Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NZ321

Re: Air New Zealand new expectations

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm

vhqpa wrote:
I'm not sure about India. Too far and I doubt the yields make it worthwhile. Much better off flying to SIN and using the SQ network to get passengers to a number of destinations rather than choosing one or in this case having one chosen for you (BOM).

As for fleet I see an A350-900 order to replace the 772ER with an A350-1000 order at a later date when 773ER retirements start. That will give them a nice mainline fleet of A32S/787/A350.

Seems entirely possible. But remember, NZ has been in the Boeing long haul club for a fair few years. I am punting for A359 to be supplemented by A35K. But NZ may well go the way of a select few 78J plus 778 or 779, We shall see.

JohnVRG

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm

GRU is a bigger market in Brazil, for both premium and cargo to pretty much anywhere in the world, but has the flaw of facing TOO MUCH competition to Buenos Aires and Santiago.

Right now, they have Qatar, Turkish, LATAM, Avianca, Ethiopian, GOL, Aerolineas and Emirates struggling on these markets.

IMHO, the statement in this post about facing competition with LATAM via SCL is quite something they could ignore. The service between GIG/GRU and EZE/SCL with them has a waaaay too bad quality and also a connection time that IS a fact when choosing options to go to Oceania from here. If we had a direct connection from either SP/RJ to Auckland/Sydney, they would win BY FAR from the competition here, with WAY better services and flights that are just an hour longer than Dubai, which already is a big success even for a 14 hour flight.

Also, if NZ wanted to make a good move of that, they should push Avianca Brazil (Star Alliance colleague) to fly to EZE at this moment to improve services for passengers coming to all of Brazil with the best airline quality in here and see if they could merge well.

I would only say that GIG would be the best option for them because of the bigger runway (10/28 has 4000m), less competition, less crowded slots and airport altitude at sea level. The distance between Rio and SP is only 45 mins by plane and there are PLENTY of options to go between the two cities to be able to reach the premium market they're looking for.

OA940

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
OA940 wrote:
... GIG ... very surprising choices if they happen.

GIG is being considered - on 14 June, NZ's CEO said (albeit with poor grammar): "I think ultimately Rio to Sao Paulo is a really interesting destination for us."

See page 65 of 75 of: https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/201 ... script.pdf.

Cheers,

C.

Oh thanks. That's quite interesting. The grammar is horrible, but maybe he actually meant to literally do AKL-GRU-GIG, and considering GRU-GIG is a 40 minute flight I doubt they'll need more aircraft allocated to the route than they'd need for just AKL-GRU. It would probably help with load factors, especially if the airline wants to do it with the 778 (assuming that is being ordered)

zkncj

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 pm

NZ321 wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I'm not sure about India. Too far and I doubt the yields make it worthwhile. Much better off flying to SIN and using the SQ network to get passengers to a number of destinations rather than choosing one or in this case having one chosen for you (BOM).

As for fleet I see an A350-900 order to replace the 772ER with an A350-1000 order at a later date when 773ER retirements start. That will give them a nice mainline fleet of A32S/787/A350.

Seems entirely possible. But remember, NZ has been in the Boeing long haul club for a fair few years. I am punting for A359 to be supplemented by A35K. But NZ may well go the way of a select few 78J plus 778 or 779, We shall see.

Don’t thinking being in the Boeing club, for an long time will stop NZ from changing.

For example in the past:
DC10 replaced by the 742.
DC8 replaced by the 762.

Then more recently the 733s replaced by the A320. NZ had around an 40 year relationship with the 737 family, being one of the very early operators. With the original delivered 732 even had an 2-3 seating configuration.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos