Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

uncgso
Topic Author

Spirit announces GSO

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Press conference going on now live https://www.facebook.com/FlyFromPTI/.

FLL, MCO, and TPA.

TYSflyer

Re: Spirit announces GSO

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm

uncgso wrote:

FLL, MCO, and TPA.

Good for both Spirit and GSO. I have always thought this would be a perfect airport for them given how underserved it is. Will be interesting to see if they grow beyond just Florida.

MO11

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:14 pm

uncgso wrote:

FLL, MCO, and TPA.

Worked for Continental Lite.

Polot

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm

MO11 wrote:
    uncgso wrote:

FLL, MCO, and TPA.

Worked for Continental Lite.

CO Lite was 20 years ago, and NK is not an airline within an airline masquerading as something low cost.

flymco753

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:38 pm

I say, if GSO proves well, we can see some DTW, ORD and LAS flights show up.

flymco753

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:38 pm

MSY and IAH are possible as well.

WNflyer1523

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 pm

2-3x weekly on both FLL and TPA, 3-4x weekly on MCO. While small, it seems like a good way to start off

MAH4546

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:04 pm

It's always surprised me how little Florida service there is from GSO. You have two daily RJs to Miami and then the non-daily Allegiant service to PIE and SFB. There's room for more.

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm

I’m shocked JetBlue hasn’t done this yet. JFK BOS FLL MCO

Looks like NK beat them to the punch

rajincajun01

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 pm

RDU’s limited gate space right now might have contributed to GSO landing NK.

Janj

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Great, a return to MCO and FLL -- two big unserved airports in already served markets. They were served by Frontier and Allegiant, respectively, though they dropped them a few years ago. Plus the connection opportunities on Spirit finally provide some LCC competition to lots of Caribbean/Latin American destinations.

I'm surprised they took this long to start North Carolina, and tbh they probably could have gotten away with branding it as some form of a "Raleigh/Charlotte" airport. Hope they advertise in all three major metros, because although the Triad could support all three less-than-daily destinations, support from the CLT and RDU areas could hopefully push it to even higher frequency.

When was the last time GSO-TPA was served? Was it Skybus or AirTran, or is this brand new?

evank516

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

They can still do JFK and BOS.

Beechtobus

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

That’s my understanding- lack of RDU gate space and the AA fortress/lack of gates/cost of gates in CLT had NK split the difference.

axiom

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Janj wrote:
    Great, a return to MCO and FLL -- two big unserved airports in already served markets. They were served by Frontier and Allegiant, respectively, though they dropped them a few years ago. Plus the connection opportunities on Spirit finally provide some LCC competition to lots of Caribbean/Latin American destinations.

I'm surprised they took this long to start North Carolina, and tbh they probably could have gotten away with branding it as some form of a "Raleigh/Charlotte" airport. Hope they advertise in all three major metros, because although the Triad could support all three less-than-daily destinations, support from the CLT and RDU areas could hopefully push it to even higher frequency.

When was the last time GSO-TPA was served? Was it Skybus or AirTran, or is this brand new?

Can't recall AirTran on this route, but I want to say Delta ran it in the early 2000s.

Of course, G4 serves PIE-GSO just across the bay, so it's not new service for the market.

airtrantpa

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Would love to se NK here in AVL.

mikejepp

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Hopefully this will spur traffic growth at GSO. Last time I was there, it was a ghost town...

Anyone know what the current and historical peak annual passenger counts for GSO are?

RDUDDJI

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Beechtobus wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:

That’s my understanding- lack of RDU gate space and the AA fortress/lack of gates/cost of gates in CLT had NK split the difference.

Despite what a.net may tell you: RDU easily has gate space for a carrier with <10 flights a day and CLT's airport fees are some of the lowest in the country (hence the pmUS (now AA) hub). They chose GSO because GSO is under-served and they can pull in a few fringe pax from both the RDU and CLT areas. There are a lot of small towns on the I-40/85 corridor that are within an hour or so of both RDU & GSO (including Durham).

Kudos to GSO, NK may not be the airline you wanted, but hopefully it'll be the catalyst you need to grow GSO. "Grow GSO", I might trademark that.

rajincajun01

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
    Beechtobus wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:

Despite what a.net may tell you: RDU easily has gate space for a carrier with <10 flights a day and CLT's airport fees are some of the lowest in the country (hence the pmUS (now AA) hub). They chose GSO because GSO is under-served and they can pull in a few fringe pax from both the RDU and CLT areas. There are a lot of small towns on the I-40/85 corridor that are within an hour or so of both RDU & GSO (including Durham).

Kudos to GSO, NK may not be the airline you wanted, but hopefully it'll be the catalyst you need to grow GSO. "Grow GSO", I might trademark that.

Are you ever at RDU during the shuffling of gates in afternoons (especially when there are storms or diversions), evenings, and early hours when the red eyes come in? Late mornings, yea there’s space but that’s not ideal for a carrier trying to launch ops.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
    It's always surprised me how little Florida service there is from GSO. You have two daily RJs to Miami and then the non-daily Allegiant service to PIE and SFB. There's room for more.

It's less than 10 hours by car GSO-MCO. Apparently GSO-Florida doesn't offer big business routes.

gsoflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Janj wrote:

The last time TPA was served, I believe, was when Independence Air was here and Delta also added the root to kill them.

gsoflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Glad to see Spirit in here. Will be interesting to see how Allegiant reacts. I bet they just pull out and surrender to Spirit with Concord being as close as it is to GSO. And that may ultimately be GSO's angle too. Allegiant served GSO like a Charter airline since Skybus came in.

If this works, they could easily add LAS and kill some of the gambling charters. Another thought is, could they add the old routes that have a lot of O&D like IAH and BOS. Or try to serve some of the markets that would have worked with Skybus at 1 per day instead of 2-3 per day.

mikejepp

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 am

gsoflyer wrote:
    Glad to see Spirit in here. Will be interesting to see how Allegiant reacts. I bet they just pull out and surrender to Spirit with Concord being as close as it is to GSO. And that may ultimately be GSO's angle too. Allegiant served GSO like a Charter airline since Skybus came in.

If this works, they could easily add LAS and kill some of the gambling charters. Another thought is, could they add the old routes that have a lot of O&D like IAH and BOS. Or try to serve some of the markets that would have worked with Skybus at 1 per day instead of 2-3 per day.

How successful has Concord been for Allegiant?

Any chance Concord could get service from a second airline? Spirit... Frontier...?

uncgso
    Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 am

Janj wrote:
    When was the last time GSO-TPA was served?

Last time served nonstop:
    TPA … 2004 Independence Air
    FLL … 2010(?) Allegiant Air
    MCO … 2012 Frontier

mikejepp wrote:
    Hopefully this will spur traffic growth at GSO. Last time I was there, it was a ghost town...

Anyone know what the current and historical peak annual passenger counts for GSO are?

2017 Statistics:
    872,552 – Deplaned
    879,198 – Enplaned
    1,751,750 – Total

Could not find historical peak but pretty sure it was 1995 when the Continental hub was at its peak.

The official press release:
    http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news ... -ultra-low

phluser

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 am

gsoflyer wrote:

From GSO, I think it'd do MSY before IAH. If so, it can send some pax also through MSY to IAH and DFW, if the flight connections work.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 am

uncgso wrote:
    Janj wrote:
    When was the last time GSO-TPA was served?

MCO … 2012 Frontier

mikejepp wrote:

2017 Statistics:
    872,552 – Deplaned
    879,198 – Enplaned
    1,751,750 – Total

Could not find historical peak but pretty sure it was 1995 when the Continental hub was at its peak.

The official press release:
    http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news ... -ultra-low

Yes. GSO did 2.22 million in 1994 and 1.86 million in 1995.

The catchment area for GSO bleeds like crazy to RDU and CLT, so this is a nice pickup for them.

Thespiritofit

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 am

It would certainly make sense to add LAS to this. You could then open up all of the international destinations through FLL.

flyguy89

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

mikejepp wrote:

It’s been a couple years since I was last at GSO and it seemed like a ghost town then as well, moreso because of just how oversized/overbuilt the terminal seemed. Something like 25 gates for an airport whose peak departures can’t be more than 60-70 daily flights definitely makes things feel pretty sparse.

jetero

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am

phluser wrote:
    gsoflyer wrote:

From GSO, I think it'd do MSY before IAH. If so, it can send some pax also through MSY to IAH and DFW, if the flight connections work.

CO inherited GSO station from PE, and I think GSO was one of PE’s early stations (then came Eastwind and Skybus). CO flew GSO-EWR nonstop, with CALite the route was GSO-GSP (which I think GSP was a new CO station)-MSY-IAH. I flew it in a 737-100 with airstairs that was inherited from PE (original operator LH) in 1994, which must have been 7 years after the merger.

Wasn’t there a President’s Club?

Is the US club still there?

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm

jetero wrote:

Is the US club still there?

Yep, still there. Of course, it dates back to the PI days.

Is GSO the smallest airport in the U.S. with a legacy airline club?

TYSflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I do find it interesting that GSO will now have 3 ULCC. Granted, G4 has rather paltry service compared to other similar sized cities, and F9 only does seasonal DEN service.

JetBlueCLT

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Beechtobus wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:

There’s 9 gates opening up at the end of month/early July. NK could get there gate in CLT If they wanted.

CLT has one of lowest gate fees in country, not see where your going with that.

flymco753

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

JetBlueCLT wrote:
    Beechtobus wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:

There’s 9 gates opening up at the end of month/early July. NK could get there gate in CLT If they wanted.

In return CLT has one of the worst air service incentive plans though, so it balances.

phluser

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I'd bet GSO's bleed is more to RDU than to CLT, at least for Florida, and NK in GSO has to stop some bleed at RDU more than CLT. RDU is a lot closer, and there were traditionally low fares out of RDU because of the sizeable WN presence and B6. At CLT, it's largely fortress hub fares from AA especially to Florida.

Compare a random date, July 10, next month. WN has two nonstops out of RDU-MCO with $61 wanna get away fares for nonstops, including a morning and early evening flight. AA has some cheap fares out of CLT-MCO on it's nonstops the day before: some are limited only to last flight of day, Basic Economy which doesn't guarantee families seating next to each other, and the two offered are the very last flights of the day. On July 10, itself, nonstop fares are limited currently at $372 one way.

jfklganyc wrote:

I don't think B6 is interested at GSO or markets of that size. If there was any beating to the punch, it's F9 decision to open at RDU beat NK to the punch, and NK is coming in late into NC, with GSO.

flymco753

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm

phluser wrote:
    and NK is coming in late into NC, with GSO.
    Now, AVL as well.

727LOVER

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

airtrantpa wrote:

Could you please pick lottery numbers, please?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1396475&p=20479913#p20479913

evank516

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

727LOVER wrote:
    airtrantpa wrote:

Seriously. I need the winning Powerball numbers.

ahj2000

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm

JetBlueCLT wrote:
    Beechtobus wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:

My understanding is that American will take over the formerly OAL gates. A-North will have some common use gates though.

Janj

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

axiom wrote:
    Of course, G4 serves PIE-GSO just across the bay, so it's not new service for the market.

Right, don't know how I forgot that. For some reason I thought their other route was PGD, but they haven't operated that in a long time.

phluser wrote:
    I'd bet GSO's bleed is more to RDU than to CLT, at least for Florida, and NK in GSO has to stop some bleed at RDU more than CLT. RDU is a lot closer, and there were traditionally low fares out of RDU because of the sizeable WN presence and B6. At CLT, it's largely fortress hub fares from AA especially to Florida.

Probably for people in Greensboro and to the east, but don't forget that Winston-Salem, High Point and other smaller cities are basically equidistant. CLT has the benefit of nonstops almost everywhere, while RDU (usually) has the lower fares. Distance isn't really a factor when there are direct highway connections.
    You're probably exactly right for Florida though, there's no point in driving an hour and a half unless it's cheaper than a flight from GSO.

uncgso wrote:
    MCO … 2012 Frontier

Allegiant briefly restarted FLL in 2013, but canceled it very quickly. Spirit could probably get some extra traffic through connections, unlike Allegiant.

RDUDDJI

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:14 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
    RDUDDJI wrote:
    Beechtobus wrote:

Are you ever at RDU during the shuffling of gates in afternoons (especially when there are storms or diversions), evenings, and early hours when the red eyes come in? Late mornings, yea there’s space but that’s not ideal for a carrier trying to launch ops.

No one said they have to be in T2. There's space in T1.

TWFlyGuy

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Not just Florida but overall I'm surprised GSO doesn't have more service in general. While it is only ~760K residents and the 75th largest MSA, they could create drive divert from RDU & CLT especially given high fares. Not a full fledged hub but a focus city maybe for B6?

airtrantpa

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm

evank516 wrote:
    727LOVER wrote:
    airtrantpa wrote:

Spirit Airlines coming to Asheville Regional Airport
    wlos.com/news/local/spirit-airlines-06-13-2018

AVL for NK to TPA MCO and FLL

Nive ti see an old FL route back. G4 going to have to a nice competition

airtrantpa

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm

evank516 wrote:
    727LOVER wrote:
    airtrantpa wrote:

12 3 8 5 6. 9

m0ssy

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Yes google is my friend, but I sure miss the days where I could hover over an airport code to reveal the name and location. I apologize if this horse has been beat to death, or if I missed something. I seriously couldn't remember ever hearing of GSO before.

USAirALB

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 pm

I can't speak for the RDU area, but many of CLT's northern suburbs are roughly equidistant in drive time between CLT and GSO once you factor in traffic.

stxbohn

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Maybe United can bring back GSO-IAH daily on a E-170/175 or even a E-145XR to beat Spirit to the punch.

gsoflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm

phluser wrote:

Compare a random date, July 10, next month. WN has two nonstops out of RDU-MCO with $61 wanna get away fares for nonstops, including a morning and early evening flight. AA has some cheap fares out of CLT-MCO on it's nonstops the day before: some are limited only to last flight of day, Basic Economy which doesn't guarantee families seating next to each other, and the two offered are the very last flights of the day. On July 10, itself, nonstop fares are limited currently at $372 one way.

I wish there was data on this. I think if you look at leisure travel, people bleed into RDU. I think if you look at business travel, it bleeds into CLT more. That's more gut feel than anything.

gsoflyer

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Honestly,

I'd be willing to bet Allegiant leaves GSO altogether and focuses on Concord. I am unsure how successful Concord is, but they have increased daily flights and destinations. I've heard that Frontier has been talking about making Denver non-seasonal and adding in Trenton to complete with American to Philadelphia. But no movement yet.

Right now, GSO's biggest lacking into Boston and Houston as far as the top business O&D cities.

rajincajun01

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
    rajincajun01 wrote:
    RDUDDJI wrote:

No one said they have to be in T2. There's space in T1.

No there’s not. Southwest has their proprietary equipment there, including scanning equipment. Until the next set of planned renovations (2-3 years from now), no other airline will have the capability to use T1.

phluser

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm

gsoflyer wrote:
    Honestly,

I'd be willing to bet Allegiant leaves GSO altogether and focuses on Concord. I am unsure how successful Concord is, but they have increased daily flights and destinations. I've heard that Frontier has been talking about making Denver non-seasonal and adding in Trenton to complete with American to Philadelphia. But no movement yet.

Right now, GSO's biggest lacking into Boston and Houston as far as the top business O&D cities.

A flight to BWI is also missing although DCA has service. The issue for NK is that one can drive the distance in a day, but, I'd think GSO-BWI would have a better shot over GSO-BOS on NK. Maybe it'd offer a GSO-BWI with a connection to its BWI-BOS flight.

I'd be surprised if F9 added TTN-GSO as it might dilute it's TTN-CLT. It cut TTN-RDU and more recently PHL-RDU, although MDT-RDU was randomly added. In general, F9 and NK seem to avoid drive distance within a day type routes.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
    MAH4546 wrote:

Not just Florida but overall I'm surprised GSO doesn't have more service in general. While it is only ~760K residents and the 75th largest MSA, they could create drive divert from RDU & CLT especially given high fares. Not a full fledged hub but a focus city maybe for B6?

Keep in mind that the official MSA designation for Greensboro doesn't include either neighboring Winston-Salem or Burlington, both of which are their own defined metro areas. The Piedmont Triad CSA has over 1.6 million residents, although as noted the area leaks a great deal to RDU and CLT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos