Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Justapax

Re: Music in Airport Terminals

Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Music blaring out over the PA is just about the worst thing I can imagine, after constant boarding calls (here's looking at you FRA!). Luckily many airports are 'silent' these days, meaning no sodding boarding calls, certainly no music over the PA, and sound off the phalanx of TVs showing CNN.

SLC is the worst with the mechanical voice repeating the gate announcements. And the "airport lady voice" is in soooo many airports with her annoying "Attention passengers" repeated security warnings every 5 minutes.

ER757

Fri May 25, 2018 11:52 pm

TasFlyer wrote:
Then there's this dude at SEA ...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jzircVhkUjE

SEA also has some, shall we say, more "traditional" musicians along with this gentleman. They lost one of their best venues while the central marketplace is being renovated but I'm sure that will be a popular spot for them again once construction is completed

Alias1024

Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 am

It’s tough to beat the tunnel in DTW when the Motown hits are playing and the lights are synchronized.

NWADC9

Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 am

PIT plays classical music from local musicians including the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
LGA Terminal C and D play cheesy elevator music, but the food court area in C plays pop music. Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind (Part 2)" is one of the tracks.
DTW McNamara terminal doesn't pipe anything through the sound systems, but there is a pianist in the north food court and a guitarist by Illy next to the fountain. Also by the fountain is a piano that plays itself (the north food court piano goes on autopilot when the two pianists that play go on break). Otherwise the only music you'll hear is from the tunnel, with its iconic electronic music and Motown hits on rotation. Christmas time sees Trans-Siberian Orchestra and other Christmas songs synchronized to the lights.
BNA plays country music. Go figure.

fraspotter

Sat May 26, 2018 1:48 am

Others have said it but Austin as a city is known for their live music scene and their airport AUS is no different.

KMCOFlyer

Sat May 26, 2018 3:06 am

Justapax wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Music blaring out over the PA is just about the worst thing I can imagine, after constant boarding calls (here's looking at you FRA!). Luckily many airports are 'silent' these days, meaning no sodding boarding calls, certainly no music over the PA, and sound off the phalanx of TVs showing CNN.

SLC is the worst with the mechanical voice repeating the gate announcements. And the "airport lady voice" is in soooo many airports with her annoying "Attention passengers" repeated security warnings every 5 minutes.

This!!! I can’t stand hearing an automated final boarding call voice in SLC every 5 mins even when on the opposite side of the airport. Back to the original question on airports with music, the National Hall in DCA Terminal B/C typically has some music playing. (never pay attention to what kind)

tkoenig95

Sat May 26, 2018 3:28 am

AUS has live music every weekend I believe, as well during big events such as SXSW, ACL, and Formula 1. Such a great time to stop by and see local artists before boarding a flight.

BrooklyBOMgal

Sat May 26, 2018 5:44 am

DEL has its own round-the-clock radio https://www.facebook.com/MirchiT3/

rnav2dlrey

Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 am

SFO has modern but chill electronic music.

the connector between LAX T6 and T7 plays 1960-70s jazzy elevator music. i’m not sure if the terminal itself has music, but it’s always notable in the (quieter) connector while walking past the art installations.

Flydude1063

Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 am

I kind of dig the Native American music that is played at DEN as you stroll the walkway from the Jeppesen terminal to Concourse A. Definitely different, and pretty neat.

ben175

Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

There's a live band playing traditional Fijian music right before customs at NAN. Was an awesome welcome to Fiji!

flashmeister

Sat May 26, 2018 7:48 am

So there are standards about on-concourse amplification, speaker placement, message, etc. Concourse B, for example, is at approximately the corner of 20th and Brunside.

Look at this Airport Cooperative Research Project report: https://pubsindex.trb.org/view/2018/C/1496281

In it, you'll see: the higher and wider the road, the less important visial markings appear.

AIRT0M

Sat May 26, 2018 8:02 am

'Elevator music' in FRA - mainly in the restrooms, but also in the baggage halls and gates (there hardly noticable)...also music in the pedestrian tunnel, depending on the changing instalations they have there.
Edit: sometimes they have live piano players or bands in the atriums in A/Z.

N766UA

Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 pm

CLE has whatever is the most annoying $#!¥ they can find on full blast.

chunhimlai

Sat May 26, 2018 4:22 pm

No Motherland without you in North Korea Airport?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og43-7QUphw

jonnyclam123

Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm

In NAS there is generally a live band playing

BWIAirport

Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Tom Bradley International Terminal in LAX had a nice little band playing contemporary music when I passed through there in August 2017

MartijnNL

Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 pm

rosecityspotter wrote:
PDX (Portland, OR) frequently has an assortment of performers that volunteer their time to perform. Of course they accept tips and have CD's available, but they aren't paid by the Port. From what I have seen, it is always well received and seems to help make an often stressful experience a little bit less stressful...

Thank you for mentioning both the airport code and the city. I know quite some airport codes, including this one, but I have no idea to which city SMF and SRQ belong to.

Four years ago I made my first short trip to the Pacific Northwest. I still remember the morning I started my journey home. Live music at Portland Airport. I loved the atmosphere, remembered it ever since, while dreaming of coming back someday.

Last month I made my second visit to the region. From San Francisco I travelled to Portland, spending five hours airside at the terminal, watching aircraft and listening to live music. I loved it again. Some great musicians at play. It really ads to the total travel experience.

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is my home airport. No music there. I don't miss it. But at Portland Airport the live performances seem very fitting. Maybe because this airport is not that big.

Nice topic! :thumbsup:

bgm

Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 pm

'Stand By Me' is a popular song played in the restrooms at MSP. :duck:

Okcflyer

Sun May 27, 2018 1:31 am

IAH B South (new) had trendy country music playing fairly loudly until about 18 months ago. I recall the sound system was one of the advertised features during the initial opening.

flydude380

Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

In DTW, I’ve heard Eminem play... jokes!

Tbh, I’ve not heard music in ages play within terminals. Unless, I’m not focusing.

IAHWorldflyer

Sun May 27, 2018 5:48 pm

MEM always has music by Memphis based artists playing, some soul, some early rock and roll. Think Al Green, Johnny Cash, Elvis, etc.

Slightly off topic, but does Rio ( GIG) still have that lovely lady Iris Lettieri doing the boarding announcements?

TWA772LR

Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 pm

HOU and IAH started having live bands last year play. Like cover bands, string quartets, and pianists.

SmithAir747

Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I have seen grand pianos at ORD, YEG, DTW, and other airports.

Once, two years ago, when passing through ORD T3, I was allowed to sit and play the grand piano located between a chocolate shop and a wine bar.

SmithAir747

petertenthije

Sun May 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Schiphol only plays one song, a mantra really... it goes “mind your step” ad infinitum. And it’s everywhere in the terminal!

PRGEC

Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Slightly off topic, but does Rio ( GIG) still have that lovely lady Iris Lettieri doing the boarding announcements?

Unfortunately not... For some time the airport administration tried to come back with the annoucements but it seemed impossible to carry on. Their last attempt was making Iris's voice useful for advises such as "don't forget your luggage", etc. I'm not sure if it is still like that.

Btw, GIG plays Brazilian Popular Music throughout its terminals. The administration even owns a broadcast radio so that you can listen up thru your smartphone.

hz747300

Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 am

AUS seemed to promote live bands in each bar at the terminal. I think the music in airports is filled with subliminal messages to encourage us to buy overpriced sandwiches and soda pop.

JAAlbert

Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Then there's this dude at SEA ...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jzircVhkUjE

The only thing missing is Mary Poppins flying in, which would be very appropriate for an airport. :lol:

Beechtobus

Mon May 28, 2018 6:07 am

C525C wrote:
LAS D gates plays The Killers almost 24/7. Asked one of the gate agents one time (I know, I know) and seems to be a mutual promotion of their hometown band. I love The Killers, so it's alright by me!

Yep- LAS typically plays The Killers Imagine Dragons (another local band), or songs that are synonymous with Vegas (lots of Elvis, One of the many versions of “Viva Las Vegas”, etc).

CPH-R

Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 am

cedarjet wrote:
londonistan wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned " Music for Airports" by Brian Eno, one of the first of a series of 'Ambient' music recordings from the mid seventies. It was designed to calm and soothe, especially the more nervous flyer. I'm not aware of any particular airport terminal that plays it, but give it a listen and see what you think.

Quite right, you guys have to check out Music For Airports. I think it was conceived as an art installation to play in the terminal for either Pittsburgh Philly or LGA. Apparently passengers said it made them feel sad and anxious! And to be fair it’s not traditional Muzak, it has a bit of substance to it. Anyway give it a spin, magical album, and read up on its history, fascinating.

IIRC Eno mentioned it was inspired by a long layover at CGN, where the only music playing was whatever the local vendors had brought along, which he found rather boring and uninspiring.

As for Music for Airports itself, it was used as part of an art installation at the Marine Air Terminal at LGA.

CARST

Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 am

London Heathrow's T5 doesn't have music in most parts AFAIK, but there is music being played on all restrooms and the music played are classic movie soundtracks, like Ennio Morricone, John Williams, Hans Zimmer and others...

CARST

Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 am

London Heathrow's T3 has a piano standing around near the gates which QF and CX use (that large hall, don't know the gate numbers) and often pax just sit down and play it. I think there is even a sign saying you can play it if you know what you do. Happened twice already that some young talented guy played some songs on it. One of the had a hole band with him and they improvised with using their bags as drums etc., that wasn't a bad at all...

sassiciai

Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

I remember visiting SIN for the first (of many subsequent visits) and being very struck by the fact that there was NO MUSIC, and no departure messages, it was a haven of peace, decorated with flowering orchids! Even the shopping areas were calm and subdued. What a great experience. That is how an airport gets to the top in the world rankings!

When I read some posts above about loud pop/rock music blasting out in an airport terminal, it makes me cringe. That is even worse than the airports whose terminals are largely shopping malls selling the usual airport selection of stuff at above high street prices, crowded and noisy. More recently, many terminal layouts force you through the shopping mall to get to the departure gates!

rbavfan

Mon May 28, 2018 12:11 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
I demand that it be federal law that at the time an airport has the lowest amount of passengers within the property grounds, Africa by Toto must be played.

LOL

rosecityspotter

Mon May 28, 2018 9:47 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
rosecityspotter wrote:
PDX (Portland, OR) frequently has an assortment of performers that volunteer their time to perform. Of course they accept tips and have CD's available, but they aren't paid by the Port. From what I have seen, it is always well received and seems to help make an often stressful experience a little bit less stressful...

Thank you for mentioning both the airport code and the city. I know quite some airport codes, including this one, but I have no idea to which city SMF and SRQ belong to.

Four years ago I made my first short trip to the Pacific Northwest. I still remember the morning I started my journey home. Live music at Portland Airport. I loved the atmosphere, remembered it ever since, while dreaming of coming back someday.

Last month I made my second visit to the region. From San Francisco I travelled to Portland, spending five hours airside at the terminal, watching aircraft and listening to live music. I loved it again. Some great musicians at play. It really ads to the total travel experience.

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is my home airport. No music there. I don't miss it. But at Portland Airport the live performances seem very fitting. Maybe because this airport is not that big.

Not sure about SRQ, but SMF is Sacramento

flymco753
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm

rosecityspotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
rosecityspotter wrote:

Not sure about SRQ, but SMF is Sacramento
SRQ is Sarasota-Bradenton

spinkid

Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 pm

SWF was stuck on an 80's synth pop loop for a while. Stacey Q, The Jets, Jermaine Stewart

Justapax

Tue May 29, 2018 12:24 am

bgm wrote:
'Stand By Me' is a popular song played in the restrooms at MSP. :duck:

As someone who (attempts to??) write humor, I must say this touched my funny bone!

msdabest

Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 am

DXB has a whole concert series, they call it musicDXB.

https://connectblog.dubaiairports.ae/ai ... -the-tune/

Friarboy

Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 pm

One day while meandering around MSP I was treated to a concert by Blue Note recording artist Jose James http://www.bluenote.com/artists/jose-james

ODwyerPW

Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 am

I fly into Albany (ALB) quite often. Family lives there and I have clients there. I don't recall the music. However, they most definitely have more security warnings playing at greater frequency and volume than any other airport that I visit.

That said, prior to 9/11 and the need to relocate/expand security screening and restrict entry, they used to have a large informal group of musicians that would gather in the common area where all 3 concourses intersect on Wednesday nights and play Old Timey music. It always put a smile on the faces of arriving passengers. A lovely little thing that has disappeared... replaced by increased security and the accompanying broadcasted warnings.

Second the mandatory playing of 'Africa' by Toto on those 12:45am arrivals at secondary airports!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos