Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wnflyguy

Re: WN's Upcoming Winter Schedule Release on 5/31

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Well it Looks and sounds like the Political pressure from the NIMBY crowd has pressed the FAA to do another PAE environmental traffic Impact study. First Report was based off of only 15 daily flights. This will mostly likely push the openings date well into 2019.

WN should stay committed to PAE when it eventually opens up. But for the time being maybe 5 flights a day to Bellingham should be considered.

Flyguy

SANFan
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well it Looks and sounds like the Political pressure from the NIMBY crowd has pressed the FAA to do another PAE environmental traffic Impact study. First Report was based off of only 15 daily flights. This will mostly likely push the openings date well into 2019.

WN should stay committed to PAE when it eventually opens up. But for the time being maybe 5 flights a day to Bellingham should be considered.

Flyguy

You ought to start a thread on this subject, flyguy. Important stuff.

I've got to say, despite not being a fan of all the nimby nonsense that goes on in the U.S. in general, from a planned 15 daily flights to somewhere around 25-ish or more, I'm certainly not surprised to hear this. And maybe not even against the move to get another traffic impact study. That is a pretty hefty increase in planned commercial activity at the airport.

bb

AirFiero

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 pm

SANFan wrote:
A couple of thoughts on WN vs. AS in CA.

AS has 2 hubs and 2 focus cities in CA. WN has major ops in SAN, LAX, OAK, and now SJC and they're working on SMF as well. In SAN, both AS and WN have large ops -- WN #1 in town in every category while AS is #2 in destinations served and # daily departures & possibly # gates -- and they certainly do compete with each other. With SAN serving 22-23M pax a year, and there is no hub op'd by anyone, I think there's room for both cx to thrive and I don't think AS is going anywhere. Both cx continue slow and steady growth at Lindbergh Field.

In SJC, an airport that sees ~13M pax, and also has no hub, AS has grown a lot and I expect will continue to do so. It now appears that WN has decided to declare war on AS there while they throw everything they've got at the airport. I would guess too much. It seems there is a lot of excess capacity showing up at Mineta lately while WN adds flights and routes. AS seemed to carefully add flights where they could see either need or potential (as they do everywhere) with the ability to add EMJs or 737s (or now, 'Buses) as the required. For example, AS has a single EMJ r/t between SJC and TUS -- discussed above -- that apparently sees lousy LFs. Here comes WN with a 737 in the market! Maybe WN will be patient with all these new markets and they will all do really well. I personally will be very surprised if that happens.

OAK remains WN's rock, and AS remains pretty much hands off. IMO, SFO is a developing AS stronghold where WN maintains a core of service but is not interested in battling everything that exists there. LA seems sort of slow and steady for both cx, neither making any huge moves lately. SMF seems to be another target of WN, determined to grab everything possible there while AS has remained rather uninterested for the most part. (The airport used to be very expensive but I think that issue has reversed itself somewhat.)

SJC seems right now to be THE epicenter of the battle for California and I'll be interested to see if the traffic is there to support everything that is coming its way... Good luck to all involved in this war!

bb

I think the SJC question is whether it can capture some of the traffic (literally) that drives by SJC for SFO can be captured. There is certainly some non-insignificant percentage of passengers at SFO who could conveniently use SJC but choose SFO. Sometimes it is fares are lower due to competition at SFO, sometimes it is the simple perception that SFO has the service the passenger wants and SJC doesn’t (or requires an undesirable connection). What percentage of SFOs 50-something million passengers are closer to SJC and therefore a potential customer for SJC? That would be an interesting thing to find out.

As for AS, they have a Potential advantage because they have smaller aircraft to put on routes. Southwest must commit a 737 or nothing. This also is something that should be considered when looking at the war between the two carriers.

tphuang

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 pm

AirFiero wrote:
tphuang wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Yeah, I’ve noticed that. WN has declared war. It will be fascinating to see how this plays out. Does AS stick it out at SJC? Does their product (F seating, reserved seats, AAdvantage miles, etc) mean they have a different type of customer, and does it gain them loyalty? Is there room for both types of airlines?

Imo As is not going away, but they could cut some of the marginal routes if things get bad at sjc.

I think wn sees that they are not competitive out of sfo so they are concentrating on their strengths.

Very interesting. Have you seen some numbers?

AS has been cutting a bit at SFO and growing at SJC. I wonder if the trend will continue with WN.

Yes, I generally don't post the fares numbers I'm getting because too many people start attacking them. So I will just post the LF from Jan/Feb. Now remember that AS operates RJ on a good chunk of these routes, so they need to generate higher lf and fare numbers to get similar profit level as WN.

SEA market - AS generally does pretty well here. I think their fare numbers are higher too. AS does mostly mainline here.
SJCSEA 696.00
OO 1824 88.21
WN 63097 70.79
AS 138329 76.78
CP 31442 70.01

More of an even market. I'd be interested to see what happens when WN goes to 8x daily
SJCPDX 569.00
OO 7980 71.72
QX 8132 75.58
AS 61082 71.95
WN 59140 70.60

This is the market AS really gets killed in. 50% LF on RJs are huge money losers
SJCBUR 296.00
OO 17708 46.41
WN 135088 61.49
QX 7752 57.65

Not bad here, would have to see the fare numbers to see how OO is doing. Again, 82% LF on RJ with low fares numbers are not going to cut it either
SJCAUS 1476.00
OO 8816 82.89
WN 31671 88.17

Just AS so far, but I think WN has entered this now?
SJCBOI 523.00
QX 8968 84.92

This isn't going to last either. WN dominates DAL too much, even on routes like SEA/PDX.
SJCDAL 1450.00
OO 1976 55.11
WN 19323 77.11

I don't think anyone is making money here. DL and AA probably has the highest yields. WN LF is pretty good considering they are running 737s.
SJCLAX 308.00
OO 43230 66.19
DL 19316 59.49
CP 79446 70.45
WN 168058 64.37

Again, not bad for OO. Also fares at SNA are higher than other LA area airport. Would be interesting to see the effect on added WN flights
SJCSNA 342.00
OO 24168 73.09
WN 140744 79.62

Not great for either side.
SJCRNO 188.00
WN 29808 64.26
QX 16644 72.17

Same as above
SJCSAN 417.00
OO 25612 75.66
WN 193829 73.13

SJCTUS 722.00
OO 8968 77.26

AirFiero

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:48 pm

Could you tell us how to interpret those numbers?

tphuang

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm

The number next to the city pair is the distance between the two airports.

After that each row contains airline code, the number of emplaned and the load factor. From number emplaned, you can see how much wn dominated some of these markets. And then you can see load factor percentag next to that.

Sjc San is like a typical west coast route with as regional and wn. Wn typically has a few percent higher load factor and their fares are also a few percent higher. It doesn’t seem like a big deal but when you consider that’s probably a 10% advantage over all in yield and 737 will have much lower cost per seat, a route that might be making money for wn becomes a money looser for as. And there is a bunch of routes like that out of sjc and San. When things are going well for as and fuel cost is low, they can maintain disastrous routes like bur sjc. But things are not going great for as right now and fuel cost is going through the roof. Wn sees this, hence all the added capacity.

usflyguy

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:40 pm

WN generally has much higher frequency on these routes as well.

jplatts

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 pm

Is WN going to get access to extra gates at SJC this fall? WN currently only operates out of 8 gates at SJC, and WN will be really full at SJC with the increased WN service out of SJC. 100 departures a day out of 8 gates comes out to an average of 12.5 departures per gate per day.

AirFiero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 am

jplatts wrote:
Is WN going to get access to extra gates at SJC this fall? WN currently only operates out of 8 gates at SJC, and WN will be really full at SJC with the increased WN service out of SJC. 100 departures a day out of 8 gates comes out to an average of 12.5 departures per gate per day.

Good question. SJC is building 4 more gates, with completion scheduled for July 2019. It will be interesting to see this play out.

AirFiero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:00 am

tphuang wrote:

After that each row contains airline code, the number of emplaned and the load factor. From number emplaned, you can see how much wn dominated some of these markets. And then you can see load factor percentag next to that.

Sjc San is like a typical west coast route with as regional and wn. Wn typically has a few percent higher load factor and their fares are also a few percent higher. It doesn’t seem like a big deal but when you consider that’s probably a 10% advantage over all in yield and 737 will have much lower cost per seat, a route that might be making money for wn becomes a money looser for as. And there is a bunch of routes like that out of sjc and San. When things are going well for as and fuel cost is low, they can maintain disastrous routes like bur sjc. But things are not going great for as right now and fuel cost is going through the roof. Wn sees this, hence all the added capacity.

Thanks, tp.

SJCBOI 523.00
QX 8968 84.92

Yes

This isn't going to last either. WN dominates DAL too much, even on routes like SEA/PDX.
SJCDAL 1450.00
OO 1976 55.11
WN 19323 77.11

Didn’t AS just add a second flight, maybe for later this year?

tphuang

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm

AirFiero wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Thanks, tp.

SJCBOI 523.00
QX 8968 84.92

Yes

SJCDAL 1450.00
OO 1976 55.11
WN 19323 77.11

Didn’t AS just add a second flight, maybe for later this year?

Yes, because they are trying to find enough flights to hold onto the DAL property. Because somehow those 2 gates are worth a lot. Reality is that outside of DAL-LAX/SFO which VX had operated sucessfully for a while, the rest of the DAL routes are all loosing money. AS is deciding to stick it out longer to see if those routes will turn around, but routes like DAL-SJC/SAN are just not going to work when fuel prices are this high.

TTraider95

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:01 am

f18raider wrote:
Looks like DEN-LBB was added.

So happy LBB got some additions after being stagnant for years. I really hope they bring back the HOU flight.

jplatts

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm

WN could add nonstop service to MDW, DEN, and LAS out of RIC. RIC is in a big enough market to support nonstop service to more than just ATL on WN, and most of the markets in the U.S. that are similar in size to RIC already have daily nonstop service to at least 7 destinations on WN. RIC is also located in one of the largest U.S. metro areas that has never had F9 service, and RIC is also located in the largest market in the U.S. that does not have nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's.

While WN already has nonstop service out of DEN to most of the domestic destinations that it will ever serve nonstop from DEN, WN could also add nonstop service to CLT, DSM, PAE, and ICT out of DEN, and WN could also bring back DEN-BUF nonstop service.

jplatts

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:37 pm

The first 737 MAX 7 planes will be starting service with WN in early 2019. WN will likely be announcing the initial 737 MAX 7 routes in this schedule announcement, and DAL-HOU will likely be one of the first routes that WN operates the 737 MAX 7 on.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos