Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWFlyGuy

Re: Spirit announces GSO

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
It's always surprised me how little Florida service there is from GSO. You have two daily RJs to Miami and then the non-daily Allegiant service to PIE and SFB. There's room for more.

Not just Florida but overall I'm surprised GSO doesn't have more service in general. While it is only ~760K residents and the 75th largest MSA, they could create drive divert from RDU & CLT especially given high fares. Not a full fledged hub but a focus city maybe for B6?

Keep in mind that the official MSA designation for Greensboro doesn't include either neighboring Winston-Salem or Burlington, both of which are their own defined metro areas. The Piedmont Triad CSA has over 1.6 million residents, although as noted the area leaks a great deal to RDU and CLT.

Good point, I missed that in looking at the list on Wikipedia. I would think B6 or WN or Spirit/Alligiant could do a lot more there...or even Frontier. You would have to have the airport operate like CLT where the costs are low because O&D is limited but a focus city should seemingly work there.

gsoflyer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Right,
When looking at real sizes of areas, look at the CSA rather than the MSA. Plus GSO, when looking at GSO use; it pulls heavily from Northern Mountains (Boone/Wilkesboro) and Southern Virigina (Galax, Martinsville, Danville) and parts of RDU (Chatham County) on normal basis. And when prices are right, it pulls from CLT, ROA, and RDU as a whole (see Skybus and Eastwind).

Greensboro takeoff, landing and storage fees are fairly low. Gate fees I am unsure about; but given that there are at least 9 gates unused, I can't imagine gate fees are that high.

Problem with the local market is that after Eastwind, Skybus, Shuttle America, Independence Air, etc; the locals are shy from using what they view as new and unproven airlines. I know people that are willing to drive to RDU to pay higher on Southwest than risk Allegiant despite how long Allegiant has been around.

uncgso
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm

There is no GSO specific thread so thought I would put this here...

For May 2018, "Overall, the airport said 82,484 people flew from PTI during the month, a 7.36 percent increase over the same month a year ago. Year-to-date figures show more than 360,000 people flew from the airport so far in 2018, up by 6.55 percent compared with the 338,000 passengers by May 2017."

https://www.greensboro.com/business/loc ... 5146c.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos