Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Doug Parker: AA might partner with UAE airlines

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Speaking at IATA general meeting being held in Sydney, Australia, AA CEO Doug Parker, has staed that if the UAE carriers has adhered to the agreement signed few weeks ago, he might consider partnering with the United Arab Emirates carriers. He has said that the partnership depends on the future expansion of Emirates and Etihad in to United States.

AA has ended its codeshare partnership with Etihad in July last year.

It seems that AA is putting the place in the UAE's court. I guess EK and EY would like to have a big US partner for traffic feed throughout the US.

Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpor ... us-flights

Sooner787

Re: Doug Parker: AA might partner with UAE airlines

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Isnt QATAR still in Oneworld Alliance ?

Wonder if EK might join the club?

Antarius

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
Isnt QATAR still in Oneworld Alliance ?

Wonder if EK might join the club?

They are. I think Doug Parker is pulling an AAB and using the media to push for a better deal with QR.

Long term, I expect AA and QR to codeshare and expand cooperation.

blink182

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:23 pm

No way I can see EK moving into oneworld despite ties with QF and MH. QR and in turn IAG, CX, and LA wouldn't allow it. That, and EK has added capacity to the US whereas EY has contracted, despite whatever "freeze" Parker and US3 wanted. For AA's sake, they've seen how EY is hurting from a lengthy series of missteps and then pulled DFW because AA ended the codeshare, so this is likely a play by Parker to see what terms he can get out of a visibly desperate EY for a codeshare and then pit them against QR to see who offers better terms. Note that AA still has mileage agreements with both.

winginit

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:24 pm

There's definitely some signaling going on here, and I'd guess it revolves around rebooting back end interline SPA agreements with QR and EY that were likely very lucrative for AA before being essentially axed via fare class mapping a few years ago upon being caught up in this US3 spat.

avek00

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:13 pm

blink182 wrote:
No way I can see EK moving into oneworld despite ties with QF and MH. QR and in turn IAG, CX, and LA wouldn't allow it. That, and EK has added capacity to the US whereas EY has contracted, despite whatever "freeze" Parker and US3 wanted. For AA's sake, they've seen how EY is hurting from a lengthy series of missteps and then pulled DFW because AA ended the codeshare, so this is likely a play by Parker to see what terms he can get out of a visibly desperate EY for a codeshare and then pit them against QR to see who offers better terms. Note that AA still has mileage agreements with both.

I can easily see QF, AA, and MH sponsoring EK's entry into oneworld connect, however....;)

MKIAZ

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I've always thought it was rather funny that all the news basically described it as a "war" between the US3 and the ME3, while AA was partnered with QR/EY.

Obviously DL doesn't like the ME3, but that's because they were more in competition. AA doesn't fly to basically anywhere a customer would connect on the ME3 to... Africa/India/Mid East (except via IAG partnerships). So it makes sense to partner with them and get some feed on domestic flights.

Armodeen

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:13 pm

I flew a ticket last week on EY booked with AA miles.

QR is in oneworld.

Seems like they already partner with 2/3.

Arion640

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Ahhh the only airline out of the US3 who sees sense and isn't interested in silly spats.

RJNUT

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Ahhh the only airline out of the US3 who sees sense and isn't interested in silly spats.

I wouldn't be surprised to see United take similar stance as AA and leave DL out in the cold on these market possibilities.

Antarius

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Armodeen wrote:
I flew a ticket last week on EY booked with AA miles.

QR is in oneworld.

Seems like they already partner with 2/3.

They do, although the cooperation was much higher before the ME3 vs US3 spat escalated. AA and QR/EY used to codeshare, which they no longer really do. QR now markets flights to their gateway on B6, which is not ideal for OW fliers etc. Mileage redemptions are still possible, yes.

blink182

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm

avek00 wrote:
blink182 wrote:

I can easily see QF, AA, and MH sponsoring EK's entry into oneworld connect, however....;)

Ahh, yes, right alongside FJ as a niche feeder carrier but for the Middle East,Africa, Asia, and Europe. Too bad there is the Qatar blockade otherwise EK could serve as a feeder for QR :)

PHLCVGAMTK

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Speaking at IATA general meeting being held in Sydney, Australia, AA CEO Doug Parker, has staed that if the UAE carriers has adhered to the agreement signed few weeks ago, he might consider partnering with the United Arab Emirates carriers. He has said that the partnership depends on the future expansion of Emirates and Etihad in to United States.

It seems that AA is putting the place in the UAE's court. I guess EK and EY would like to have a big US partner for traffic feed throughout the US.

Thoroughly unsurprising. The ME3 serve markets that the US3 can barely bring themselves to care about, and can only serve on their own metal very expensively. As a competitive threat, they barely exist; far better to co-operate. Unfortunately for the ME3, they make for excellent political punching bags, and they also compete much more directly with the EU3, and East/Southeast Asian carriers that are all much more critical strategic partners for the US3. Hence the focus in the recent unpleasantness on EU-US Fifth Freedom flights. With additional Fifth Freedoms off the table, there's no business reason no maintain a belligerent posture.

Planesmart

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm

In under a decade, there will be two US3 / EU3 / ME3 mega airlines, and at least one current alliance will be missing in the crossfire. AA / BA / QR are seen as likely because of One World membership, but we shouldn't hold our breath, especially if the ME3 becomes the ME2.

If one goes ahead, a second will follow closely. Then watch smaller airlines sell their souls (and sell out their alliances) for survival / piece of the action.

Smaller airlines are already trying to identify and back winners. QF keeping close to two.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Etihad isn't going to survive ME carrier consolidation.

LAXLHR

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:04 am

xwb777 wrote:

QR will eventually buy 5-20% of AA.

Lufthansa

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 am

For AA I think it's EK despite QR's investment. Dubai is the Singapore of the Middle East. It's both the financial and tourism hub. EK is by far the largest carrier of all 3 and they're based in the right place. QF already has strong relations with both. This Ironically enough its more about taking people to SIN, BKK, India etc all places AA needs strength and EK is your best bet. And... as QF has proven they don't need to be part of one world to do it. QF now makes plenty of money selling tickets to Europe through DXB without sending a single aircraft there... AA may want some kind of presence and the connections pretty much work for anything other than North East Asia, and even as far south as South Africa or New York City to Perth. QF never looked back. AA should jump on this.

Kashmon

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

considering AA is looking at abandoning international flying from any real MAJOR city in USA ( NYC/LAX/SFO) they desperately need partners...

DL on the other hand goes straight for the challenge and announces BOM...

UpNAWAy

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 am

Kashmon wrote:
considering AA is looking at abandoning international flying from any real MAJOR city in USA ( NYC/LAX/SFO) they desperately need partners...

Ridiculously false statement even by annonymos internet standards.

TropicalSky

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Watch Delta pull the surprise and actually partner with Sir Tim & Emirates......

neomax

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm

I really hope AA actually restores ties with QR and EY as it was a huge boon for flyers myself included and I was hoping that they would do this since the day it was cut. It has been a lot harder to fly both without the AA connections so restoring ties would be welcomed with open arms.

LupineChemist

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Completely selfishly, I would absolutely love for EK to join OW.

Nothing like getting into the EK first lounge on a 500€ ticket from Europe to Asia. Now Qatar is generally more expensive, but it's worth a fair amount to stick with alliance benefits with status.

Also, aside from AA having the spat with QR and only collaborating as far as is required for the alliance, QR fails at the main advantage of a regional partner which is regional feed with the blockade having no sign of stopping.

KSA is still a hugely important market.

Kashmon

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

Ridiculously false statement even by annonymos internet standards.

really?!
SFO- dominated by UA
NYC- DL and UA have proper hubs
LAX- equal- DL will win when their new terminal opens....

AA is more concerned about PHL/DFW/CLT
and not any cities with real premium international demand....

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm

I doubt AA can interline with EK, because it cannot beat B6 pricing. Transferring Indian passengers with 2 fully loaded checked bags for $50 is not financially viable. Getting back in the bed with EY is a definite possibility.

RJNUT

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:51 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
I doubt AA can interline with EK, because it cannot beat B6 pricing. Transferring Indian passengers with 2 fully loaded checked bags for $50 is not financially viable. Getting back in the bed with EY is a definite possibility.

On codeshare or interline "thru " fares , the "over the water" carrier's fare rules apply whether its AA or B6 or whomever on the Stateside flight. If you start breaking up the fares , then you run into domestic baggage charges.

chepos

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Kashmon wrote:

Leave it to a fanboy to try and derail an AA thread and turn it into a DL cheer thread, some of the nonsense you read on this website never ceases to amaze.

RJNUT

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

chepos wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

Leave it to a fanboy to try and derail an AA thread into a DL cheer thread, some of the nonsense you read on this website never ceases to amaze.

DL ,much like UA to BOM will price at a premium. Early bookers can grab up the few discounted seats offered, the rest pay the higher or move over, again ,to ME3 options.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos