Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

amishfarmer
Topic Author

Thoughts about a Self flying air-taxi?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Theres a company that's been developing a selfpiloting taxi. It's called the Cora, they are also developing a flying car for personal use as well. Called the Flyer. Just curious as to whats the concesus on here. General thoughts and ideas. My main concern is that statisically flying is safer than driving, flying requires 3 dimensional Situational awareness as driving does not. When things go wrong in flying as well they tend to snowball much quicker than problems on the road. I'm excited to see technology like this but there's some large scale practical use problems I can forsee (air traffic avoidance, weather, etc)
Here's the link https://kittyhawk.aero/

ER757

Re: Thoughts about a Self flying air-taxi?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Who doesn't dream of being able to fly past traffic while sitting in gridlock? I know I do - but I agree that there are logistical and regulatory hurdles to overcome before the concept goes into practice.

amishfarmer
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:33 pm

I agree with you 757. I would love to fly past traffic and be able to reduce my commute times to work. They are headquartered a few hours away from where I live. So I'll definitely be keeping tabs on how their vision progresses.

bob75013

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 pm

amishfarmer wrote:
Theres a company that's been developing a selfpiloting taxi. It's called the Cora, they are also developing a flying car for personal use as well. Called the Flyer. Just curious as to whats the concesus on here. General thoughts and ideas. My main concern is that statisically flying is safer than driving, flying requires 3 dimensional Situational awareness as driving does not. When things go wrong in flying as well they tend to snowball much quicker than problems on the road. I'm excited to see technology like this but there's some large scale practical use problems I can forsee (air traffic avoidance, weather, etc)
Here's the link https://kittyhawk.aero/

Heck, companies can't even gt self driving cars to work the way they are supposed to. I just don't see self flying anythings happening.

Flying is much more complicated than driving as you are operating in three dimensions, and not just two. As a pilot, I've always thought the famous saying about flying was spot on accurate : 'Flying is hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror."

What happens when there's a mid flight emergency and you need to set it down?
In flight collisions at 300+ feet will get real messy, and then there's the corollary damage on the ground when things come crashing down.
Putting many multiples of craft in the sky over a city will provide multiple collision avoidance opportunities.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos