greenair727
Topic Author

UA971 FCO to ORD diverted to Shannon

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

UA971 FCO to ORD diverted to Shannon after bomb threat found in lav. Landed safely at Shannon.

FA9295

Re: UA971 FCO to ORD diverted to Shannon

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

ltbewr

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:19 pm

I hope, that if this true, that the person who did this gets a long time in jail in the USA since this was a USA registered aircraft.

WorldFlier

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:36 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I hope, that if this true, that the person who did this gets a long time in jail in the USA since this was a USA registered aircraft.

This post got me thinking.

When there is an actual air disaster (thank goodness this was not one), the country where it happened, the country (or supranational organization, like the EU) where the aircraft was manufactured, the country that had lots of it's citizens on board, and maybe the Americans are invited if it happens in a friendly country...and there's usually nobody to punish directly and immediately because it's a terrorist organization except in the case of Lockerbie...

In this case, who would have the legal right to punish them? Ireland (where they landed), the EU/UK (over whose airspace the event occurred), Italy (where the flight originated), or the USA (where the flight was destined) and/or where the individual was from if it is one of the above?

Thanks in advance.

jetblastdubai

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 pm

ltbewr wrote:

Terrorists and people making terroristic threats belong in GITMO. No more free meals, dry bed, cable TV or country club atmosphere paid for by the taxpayers of any country. Make the punishment hurt so copycats in the future think twice about pulling such a stunt.

Aviation is a high-visibility industry and is a relatively easy target if you want to disrupt commerce.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

FatCat

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:53 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

This post got me thinking.

When there is an actual air disaster (thank goodness this was not one), the country where it happened, the country (or supranational organization, like the EU) where the aircraft was manufactured, the country that had lots of it's citizens on board, and maybe the Americans are invited if it happens in a friendly country...and there's usually nobody to punish directly and immediately because it's a terrorist organization except in the case of Lockerbie...

In this case, who would have the legal right to punish them? Ireland (where they landed), the EU/UK (over whose airspace the event occurred), Italy (where the flight originated), or the USA (where the flight was destined) and/or where the individual was from if it is one of the above?

Thanks in advance.

If I'm not wrong, as for ships, planes (in flight only or also on ground?) are sovereign territory of the Country where the Company is based.
In this case, since UA is a Company based in the United States, it's US territory.
So federal laws are enforced.
But correct me if I'm wrong. It's an interesting topic.
May my post not hurt your feelings

arcticcruiser

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Google Tokyo convention.

greenair727
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

I believe if an event occurs outside of a country (over open sea) the jurisdiction falls to the flag of the operating airline. (If an incident happened at Rome airport aboard United, it would be in Italian jurisdiction.)

greenair727
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm

delete--double post.
Last edited by greenair727 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenair727
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

So whatever happened to this event? Did they determine who did it?

airzim

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Terrorists and people making terroristic threats belong in GITMO. No more free meals, dry bed, cable TV or country club atmosphere paid for by the taxpayers of any country. Make the punishment hurt so copycats in the future think twice about pulling such a stunt.

Aviation is a high-visibility industry and is a relatively easy target if you want to disrupt commerce.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Thankfully but tenuously, the US still has something called due process and the rule of law.

As just so we're clear, defending due process does not condone the behaviour of anyone making terroristic threats and carrying out the killing of innocent life. However, it's disappointing that American's can be so flippant to just "locking them up" and allow the perpetuation of "cruel and unusual punishment." Do we just conveniently ignore 250 years of Constitutional precedent?

Incidentally, there is no evidence that jail or death penalty is an effective deterrent for perpetuating criminal activity. Whether that's mass killings or drug use.

But remarkably providing economic opportunity and security does.

jayunited

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:15 pm

greenair727 wrote:
So whatever happened to this event? Did they determine who did it?

According to internal reports Irish police did interview every single passenger who was on board the flight and took hand writing samples from every single passenger and after a 30 hour ordeal the police could not determine who graffitied 2 lavatories with bomb threats. There was a group of teenagers on the flight returning to the Chicagoland area after a week long trip to Rome and we do know the pilot on several occasions did ask before the aircraft was diverted for the person or persons responsible to come forward (probably thinking one of the teenagers was responsible for the graffiti bomb threat) however after making several announcements over the PA the pilot was left with no choice but to divert because no one would come forward and take responsibility for the graffiti in the two lavatories. Once on the ground the police could not positively identify the person responsible for the bomb threats after interviews and hand writing samples from every passenger was compared to the graffiti. Without hard evidence pointing to a single or several passengers every single passenger was allowed to re-board the flight in SNN and continue on to Chicago.

Personally I think one of the teenagers was responsible and thought it would be a funny prank not realizing how serious the airline and police would take this matter. However in the interest of full disclosure that was not in the report and United Airlines has no evidence to support my assumptions neither does the Irish police. If it was one of the teenagers, I wonder what would have happened if the police or United could have proven beyond reasonable doubt that they were responsible for this threat what would have happened to that teen and would their parents had to pay for the diversion?

ltbewr

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 pm

ICE upon arrival in the USA (ORD) should have impounded the plane, the baggage and cargo and look for possible items used to write the graffiti, done its own interrogations of all pax.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos