Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AriaPark
Topic Author

What's the purpose of this Antonov plane? (AN-124)

Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi all! Apologies if this is not the right place for this question, but couldn't find a more fitting place for it. Also I'm quite new in all this aviation field so please bear with me!

I've searched in the forum for references to this plane and there were people asking about it, but I've seen little responses to their queries. The thing is I saw an Antonov taking off from Malaga and captured it with my FlighRadar app. I had only seen it in pictures so it was quite the achievement, however it doesn't seem to follow an specified route and it's just going from airport to airport. I understand this is a cargo plane, but could anyone tell me what is its purpose? Who owns it?

This is a screenshot of the route it has been following up until today:

Thanks!

leleko747

Re: What's the purpose of this Antonov plane? (AN-124)

Tue May 22, 2018 2:56 pm

It is operated by Antonov Airlines, a subsidiary company of Antonov Design Bureau (the manufacturer)... they use it for charter operations, transporting oversized loads. Hope this helps!

leghorn

Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 pm

I heard in an automotive industry report that the Ford F-150 is so important to Ford that when a supplier's factory and machinery went on fire and halted production very recently they chartered in an Antonov to return the machine to the manufacturer for repair. A couple of money is no obstacle jobs like that each year and they'd be making more money than on a year round regular scheduled service and the Antonov stays fresh avoiding the need for as much maintenance.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-ford-use ... 1826116377
Last edited by leghorn on Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldFlier

Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Carrying heavy or large things that cannot be carried by other planes due to weight or size restrictions:

Do you think a 747 can swallow a train?

Or carrying things that cannot be transported by rail or train to remote places.

Or delivering large things in fast time (such as electric transformers after a crisis).

WorldFlier

Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 pm

AriaPark wrote:
Hi all! Apologies if this is not the right place for this question, but couldn't find a more fitting place for it. Also I'm quite new in all this aviation field so please bear with me!

I've searched in the forum for references to this plane and there were people asking about it, but I've seen little responses to their queries. The thing is I saw an Antonov taking off from Malaga and captured it with my FlighRadar app. I had only seen it in pictures so it was quite the achievement, however it doesn't seem to follow an specified route and it's just going from airport to airport. I understand this is a cargo plane, but could anyone tell me what is its purpose? Who owns it?

This is a screenshot of the route it has been following up until today:

Thanks!

Oh, and if you need to haul even more fish, you can charter the AN-225:

FatCat

Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 pm

They used it to ferry the AF A380 engine that exploded, too
There was a nice National Geographic documentary about the Ruslan

NZ321

Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm

BTW I think your email is a great question and worth of discussion.

WorldFlier

Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Bricktop wrote:
What I didn't know is how low to the ground it can get.

"Kneeling" as it is called.

Check out the amazing landing gear:

Bricktop

Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 pm

What I didn't know is how low to the ground it can get.

Beechtobus

Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I’ve seen her (the AN 124) in Denver quite a bit. I believe she hauls rocket parts from there that are built at the Lockheed Martin plant in Littleton that are too large to be transported by rail.

2Holer4Longhaul

Tue May 22, 2018 3:47 pm

It was originally a Soviet military transport plane to carry heavy materiel. After the Cold War, it entered civilian use as a charter plane for loads too big to go in a 747F

LupineChemist

Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 pm

I was in a group that very nearly had to contract one. If a large piece of equipment goes down in an oil refinery and you're missing out on millions in revenue per hour, paying a few hundred grand to get the equipment there ASAP is an obvious decision.

That was also crazy as when you needed to send a service technician from the other side of the world. If there was a $5k flight that got you there in 20 hours and a $30k flight that got you there in 15, it was the obvious choice to buy the expensive one. (I've personally seen numbers like that) It was a hell of a non-stop premium.

F9Animal

Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm

I have helped unload this type several times in Seattle. They bring engines often.

9MMPQ

Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 pm

We recently had it in AMS picking up satellite parts. The airport released a video on it's Youtube channel showing it in action with it's cargo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1i6Gy4 ... e=youtu.be

Apprentice

Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 pm

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
It was originally a Soviet military transport plane to carry heavy materiel. After the Cold War, it entered civilian use as a charter plane for loads too big to go in a 747F

Hi:
And that was the begining, do not forget. It was ordered as a replacement to An-22, to deploy Red Army, including Armored vehicles where they wanted to do.
Just it was finished to late and had to search work in this world.
At the begining it also flew from Germany to Mex, (via Hav) with necessary toling for Mex VW to change his old car production to another newer.

Impresive:
- long cockpit for 5 crew, yes 5! Pilot and Co-pilot
- left side, behind Pilot, a-la-IL-62, Navigant.
- right side, behind Co Pilot: 2 ea F/E!!!, don’t asking me why.

Also, impresive were that they were powered at T.O by only 4 D16T engines= more of less= 4 x 16000 kgf,= 64kgf total. At that time a Dc-10-30 used 3 x CF6-50 at more less 22 800 kgf each x3 = 68 400 kgf. So soviet make from a necessity, a virtue, a plane with outstanding flight characteristics. For a much more heavy AN-225, they used 6 engines.. A 16 T engine was a first for them, with very low Time Between Overhauls, but they were sure that western will not sell parts to improve equipment intended to be used against NATO..

Behind cockpit, a crew rest very similar to a soviet pax train’s vagon.

And in the tail, vertical stabilizer, behind rudder. after climb an spiral stairs, : ground crew rest, mechanics + Load Master

I’m sure I had teld before, but for them.. back from Mex it come empty and (supose more cheap) they do long stop there. You may find crew, in short at main cargo deck, playing football!.

It is an oustanding plane! And I like to remenber that at that time, Soviet’s PC were just “borning”, working with old software (ibm like cards one), no to much of them, and those who know how to use, had to spare ninght time and beg that they were not out of service this night. So I consider it, last plane made with “Slide -Rules”

Rgds

aemoreira1981

Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm

I have seen that a few times at JFK as well. When taxiing, an airport control car is needed as its pilot when crossing an active runway. The Ilyushin IL-76 serves a similar purpose...nonstandard cargo.

As for the OP...the only question about where it should be is if it belongs in TechOps.

Cubsrule

Tue May 22, 2018 7:58 pm

leghorn wrote:
I heard in an automotive industry report that the Ford F-150 is so important to Ford that when a supplier's factory and machinery went on fire and halted production very recently they chartered in an Antonov to return the machine to the manufacturer for repair. A couple of money is no obstacle jobs like that each year and they'd be making more money than on a year round regular scheduled service and the Antonov stays fresh avoiding the need for as much maintenance.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-ford-use ... 1826116377

I suspect it’s not related to this fire, but she is at DTW today. Quite a pleasant surprise for me on a work trip full of WN 73Gs and DL MDs.

freakyrat

Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Several years ago they flew one into Fort Worth Alliance Airport and flew out with the whole front fuselage of a B747.

c933103

Tue May 22, 2018 8:06 pm

To put it in simpler terms it mean that they are now available for hire like taxi for people or companies that want to transport whatever they wanted to across the world, particularly for things that could not fit into other aircrafts

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos