Velocity7

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2018

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:43 am

dredgy wrote:
TN486 wrote:
https://australianaviation.com.au/ties-are-on-at-virgin-blue/

An article written 8 years ago, and worth a reflection, I think. cheers

While I thought the VA transition to a Qantas competitor was at it's base a good idea, I'm fairly sure I was wrong (or more realistically, I think VA botched the execution). I don't think they should have got rid of the Virgin Blue brand for one.

10 years ago Virgin Blue was easily the best low-cost airline in the country, with an actual point of difference. Jetstar was playing catch up.
Likewise, Qantas was the best (only) full service carrier in town.

Fast forward to today.
Qantas is still the #1 full service carrier.
Qantas is also now the #1 low cost carrier since Virgin ceded the market.
Virgin is now the #2 full service carrier and has lost its niche.
Virgin is now also the #2 low cost carrier - and it had to spend money to acquire another airline just to get that spot.

So Virgin is no longer the leader in any market, and Qantas is in both markets. The real irritating thing is the sheer amount of potential that VA has. The article there is actually a good summation of Borghetti's VA - appearance over substance, which is the opposite of Virgin Blue's culture (and a reason why they were so successful).

Long time lurker, first time poster in the Aus Aviation Forum!

You make some really salient points dredgy and I agree, the lost opportunities/potential with VA are really frustrating. My avatar clearly indicates I am a supporter but by no means a fanboy - I'll call out when they mess it up.

I like to refer to VA as the 80/20 airline - from a pure customer perspective and in my experience, they do 80% of it really well but they are constantly let down by the 20% they just get plain wrong and in my view frustratingly, are really simple things to remedy. As a frequent traveller with them both domestically and internationally, this 20% for me is things like the inconsistent and ever changing entitlements across their virtual airline partner network and the amount of effort I need to put in to keep up with it, the Y domestic food offering, the website experience and the lack of 'polish' the Velocity FF program suffers from.
I find their customer service and the onboard experience excellent but I just get the feeling they aren't sure what they want to be when they grow up! I want them to be successful, as I do the entire aviation sector in this country but geez, they can make it difficult sometimes...

smi0006

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:03 am

Velocity7 wrote:
dredgy wrote:
TN486 wrote:
https://australianaviation.com.au/ties-are-on-at-virgin-blue/

An article written 8 years ago, and worth a reflection, I think. cheers

While I thought the VA transition to a Qantas competitor was at it's base a good idea, I'm fairly sure I was wrong (or more realistically, I think VA botched the execution). I don't think they should have got rid of the Virgin Blue brand for one.

10 years ago Virgin Blue was easily the best low-cost airline in the country, with an actual point of difference. Jetstar was playing catch up.
Likewise, Qantas was the best (only) full service carrier in town.

Fast forward to today.
Qantas is still the #1 full service carrier.
Qantas is also now the #1 low cost carrier since Virgin ceded the market.
Virgin is now the #2 full service carrier and has lost its niche.
Virgin is now also the #2 low cost carrier - and it had to spend money to acquire another airline just to get that spot.

So Virgin is no longer the leader in any market, and Qantas is in both markets. The real irritating thing is the sheer amount of potential that VA has. The article there is actually a good summation of Borghetti's VA - appearance over substance, which is the opposite of Virgin Blue's culture (and a reason why they were so successful).

Long time lurker, first time poster in the Aus Aviation Forum!

You make some really salient points dredgy and I agree, the lost opportunities/potential with VA are really frustrating. My avatar clearly indicates I am a supporter but by no means a fanboy - I'll call out when they mess it up.

I like to refer to VA as the 80/20 airline - from a pure customer perspective and in my experience, they do 80% of it really well but they are constantly let down by the 20% they just get plain wrong and in my view frustratingly, are really simple things to remedy. As a frequent traveller with them both domestically and internationally, this 20% for me is things like the inconsistent and ever changing entitlements across their virtual airline partner network and the amount of effort I need to put in to keep up with it, the Y domestic food offering, the website experience and the lack of 'polish' the Velocity FF program suffers from.
I find their customer service and the onboard experience excellent but I just get the feeling they aren't sure what they want to be when they grow up! I want them to be successful, as I do the entire aviation sector in this country but geez, they can make it difficult sometimes...

Their checkin experience is what kills me compared to QF at most major ports. TY in Sydney has automated bag drops, and no queues, yet VA have long lines for bag frop

downdata

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:33 am

JQ also has automated bag drops... as do most LCCs...

Qantas16

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

downdata wrote:

VA have automated bag drop at BNE International and its quite a smooth process (except for LAX flights which still do normal check in)... not sure why they cant do it at domestic when QF have been doing it for years...

a320fan

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am

Ryanair in at least Dublin have self bag drop, so I don't know why VA is such a laggard. A streamlined and modern airport experience would be totally on brand for VA.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

planemanofnz

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 am

downdata wrote:
JQ also has automated bag drops

Interestingly, in AKL, they do not.

Cheers,

C.

eamondzhang

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am

Qantas16 wrote:
downdata wrote:

VA have automated bag drop at BNE International and its quite a smooth process (except for LAX flights which still do normal check in)... not sure why they cant do it at domestic when QF have been doing it for years...

Well at MEL even SQ, CX and FJ (in addition to the normal NZ/JQ thing) do self-serve check-ins so it's definitely something up with VA.

Michael

openskies88

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 pm

John Borghetti to step down from CEO role from January 2020

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/virgin-aust ... ve-in-2020

CraigAnderson

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 pm

John Borghetti must have been reading that thread earlier this week, announces resignation as Virgin Australia CEO https://www.ausbt.com.au/john-borghetti ... -australia #aviation

xiaotung

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 am

openskies88 wrote:

Taking step to avoid getting fired and save face. How clever! It's another 18 months without a new direction for the airline. How does the VA board tolerate him when he was not even bothered to attend the IATA meeting?

CraigAnderson

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am

I really wonder what was the straw that broke the camel's back for Borghetti? Air New Zealand shacking up with Qantas? Or maybe he and the board know something we don't, eg HNA might be pulling out?

CraigAnderson

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 am

xiaotung wrote:
openskies88 wrote:
How does the VA board tolerate him when he was not even bothered to attend the IATA meeting?

Well considering what had just happened with Air New Zealand and Qantas, and that Qantas was hosting IATA, why on earth would Borghetti attend under those circumstances? Nothing but pain for VA there, it's all that anybody including media would have wanted to talk about and nobody would have listened to whatever else Borghetti had to say about Virgin even if he did have something to say.

sq256

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 am

Well it opens the door for SQ (YET again) to launch a takeover bid, although that's looking very less likely day by day.

The other option, Delta purchasing the stakes from the financially crippled Etihad or debt ridden HNA groups within the next 6-12 months, and launching a takeover bid from there prior to 2020

xiaotung

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
xiaotung wrote:
openskies88 wrote:
How does the VA board tolerate him when he was not even bothered to attend the IATA meeting?

Well considering what had just happened with Air New Zealand and Qantas, and that Qantas was hosting IATA, why on earth would Borghetti attend under those circumstances? Nothing but pain for VA there, it's all that anybody including media would have wanted to talk about and nobody would have listened to whatever else Borghetti had to say about Virgin even if he did have something to say.

If nobody would listen to him then that's exactly why he should go and perhaps he has sensed it too. I am just surprised about the 18 month lead time.

I have never heard of any CEO not attending the IATA meeting because he had a problem with the media or other CEO's. He was also not there last year in Cancun. I think VA sent Rob Sharp's predecessor.

xiaotung

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 am

sq256 wrote:
Well it opens the door for SQ (YET again) to launch a takeover bid, although that's looking very less likely day by day.

The other option, Delta purchasing the stakes from the financially crippled Etihad or debt ridden HNA groups within the next 6-12 months, and launching a takeover bid from there prior to 2020

I don't think SQ (or EY) launching a takeover bid would require the CEO's blessing. Just as JB blindsided everyone when he created new shares to accommodate NHA and diluted everyone's share value. Ultimately it's the fault of the board failing to see that JB has brought into the airline nothing but trouble.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:35 am

EY says that their alliance with VA is ongoing and currently in talks on how to improve the partnership

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... p-1.738954
Forum Moderator

MooLor

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 am

xiaotung wrote:
If nobody would listen to him then that's exactly why he should go and perhaps he has sensed it too. I am just surprised about the 18 month lead time.

Give them time to find a replacement apparently, but there seem to be several would-be CEOs waiting in the wings in this thread alone.

xiaotung

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 am

qf789 wrote:
EY says that their alliance with VA is ongoing and currently in talks on how to improve the partnership

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... p-1.738954

This may be non news. What else are they going to say when you ask them this ? What is there to improve?

EY and HNA may be in all kinds of financial troubles, but their VA investment is just so insignificant to make any sort of impact on their financials. We probably will continue to see status quo until such time when VA ask for more money, eg., ordering new long haul aircraft. JB probably knows no one would give him more money and there is no golden parachute.

angusjt

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 am

openskies88 wrote:

Good riddance, surely Virgin will have great reforms after he departs.

jupiter2

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am

angusjt wrote:
openskies88 wrote:

Wouldn't be expecting any "great reforms" unless there is some other investor out there willing to pump a great deal of money into the airline. Any reforms will be gradual and cost sensitive, if they happen at all.

An767

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 am

Perhaps the new CEO will come to realise that the current VA international network is all for looks and glamour, and will cut back and use the global partners , concentrate on Aus domestic and Trans Tasman routes which is about all they really need. They will never be a big player in Asia or the Nth American market .
My 2c worth

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Qantas16

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am

angusjt wrote:
openskies88 wrote:

That's still 18months away and would question how much money VA will have left to spend at that point...

Kashmon

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 am

sq256 wrote:

I hope SQ takes over

there is only so much SQ can grow in singapore
with Vistara in India and Virgin in Australia

SQ will become EVEN MORE FORMIDABLE and counters is losses to Cathay/Emirates

xiaotung

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 am

Kashmon wrote:
sq256 wrote:

I hope SQ takes over

Too much to pay and too little to gain? NZ said only a small portion of their passengers travel onwards to VA domestic network from an international connection. Perhaps the whole domestic connection business is over played. When you serve 8 points in Australia (SQ and MI combined), maybe you don't really need a feeder. Of course, there is the Velocity proposition but you don't need to take over VA to get it. EY and HNA are both getting Velocity and DL is getting it for free.

redroo

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

xiaotung wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
sq256 wrote:

I hope SQ takes over

Too much to pay and too little to gain? NZ said only a small portion of their passengers travel onwards to VA domestic network from an international connection. Perhaps the whole domestic connection business is over played. When you serve 8 points in Australia (SQ and MI combined), maybe you don't really need a feeder. Of course, there is the Velocity proposition but you don't need to take over VA to get it. EY and HNA are both getting Velocity and DL is getting it for free.

I’ve always believed this. Once you have the capital cities served in Australia you cover something like 95pc of the population. Sure there is feed from Albury and Rockhampton but it’s a few pax here and there. The bulk of the money and the passengers comes from the capitals.

sq256

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 pm

An767 wrote:
Perhaps the new CEO will come to realise that the current VA international network is all for looks and glamour, and will cut back and use the global partners , concentrate on Aus domestic and Trans Tasman routes which is about all they really need. They will never be a big player in Asia or the Nth American market .
My 2c worth

AN767

They are really only flying to LAX and HKG on behalf of their JV partners. If they didn't have the JV and/or equity stake, they wouldn't be flying there in the first place.

Some of the primary reasons why VA is on LAX and HKG.
* HX is not allowed to fly from HKG to BNE/SYD/MEL/PER as the bilaterals are full and no government on either end are willing to negotiate it, hence why VA is on the HKG route in a JV with partial subsidy from HX's owner HNA.
* DL has not expressed interest in expanding beyond the South Pacific at this time and were happy enough at the time to let VA do the bulk of the work (while providing T2 for VA passengers).

If anything, the only Int'l flying VA mainline would probably be on is AKL, LAX and HKG. All either due to situation with their partners or being the higher-yield cities.

AKL is only there due to the higher yield, plus VA's obligatory codeshare feed to NZ on behalf of their remaining partners (DL, HU, HX etc) and those with interline agreements (e.g GA, HA). AKL on weekends and perhaps the non-business weekday time slots could probably be handed to TT (being the only int'l route to have VA and TT together).

If any secondary/tourist cities were to kept, they would be on TT (WLG, CHC and NAN).

All other short-haul int'l could either be axed or if subsidised by freight contracts, moved to contracted freight carriers.

VA's remaining Bali flying could probably be axed all-together, perhaps negotiate a codeshare deal with GA.

EK413

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 am

Adelaide airport have announced $165 million terminal expansion planned.

Fly through the new $165m terminal expansion planned for #Adelaide Airport. It’ll be the biggest infrastructure project since completion of the existing terminal in 2005. Full video and details: (link: http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/tex) adelaideairport.com.au/tex

https://mobile.twitter.com/adelaideairp ... 9702034432

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

brucetiki

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 am

EK413 wrote:

Fly through the new $165m terminal expansion planned for #Adelaide Airport. It’ll be the biggest infrastructure project since completion of the existing terminal in 2005. Full video and details: (link: http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/tex) adelaideairport.com.au/tex

EK413

This looks really good. ADL is a great airport that serves Adelaide well, but the main bug bears at the moment tend to be the small international arrivals/departures area and the quality of the VA lounge. This upgrade addresses both of these issues (the later of course subject to how much love VA will give to the new lounge).

Having gate 18 as a dedicated international gate will also help, and enable more amenities/outlets for this area for those waiting to board (rather than the glorified holding pen you get at the moment).

redroo

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 am

brucetiki wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

This looks really good. ADL is a great airport that serves Adelaide well, but the main bug bears at the moment tend to be the small international arrivals/departures area and the quality of the VA lounge. This upgrade addresses both of these issues (the later of course subject to how much love VA will give to the new lounge).

Having gate 18 as a dedicated international gate will also help, and enable more amenities/outlets for this area for those waiting to board (rather than the glorified holding pen you get at the moment).

Plus more shops !!! Yeah ;-)

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing my Masters degree in Air Transport Management at Cranfield University and am conducting a survey on Australian people who fly domestically for business purposes for my thesis.

The survey should take less than 5 minutes to complete, so I would appreciate it very much if you could take the time to do it. The link is below.

https://cranfielduniversity.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cwrF2LCSuwU1IoZ

Once the survey is complete at the end of June, anyone who wishes to see the results can let me know and I'll send them on. You are welcome to share the survey link with anyone who travels for business reasons. If you have any questions, please leave them below.

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Trent Nickson
Air Transport Management Student
Cranfield University
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:34 am

From December QF will increase SYD-SIN from 14 weekly to 17 weekly, SYD-CGK will increase from 5 weekly to 6 weekly and SYD-NOU will increase from 3 to 4 weekly

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-boosts- ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

Qantas16

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 am

qf789 wrote:
From December QF will increase SYD-SIN from 14 weekly to 17 weekly, SYD-CGK will increase from 5 weekly to 6 weekly and SYD-NOU will increase from 3 to 4 weekly

Good news for SYD! I'm still surprised they haven't increased BNE-SIN beyond the daily flight... the current one isn't great for connections to QF1/2.

moa999

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:27 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Good news for SYD! I'm still surprised they haven't increased BNE-SIN beyond the daily flight... the current one isn't great for connections to QF1/2.
Coming back QF2/52 is 3hrs which is ok, particularly given the queues for showers in the SIN lounge.

MEL shows you need two services to make connections work. You can only catch the A380 on the way back from LHR as QF36

Qantas16

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 am

moa999 wrote:
Coming back QF2/52 is 3hrs which is ok, particularly given the queues for showers in the SIN lounge.

MEL shows you need two services to make connections work. You can only catch the A380 on the way back from LHR as QF36

The only way I can see them improving the LHR connection ex BNE without adding additional flights is to pair it with a slightly retimed QF81/82. So the aircraft would do something similar to:

QF51 BNE 1500 SIN 2100 (180 mins later than current schedule)
QF82 SIN 2230 SYD 0830 (90mins later than current schedule)
QF81 SYD 1030 SIN 1705 (15mins later than current schedule)
QF52 SIN 2000 BNE 0525 (40mins earlier than current schedule)

Evidently QF have decided the earlier arrival in SIN to cater for local traffic and other connecting passengers is more important than LHR traffic. Also that proposed schedule obviously leaves quite a long ground time in BNE but not unusual for the A330s to then be sent to AKL or swapped over for domestic operations (especially if -200).

kriskim

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am

QF might be more focussed on O&D perhaps? I mean its good to have the feed to LHR, but they should have sufficient demand from both MEL and SYD to fill the A380 to LHR, since its only 1 A380 now and not 2 like before. Considering that QF just increased SYD-SIN to x17 weekly, that indicates that the A380 going onwards to LHR is well serviced with onward traffic and they need more capacity for the local SYD-SIN market.

BNE pax also have the option to go via PER to LHR, so theres plenty of options.
A world built upon connectivity.

CraigAnderson

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am

An767 wrote:

It's a shame because Virgin Australia has the best product on AU-US routes, at least in the premium (business class and premium economy) cabin. I would think that one day to go would be to axe HKG and swing those A330s back to east-west to keep competitive with QF, maybe also send some trans-Tasman to AKL.

waoz1

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:43 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
An767 wrote:

It's a shame because Virgin Australia has the best product on AU-US routes, at least in the premium (business class and premium economy) cabin. I would think that one day to go would be to axe HKG and swing those A330s back to east-west to keep competitive with QF, maybe also send some trans-Tasman to AKL.

I agree. I usually fly business and ive found VA really good. Just not worth it going east on a 737 tho.
They need to have a plan for east-west, as industry is now a buzz with new 5 billion dollar mine announced today. There is a mini boom coming watch this space.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm

waoz1 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
An767 wrote:

I agree. I usually fly business and ive found VA really good. Just not worth it going east on a 737 tho.
They need to have a plan for east-west, as industry is now a buzz with new 5 billion dollar mine announced today. There is a mini boom coming watch this space.

Actually I think VA should consider just using the A332's on east-west routes at peak times and compliment them with whatever they decide to put in the 737MAX. Im not convinced that the previosuly dubbed Perth product is a good idea, purely from the perspective of utilisation as currently the 737's that fly east-west typically operate on other routes as well. For example today, DRW-PER-MEL, SYD-PER-DRW, BNE-PER-ADL other times they do intrastate routes to KGI, PHE and ZNE, as such having a separate product for PER could be problematic. The question is then do they end up putting a really good business class as floated on the whole 737 fleet instead. While there are some advantages to this there are also some disadvantages as well. For Asia, I think Japan would be a better market for VA rather than HKG though they lack a partner in Japan. Domestically the A332's are not heavily utilised, its not uncommon to see one arrive 10-11am and not fly out until 4pm, other times I have seen them on the ground at remote stands for longer, utilisation will likely improve once SYD-HKG starts. VA does pretty well filling the A332 on PER-MEL, PER-SYD can be a mixed bag and BNE-PER should just stay with the 737, while BNE-PER is operated by A332 on a Friday the loads I have seen havent being very good and is better suited to the 737. All in all the A332's should just be used to MEL & SYD from PER
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Tonight's SQ247 SIN-MEL-CBR has been delayed 2 hours from SIN as a emergency slide deployed while taxiing to the runway, passengers are currently being put on a replacement aircraft

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... taxiing-on
Forum Moderator

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm

qf789 wrote:
Tonight's SQ247 SIN-MEL-CBR has been delayed 2 hours from SIN as a emergency slide deployed while taxiing to the runway, passengers are currently being put on a replacement aircraft

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... taxiing-on

You meant SIN-MEL-WLG
Worked Hard, Flew Right

csturdiv

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 am

Was there ever an update on what the white substance was on AA73 that was found while unloading bags. Must not have been bad since nothing else has been mentioned on the news sites.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Hornberger

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 am

What would be the real world range of 787-10 for QA or JQ?

Based on the following configurations:
QA: 32J (78") + 300Y (31")
JQ: 28J (38") + 400Y (29")

Would it be able to fly routes such as:
MEL - HON (8,900 km)
MEL - PEK (9,100 km)
SYD - BOM (10,200 km)

Qf648

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 am

EK413 wrote:

EK413

About time adelaide airport got a bit of a tart up. But still no news on a QF business loungue.

And those regular users (like me) will know all about the stupid pickup and set down area - they really need to address this and segreagate drop off and pickup traffic.

Perth T3/T4 is just as bad but seems to flow better

qf2220

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:18 am

Asking because of posts about QF's movements to DXB for repainting.

Can QF carry any freight etc on the flight to make use of the airframe on its way to DXB? Or do anything to earn revenue and not just lose money? I know no cabin crew, meals, lower fuel use means its not costing as much to fly there but its still not earning revenue. What do other carriers do in this situation?

timtam

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:27 am

Borghetti has been a disaster as Virgin CEO. He has lost hundreds of millions of dollars of shareholders capital during his tenure. Whilst it is nice to talk about passenger experiences or routes or aircraft types etc, the facts are the business is there to make returns for its shareholders. This is the most important measure and on this basis Borghetti has been a massive disaster and potentially one of the worst CEO's in Australia over the past 10 years.

His strategy of moving upmarket has proven to be the wrong decision. It has burnt hundreds of millions of dollars of shareholder capital and it has increased the operating costs of VA, the one area it had an advantage over QF and the airline remains the second choice airline for the majority of the most profitable customers. Borgehtti has steered VA into a vice between QF mainline and Jetstar with brand challenged Tiger being ineffective and more of a liability.

He has burnt through all the shareholders equity of the listed entity and then proceeded to burn through hundreds of millions of dollars of the capital provided by its foreign shareholders. It has also burnt through the funds raised from selling 35% of its frequent flyer program.

The future is not bright for VA. It badly needs to rethink its corporate strategy unless its foreign shareholders are happy to continue pumping in hundreds of millions of dollars subsiding holiday travelers in Australia.

kriskim

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:56 am

According to Ethiopian Airlines Group CEO Tewolde Gebremariam, the airline is looking at flying to MEL via BKK, SIN or SEZ.

In a related news, Ethiopian is planning to connect Africa with Australia by air transport. On the sidelines of the 74th Annual General Meeting of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and World Air Transport Summit that was held in Sydney, Australia, Tewolde told The Reporter that Ethiopian was undertaking a study on the Australian market. “We are planning to open a new route between Addis Ababa and Melbourne. We are targeting Ethiopian and other African diaspora residing in Australia,” Tewolde said. The flag carrier is planning to fly to Melbourne via Bangkok, Singapore or Seychelles.

Read More: https://www.thereporterethiopia.com/art ... ional-jets
A world built upon connectivity.

eta unknown

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 am

qf2220 wrote:
Asking because of posts about QF's movements to DXB for repainting.

Can QF carry any freight etc on the flight to make use of the airframe on its way to DXB? Or do anything to earn revenue and not just lose money? I know no cabin crew, meals, lower fuel use means its not costing as much to fly there but its still not earning revenue. What do other carriers do in this situation?

The cost of ferrying the aircraft to DXB empty is factored into the budget. Even if the flight did carry cargo, you're probably displacing it from a scheduled service. Plus there may be some last minute operational issues that delay the aircraft's departure to DXB, so if you were carrying pax or cargo you'd be screwed. In short, nobody worries about it.

jman

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 am

Hornberger wrote:

MEL - HON (8,900 km)
MEL - PEK (9,100 km)
SYD - BOM (10,200 km)

JQ already fly to Honolulu with the 787-8

dredgy

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:34 am

kriskim wrote:
According to Ethiopian Airlines Group CEO Tewolde Gebremariam, the airline is looking at flying to MEL via BKK, SIN or SEZ.

SEZ would be an interesting choice. By all accounts PER to MRU is doing pretty well, with my calculation putting it at 80% load factor.
Would definitely be potential for the Seychelles as a tourist destination from Australia and I can’t see anyone else opening the route.

BKK and SIN would be very competitive, in both the low cost and full service market, and I have a gut feeling that Ethiopian would be avoided by the general public even if it was the cheapest option.

Hornberger

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 am

jman wrote:
Hornberger wrote:

MEL - HON (8,900 km)
MEL - PEK (9,100 km)
SYD - BOM (10,200 km)

JQ already fly to Honolulu with the 787-8

I am aware of that. My question is about the 787-10.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos