Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

southwest1675

Re: Southwest Schedule Extension 6/28

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 pm

BNA-PDX one of these extensions haha. Not this one probably.

flymco753

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm

TPA-DTW & MSP will return.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm

I thought PAE is getting pushed back for enviornmental stuff?

But anway, usually this update is pretty uneventful if I remember correctly. (when it comes to new routes)

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Southwest Schedule Extension 6/28

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:31 pm

The next Southwest schedule extension is due out in 7 days, on June 28th. They'll be opening their schedule through March 6th 2019.

Of course, we should see the typical north-to-south increased frequencies/return of seasonal routes. Is this also finally when we'll get an update on PAE? Maybe we could see a couple more LAS routes? I remember Gary Kelly saying something about how he sees more growth for Southwest there.
I don't expect to see anything Hawaii related yet.

Anyone have anything they hope to see with WN?

BWIAirport

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Well unfortunately what I hope to see is not what I expect to see.
As you mentioned, seasonal increases to warm destinations will appear. I think the next release covering S19 will have Hawaiian routes.
My forecast:
Hawaii - 2019
Redeye flights - 2020
Canada - 2021
South America - 2022
Europe - 2025

jplatts

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Maybe we could see a couple more LAS routes? I remember Gary Kelly saying something about how he sees more growth for Southwest there.

My predictions for WN expansion at LAS:
  • Addition of LAS-CVG and LAS-MEM nonstop service
  • LAS-MSP nonstop service extended from seasonal nonstop service to daily year-round nonstop service
  • LAS-LGB nonstop service extended to daily nonstop service on a year-round basis if WN can acquire extra slots at LGB
  • Revival of previously discontinued WN nonstop routes between LAS and the East Coast

dbo861

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Last year they had seasonal, weekend only DSM-PHX with the winter extension and last schedule release they added daily daily DSM-PHX thru the middle of December. Hopefully they bring back a daily flight or at least weekend service until April like last year.

stlgph

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Reminder - Easter comes April 21 next year. Be a great time to go to Hawaii.

Just sayin.

jetmatt777

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm

I’d like to see BNA-OKC or MCO-OKC go daily. Currently Sunday service.

BWIAirport

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

BWI-SFO seems to be a hole in their network, although WN flies BWI-SJC/OAK/SMF and AS and UA fly BWI-SFO already. NK is cutting BWI-OAK in November-ish.

msycajun

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Notable that this extension will cover the transition from south terminal to the new north terminal here at MSY. The word is that pretty much everyone will be tight on gates until the switch because a few gates are being moved over early (which seems asinine to me). I'm not sure if we'll see it this extension because it only covers a few weeks before to a few weeks after, but I believe we will see some sizeable expansions, whether from WN or others once gates are no longer an issue. I'd think that a daily RDU and PIT would do well along with 1-2 weekly to MKE and ORF. Based on loadfactors, DEN and MDW could use more flights as well.

evank516

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:19 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
BWI-SFO seems to be a hole in their network, although WN flies BWI-SJC/OAK/SMF and AS and UA fly BWI-SFO already. NK is cutting BWI-OAK in November-ish.

NKs exit may be WN's green light then. They may be able to charge a higher fare if they don't have to compete with NK.

enilria

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm

jplatts wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
Maybe we could see a couple more LAS routes? I remember Gary Kelly saying something about how he sees more growth for Southwest there.

• LAS-MSP nonstop service extended from seasonal nonstop service to daily year-round nonstop service
  • LAS-LGB nonstop service extended to daily nonstop service on a year-round basis if WN can acquire extra slots at LGB
  • Revival of previously discontinued WN nonstop routes between LAS and the East Coast

I don't get the impression they do that well in LAS intermediate/long-haul.

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 pm

jplatts wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

LAS-ALB resumes in October. I wonder if they'll resume LAS-PVD and LAS-ISP. Maybe even LAS-MHT on a Saturday only basis?

jplatts

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

evank516 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

NKs exit may be WN's green light then. They may be able to charge a higher fare if they don't have to compete with NK.

I agree that the lack of WN BWI-SFO nonstop service is a hole. The lack of nonstop service to BWI from RNO and TUS are even bigger holes than the lack of WN nonstop service to BWI from SFO because there is currently no nonstop service to BWI, DCA, or IAD from RNO and TUS on any airline whereas WN already has nonstop service to BWI from OAK and SMF.

According to the DOT Domestic Consumer Airfare Report, there was an average of 269 passengers a day traveling between RNO and the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI, IAD, and DCA) in Q3 2017 and an average of 287 passengers a day traveling between TUS and the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI, IAD, and DCA) in Q3 2017. There is probably enough demand for WN to add nonstop service to RNO and TUS out of BWI.

WN would also be able to capture more of the leisure travel to the Lake Tahoe area from the East Coast (both in the Baltimore/Washington region and in other East Coast markets) if WN adds BWI-RNO nonstop service since WN would be able to connect passengers to RNO from other East Coast destinations through BWI. In addition, RNO is the closest commercial airport to Carson City (the capital city of Nevada), and there is government travel between RNO and BWI with RNO being the closest commercial airport to Carson City.

knope2001

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Maybe we can just post links to the last several "what will the new Southwest schedule bring" threads and save time? ;-)

phluser

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:12 pm

WN is kind of thin with Bay Area long haul/transcon flights.

As NK cuts OAK-BWI, WN is suspending OAK-EWR at the end of the year too. WN's OAK-CMH is another route that went seasonal, but I recall flying BWI-CMH-OAK in Feb 2016, and as a BWI originating pax supported the CMH-OAK leg because the single BWI-OAK flight didn't fit my schedule.

Adding SFO-BWI might dilute from it's OAK-BWI as well, but maybe it could be serviced between April and November, when demand is higher. I'd think it would look into Hawaii flights for the Bay Area (notably OAK and SJC).

FA9295

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNA-PDX one of these extensions haha. Not this one probably.

One can only wish. ;)

I'm going for BNA-PDX and MKE-PDX.

evank516

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 pm

jplatts wrote:
evank516 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

I agree that the lack of WN BWI-SFO nonstop service is a hole. The lack of nonstop service to BWI from RNO and TUS are even bigger holes than the lack of WN nonstop service to BWI from SFO because there is currently no nonstop service to BWI, DCA, or IAD from RNO and TUS on any airline whereas WN already has nonstop service to BWI from OAK and SMF.

According to the DOT Domestic Consumer Airfare Report, there was an average of 269 passengers a day traveling between RNO and the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI, IAD, and DCA) in Q3 2017 and an average of 287 passengers a day traveling between TUS and the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI, IAD, and DCA) in Q3 2017. There is probably enough demand for WN to add nonstop service to RNO and TUS out of BWI.

WN would also be able to capture more of the leisure travel to the Lake Tahoe area from the East Coast (both in the Baltimore/Washington region and in other East Coast markets) if WN adds BWI-RNO nonstop service since WN would be able to connect passengers to RNO from other East Coast destinations through BWI. In addition, RNO is the closest commercial airport to Carson City (the capital city of Nevada), and there is government travel between RNO and BWI with RNO being the closest commercial airport to Carson City.

I would agree about BWI-RNO if it weren't for the extreme scarcity of flights from RNO to the East Coast in general. The only year round flight to the east coast is on B6 from JFK and even that is less than daily depending on the season. I'm not really sure RNO attracts much from the east coast and I'm not sure Lake Tahoe's proximity matters all that much, especially since you can also get there from SMF. Most people from the East Coast go to LAS over RNO, and I'm guessing if there was really a true market (though PDEW is pretty high for a route lacking nonstop flights), WN would have already started it.

stlgph

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Maybe we can just post links to the last several "what will the new Southwest schedule bring" threads and save time? ;-)

nah, this quarter I'm going with Corpus Christi to Spokane!

:0

Chuska

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:39 pm

ABQ-AUS. Currently WN does it on FR/SU, G4 on TU/TH/SU, and F9 on MO/WE/SA. Never seen anything like this before but we have all seven days a week covered by one of three airlines. What's really weird is that WN has 3 flights on Sundays. This is the southwest U.S., which is WN turf, lets see it go daily, WN. And while we're on the subject, lets see ABQ-SAT as well.

wnflyguy

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 pm

LGB extra flights will be extended into November and December. This is because JetBlue hasn't officially released the slots back to the city. It's more of we have a temporarily reduction in service. I think B6 is hesitant to give up complete control Incase the ramp up in BUR and ONT fail. So WN will not ramping up taking all the available slots only to potentially lose in later. I do expect Daily DEN added in November and December.

WN supposed to be starting Etops simulation flights on select flights from Oakland in the summer!
Any one else heard anything about this?

PAE push until FAA finishes it's new environmental impact report.

Flyguy

evank516

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm

stlgph wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

Harlingen to Islip sounds good too :D

czek6

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Didn’t Southwest already try service between BWI and Tucson? Maybe it was Saturday only or seasonal, but I know the route has been flown.

jplatts wrote:
evank516 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 pm

evank516 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

Harlingen to Islip sounds good too :D

Here’s an even better one... how about XNA to MAF, with the aircraft continuing on to GSP?

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 pm

BNA-SEA goes year-round. Book it.

mtnwest1979

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Either add or reduce OAK-BUR by one, as long as there is an even dozen lol.
Will WN add nonstop DSM-PIT? They could , ya know. Oh wait, they COULD add nonstop between any cities they serve.... It is such a hole in the WN network. Yeah, because no one flies it haha.
So many holes ion airline networks according to so many holes on here hahaha. Anyway. We'll see.....

jplatts

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 am

I could see WN adding MKE-OAK and dropping MKE-SFO nonstop service since WN would be able to offer connections to destinations in Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest, and secondary airports in Greater Los Angeles from MKE through OAK if WN added MKE-OAK nonstop service.

Runway28L

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Will WN add nonstop DSM-PIT? They could , ya know. Oh wait, they COULD add nonstop between any cities they serve.... It is such a hole in the WN network. Yeah, because no one flies it haha.
So many holes ion airline networks according to so many holes on here hahaha. Anyway. We'll see.....

You’re kidding right?

I don’t see WN doing DSM-PIT at all. But OAK-PIT is still a big oppertunity for WN imo and it’s been rumored for years.

WN has become very complicit at PIT after all the talk of expanding here to relieve BWI. If they wanted to add OAK-PIT then it better be sooner rather than later. UA recently made PIT-SFO year-round and added a 2nd daily flight. The door would really slam shut if AS or even NK were to jump in on PIT-Bay Area before WN.
Last edited by Runway28L on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 am

Runway28L wrote:
But OAK-PIT is still a big oppertunity for WN imo and it’s been rumored for years.

WN has become very complicit at PIT after all the talk of expanding here to relieve BWI. If they wanted to add OAK-PIT then it better be sooner rather than later. UA recently made PIT-SFO year-round and added a 2nd daily flight. The door would really slam shut if AS were to jump in on PIT-Bay Area before WN.

I agree that WN adding PIT-OAK and PIT-SAN could happen, especially since PIT already has nonstop service to LAX on WN. WN also has opportunities to add nonstop service to OAK from other markets in the Midwestern US and Eastern US, including ALB, BOS, BUF, CVG, CLE, FLL, BDL, SDF, MEM, OMA, PHL, RDU, TPA, and IAD.

WN could add SAN-BOS, SAN-MSP, and SAN-OMA nonstop service in order to better compete against AS at SAN, and WN could also add SAN-RDU nonstop service in response to F9 adding SAN-RDU nonstop service.

While WN does already serve BWI nonstop from LAX, OAK, and SJC, WN could add LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service in order to better compete against AS in California. While IAD and BWI are both in the Baltimore/Washington region, IAD and BWI are almost 60 miles apart from each other with IAD being located west of Washington, DC and with BWI being located east of Washington, DC. Many of the high-tech companies in the DC area are also closer to IAD than to BWI or DCA, and WN can capture more of the Silicon Valley to DC business travel by adding SJC-IAD nonstop service.

jplatts

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 am

Southwest can stimulate additional demand for CVG-MCO service if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service. There is actually significantly more O&D demand to MCO from some markets similar in size to CVG or smaller than CVG that already have nonstop service to MCO on WN, including ALB, AUS, BUF, CMH, BDL, IND, MCI, MKE, BNA, and RDU. WN can likely do well on CVG-MCO nonstop service if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service since WN already has brand recognition in the Cincinnati market.

WN could also extend CVG-PHX nonstop service to year round and WN could also add CVG-HOU nonstop service in order to fill in the void left by F9 cuts at CVG.

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 am

flymco753 wrote:
TPA-DTW & MSP will return.

Not this extension. It will be on the next one which fills in spring Break in March\April

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 am

This extension is only to March 6th. Spring break will be on the next extension which is how WN normally does this. SOME north/south flying will be in this one, like MSP-RSW for spring training in February.

Jplatts - good luck with that LAS-MSP prediction. Just like DAL not sticking around, LAS won’t be daily yet until WN can get more gate space utilization at MSP. Fairly tight in T2

Midwestindy

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:02 am

Runway28L wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

You’re kidding right?

I don’t see WN doing DSM-PIT at all. But OAK-PIT is still a big oppertunity for WN imo and it’s been rumored for years.

WN has become very complicit at PIT after all the talk of expanding here to relieve BWI. If they wanted to add OAK-PIT then it better be sooner rather than later. UA recently made PIT-SFO year-round and added a 2nd daily flight. The door would really slam shut if AS or even NK were to jump in on PIT-Bay Area before WN.

DSM-PIT was a joke

ctrabs0114

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 am

msycajun wrote:
Notable that this extension will cover the transition from south terminal to the new north terminal here at MSY. The word is that pretty much everyone will be tight on gates until the switch because a few gates are being moved over early (which seems asinine to me). I'm not sure if we'll see it this extension because it only covers a few weeks before to a few weeks after, but I believe we will see some sizeable expansions, whether from WN or others once gates are no longer an issue. I'd think that a daily RDU and PIT would do well along with 1-2 weekly to MKE and ORF. Based on loadfactors, DEN and MDW could use more flights as well.

Except the load factors for the seasonal Sunday only MSY-PIT were, to say the least, dismal, from what I read in the PIT Discussion thread.

ctrabs0114

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:08 am

Runway28L wrote:
You’re kidding right?

I don’t see WN doing DSM-PIT at all.

I detected quite a bit of sarcasm in that DSM-PIT rumor, to be honest.

But OAK-PIT is still a big oppertunity for WN imo and it’s been rumored for years.

Which would make more business sense for WN if they were to expand to the Bay Area: PIT-SJC or PIT-OAK? I get that WN has a base at OAK, but if they were going after business travel, then SJC would seem to be a better option since it's closer to the tech businesses of Silicon Valley than OAK. I didn't include SFO (1) because of UA's double-daily service and (2) because WN seems to be emphasizing expansion at SJC over SFO to avoid an inevitable three-way fare war with UA and AS.

The door isn't just closing on PIT-Bay Area for WN, but I would think that F9's planned PIT-SAN flight might also slam the door shut on any planned service on that route from WN (though, given F9's dartboard strategy, especially at PIT, that door might not close as quickly as some might suggest).

jplatts

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 pm

MSN is going to be announcing a new airline and 2 new nonstop routes next week, and WN starting service out of MSN is a possibility since WN is going to be extending its schedule next week on 6/28. The upcoming MSN announcement is being discussed at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383559&start=50#p20503261.

LotsaRunway

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:39 pm

jplatts wrote:
MSN is going to be announcing a new airline and 2 new nonstop routes next week, and WN starting service out of MSN is a possibility since WN is going to be extending its schedule next week on 6/28. The upcoming MSN announcement is being discussed at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383559&start=50#p20503261.

Since MSN is expecting an announcement of only two new flights, I'm skeptical that WN is starting service there.

SANFan

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:41 pm

jplatts wrote:

WN starting service at MSN in January? I sincerely doubt it!

Even if they were to fly to warm-weather destinations in Fl or wherever, I really don't expect WN would begin service at a new airport in the dead of winter. The summer sked, perhaps...

bb

WN732

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:41 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Since MSN is expecting an announcement of only two new flights, I'm skeptical that WN is starting service there.

It has to be Allegiant.

ucdtim17

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Which would make more business sense for WN if they were to expand to the Bay Area: PIT-SJC or PIT-OAK? I get that WN has a base at OAK, but if they were going after business travel, then SJC would seem to be a better option since it's closer to the tech businesses of Silicon Valley than OAK. I didn't include SFO (1) because of UA's double-daily service and (2) because WN seems to be emphasizing expansion at SJC over SFO to avoid an inevitable three-way fare war with UA and AS.

The door isn't just closing on PIT-Bay Area for WN, but I would think that F9's planned PIT-SAN flight might also slam the door shut on any planned service on that route from WN (though, given F9's dartboard strategy, especially at PIT, that door might not close as quickly as some might suggest).

I believe TUS is the only route WN is flying at SJC that they aren't at OAK and that's likely just a response to AS. So it would be odd to start SJC instead of OAK. SJC is certainly more convenient for the South Bay but East Bay + SF is a much larger market.

msycajun

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:06 pm

WN732 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
jplatts wrote:

It has to be Allegiant.

Could be NK. Wouldn't be surprising considering they just added GSO and AVL.

evank516

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:08 pm

WN732 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
jplatts wrote:

It has to be Allegiant.

I'll bet my life it's not WN. MSN to MKE is about an hour and a half drive, so if anyone around Madison wants to fly WN, they'll drive to MKE and I'm sure WN sees that.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 pm

It is a Tuesday announcement so I also doubt it is WN.

WN732

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

WN would have added FAT before MSN.

avi8

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

How about TPA/MCO-BOS? They are logical adds in my opinion and don't know why WN never flew those routes. B6 had the BOS-TPA route for themselves for a while and then DL jumped in with 2 daily flights and now going up to 3.

FLYKTPA

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

avi8 wrote:
How about TPA/MCO-BOS? They are logical adds in my opinion and don't know why WN never flew those routes. B6 had the BOS-TPA route for themselves for a while and then DL jumped in with 2 daily flights and now going up to 3.

With DL, B6 and NK all serving the market with up to 9 flights as day Southwest is probably like “what’s the point?”.

tphuang

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
avi8 wrote:

With DL, B6 and NK all serving the market with up to 9 flights as day Southwest is probably like “what’s the point?”.

because they'd get killed on that route. Same reason, they don't try EWR-TPA and cut EWR-MCO down to once daily. DL is not doing so hot on those 2 routes either btw.

Balloonchaser

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 pm

So... Anyone see anything happening at ISP this round? ;)

^ They have like what.. 7 unused gates?

FATFlyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 pm

jplatts wrote:
MSN is going to be announcing a new airline and 2 new nonstop routes next week, and WN starting service out of MSN is a possibility since WN is going to be extending its schedule next week on 6/28. .

WN732 wrote:
WN would have added FAT before MSN.

I've heard not to expect new cities for WN before 2020 except for Hawaii and PAE.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos