LAXintl

Re: Alaska Airlines Network Thread 2018

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:26 pm

From today's earnings call.
AS dominates in PNW and Alaska marketshare, but much weaker in CA against likes of UA and WN.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

PlanesNTrains

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 am

LAXintl wrote:
AS dominates in PNW and Alaska marketshare, but much weaker in CA against likes of UA and WN.

Thanks for posting that. I miss your earnings threads. Hint hint.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

hoya

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 am

LAXintl wrote:

AS is going to have it rough when WN starts those Hawaii flights from SAN and SJC. They've already decreased some of their Hawaii flying out of SFO after UA's growth this year.
Hoya Saxa!!

AirFiero

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Interesting that AS has nearly half as much of the seat share at SJC of WN. That looks pretty good to me. I wonder how the LFs compare?

On the other hand, look at the disadvantage AS has versus UA at SFO. Much bigger hill to climb, unless the LFs are better.

enilria

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 pm

LAXintl wrote:

I didn’t listen to the call, but I think with the management reorganization coming that was previously announced I think these slides may be setting up an evolution of their Cali strategy.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

I read the transcript and honestly I don’t feel like they said much one way or the other about California. The pressure appeared to more be on HI performance.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

tphuang

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 pm

I went through the entire earnings call transcript. It sounds like the west coast yield pressure have leveled off a little bit. Maybe they've just dropped to natural level now given the capacity in the market. PNW sounds like doing well for them still. Yesterday, I took a look at yields out of a bunch of SEA market for Q2, AS looks to still have point of sale there vs Delta. At this point, AS just needs to keep adding capacity there. DL seems to be willing to loose a lot of money.

It's interesting that they mentioned yield pressure on HI. That seems to match what I've been seeing in fares from LAX to HI. The fare are definitely down. Imo, they still got quite a few to go before reaching the transcon level. Just compare SAN/SJC to HNL vs JFK/BOS/MIA/BWI. That's where I think WN entrance will drop the prices.

EA CO AS

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm

enilria wrote:
I didn’t listen to the call, but I think with the management reorganization coming that was previously announced I think these slides may be setting up an evolution of their Cali strategy.

Except it wasn't a reorg; as part of reducing overhead, 100 FTEs were reduced from the management ranks, and while some were in the form of not backfilling some open positions, just under 70 were actual reductions in force. Those being RIF'd will be notified in the coming days, unfortunately.

But to be clear, this wasn't a reorganization, a change of strategy, or anything like that. It was a painful, but necessary, reduction in force to reduce overhead a bit.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

FYI, this slide is not new; it first appeared during an AAG presentation in September. The title of the slide was: "Seven West Coast Cities Anchor Our Route Network Today."

I would like to know what these totals on the slide were a year or two ago -- an indication of change or growth since. The slide admits that they are generally #2 in the CA cities -- nothing hard to believe about that. I don't see this as anything telling or pessimistic.

bb

PlanesNTrains

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 pm

What’s interesting is they chose total seats and not market share. Or ami misreading it?
-Dave

EA CO AS

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 pm

SANFan wrote:
FYI, this slide is not new; it first appeared during an AAG presentation in September. The title of the slide was: "Seven West Coast Cities Anchor Our Route Network Today."

I would like to know what these totals on the slide were a year or two ago -- an indication of change or growth since. The slide admits that they are generally #2 in the CA cities -- nothing hard to believe about that. I don't see this as anything telling or pessimistic.

bb

Growth of hubs/focus cities since the acquisition:

ANC up 9%
SEA up 9%
PDX up 12%
SFO up 9%
SJC up 45%
LAX up 1%
SAN up 31%

The objective is to be relevant in each major west coast hub/focus city served, increasing the utility to travelers on the west coast.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

FA9295

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

ANC up 9%
SEA up 9%
PDX up 12%
SFO up 9%
SJC up 45%
LAX up 1%
SAN up 31%

The objective is to be relevant in each major west coast hub/focus city served, increasing the utility to travelers on the west coast.

Those are some good numbers for SAN and SJC. I figured that SEA would be significantly higher than PDX, though. Seems a bit odd there.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

winginit

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
What’s interesting is they chose total seats and not market share. Or ami misreading it?

Apart from probably not wanting to externally share MIDT data for fear of violating their MIDT subscription, MIDT wouldn't show WN unless it were internally adjusted, which you also wouldn't share externally.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 pm

winginit wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Apart from probably not wanting to externally share MIDT data for fear of violating their MIDT subscription, MIDT wouldn't show WN unless it were internally adjusted, which you also wouldn't share externally.

Makes sense.
-Dave

SANFan

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:36 am

EA CO AS wrote:

ANC up 9%
SEA up 9%
PDX up 12%
SFO up 9%
SJC up 45%
LAX up 1%
SAN up 31%

Thanks for that EA'. Nice to see. I know that the SDIA reported with their Sept Pax Report that AS had the second largest increase in pax (with 21, 468 more pax than in Sept 2017 (and WN was 3rd!), while serving 6 more (new) destinations than they did a year earlier (WN had 2 new ones.) AS was also the 2nd fastest growing in pax y-o-y at SAN in August. (BTW, interestingly, the greatest growth at SAN for both months was UA... with of course no new routes but capacity increases via new freq & larger a/c.)

The only reason I mention these stats is that AAG is definitely growing in SAN and has been for several years. Judging by the a/c upgrades coming next spring -- 4 routes are seeing upgrades from EMJs to 'Buses and Boeings in March and April, plus freq increases are also happening.

bb

SFOtoORD

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

They also used Domestic seats only which makes their share look better in SEA and SFO.

HPRamper

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:39 pm

FA9295 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

ANC up 9%
SEA up 9%
PDX up 12%
SFO up 9%
SJC up 45%
LAX up 1%
SAN up 31%

Those are some good numbers for SAN and SJC. I figured that SEA would be significantly higher than PDX, though. Seems a bit odd there.

Since it's a percentage, the number is skewed by how much larger the SEA hub is over PDX. SEA could have several more additions than PDX and PDX would still show a larger percentage increase.

enilria

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:30 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
enilria wrote:

Except it wasn't a reorg; as part of reducing overhead, 100 FTEs were reduced from the management ranks, and while some were in the form of not backfilling some open positions, just under 70 were actual reductions in force. Those being RIF'd will be notified in the coming days, unfortunately.

But to be clear, this wasn't a reorganization, a change of strategy, or anything like that. It was a painful, but necessary, reduction in force to reduce overhead a bit.

There are shoes remaining to be dropped in the AS org chart.

EA CO AS

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 am

enilria wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
enilria wrote:

There are shoes remaining to be dropped in the AS org chart.

Just one. The first, Greg Mays, already occurred.

airplaneboy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

SANFan wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

ANC up 9%
SEA up 9%
PDX up 12%
SFO up 9%
SJC up 45%
LAX up 1%
SAN up 31%

Thanks for that EA'. Nice to see. I know that the SDIA reported with their Sept Pax Report that AS had the second largest increase in pax (with 21, 468 more pax than in Sept 2017 (and WN was 3rd!), while serving 6 more (new) destinations than they did a year earlier (WN had 2 new ones.) AS was also the 2nd fastest growing in pax y-o-y at SAN in August. (BTW, interestingly, the greatest growth at SAN for both months was UA... with of course no new routes but capacity increases via new freq & larger a/c.)

The only reason I mention these stats is that AAG is definitely growing in SAN and has been for several years. Judging by the a/c upgrades coming next spring -- 4 routes are seeing upgrades from EMJs to 'Buses and Boeings in March and April, plus freq increases are also happening.

bb

Can you provide the number of passengers carried by AS and WN in these y-o-y comparisons? Thank you.

jplatts

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 am

The top domestic destinations traveled to out of PDX that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX include DEN, FLL, IND, BNA, MSY, RDU, TPA, and IAD. AS could add nonstop service to DEN, FLL, IND, BNA, MSY, RDU, TPA, and IAD out of PDX.

I think that AS is likely to announce new nonstop domestic routes out of PDX either late this year or sometime next year, and I think that AS is also likely to add at least PDX-IND, PDX-BNA, PDX-MSY, PDX-RDU, and PDX-TPA nonstop service in the near future.

SANFan

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I know that the SDIA reported with their Sept Pax Report that AS had the second largest increase in pax (with 21, 468 more pax than in Sept 2017 (and WN was 3rd!), while serving 6 more (new) destinations than they did a year earlier (WN had 2 new ones.) AS was also the 2nd fastest growing in pax y-o-y at SAN in August. (BTW, interestingly, the greatest growth at SAN for both months was UA... with of course no new routes but capacity increases via new freq & larger a/c.)

bb

Can you provide the number of passengers carried by AS and WN in these y-o-y comparisons? Thank you.

Sorry for the delayed answer but I just now saw your post.

No, I can't provide the pax counts for the 2 cx (or any) as SDIA doesn't provide exact pax totals by carrier. I keep "approximate" counts, as provided in the monthly stats at SAN but these are based on terminal areas and those numbers mix cx -- especially now that WN flies in and out of both T1E and T1W, and AAG flies in and out of both T1W and T2E!

The T100s might be of help but they have a several-month lag built in. Here's the link to the SAN Pax Reports if you're interested: https://www.san.org/News/Air-Traffic-Reports

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos