Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

AMS Tower

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm

I didn't know this but the Air Traffic Controllers at the AMS tower are still using paper labels on metal "trays" to schedule and shuffle departing/arriving aircraft. Who knew!
Is it "normal" for air traffic control to be so..."outdated" or is AMS the exception?

See video at time index 0:16 (lady pics up metal tray and walks with it to the other side).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwesxvaa0Z0

XRadar98

Re: AMS Tower

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Very normal, and user friendly. Imagine looking out at 5 XXX 737’s and not knowing the call sign of the first, second.....oh wait look at my strips that are in order!

GoSteelers

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Yeah at 99 percent of FAA towers this is how it’s done. There is a “stripless” system being tested at one of the bigger towers, maybe Newark? The system works.

32andBelow

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 pm

GoSteelers wrote:
Yeah at 99 percent of FAA towers this is how it’s done. There is a “stripless” system being tested at one of the bigger towers, maybe Newark? The system works.

Most large towers don’t really rely on strips. They have the ASD-X for aircraft on the ground and the DBRITE for planes on arrival and it’s all automatically tagged up.

MeanGreen

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am

The big towers I have worked at use paper strips and then the ASD-X. Looking out the window always comes first.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 am

XRadar98 wrote:
Very normal, and user friendly. Imagine looking out at 5 XXX 737’s and not knowing the call sign of the first, second.....oh wait look at my strips that 6are in order!

GoSteelers wrote:

Paper strips are like 70 year old grandpas still driving around in their 1982 Pontiac 6000. Sure, it might still work, but time to upgrade.

Paperless is the way to go. Plus, think of all the trees you’ll save!

MeanGreen

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:25 am

I don’t think going paperless would suit every operation. Every facility is different.

Aesma

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:58 am

The other day a segment on the news here showed that ATC in France still use those paper strips.

GoSteelers

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 am

32andBelow wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:

Most large towers don’t really rely on strips. They have the ASD-X for aircraft on the ground and the DBRITE for planes on arrival and it’s all automatically tagged up.

Appreciate it but I work at a “large” tower and we indeed use strips. The ASDE-X does not show appreqs, FRC’s, PDR’s, ramp numbers, FNS, taxi restrictions... I may be wrong, but at the “stripless” facilities, all that is a electronic strip that is on an interactive screen.

MeanGreen

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 am

You can put that info in the ASD-X but I, like you, work with strips. The previous “large” tower I worked at used a great deal of strip marking and passing strips to various other positions. I think electronic strips would have greatly slowed that complex operation down.

XRadar98

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 am

I don’t know about ASDE, as I have not seen it. But a hard copy of who is who and where is who needed in a tower without it.

KingOrGod

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am

Stripless works, is the way forward and when the dinosaurs let go of paper the world will get a whole lot more efficient. I have all under my belt and can honestly say I don't miss paper strips one single bit. If the system is intuitive and designed and adapted well, its freaking awesome.