Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cunard

Re: BA ends another African destination - June 2018

Fri May 25, 2018 12:32 am

Arion640 wrote:
If BA have reduced it to one weekly then it's practically being set up to fail.

However, a net gain into Africa for BA with Durban being launched along with JNB going 3 daily on some days of the week. Also the addition of the extra Marrakesh flight from LGW.

The additional RAK flight is from LHR, BA already fly from LGW to RAK 5 weekly.

evanb

Fri May 25, 2018 12:49 am

berari wrote:
So they are using the $ they have in LAD to fill up the tanks, as in, spend the $ locally.

I have always wondered about this, what options other than transferring the $s back to the home country, do airlines have in such circumstances? What other options do they have beyond fuel and aircraft maintenance that could be paid for locally? Could BA pay locally for a service that a third party wants in LAD (that's not necessarily aviation related) and that third party pays BA in LHR, or would that constitute money laundering?

Wouldn't be money laundering, but what services would they procure locally in Luanda? Fuel is one, but there risks attached to it. Easier for KLM or BA to do than say SAA since SAA would need to land an aircraft heavy in JNB and even then with more fuel than they might need for the next leg, but it's a cunning idea!

Arion640

Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 am

Cunard wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
If BA have reduced it to one weekly then it's practically being set up to fail.

However, a net gain into Africa for BA with Durban being launched along with JNB going 3 daily on some days of the week. Also the addition of the extra Marrakesh flight from LGW.

The additional RAK flight is from LHR, BA already fly from LGW to RAK 5 weekly.

Yes sorry, typo.

berari

Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 am

evanb wrote:
berari wrote:
So they are using the $ they have in LAD to fill up the tanks, as in, spend the $ locally.

I have always wondered about this, what options other than transferring the $s back to the home country, do airlines have in such circumstances? What other options do they have beyond fuel and aircraft maintenance that could be paid for locally? Could BA pay locally for a service that a third party wants in LAD (that's not necessarily aviation related) and that third party pays BA in LHR, or would that constitute money laundering?

Wouldn't be money laundering, but what services would they procure locally in Luanda? Fuel is one, but there risks attached to it. Easier for KLM or BA to do than say SAA since SAA would need to land an aircraft heavy in JNB and even then with more fuel than they might need for the next leg, but it's a cunning idea!

I'm imagining a third party that's purchasing something else. Imagine Harrods purchasing $5 million worth of scarves from Angola (work with me.) Could Harrods pay that sum to BA in London, whereby BA pays the scarve dealer in Angola in local $, thus having to avoid directly repatriating funds out of the country?

evanb

Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 am

berari wrote:
I'm imagining a third party that's purchasing something else. Imagine Harrods purchasing $5 million worth of scarves from Angola (work with me.) Could Harrods pay that sum to BA in London, whereby BA pays the scarve dealer in Angola in local $, thus having to avoid directly repatriating funds out of the country?

Sure, that is called a swap transaction. But other than oil and diamonds that cannot be easily traded (since Angola centralize all selling of these commodities), what else of note/interest does Angola produce? The problem with these sorts of transactions is that the transaction costs and burdens are high. There probably isn't enough profit in a low frequency route to warrant these sorts of efforts.

mast2407

Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
TC957 wrote:
BA used a 789 to LAD, so hardly surprising they want all serviceable 789's freed up.
Also, BA is cancelling NRT for nearly 3 weeks 8 - 27 June which again should allow for 789 engine work.

Cancelling NRT completely, or just one frequency? That seems extreme!

Can you not tell from the comment you quoted?

No. I cannot. Now if I had checked, I’d have learnt that BA only seems to have one frequency a day, but anyhow. We live and learn.

Apologies that you were so anguished that you had to reply. I won’t do it again.

Peace.

EvanWSFO

Fri May 25, 2018 12:28 pm

mast2407 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
mast2407 wrote:

Cancelling NRT completely, or just one frequency? That seems extreme!

Can you not tell from the comment you quoted?

No. I cannot. Now if I had checked, I’d have learnt that BA only seems to have one frequency a day, but anyhow. We live and learn.

Apologies that you were so anguished that you had to reply. I won’t do it again.

Peace.

It's all good. Just pointing out that so many people do not fully read a comment or link before posting. I just got flamed for doing the same thing. Cheers.

MalevTU134

Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm

berari wrote:
airbuster wrote:
KLM will reduce to 2x weekly this winter. They also have problems repatriating cash. Plane leaves with a maximum fuel load so as to ship out fuel iso cash.

Buy property. Several airlines own(ed) property in both Buenos Aires and Caracas, which they invested in when they couldn't repatriate hard currency from those markets. It also could make sense, as the problems of repatriation of funds is almost invariably connected in time with a slump in local markets, including the property market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos