AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Why KLM don‘t serve KEF ?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Every day Icelandair and WOW Air are using widebodies B 767 and A 333 from KEF to Amsterdam and back - sometimes even twice daily. Seems there is a big need and they can fill up their aircrafts. So where is the competition of KLM? Why do they leave this route completely to the Icelandic carriers? Do Icelandair and WOW Air only transport transit passengers? Any other thoughts?

SRQKEF

Re: Why KLM don‘t serve KEF ?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:03 pm

I've often wondered this myself, especially given their strong presence in our neighboring countries Norway, Sweden and, to a lesser extent, Denmark. While FI's and WW's core definitely is made up of transit pax, a lot of people fly to/from KEF itself too (the split is around 70/30 IIRC). BA, LH and SK maintain daily year-round services, some of them multiple daily flights, despite FI being 2-5x daily and WW 1-2x daily in their respective home markets. It's weird that neither of the AFKL carriers have tried it yet (only airline in the group that flies here is a seasonal Transavia flight from ORY).

regards!
Sveinn
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

mjoelnir

Re: Why KLM don‘t fly to KEF ?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm

I think the transit passengers are the main answer. KLM has no agreements with either FI or WW. A KLM flight AMS - KEF - AMS would have to depend on O&D only.

chepos

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:55 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
I think the transit passengers are the main answer. KLM has no agreements with either FI or WW. A KLM flight AMS - KEF - AMS would have to depend on O&D only.

Not really, AMS is a large hub. They would get passengers connecting into AMS from other points thx to the hub. Iceland is an up and coming tourist destination so I expect KL to be there sooner rather than later.
Fly the Flag!!!!

PatrickZ80

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 pm

They have flown there in the past, but pulled out for whatever reason. Maybe the competition was too strong.

At a certain moment there has even been a rumour about Wizzair starting Eindhoven - Keflavik. That turned out to be not true, but the rumour must have come from somewhere. Guess they did investigate this route. Problem might have been lack of slots, which is a problem at Eindhoven and an even bigger problem at Amsterdam.

Dutchy

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 pm

chepos wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Not really, AMS is a large hub. They would get passengers connecting into AMS from other points thx to the hub. Iceland is an up and coming tourist destination so I expect KL to be there sooner rather than later.

There are only 300.000 Icelandish. Tourist ok, but is that enough? I guess not, because KLM doesn't fly there. If there would be a case, they sure would.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

F27500

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Its absolutely amazing to see how Iceland has exploded in the past several years. I remember back as recently as the 80s when your only option to get to Iceland was to that old Quonset hut Keflavik terminal on Icelandair in a DC8 or 727 (or an F27 into REK from the Faeroe Islands!).

Beautiful place .. almost a shame to see it having been "discovered" the way it has .. the desolation back then had a certain charm!

MartijnNL

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 pm

It took KLM fifty years to re-open Dublin. Who knows how long Reykjavik will have to wait? Forever maybe.

SRQKEF

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
They have flown there in the past, but pulled out for whatever reason. Maybe the competition was too strong.

At a certain moment there has even been a rumour about Wizzair starting Eindhoven - Keflavik. That turned out to be not true, but the rumour must have come from somewhere. Guess they did investigate this route. Problem might have been lack of slots, which is a problem at Eindhoven and an even bigger problem at Amsterdam.

I don’t remember KL ever flying here...are you sure they did? At least not since I was born in 1998.

SRQKEF

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
chepos wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

There are only 300.000 Icelandish. Tourist ok, but is that enough? I guess not, because KLM doesn't fly there. If there would be a case, they sure would.

Icelanders is the correct term. ;)

Not sure, but it’s enough for 11x weekly BA from LHR (+2x weekly LCY), daily LH from FRA, 2x daily SK from OSL, daily SK from CPH etc so I don’t believe AMS would be different...there’s a reason other than just transfer pax that FI has up to 1x daily 767+3x daily 757 and WOW has 1x daily 330 and 1x daily 321.

HELyes

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 am

The Nordic Europe has become popular among the Asian visitors, that's what encouraged Finnair to open KEF with their own metal. You would think it's the same with KLM, they are big in China especially. Do they code share with FI?

mjoelnir

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 am

[photoid][/photoid]
HELyes wrote:
The Nordic Europe has become popular among the Asian visitors, that's what encouraged Finnair to open KEF with their own metal. You would think it's the same with KLM, they are big in China especially. Do they code share with FI?

KLM is not code sharing with Icelandair, whereas SAS and Finnair do.

peanuts

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am

It is somewhat of a missed opportunity.
KL could compete as it has partner, DL, on the other end, serving KEF-USA.
Icelandair carriers offer free KEF stopovers as an incentive to attract additional passengers.
So besides a huge AMS feed for Skyteam, KL/DL (traffic rights permitting) could perhaps use the same marketing gimmick the Iceland carriers use with regards to a stopover opportunity. I bet those interested would be fairly low numbers though, but at least it closes the marketing advantage of WW and FI.

OlafW

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am

F27500 wrote:
Its absolutely amazing to see how Iceland has exploded in the past several years.

I call for "pun of the day"

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 am

Like all these “Why....” questions; the answer is they don’t see any money in it for them.

GF

SRQKEF

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:27 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
HELyes wrote:

KLM is not code sharing with Icelandair, whereas SAS and Finnair do.

However, SK and AY’s schedules into KEF usually don’t fit with FI’s connecting banks. They instead codeshare on flights from CPH/OSL/ARN/HEL on FI’s own metal.

SCQ83

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Most of those smaller airports in Scandinavia or the UK are served by KLM Cityhopper, so if KL was to launch AMS-KEF, I would expect to see them in an Embraer.

hvusslax

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:50 pm

KLM serves a bunch of smaller cities in Norway, Denmark and the UK so it seems like KEF should be right up their alley as a smaller market in north-western Europe. But the competition is also fierce. That did not stop BA or Lufthansa though. I also would not have guessed that four major legacy airlines from North America would be serving KEF before either KLM or AF.

KL001

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm

After over a decade of reading other people's posts, my first reply. KLM has a strong presence in Scandinavia, because SAS does not fly to a lot of destinations that KLM does, it does not matter a lot for Norwegian passengers to change planes in CPH or AMS, and other major carriers have not entered those markets. The same with secondary UK airports (a lot of British passengers would rather avoid LHR for their stop). A lot of passengers aboard these planes are transiting at AMS, both for European and intercontinental flights. Iceland is a different story. It would mostly cater for tourists visiting Iceland due to Iceland's small population. In that case, Transavia would make more sense than KLM. However, with Icelandair and Wow Air already offering multiple flights per day at highly competitive prices using a similar product, I think Transavia would rather focus on less saturated markets.
Also, there is no point for KLM to partner with DL using KEF as a hub as peanuts suggested: they have AMS and their US hubs for that purpose, no need for another hub.

factsonly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
They have flown there in the past, but pulled out for whatever reason.

KLM has NEVER served KEF or REK on a regular scheduled basis.

There are several reasons why KLM does not serve the KEF-AMS market:

1. The route is overserved with 4x daily flights, capacity is focussed on North American transfer traffic at KEF:
- FI operates 2x daily (1x B767 and 1x B757)
- WW operates 2x daily (1x A333 and 1x A321)

2. Point-to-point Business Class demand is low, economy yields AMS-KEF are not interesting.

3. AMS has reached its political capacity of 500.000 movements/annum and no new flights are permitted. KLM would need to drop a frequency elsewhere to open KEF.

hvusslax wrote:
KLM serves a bunch of smaller cities in Norway, Denmark and the UK so it seems like KEF should be right up their alley as a smaller market in north-western Europe. But the competition is also fierce. That did not stop BA or Lufthansa though. I also would not have guessed that four major legacy airlines from North America would be serving KEF before either KLM or AF.

Indeed KLM serves the Nordic countries well, covering 14x Scandinavian destinations with 57x daily frequencies:
- Denmark = Aalborg (4x daily), Billund (5x daily), Copenhagen (7x daily, SK 5x, DY 1x)
- Norway = Alesund (2x daily), Bergen (4x daily), Kristiansand (3x daily), Stavanger (5x daily), Trondheim (3x daily), Torp (2x daily), Oslo (6x daily, SK 2x, DY 1x)
- Sweden = Gothenburg (6x daily), Linkoping (3x daily), Stockholm (6x daily, SK 2x, DY 1x), Vaxjo (1x daily)

KLM has a monopoly or is the largest operator on all of its Nordic routes.
None of KLM's Nordic routes witnesses competition to the extend that AMS-KEF witnesses overcapacity by FI and WW, based on O&D demand.

It is true that KLM took 40 years to re-open AMS-Dublin, but this was a response to partner EI joining IAG and KL loosing its valuable Irish codeshare feed to its AMS hub.

OSL777FLYER

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm

KLM has a lot of transit passengers. Especially trans-Atlantic. On other markets. How many would go from Iceland to e.g. Africa or Asia? As a passenger you would not fly eastward KEF-AMS then westward AMS-DTW for example. That is the answer. For Africa/Asia, they would use LH or AY or some of the other carriers servicing KEF. I see why KLM would choose to stay out of KEF.

6th Freedom rights. Carrying passengers from one country, to another, going through your own.

People from Iceland wishing to explore Europe will do so on WOW, FI, LH and the likes. No market for KLM. O & D too small.

FI and WOW depend on a LOT of transit passengers to make their networks work.

mjoelnir

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:07 pm

factsonly wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
They have flown there in the past, but pulled out for whatever reason.

KLM has NEVER served KEF or REK on a regular scheduled basis.

There are several reasons why KLM does not serve the KEF-AMS market:

1. The route is overserved with 4x daily flights, capacity is focussed on North American transfer traffic at KEF:
- FI operates 2x daily (1x B767 and 1x B757)
- WW operates 2x daily (1x A333 and 1x A321)

2. Point-to-point Business Class demand is low, economy yields AMS-KEF are not interesting.

3. AMS has reached its political capacity of 500.000 movements/annum and no new flights are permitted. KLM would need to drop a frequency elsewhere to open KEF.

hvusslax wrote:

Indeed KLM serves the Nordic countries well, covering 14x Scandinavian destinations with 57x daily frequencies:
- Denmark = Aalborg (4x daily), Billund (5x daily), Copenhagen (7x daily, SK 5x, DY 1x)
- Norway = Alesund (2x daily), Bergen (4x daily), Kristiansand (3x daily), Stavanger (5x daily), Trondheim (3x daily), Torp (2x daily), Oslo (6x daily, SK 2x, DY 1x)
- Sweden = Gothenburg (6x daily), Linkoping (3x daily), Stockholm (6x daily, SK 2x, DY 1x), Vaxjo (1x daily)

KLM has a monopoly or is the largest operator on all of its Nordic routes.
None of KLM's Nordic routes witnesses competition to the extend that AMS-KEF witnesses overcapacity by FI and WW, based on O&D demand.

It is true that KLM took 40 years to re-open AMS-Dublin, but this was a response to partner EI joining IAG and KL loosing its valuable Irish codeshare feed to its AMS hub.

I would argue the overcapacity on the AMS -KEF route. The flights, at least FI are rather full. The moment the bookings go down on a route, FI adjust the frames on the route. We would see the 767-300ER only, or 2 757, if bookings were bad. The two flights leave nearly at the same time. Two frames are used for capacity rather than frequency.

A333MSPtoAMS

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

They don't with either of them, however, they do with DL who has daily service (at least seasonally) between MSP and KEF. There is also a flight (not sure of frequency) between JFK and KEF. Albeit not a large number of passengers, they could catch some from those flights. Though, personally, if I'm flying between MSP and AMS and connecting in KEF, I am probably going to choose Icelandair.
As of Sept 2018 I've flown 404,800 miles on 242 flights on 47 airplane types with 54 airlines traveling thru 96 airports in 42 countries. I've visited 58 countries with 1 more this year.
http://globe-trekking.com/vg/en

airzona11

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:29 pm

There seems to be a lot of capacity in the market (that get the lower yielding tourists), not much of a premium draw, low O/D, seems like KLM is fine conceding that market. It just isn't that big or valuable.

peanuts

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am

KL001 wrote:
After over a decade of reading other people's posts, my first reply. KLM has a strong presence in Scandinavia, because SAS does not fly to a lot of destinations that KLM does, it does not matter a lot for Norwegian passengers to change planes in CPH or AMS, and other major carriers have not entered those markets. The same with secondary UK airports (a lot of British passengers would rather avoid LHR for their stop). A lot of passengers aboard these planes are transiting at AMS, both for European and intercontinental flights. Iceland is a different story. It would mostly cater for tourists visiting Iceland due to Iceland's small population. In that case, Transavia would make more sense than KLM. However, with Icelandair and Wow Air already offering multiple flights per day at highly competitive prices using a similar product, I think Transavia would rather focus on less saturated markets.
Also, there is no point for KLM to partner with DL using KEF as a hub as peanuts suggested: they have AMS and their US hubs for that purpose, no need for another hub.

Welcome to a.net
No "hub" was suggested or implied.
Having DL at KEF once or twice a day from the West would just close a marketing loop FI and WW are taking advantage of. That's all.

Blankbarcode

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

I actually work for a certain purple airline at AMS, and I can guarantee about 85% of the pax are transfer traffic only. KEF and Iceland in general seem to appeal more to the young individual backpacker than anything else so far.

And I don't know, but we've been utilizing the A320/A321 more than anything. The A330 is a fairly rare occasion in my experience.

IceAir778

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

I really doubt that KL has ever operates to KEF in the past. LH is now operating two routes from FRA and MUC and I know that a lot of pax on these routes are O&D as well as transit coming from Asia.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm actually surprised that Transavia doesn't fly to KEF at least seasonally. This doesn't seem to be a flight that would make sense for KLM proper though.

As for lately, FI has been using a mix of 752 and 763s and WOW 320/321.

KL001

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

peanuts wrote:
Welcome to a.net
Having DL at KEF once or twice a day from the West would just close a marketing loop FI and WW are taking advantage of. That's all.

This is not how KLM works: for practically all flights to North America, they offer either nonstop flights, or one/two stop flights through hubs of AF/DL (CDG, BOS, JFK, MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). You can also not book for example an AMS-JFK flight via London, Edinburgh or Dublin, changing from KLM metal to Delta flights. Considering the competition on AMS-KEF-North America routes with mostly low-yield passengers taking this route, there is no reason to change this concept for KEF.
My bets are at the most a seasonal Transavia flight as others suggested, as Transavia France is already doing such a flight between Paris Orly and Keflavik. Generally Transavia selects non-competitive markets for new routes, but sometimes they open flights to competitive routes which are popular with tourists, such as AMS-DXB a few years ago.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I'm actually surprised that Transavia doesn't fly to KEF at least seasonally. This doesn't seem to be a flight that would make sense for KLM proper though.

As for lately, FI has been using a mix of 752 and 763s and WOW 320/321.

As a matter of fact Transavia does fly into Keflavik, but from Paris Orly. Not from any of the Dutch airports.

I could see them flying into Keflavik from one of the regional airports, Rotterdam or Eindhoven. Not from Amsterdam to avoid direct competition from Icelandair and WOW Air, but the regional airports cater to a different market. This could work at least seasonal.

peanuts

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

KL001 wrote:
peanuts wrote:
Welcome to a.net

This is not how KLM works: for practically all flights to North America, they offer either nonstop flights, or one/two stop flights through hubs of AF/DL (CDG, BOS, JFK, MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). You can also not book for example an AMS-JFK flight via London, Edinburgh or Dublin, changing from KLM metal to Delta flights. Considering the competition on AMS-KEF-North America routes with mostly low-yield passengers taking this route, there is no reason to change this concept for KEF.
My bets are at the most a seasonal Transavia flight as others suggested, as Transavia France is already doing such a flight between Paris Orly and Keflavik. Generally Transavia selects non-competitive markets for new routes, but sometimes they open flights to competitive routes which are popular with tourists, such as AMS-DXB a few years ago.

Again, it was merely brought up to potentially close the marketing advantage (offering a free KEF stopover between USA-EUR) FI and WW enjoy over the competition. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm familiar with the existing DL/KL JV and the purpose/function of it. Having a JV partner on both ends of KEF could be seen as a small incremental benefit in order to cater to your own frequent flyer base for instance. Nobody is talking about changing the concept otherwise.

MartijnNL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm

hvusslax wrote:

Could the answer to this topic be that KLM can make more money on other routes?

It seems indeed somewhat strange that Air Canada, American, Delta and United serve Iceland and KLM does not. The same goes for Air Baltic, British Airways, Finnair, Lufthansa and SAS. Why them and not KLM?

Looking at the flight information from Keflavik Airport raises my eyebrows as well. That's a lot of flights for such a small country. Even places as far away as Dallas get three flights today on three different airlines. If those services are sustainable, one might think KLM has a chance also.

Things at Keflavik Airport sure have changed since I first visited it twenty years ago, but KLM hasn't been a part of that. It is what it is, unfortunately.

MartijnNL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm

KL001 wrote:
This is not how KLM works: for practically all flights to North America, they offer either nonstop flights, or one/two stop flights through hubs of AF/DL (CDG, BOS, JFK, MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). You can also not book for example an AMS-JFK flight via London, Edinburgh or Dublin, changing from KLM metal to Delta flights.

But I remember once finding a flight to Manchester on KLM and from there on a Delta 757 to the USA. That must have been a few years ago, though.

Or could it have been another airline to Manchester and than an American 757 to the USA? I am not sure.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Or could it have been another airline to Manchester and than an American 757 to the USA? I am not sure.

In that case it must have been either FlyBE or EasyJet, those are the only airlines besides KLM that fly Amsterdam - Manchester. Neither of them codeshare with American, so that's highly unlikely.

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:31 am

Some travel agents suggest KLM is flying to Iceland:
https://www.travelocity.com/vc/flights/ ... s-iceland/

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Some travel agents suggest KLM is flying to Iceland:
https://www.travelocity.com/vc/flights/ ... s-iceland/

But if you scroll below you'll see that these are all one-stop flights through the USA. It's Amsterdam - Atlanta - Keflavik for example. The Atlanta - Keflavik leg is being carried out by Delta. There's no mentioning direct flights.

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:42 pm

"Travelocity is proud to offer great deals on KLM flights to many popular Iceland destinations. If you’re looking for cheap airfare, try our flexible booking calendar to find the best day to fly KLM within your schedule."

No mentioning of codeshare flight. Only "fly KLM".

I call that misleading.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

True, but that's what travel agencies do all the time. They shouldn't be trusted.

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:55 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
But if you scroll below you'll see that these are all one-stop flights through the USA. It's Amsterdam - Atlanta - Keflavik for example. The Atlanta - Keflavik leg is being carried out by Delta. There's no mentioning direct flights.

If I scroll down, I see this:

KLM Airline Flights to Iceland

KLM Atlanta to Reykjavik (ATL - KEF)
KLM New York to Reykjavik (JFK - KEF)
KLM Detroit to Reykjavik (DTW - KEF)
KLM Boston to Reykjavik (BOS - KEF)
KLM Minneapolis to Reykjavik (MSP - KEF)
KLM Los Angeles to Reykjavik (LAX - KEF)
KLM San Francisco to Reykjavik (SFO - KEF)
KLM Chicago to Reykjavik (ORD - KEF)
KLM Seattle to Reykjavik (SEA - KEF)
KLM Salt Lake City to Reykjavik (SLC - KEF)
KLM Washington to Reykjavik (IAD - KEF)
KLM Houston to Reykjavik (IAH - KEF)

Nothing about starting in AMS and flying via the United States. Not that anyone would fly Amsterdam - Atlanta - Reykjavik to get to Iceland.

There is only mentioning of direct KLM flights. Pure misleading of customers if you ask me.

And what about all the named cities from which Delta doesn't fly to Reykjavik? Those must be carried out by Icelandair or WOW, airlines that don't codeshare with KLM. This is just plain lying to the flying public.

RobertS975

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:52 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Not really. First of all, there can be Skyteam passengers from the US reaching Iceland via the JFK-KEF DL flight with the intention of continuing on to Europe via KLM. This would be on a single Skyteam ticket.
I have always thought that either KL or AF should have at least seasonal service to KEF.

devron

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
daily LH from FRA.

To expend on this

Daily in summer, 3 or 4 times in winter. In summer they do also fly from MUN (not daily). Eurowings flies from Hamburg and Cologne. Austrian from Vienna (3 times per week I think). Plus the reason I know this I am always looking for miles and more seats and never find any. Thus yes one wonders why KLM doesn't fly 3 times per week in summer, to complicated maybe and better focus on your core markets.

B4REAL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:10 pm

I think one factor is ferry service. I am on holiday right now in Iceland and have seen a surprisingly large number of vehicles with NL registrations (also France and Germany) - including RV campers.

This may be one factor having dutch ferry lines (Smyril for example) catering to a Dutch market, because honestly if you are to visit Iceland - you really need a car to do it best.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos