B8887
Topic Author

TAP Portugal To Start SFO Next Year

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Portuguese PM is in the United States and made the announcement there.

No info on frequencies.

https://www.dn.pt/lusa/interior/pmeua-c ... 51127.html

Regards.

B8887

aemoreira1981

Re: TAP Portugal To Start SFO Next Year

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Likely with an A339?

babastud

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Great news! this has been rumored for some time. Look forward to hearing more developments.

LupineChemist

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm

"Lisboa será a primeira cidade da Europa do Sul a ter uma ligação aérea direta com São Francisco"

Translation of Lisbon will be the first city from Southern Europe to have a direct air link with San Francisco.

I guess they are completely ignoring the existing flights from Madrid and Barcelona then. And Rome if you include OAK.

Kadish

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
"Lisboa será a primeira cidade da Europa do Sul a ter uma ligação aérea direta com São Francisco"

Translation of Lisbon will be the first city from Southern Europe to have a direct air link with San Francisco.

I guess they are completely ignoring the existing flights from Madrid and Barcelona then. And Rome if you include OAK.

Indeed they are wrong.

continental004

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 pm

So exciting! Portugal is a hot destination right now with Americans and combined with the VFR traffic from the Bay Area and the Central Valley's large Portuguese immigrant population plus descendants and connections from UA domestic and to/from Spain, Italy, and France I predict this route will be a success!

airbazar

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 pm

LupineChemist wrote:

Odd statement indeed. Maybe they meant to say "year round"?
IB is seasonal (Summer only).
Who flies SFO-BCN? Are sure you're not thinking about OAK-BCN?
From OAK there's even seasonal service on a Portuguese carrier (Azores Airlines) to Portugal.
Having said that, this route was supposed to start this Summer. I wonder why another delay?

SFOA380

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm

airbazar wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

From OAK there's even seasonal service on a Portuguese carrier (Azores Airlines) to Portugal.
Having said that, this route was supposed to start this Summer. I wonder why another delay?

Level is moving their service from OAK to SFO in October. Azores serves TER once per week for two or three months in the summer so not really a ton of seats and not a n/s to LIS.

I personally remain in wonderment that there’s not an SFO to Italy flight. The PDEW numbers are huge...

babastud

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm

SFOA380 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

Level is moving their service from OAK to SFO in October. Azores serves TER once per week for two or three months in the summer so not really a ton of seats and not a n/s to LIS.

I personally remain in wonderment that there’s not an SFO to Italy flight. The PDEW numbers are huge...

Keep your fingers crossed for Air Italy at some point? Alitalia seems unable to do almost anything, not a surprise! even though last decade when they flew MXP-SFO on a 767 they did well and the flights where full. It's just that they did not have the right equipment plane, now with newer options, I'm sure a Italy to SFO will happen.

tapairbus370

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 pm

LupineChemist wrote:

I heard the minister talking and what he said was that It´s the first link from a capital in southern Europe...but he´s forgeting Madrid (as you said).

LupineChemist

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm

tapairbus370 wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

I heard the minister talking and what he said was that It´s the first link from a capital in southern Europe...but he´s forgeting Madrid (as you said).

Also forgetting the flight to Rome from Oakland.

nmdrdh787

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Nice SFO! I'm hoping ORD is after this. Can see that SFO is a good bet because of the population. Just crossing my fingers for ORD, we have been on a roll. And its Star to Star connectivity.

910A

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm

continental004 wrote:
So exciting! Portugal is a hot destination right now with Americans and combined with the VFR traffic from the Bay Area and the Central Valley's large Portuguese immigrant population plus descendants and connections from UA domestic and to/from Spain, Italy, and France I predict this route will be a success!

Most of these immigrants are from the Azores not the mainland.

BayAreaFan0

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 pm

This must just be a ~3x a week summer seasonal flight. Would be surprised if it stayed year round.

LupineChemist

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm

910A wrote:
continental004 wrote:

I'm convinced when humans finally make it to mars they'll find a community from the Azores and one from Galicia

airbazar

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
This must just be a ~3x a week summer seasonal flight. Would be surprised if it stayed year round.

I'd be surprised. TAP doesn't usually do seasonal routes. IIRC all of their routes are year round. They just cut some frequencies in the off season.

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 pm

910A wrote:
continental004 wrote:

Lisbon would add a year-round single connection airport between the west coast and more of the individual Azores islands. Most of the year it requires 2 connections from the west coast to smaller island airports like HOR and PIX.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

psa188

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 pm

I hope they do a A339 retrojet.

nmdrdh787

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
Nice SFO! I'm hoping ORD is after this. Can see that SFO is a good bet because of the population. Just crossing my fingers for ORD, we have been on a roll. And its Star to Star connectivity.

ORD would be nice, but SFO is the most logical choice. Big Star hub and quite a bit of traffic to Portugal. This route should do well.

Totally is. I think we will see ORD at some point, not daily and maybe in the 2020 time frame.

nomorerjs

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:48 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:

ORD would be nice, but SFO is the most logical choice. Big Star hub and quite a bit of traffic to Portugal. This route should do well.