Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Zoedyn
Topic Author

China Southern secures traffic rights to operate Beijing-London service

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 pm

http://finance.eastmoney.com/news/1350, ... 48072.html

At China Southern's Annual General Meeting of Shareholders held in Guangzhou on June 15, the airline's high-ranking officials revealed CZ has secured its long-anticipated traffic rights to operate Beijing-London service from the Chinese capital's new mega-airport in Daxing District, and stressed that the service would be put into operation immediately after the official certificate from CAAC is issued, as per the Chinese report

Congratulations to CZ
Surely a good omen for the carrier in its aspirations to kick off its operations to a good start at Beijing New Airport, where CZ would be a major home base carrier alongside SkyTeam alliance carrier China Eastern

Currently, Air China has hogged the coveted BJS-LON route for decades among Chinese carriers, due to CAAC's controversial "One Route One Carrier" restrictive policy, which is, fortunately, to be loosened very soon, according to latest revised regulations governing traffic rights for long-haul international routes

Very hopefully, CZ would put to productive use at Beijing New Airport its jumbos of A380s that have been underutilized for years due to a paucity of popular trunk routes like PEK-AMS

Slash787

Re: China Southern secures traffic rights to operate Beijing-London service

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:30 pm

By London I assume LHR, I thought there were no slots available for LHR and you have to buy them at a very high price if a slot gets free so any idea how much was this slot sold for?

mmo

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Slash787 wrote:
By London I assume LHR, I thought there were no slots available for LHR and you have to buy them at a very high price if a slot gets free so any idea how much was this slot sold for?

That is why this isn't really big news. Unless CAAC is going to buy slots, if there are any for sale or force another carrier to divest slots, it will be a little while before China Southern operates into LHR.

TC957

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Great news ! The Chinese airlines don't seem to have much difficulty getting into LHR with all the recent new flights, so I don't see why CZ can't put an extra daily flight in either. Otherwise, I'm sure LGW would welcome another new China service too.

Armaghman

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm

There is still slots fir evening departures from Heathrow which work for China given time difference.

I agree the A380 will be on its way

Cunard

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:54 am

mmo wrote:
Slash787 wrote:

That is why this isn't really big news. Unless CAAC is going to buy slots, if there are any for sale or force another carrier to divest slots, it will be a little while before China Southern operates into LHR.

Regarding your last comment, you do realise that China Southern currently fly into LHR 10 times a week with 7 flights on a daily basis to Guangzhou and 3 times a week to Wuhan on a B772.

China Southern also fly 4 times a week freighter service with a B777F from London Stansted to Guangzhou via Frankfurt.

MAG and London Stansted have recently stated that they intend securing a Chinese link with a Chinese airline in the foreseeable future and considering that China Southern already use the airport STN could well be a good contender for the new Beijing flight so the London airport might not necessarily be LHR especially if suitable slots are unavailable.

I'm sure that LGW would also like to gain China Southern and Beijing to it's growing portfolio of long haul airlines and destinations.

eamondzhang

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 am

Cunard wrote:
mmo wrote:
Regarding your last comment, you do realise that China Southern currently fly into LHR 10 times a week with 7 flights on a daily basis to Guangzhou and 3 times a week to Wuhan on a B772.

787-8 not 772. CZ doesn't have 772s in pax config anymore.

Michael

Cunard

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Cunard wrote:
mmo wrote:

Michael

Yes I do apologise, my mistake regarding the aircraft type being a B772 rather than a B787-8 I should have known better as I only saw one approaching LHR last Thursday.

China Southern have never flown to LHR with a B772, since they first started flying from Guangzhou to LHR in 2015 it has always been on a B787-8.

I appreciate the correction :-)

eamondzhang

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 am

Cunard wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Michael

Yes I do apologise, my mistake regarding the aircraft type being a 787-8 rather than a 772, I should have known better as I only saw one approaching LHR last Thursday.

China Southern have never flown to LHR with a B772, since they first started flying from Guangzhou to LHR in 2015 it has always been on a B787-8.

I appreciate the correction :-)

No worries at all. IIRC CZ operated A332s (PW engine version only since they have F class) into LHR before enough 788s are delivered so it's not entirely a 787 history for CZ.

I believe CAN-LHR would be one of the first routes for A350 when it joins the fleet.

Michael

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm

No doubt CZ would prefer to fly into LHR as the preferred airport for its London service

It is to start a twice weekly A332 service to LHR from CAN via Sanya City of Hainan Province beginning July 12 very shortly

CZ651 CAN0910 – 1045SYX1315 – 1845LHR 332 47
CZ652 LHR2210 – 1600+1SYX1855+1 – 2020+1CAN 332 47

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2018/

According to Chinese press, this SYX-LHR service will be the 1st intercontinental route to Europe from island Hainan Province, also the region's 2nd intercontinental nonstop service after HAK-SYD on Hainan Airlines

Following CAAC's relaxation of the "One Route One Carrier" policy, other popular intercontinental long-haul routes out of BJS would also be up for grabs for Chinese carriers, particularly those airlines that would relocate to Beijing New Airport.

For instance BJS-CDG, BJS-MXP, BJS-FRA, BJS-MUC, BJS-NYC, BJS-LAX, BJS-IAD, BJS-YVR etc

China Southern and China Eastern stand a good chance to open these routes

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Moreover, CZ is highly likely to launch PER, NBO and other brand new destinations out of BJS by leveraging the links it already serves to its advantage at its home base CAN

OA940

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I'd hope they'd use the A350, since it will come with the same Business Class seat as El Al's 787's. Both LHR and LGW could work for the airline.

Cunard

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 am

OA940 wrote:
I'd hope they'd use the A350, since it will come with the same Business Class seat as El Al's 787's. Both LHR and LGW could work for the airline.

Considering that China Southern already fly from LHR it's not a case of ''could work for the airline'' it obviously does as they have been flying into LHR since 2013.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

While there seems to be nothing substantially new with this belated paywalled Aviationweek report China Southern Gets Approval For London–Beijing Route, it does put LHR as a more likely airport for CZ’s LON-BJS service by suggesting a possibility that CZ might profitably reallocate its existing slots at LHR to its Beijing routing

Must say that’s entirely possible given the slot crunch at LHR

As of now, CZ operates LHR-WUH, LHR-CAN, plus the upcoming LHR-SYX on July 12 next month

flydude380

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Perhaps off topic... but, this airline deserves prosperity! I flew them FEB 2017 to and from SYD and you can see how hard they are trying to become a 5 star premium carrier. 787, A380 and A330 I flew were all fantastic and clean. Crew both in the air and on the ground delivered excellent service. They also even came up to me to complete reviews. I don’t consider airline food anything special. However, food I must say was great! I usually like to order my meals so I know what I’m getting and love a good Indian vegetarian option. I must say it was Indian all the way even via CAN. Unlike Air China, whose caterers in PEK considered an Indian meal to be sticky rice and a few kidney beans (non-curried form and I guess came out the tin).

IFE was considerably good and better than Air China. Improvements would make it brilliant!

Wishing them the very best.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos