Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

AA 1293 Pax turned over to the FBI

Sun May 27, 2018 1:38 am

A belligerent traveler on a flight from St. Croix to Miami started a massive commotion on a Wednesday flight — all because he couldn't get more beer.

Even after the fight ended, and passengers were back in their seats, the man continued to be disruptive, Bolduc said.

“Hitting the chair, swearing, yelling at other passengers, spitting at people at some point,” Bolduc, who lives in Fairfax, Virginia, told WSVN.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... rylink=cpy

Beer doesn't hurt people, people who use beer hurt people.

77H

Re: AA 1293 Pas turned over to the FBI

Sun May 27, 2018 3:04 am

Queue all the “AA is racing to the bottom” folks and the “AA is some how some way responsible for this man’s actions” folks.

77H

dfwjim1

Re: AA 1293 Pax turned over to the FBI

Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 am

Obviously no Air Marshal on that flight.

dfwjim1

Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 am

drmlnr1

Sun May 27, 2018 6:49 am

The flight attendant remained cool the entire time. I give massive props to the fa for remaining professional the entire time. I’m glad no one was seriously hurt and the guy is on his way to supermax

dampfnudel

Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 am

Sometimes I wonder if it’s even a good idea to serve alcohol on a flight. I know some people will say incidents like this don’t happen often enough to deprive passengers who need to “relax” that opportunity, but when alcohol ends up setting off someone, it definitely needs to be evaluated at the very least.

MartijnNL

Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Which is good. There are 30,000 daily flights in the United States. It makes no sense to put extra security personnel on all of them. Although it sounds like a nice job, flying around the country while getting paid. But probably no window seats for these people.

flydude380

Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 am

Good riddance!

Antarius

Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am

dampfnudel wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it’s even a good idea to serve alcohol on a flight. I know some people will say incidents like this don’t happen often enough to deprive passengers who need to “relax” that opportunity, but when alcohol ends up setting off someone, it definitely needs to be evaluated at the very least.

Let's not go TSA level crazy over a handful of incidents. The pax could easily have gotten drunk before boarding too.

Morons should be punished. The rest of us should be allowed to enjoy life.

dampfnudel

Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Antarius wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Let's not go TSA level crazy over a handful of incidents. The pax could easily have gotten drunk before boarding too.

I agree that it would be unfair to the pax who can consume their alcohol in moderation, but in this litigious society, we may be only one lawsuit away from a total alcohol ban not only on aircraft, but in airports as well. Maybe there should be a limit of one alcoholic beverage for each pax onboard to account for the possibility that the pax may had already consumed a couple of drinks at the airport. I know some pax (pilots as well) have been denied boarding at the gate, but sometimes they make it onboard. Serving those pax a couple of more drinks may be basically like lighting their fuse.

dfwjim1

Sun May 27, 2018 9:19 pm

[url][/url]
drmlnr1 wrote:
The flight attendant remained cool the entire time. I give massive props to the fa for remaining professional the entire time. I’m glad no one was seriously hurt and the guy is on his way to supermax

I hope he enjoys the hospitality he receives from the Miami office of the FBI...LOL. I wonder if making a homophobic remark to the flight attendant will be one of the charges filed against him?

grbauc

Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 pm

dampfnudel wrote:
Antarius wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

I agree that it would be unfair to the pax who can consume their alcohol in moderation, but in this litigious society, we may be only one lawsuit away from a total alcohol ban not only on aircraft, but in airports as well. Maybe there should be a limit of one alcoholic beverage for each pax onboard to account for the possibility that the pax may had already consumed a couple of drinks at the airport. I know some pax (pilots as well) have been denied boarding at the gate, but sometimes they make it onboard. Serving those pax a couple of more drinks may be basically like lighting their fuse.

Yep let’s makes rules and rules for more rules to dictate everything. Of course your idea of limits sounds good but then we’ll have to make more and more rules to cover that rule. Personal responsibility is a fine rule and covers many actions without the need for 100’s of explaining rules.

TWA772LR

Mon May 28, 2018 3:58 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
. I wonder if making a homophobic remark to the flight attendant will be one of the charges filed against him?

While that does make him a douche bag, it's not illegal. Definitely wont help his case though.

commpilot

Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Air Marshalls are not cops to break up fights and talk down jerks. They have one mission only... Protect the Flight Deck. That drunk fight could have been diversion hoping a Marshall would blow their cover. It's up to the Flight Attendants to secure the cabin and totally optional to a Marshall.

dfwjim1

Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 pm

commpilot wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Air Marshalls are not cops to break up fights and talk down jerks. They have one mission only... Protect the Flight Deck. That drunk fight could have been diversion hoping a Marshall would blow their cover. It's up to the Flight Attendants to secure the cabin and totally optional to a Marshall.

Interesting...I was under the impress that Air Marshals were responsible for the security of the whole aircraft and not just securing the cockpit. Going to have to start a separate thread about Air Marshals.

Judge1310

Mon May 28, 2018 11:10 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
commpilot wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Interesting...I was under the impress that Air Marshals were responsible for the security of the whole aircraft and not just securing the cockpit. Going to have to start a separate thread about Air Marshals.

commpilot is correct, FAMs are only there to prevent a breach or attempted breach of the flight deck. Now, should a FAM decide to intervene on behalf of the cabin crew then that's their decision. A competent FA would *never* seek out FAM assistance just because of a pax disturbance -- this is part of that "here for your safety" portion of training that they experience. Indeed, reaching out for a FAM in a scene like this could be quite the wrong thing to do...history was taught us this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos