Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planemanofnz

Re: Irish 6/18: Eastern Magic!

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:21 am

EI321 wrote:
EI would be better off launching another US route.

Just to clarify - it's not a zero-sum game, as I'm suggesting that Iceland and/or Greenland be served because they can be flown using the 320CEO's.

Another EI USA service would be great, but would have to be on the 757's or 330's - these are not the planes that EI would be flying to KEF of SFJ?

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:13 am

Ryanair launches sale to celebrate new Turkish route with seats from €19.99

Ryanair is celebrating the first flight on its new weekly Dublin service to Dalaman, Turkey with a flash seat sale.

The low cost carrier is selling fares from Dublin Airport starting from €19.99.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/ryanair- ... w-14824175

—-

New easyJet flights from Belfast to Venice, Naples, Valencia and Isle of Man create 45 jobs

Airline easyJet has created 45 jobs here as it adds four new routes and a $1m (£0.75m) aircraft to its Belfast base.

The low-cost carrier will now operate six aircraft from Belfast International Airport as it flew its new A320 aeroplane in to accommodate the introduction of its new Isle of Man, Venice ,Naples and Valencia flights.

This brings the number of destinations that easyJet serves from Belfast to 32, with 600 flights per week this summer.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busine ... 43820.html

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Aer Lingus supporting Dublin Pride

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Iceland could well work for EI , damaging yield for both WOW and also Icelandair ... DUblin is perfect spot to feed from KEF into Southern Europe and the med sun resorts plus the canaries . Also would help aircraft utilisation with a late evening departure to KEF and red eye back to Dublin arriving 4/5 am

I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage

Greenland is a non starter IMHO

EI would view KEF as low yield. Capacity is high in the market and fares have been falling and connections to Europe would be insufficient to make it work. Better they target other points in Europe existing and unversed to make T/A availability possible. Lisbon has been a major success over the last 12 months since they have allowed T/A and they are now extending and increasing overall capacity over winter.

A few years ago around the time of WestJet, if rumour is correct EI strongly considered Halifax but I agree unlikely to happen.

bx737

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage ...

AFAIK, the 320CEO's couldn't do Halifax, unlike with Greenland and Iceland. That would be a big hindrance. Separately, I don't think a Halifax return service would fit within the block of down-time that an EI narrow-body has overnight, given the early starts that some of these planes have flying to other European cities.

Cheers,

C.

There were studies done a few years ago into serving Halifax with A320s. I think the two exIberia aircraft can do it, I think I heard before that they are ETOPS equipped. However that study came to nothing when Europe Air Post (now ASL France) operated the route from Paris with a stop off in Dublin using a Boeing 737-700. The route was operated on behalf of some company, I can’t remember who though

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:10 pm

bx737 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage ...

AFAIK, the 320CEO's couldn't do Halifax, unlike with Greenland and Iceland. That would be a big hindrance. Separately, I don't think a Halifax return service would fit within the block of down-time that an EI narrow-body has overnight, given the early starts that some of these planes have flying to other European cities.

Cheers,

C.

There were studies done a few years ago into serving Halifax with A320s. I think the two exIberia aircraft can do it, I think I heard before that they are ETOPS equipped. However that study came to nothing when Europe Air Post (now ASL France) operated the route from Paris with a stop off in Dublin using a Boeing 737-700. The route was operated on behalf of some company, I can’t remember who though

Dublin Airport is getting its 15th new route of 2015, with French airline Europe Airpost announcing direct flights to Nova Scotia.

The scheduled flights, from Dublin to Halifax, will operate from July 9 to September 11, offering another new destination in North America for Irish travellers.
Flights will depart Dublin on Thursdays and Halifax on Fridays, with prices starting from €659 return, including taxes and baggage.

Europe Airpost is the French subsidiary of Dublin-based ASL Aviation Group, and the new weekly Halifax service will be its first scheduled service from Dublin.

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/tr ... 38275.html

Skyblue39

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Dublin - Los Angeles will be 10 x weekly during W18.
(Aer Lingus 6w and Ethiopian 4w).

Also for Winter, San Francisco will maintain daily service and Seattle 3 x weekly on EI.

Good to see strong service during Winter to the US West Coast.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't see either Irish airline looking seriously at Iceland. There's heavy competition between the two Icelandic carriers and I would imagine that yields on the route would be pretty low.

As for Halifax, I think there might be potential, but probably more for a Canadian airline. I think EI's route focus will be on developing new routes for its A321 fleet and that will mean assessing all of the proposals from various US airports. We don't yet know which have expressed an interest in Dublin routes, but I understand that EI is quite happy with the volume of responses.

Willie Walsh has apparently said that EI is interested in Asian routes, which surprises me; we'll just have to wait and see what happens there.

Incidentally, I'm away to the US on Friday for two weeks' hols ... can someone start the July thread for me?

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:21 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Better they target other points in Europe existing and unversed to make T/A availability possible.

There are so many unserved short-haul markets for EI to explore more - for example:

A few comments:

- There are quite a few high-yielding cities with no US flights that EI could tap - think LUX and RTM (albeit they're small).
- There are quite a few high-volume cities with little to no competition that EI may find interesting - think MOW and TLV.
- Why does EI have zero presence in Scandinavia and the Baltics? This seems like a huge gap within their network, no?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm

kaitak wrote:
I don't see either Irish airline looking seriously at Iceland. There's heavy competition between the two Icelandic carriers and I would imagine that yields on the route would be pretty low.

If yields to KEF would be low (which could well be true), then where would they actually not be low, elsewhere, within Europe?

While there are high-yielding cities like BSL, LUX, RTM, something tells me KEF's tourist demand makes it more sustainable?

The way I see it, you could end up with:

- Icelandair doing primarily US transit traffic (so, DUB - Iceland - US)
- Wow Air doing primarily O&D DUB traffic (so, DUB - Iceland - DUB)
- Aer Lingus doing primarily EU transit traffic (so, EU - DUB - Iceland)

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
San Francisco will maintain daily service ...

Is this service still reliant on tech companies sticking to their end of the deal and pre-purchasing a select number of seats on each flight?

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:35 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Is this service still reliant on tech companies sticking to their end of the deal and pre-purchasing a select number of seats on each flight?

Cheers,

C.

Its very much relying on alot of factors. The above being one and more importantly transit traffic which makes up a large portion of the route. For example connetions from FRA BRU AMS LHR etc... Without this the route would not be viable.

shamrock350

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:52 pm

It has become very apparent in recent years that Aer Lingus struggles outside of its traditional markets when it comes to short haul. If it isn't summer sun or major city, Aer Lingus steers clear and if they do make an attempt it usually fails miserably.

Scandinavia/Northern Europe - Aer Lingus has tried CPH, ARN and HEL in recent years. In fact CPH has been tried multiple times and never works out for them, even when SAS was their only competition. It was a similar story to ARN, clearly too competitive for them. In fairness HEL lasted a good while but again was quietly axed resulting in the massive gap we see in the Aer Lingus route map.

The Baltics - Aer Lingus served Vilnius and Riga for a few years, both are notoriously low yielding but survived thanks to the large numbers of Lithuanian and Latvian nationals moving to Ireland from 2004 onwards. Once the initial boom ended, Aer Lingus couldn't compete with Ryanair who dominate the Baltic market. Ireland is forging good relations with both nations at the moment, the story of our nations is eerily similar and both Latvia and Lithuania look to Ireland as an example of how to progress post independence and population falls. Aer Lingus has missed that opportunity for now. Estonia was never served.

Poland - A similar story to the Baltics with success in the mid 00s but eventually a full retreat. Aer Lingus once served Warsaw, Poznan and Krakow with A330s visiting WAW in the Christmas rush. POZ and KRK were dropped years ago and WAW was axed earlier this year which I think exposed a major weakness in their business model, if they can't make a major city like WAW work something needs to change in how they approach short haul.

Looking at that map shows quite a few tried and failed routes, HAJ, TRN, OPO, VLC, SOF, VNO, RIX, CPH, ARN and HEL which is embarrassing for an airline of Aer Lingus' size and longevity. As for new markets, nothing will change while their costs remain high, fleet remains inflexible and product stagnates.

I'd rather see AirBaltic, Wizz Air, LOT and others fill the gaps or provide the competition in Ireland that Aer Lingus clearly can't.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:29 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
It has become very apparent in recent years that Aer Lingus struggles outside of its traditional markets when it comes to short haul. If it isn't summer sun or major city, Aer Lingus steers clear and if they do make an attempt it usually fails miserably.

Indeed - quite sad. Several 'big cities' still aren't served by EI, and never have been - for example, Istanbul and Moscow are arguably the biggest cities in Europe.

Cheers,

C.

shamrock350

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:40 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Indeed - quite sad. Several 'big cities' still aren't served by EI, and never have been - for example, Istanbul and Moscow are arguably the biggest cities in Europe.

Cheers,

C.

In fairness demand to those from Ireland is probably minimal, Aer Lingus at least served Turkey in the form of Izmir long before Ryanair entered the market. Russia in general isn't the easiest place to visit, easyJet couldn't make it work from London or Manchester for example.

I think not being able to make HEL, WAW and even a nearby city like CPH not work is sadder for Aer Lingus. On the positive side we saw a similar development on UK regions, they struggled to maintain frequencies to EDI, GLA and often tried and failed on BRS but the answer was the Aer Arann agreement and creation of Aer Lingus Regional, smaller props at higher frequency was near instant success. Maybe the same can be repeated in Continental Europe with a smaller jet? Fleet commonality is great, until you need flexibility.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

In fairness demand to those from Ireland is probably minimal, Aer Lingus at least served Turkey in the form of Izmir long before Ryanair entered the market. Russia in general isn't the easiest place to visit, easyJet couldn't make it work from London or Manchester for example.

I think not being able to make HEL, WAW and even a nearby city like CPH not work is sadder for Aer Lingus.

They're all sad - particularly with the DUBHUB strategy, whereby the US services should be able to compensate for any lack of O&D demand on DUB - CPH / IST / HEL / MOW.

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

EI could never compete against TK especially come October where the IST HUB will be huge! No demand for point to point on EI for this route. The majority are for connections. TK are adding a third flight or upgrading to a WB .

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

EI could never compete against TK especially come October where the IST HUB will be huge! No demand for point to point on EI for this route. The majority are for connections. TK are adding a third flight or upgrading to a WB .

I think we're missing the point here - it's not about O&D DUB - IST demand, just as it's not for TK - it's about EI exploiting Americas demand to/from IST, and TK exploiting Africa/Asia demand to/from DUB.

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:15 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think we're missing the point here - it's not about O&D DUB - IST demand, just as it's not for TK - it's about EI exploiting Americas demand to/from IST, and TK exploiting Africa/Asia demand to/from DUB.

Cheers,

C.

When you see the fares TK offer in all classes it would be very hard for EI to meet them on price and onboard product. TK also have IST-USA stiched up and offer very competitive fares. They also have a sizeable chunk of the DUB-Africa/Asia market.

shamrock350

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:31 pm

I don’t think there’s much demand for EU-DUB-KEF either. Icelandair have the traditional Europe-Iceland business markets tired up plus the onwards US market while WOW has the low yield O&D from much of Europe to KEF plus the additional transatlantic bargain hunters. It’s not a fight worth Aer Lingus’ time.

What Aer Lingus short haul needs to focus on is how and where they can secure future growth. Right now both Ryanair and Aer Lingus have the summer sun and city break + UK regionals carved up nicely between them but Aer Lingus need to look at making major capitals in smaller markets work again and then secondary cities while increasing frequencies on current routes to fully take advantage of a DUBHUB scenario. The only way I see that happening is a smaller jet eithe through IAG ordering one (CSeries/E2) or duplicating the ATR success with a jet operator like Cityjet.

mast2407

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm

OA260 wrote:

Is that real or a doctored image? Please say it’s real!

hynithuchi

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Well, Icertainly hope it's a "doctored image " !

Galwayman

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Prices for KEF > Canaries are higher than Dub > NYC direct and the main competitor seems to be AY with a nightmare route via HEL ( taking 14 plus hours ) so there is some evidence that network yield is probably there to add KEF as a spoke to the DUB hub.... no airline is making money just flying KEF > DUB

And there is zero opportunity cost by operating a red eye like Transavias timings to Paris , in fact it clears up a parking stand at DUBovernight

For most of the destinations mentioned above EI need
- CS1000/CS3000 aircraft
- the FR feed arrangement up and running ASAP

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 pm

mast2407 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Is that real or a doctored image? Please say it’s real!

Sadly just a photoshop for Dublin Pride by EI but it would make a fab special livery with the silver Shamrock. Maybe the best alternative livery yet!

Galwayman

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 pm

That would look great on the airplane flying the Pope on his visit :-)

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Galwayman wrote:
That would look great on the airplane flying the Pope on his visit :-)

Indeed show him what Ireland represents these days long advanced on from the time the Aer Lingus B747 landed.

Regarding the Canary Island routes EI are making a killing point to point ex DUB . They dont really need to hurt that yield with KEF connections. Look at August DUB-ACE fares are around €500 return on some dates. You could get TATL on some carriers for that. IB J via MAD is similar to ACE LPA TFN

shamrock350

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:55 pm

The Aer Lingus Pride tail does look good, it's their official Pride logo internally from what I've seen.

Galwayman wrote:
For most of the destinations mentioned above EI need
- CS1000/CS3000 aircraft
- the FR feed arrangement up and running ASAP

CSeries sized aircraft? Yes.

Ryanair partnership? Not entirely. A blanket agreement would kill off any last hope of Aer Lingus organically expanding their short haul network and would leave some EU-DUB-US markets at the complete mercy of Ryanair. There are some obvious markets that will never work for Aer Lingus but do for Ryanair and hopefully those are the markets that the agreement will cover leaving enough areas in Europe for Aer Lingus to grow themselves in the future.

Any Ryanair partnership will have to be very carefully agreed, if it's too sparse it will be ineffective but if it's too deep it risks cannibalising both airlines' traditional business on individual routes.

shamrock350

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 pm

There's a one man Ryanair strike currently underway at Dublin Airport.

Images of a Ryanair cabin crew member appeared on social media earlier this evening, he was sitting in his suitcase on the grass outside the airport holding a piece of paper stating he was on strike, he refused water and appeared quite sunburnt but some people say he's upset about conditions at the airline and that he was being forced to move base which is standard Ryanair practice.

https://twitter.com/Sarahoneill1234/sta ... 7796927490

https://twitter.com/swords31/status/1011717268403875842

Whatever his reasoning or personal wellbeing, I'd worry about someone sitting in the sun all day without water and hope he's home now.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Actual agreement is finished I think but they want the service so a case of use it or lose it. All flights will be been upgraded to A330,300 (currently x4 weekly 300).

dergay

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 pm

eicvd wrote:
TUI having a bit of a nightmare in DUB today, the 0540 to TFS is only departing around 1500, the afternoon KGS is now cancelled.

Recently came back from TFS on TOM 1581 - scheduled for 22:40 departure on Friday June 8th. The airport at TFS now closes at 23:00 nightly for upgrade works, thus leaving a very tight turn-around time. Unfortunately a late inbound flight meant that we didn't depart until 13:55 the following afternoon! The travel company were excellent, providing food, hotel, breakfast and transfers within an hour of acknowledging the imminent delay.

Unfortunate though for the pax at DUB waiting for the aircraft to bring them to PMI and later KOS...........

OA260

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

Images of a Ryanair cabin crew member appeared on social media earlier this evening, he was sitting in his suitcase on the grass outside the airport holding a piece of paper stating he was on strike, he refused water and appeared quite sunburnt but some people say he's upset about conditions at the airline and that he was being forced to move base which is standard Ryanair practice.

Whatever his reasoning or personal wellbeing, I'd worry about someone sitting in the sun all day without water and hope he's home now.

Being moved between bases is a condition in their terms. He knew that when he signed up. A bit extreme maybe there are other issues involved to do with his mental health. If so hopefully he gets help.

eicvd

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 pm

dergay wrote:
eicvd wrote:
TUI having a bit of a nightmare in DUB today, the 0540 to TFS is only departing around 1500, the afternoon KGS is now cancelled.

Recently came back from TFS on TOM 1581 - scheduled for 22:40 departure on Friday June 8th. The airport at TFS now closes at 23:00 nightly for upgrade works, thus leaving a very tight turn-around time. Unfortunately a late inbound flight meant that we didn't depart until 13:55 the following afternoon! The travel company were excellent, providing food, hotel, breakfast and transfers within an hour of acknowledging the imminent delay.

Unfortunate though for the pax at DUB waiting for the aircraft to bring them to PMI and later KOS...........

They’d more serious problems last night, the BOJ flight returned shortly after departing & was ultimately cancelled. A standby BY 787 flew the BOJ flight today (Tuesday).

OA260

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 am

Tourism Ireland Partners With Iberia Express To Grow Spanish Tourist Numbers To Cork

Tourism Ireland in Spain has teamed up with Iberia Express to promote flights to Cork from Madrid and grow Spanish visitor numbers to Cork and the South of Ireland this year. The campaign is highlighting Cork Airport as a gateway to the Wild Atlantic Way and Ireland’s Ancient East.

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/tour ... cork/61575

—-

Ryanair flights: 115,000 passengers per DAY to be affected this summer due to union strike
RYANAIR cabin crew members are to strike in Spain this summer during the busiest time of the year if the airline doesn’t recognise the unions, following on from the UK’s agreement earlier this month with Unite.

Ryanair passengers could face a wave of problems this summer when travelling to Spain.

The airline’s cabin crew are threatening to strike this summer if their unions are not recognised.

According to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, it could affect as many as 115,000 passengers a day.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articl ... liday-2018

Ticketyboo

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:25 am

So, back to the old crusty issue of the somewhat worthless Aer Club... I've passed the transition from one tier to another over a month ago and over 100 tier points ago, and my account states -100 points required to reach 'X'. Aer Lingus contacted and a case number assigned, as usual with Aer Lingus nothing follows. Anyone else having similar issues?

OA260

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
So, back to the old crusty issue of the somewhat worthless Aer Club... I've passed the transition from one tier to another over a month ago and over 100 tier points ago, and my account states -100 points required to reach 'X'. Aer Lingus contacted and a case number assigned, as usual with Aer Lingus nothing follows. Anyone else having similar issues?

Have to say I have had no recent issues. All AVIOS and TPs posting even from out stations which was an issue for some before. Maybe send them a DM on FB and Twitter as they usually solve things quicker via those channels.

shamrock350

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Norwegian is fitting its 737 MAX aircraft with new seats.

Seat pitch will remain at a standard 30" while seat width will be reduced from 17.2" to 16.8" with the new Recaro 3710 seat. Norwegian claims the seat will provide a comfier and more spacious cabin for passengers.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/norwegian ... abin-14613

The real winner is Norwegian of course, each seat weighs just 10kg and will save on fuel bills.

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:06 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Looking at that map shows quite a few tried and failed routes, HAJ, TRN, OPO, VLC, SOF, VNO, RIX, CPH, ARN and HEL which is embarrassing for an airline of Aer Lingus' size and longevity. As for new markets, nothing will change while their costs remain high, fleet remains inflexible and product stagnates.

I have the opposite view to you actually. I think it shows a willingness to try new things and some flexibility if they have tried so many new routes - albeit over many years. That they have not been a success is another matter entirely. It's certainly better than never having tried, I expect.

shamrock350 wrote:

Seat pitch will remain at a standard 30" while seat width will be reduced from 17.2" to 16.8" with the new Recaro 3710 seat. Norwegian claims the seat will provide a comfier and more spacious cabin for passengers.

I didn't think they made seats for 737 type aircraft that are that narrow. This is why I go running several times a week - to make sure I will continue to fit into the ever decreasing width of an economy class seat!

leghorn

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:02 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/norwegian ... abin-14613

The real winner is Norwegian of course, each seat weighs just 10kg and will save on fuel bills.

https://www.recaro-as.com/en/aircraft-s ... l3710.html
it looks a bit hard for a 6 hour hop across the Atlantic but 200kg weight saving helps avoid pit-stops in Winter even if it is at the cost of numb-bum.

OA260

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 am

Burger King in Dublin Airport slammed for serving 'oodles of beer' where young families eat every day

It follows on from Ryanair and Aer Lingus calling for a ban on alcohol in the airport before 10am

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... d-14836128

—-

Dublin airport cannot thrive at Shannon’s expense

SHANNON Airport cannot be forgotten about as the go-ahead is given for a third terminal at Dublin Airport as part of Project Ireland 2040.

That’s according to Munster Fine Gael MEP Deirdre Clune who said that Shannon and Cork cannot be abandoned while Dublin airport thrives.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/06/27/ ... s-expense/

—-

Second Dublin Airport runway would be 'disaster' without law change

The head of DAA says unless the laws are changed, building a second runway at Dublin Airport will be a disaster.

Currently, planning conditions for the new runway, due to open in 2021, requires a reduced number of flights overnight.

Dalton Philips, the Chief Executive of DAA, which operates Dublin and Cork Airports, says that does not make sense.

Once that runway is up and running, you can only have 65 movements in and out of that airfield between 11pm and 7am. At the moment we're about 120 movements," he said.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 51030.html

ELBOB

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 am

OA260 wrote:

The head of DAA says unless the laws are changed, building a second runway at Dublin Airport will be a disaster.

Currently, planning conditions for the new runway, due to open in 2021, requires a reduced number of flights overnight.

That was the planning condition he accepted when going ahead. It wasn't a surprise they found after the fact. I'm not saying that I agree with it, I do think it's a daft restriction. But it has been there in black and white since day 1.

Sadly, as in just about all such cases the planning authority will be told to overturn the condition. It's such a common tactic now, from the smallest residential development up to airport-scale; start building and then start crying about some condition. Really we need a regulation that if a planning condition is challenged after construction begins then the whole project has to go back through appraisal.

HTCone

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

ELBOB wrote:
OA260 wrote:

That was the planning condition he accepted when going ahead. It wasn't a surprise they found after the fact. I'm not saying that I agree with it, I do think it's a daft restriction. But it has been there in black and white since day 1.

Sadly, as in just about all such cases the planning authority will be told to overturn the condition. It's such a common tactic now, from the smallest residential development up to airport-scale; start building and then start crying about some condition. Really we need a regulation that if a planning condition is challenged after construction begins then the whole project has to go back through appraisal.

I think the issue is that it’s such a blanket restriction. If there’s no restrictions on use of the current runway at night due both approaches being over green belt land,why not just restrict use of the new one in night time hours and continue to allow them to use current one as is.

mast2407

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 am

OA260 wrote:

SHANNON Airport cannot be forgotten about as the go-ahead is given for a third terminal at Dublin Airport as part of Project Ireland 2040.

That’s according to Munster Fine Gael MEP Deirdre Clune who said that Shannon and Cork cannot be abandoned while Dublin airport thrives.

Is there a growing number of these shout outs happening or is it just sill season?

EI564

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

ELBOB wrote:
OA260 wrote:
It's such a common tactic now, from the smallest residential development up to airport-scale; start building and then start crying about some condition.

I don't think they have built much up to now.

But even if they had, I think daa would love to appeal the condition but they have to wait until a new noise regulator is appointed. And the government hasn't been in much of a hurry to do that (except for suggesting that Fingal will do it).

It is an interesting question though. Should you wait years and years for all the planning conditions to be reviewed or do you put Ireland Inc first and build.

Ticketyboo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:

Have to say I have had no recent issues. All AVIOS and TPs posting even from out stations which was an issue for some before. Maybe send them a DM on FB and Twitter as they usually solve things quicker via those channels.

I routinely have to chase up missing TP & Avios from remote stations excepting LHR. I just generally find EI a failure at pretty much everything that a Flag Carrier should excell at; Aer Club is a joke, EI Lounges are dreadful with very poor selections, boarding protocols are not consistent, the App is laughable in its lack of service provision (compare with LH, BA, EK). I wish I had better options for spending my business’ money than giving it to these amateurs.

eirflot

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Ata boy Ticketyboo
You tell it like it actualy is
Let the fun begin

Cavanjets

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

He was sitting outside RYR headquartersnin Swords yesterday morning around 10am. Couldn't read his small placard as i drove by, but thought it looked odd alright

airfinglas

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 am

EI657 (FRA-DUB) cancelled last night. Aircraft arrived late ex DUB around 22:20 but couldn’t be turned around in time to meet the 23:00 curfew. Passengers were on the busses out to the aircraft only for the drivers to be told to bring the passengers back to the terminal as the aircraft wouldn’t be airborne until after the 23:00 which is forbidden by the airport owners.

OA260

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:42 am

Highest temperature in 42 years recorded at Shannon Airport

THE HIGHEST temperature in Ireland since 1976 has been recorded at Shannon Airport.

A reading of 32 degrees Celsius was recorded by Met Eireann at Shannon Airport this Thursday afternoon - the highest temperature of the 21st century, and matching the highest temperature of the 20th century.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... rport.html

—-

Stobart Air seeking 24 pilots after deal with Cork-based flight school

Stobart Air have announced a new partnership with a Cork Airport-based flight school to train and recruit up to 24 new pilots this year.
Stobart Air and Atlantic Flight Training Academy (AFTA) have developed a 16-month training program that involves 220 hours flight time through Cork International Airport.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/st ... 51495.html

tonystan

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm

eirflot wrote:
Ata boy Ticketyboo
You tell it like it actualy is
Let the fun begin

Lol, think those fireworks may be somewhat muted, i and many in here may be inclined to agree with Ticketyboo!

But still find their planes clean, punctuality great and staff second to none 90% of the time. Just wish they would embrace and invest in mor smart technology.

stratocruiser

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm

mast2407 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Is there a growing number of these shout outs happening or is it just sill season?

Although I am a Limerickman (in exile) and a huge supporter of Shannon Airport, it is ludicrous to suggest that money should be poured into airports such as Shannon or Cork, which in this day and age should be able to stand on their own two feet if they are to survive. Dublin badly needs a new terminal and their is very little doubt that this will be heavily utilised almost as soon as it is opened given the consistent growth rate of traffic at Dublin Airport year on year. On the other hand not building Terminal Three in Dublin and investing the money instead in infrastructure developments at Shannon and Cork (or other regional) airports would not increase the likelihood of more traffic in these airports as airport capacity is not the issue in any of them and investing the millions/billions we are talking about would be money down the drain. I am not sure how the MEP thinks this money should be spent on Shannon/Cork to achieve what she wants and I suspect she probably doesn’t know either and like most politicians is just saying what she thinks her constituents want to hear with a view to keeping herself in office. Of course one way this money could be used to attract more traffic to the regions might be to use it for subsidies/incentives but we all know that this would not be sustainable and it would be a very foolish use of the finances required to keep DUB competitive with other European airports.
Airports like Shannon and Cork can only gain more traffic if people want to use them and that requires vigorous marketing both at home and abroad. Shannon appeared to be fairly successful at this some years ago but Cork now seems to have the edge in attracting new flights and in part this is probably helped by its bigger catchment population. Yes a lot more investment in marketing and advertising of the regions and airports at home and abroad would probably improve passenger numbers through these airports and should be encouraged but this must not be at the expense of preventing Dublin from reaching its undoubted potential as a major international airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos