SANFan
Topic Author

WN's Upcoming Winter Schedule Release on 5/31

Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 am

I noticed that nobody has started this up yet (I hope) and thought it's about time.

The next WN schedule extension is supposed to happen on May 31, Thursday, and will open the booking window from Nov 4 -- the end of DST -- thru January 6, 2019 -- the end of the Holiday season. So this extension will essentially cover the Thanksgiving and Christmas travel season.

First, it doesn't look like Hawaii will happen this year so I think that's off the table. PAE should be started by this November but as with Hawaii, we need to see the official announcement via press release before we start predicting schedules, etc. Those, I assume, will be added to the Holiday schedule after the routes are announced.

So typical holiday enhancements will be included but I don't expect to see anything new in place (i.e., new routes.)

What are your thoughts and hopes? Anyone expect anything exciting from WN?

bb

tphuang

Re: WN's Upcoming Winter Schedule Release on 5/31

Mon May 21, 2018 10:11 am

I really hope to see the HI stuff! waited a long time to see what they plan to do, even though I'm not flying on them. The AvGeek in me can't wait.

I'd say SAN/OAK-HNL/OGG to SJC/SMF-HNL to start off.

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Southwest had said on February 20, 2018 that it plans on further expansion at LAS, but Southwest has stated that it has no plans on adding nonstop service to Hawaii or international destinations from LAS in the near future. WN could add LAS-CVG, LAS-MEM, LAS-RIC, and LAS-PAE nonstop service, and WN could bring back LAS-JAX, LAS-MHT, LAS-ORF, LAS-PVD, and LAS-IAD nonstop service. WN could also extend LAS-LGB and LAS-MSP nonstop service to year-round daily nonstop service.

While WN hasn't yet expanded RIC beyond the RIC-ATL nonstop route acquired by the WN-FL merger or the RIC-MCO nonstop route that has been brought back on a seasonal basis, RIC is located in a big enough market to support nonstop service to more than just ATL on WN. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to MDW, DEN, LAS, BNA, and TPA from RIC in addition to the existing RIC-ATL nonstop service.

There are some more nonstop routes (in addition to already announced routes or upcoming Hawaii routes) that WN could add out of California in order to better compete against AS, including SFO-BWI, SFO-IAD, OAK-BOS, OAK-PHL, OAK-RDU, OAK-IAD, SJC-EWR, SJC-RDU, SJC-TUS, SJC-IAD, LAX-FLL, LAX-EWR, LAX-PHL, LAX-SEA, LAX-IAD, SAN-BOS, SAN-MSP, and SAN-OMA.

WN does have opportunities to add additional nonstop routes out of TPA, including nonstop service to TPA from CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, and RIC.

WN could bring back HOU-LBB daily nonstop service on a year-round basis. There is also enough demand for WN to bring back HOU-PHL nonstop service since PHL is one of the top destinations traveled to from HOU that isn't currently served nonstop from HOU, since the O&D demand for HOU-PHL is almost as big as the O&D demand for DAL-PHL, and since WN now has nonstop international routes out of HOU.

I am surprised that WN hasn't already added HOU-PUJ nonstop service with HOU being one of the major international gateways for WN and with WN already serving PUJ nonstop from ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL. HOU-PUJ nonstop service will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU, and I expect WN to be announcing HOU-PUJ nonstop service sometime soon.

WN had also stated that it is considering adding HOU-CLE nonstop service and nonstop service to Texas destinations from CVG. WN could add HOU-CVG and HOU-CLE nonstop service since WN would be able to connect passengers to AUS, SAT, MAF, ELP, CRP, HRL, and international destinations from CVG and CLE if WN added HOU-CVG and HOU-CLE nonstop service. In addition, WN also has opportunities to add nonstop service to DTW, MSP, and SMF from HOU.

stlgph

Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Oh good, so we're already off and running on the endless naming of random cities where Southwest can add service. Put me down for Peoria to Spokane.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

evank516

Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm guessing we'll here what they're doing with the extra LGA and DCA slots they're getting from AS.

737max8

Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 pm

tphuang wrote:
I really hope to see the HI stuff! waited a long time to see what they plan to do, even though I'm not flying on them. The AvGeek in me can't wait.

If I had to guess, it will be a stand alone announcement and not part of a schedule extension. They can simply withhold the aircraft from the schedule.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

MIflyer12

Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm

stlgph wrote:
Oh good, so we're already off and running on the endless naming of random cities where Southwest can add service. Put me down for Peoria to Spokane.

It would seem good practice to let them announce new routes and then comment, rather than speculate.

southwest1675

Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm

PDX-BNA
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 pm

evank516 wrote:
I'm guessing we'll here what they're doing with the extra LGA and DCA slots they're getting from AS.

WN had said last year that it wanted to add CMH-LGA nonstop service it if could acquire extra slots at LGA, and WN will likely be announcing CMH-LGA nonstop service next week.

OzarkD9S

Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

It would seem good practice to let them announce new routes and then comment, rather than speculate.

It was a joke, but ironically that would have been a great route for my Uncle, who lived in Spokane with family in Peoria. Well, back in the 70's. :lol:
C'mon BA, bring your tail to STL. :airplane:

bob75013

Mon May 21, 2018 2:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

How refreshing. A voice of common sense.

flymco753

Mon May 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Because they performed so well on the Saturday MCO-DTW flight last winter, I suspect that route will return but it could potentially be daily.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Which is exactly what I said in the OP...

bb

WNflyer1523

Mon May 21, 2018 3:30 pm

I’m excited to see what they’ll do with the LGA and DCA new slots.

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Will WN add CVG-MCO nonstop service? There were some Cincinnati-area customers who flew to MCO on WN or FL out of DAY, IND, CMH, or SDF prior to WN's entry into CVG last year. In addition, there is more O&D demand to MCO from some of the markets smaller than CVG that already have nonstop service to MCO on WN, including ALB, CMH, BDL, IND, MCI, MKE, BNA, and RDU. There were already also some Cincinnati-area customers who connected to Florida destinations through BWI or MDW on WN.

WN could stimulate further growth on the CVG-MCO route if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service. In addition, WN would be able to connect passengers to FLL and MBJ from CVG through MCO if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service.

WN also has an opportunity to add LGA-MCO nonstop service with the extra LGA slots that WN has acquired from AS, but WN already has nonstop service to MCO from EWR and ISP. WN can also already connect passengers to MCO from LGA through BNA or ATL. However, there is less need for WN to serve MCO nonstop from LGA with WN already serving MCO nonstop from EWR and ISP.

United_fan

Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm

ROC-FLL ? Would be nice,probably wont happen. The only 'major' NY airport w/o FLL / S Florida service.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I guess I'm kind of intrigued about the possibility of SAN-BOS on WN. We've got 2 cx in the market already, B6 & AS, neither of which seems interested in really putting the market away. B6 has a third r/t in the market that it's suddenly pulling right in the middle of this peak summer season (July), and AS doesn't appear willing and/or able to even get a second flight up and running. (The last DOT numbers, Table 1A for 4Q17, show an O&D of 555PDEW. For a market with essentially 3 year-round daily r/t.)

Seems to me like WN might be considering the route, I hope, and they might just do it! And succeed. I suppose it could happen in the winter but I think it more likely it would start in the summer months. We'll see...

I would also really like to see our 'seasonal' routes, IND and MKE (and GEG? - who knows what's with this route) become year-round but maybe WN will at least bring them back for the holidays this year.

bb

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 4:47 pm

United_fan wrote:
ROC-FLL ? Would be nice,probably wont happen. The only 'major' NY airport w/o FLL / S Florida service.

I agree that WN could possibly add ROC-FLL nonstop service, at least if B6 doesn't add ROC-FLL nonstop service. In addition, WN also has opportunities to add nonstop service to FLL from CVG, CLE, SDF, MEM, OMA, ORF, and SAN.

cvgComair

Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Supposedly the CVG-PHX service was supposed to go year round, but that never happened. DL must have scared them off the route, but I will be curious to see if they try adding it back in this extension.

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Supposedly the CVG-PHX service was supposed to go year round, but that never happened. DL must have scared them off the route, but I will be curious to see if they try adding it back in this extension.

I didn't expect WN to be extending CVG-PHX seasonal nonstop service past April 7th yet since WN had just started CVG-PHX nonstop service on the date of the last WN schedule extension, but I could possibly see WN announcing CVG-PHX nonstop service on a year-round basis in a schedule extension this summer or this fall.

Does anyone know what the load factors were like on WN CVG-PHX nonstop service?

chrisnh

Mon May 21, 2018 5:19 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest had said on February 20, 2018 that it plans on further expansion at LAS, but Southwest has stated that it has no plans on adding nonstop service to Hawaii or international destinations from LAS in the near future. WN could add LAS-CVG, LAS-MEM, LAS-RIC, and LAS-PAE nonstop service, and WN could bring back LAS-JAX, LAS-MHT, LAS-ORF, LAS-PVD, and LAS-IAD nonstop service. WN could also extend LAS-LGB and LAS-MSP nonstop service to year-round daily nonstop service.

Speaking just about MHT, wintertime business travel is a dicey proposition when all you've got are cold-weather connection points. MHT seems to be way more north-south focused and way less east-west, with only MDW giving us a sensible path to places like LAX, SFO, SEA and so on. In the winter, I'd like to see PHX and/or LAS come back to MHT, since either is a 'safer' connection place than MDW and BWI. WN obviously saw sense in running nonstop to both cities (DEN, too!) from MHT several years ago.

But realistically ever since BOS opened up for Southwest, MHT has retrenched severely. I understand and accept that MHT was just a stopgap for eventual service at BOS. But It isn't now and never was about the viability of MHT as a market; planes are very full and a look at the LF out of MHT proves that. But in my view there should be more balance and that means more east-west to go along with all the north-south flying they do at MHT.

dbo861

Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I’m hoping WN brings back the seasonal DSM-PHX flight with this extension. Last year it didn’t begin until January, but I could see them bring it back earlier this season so it will benefit from holiday traffic.

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm

chrisnh wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Speaking just about MHT, wintertime business travel is a dicey proposition when all you've got are cold-weather connection points. MHT seems to be way more north-south focused and way less east-west, with only MDW giving us a sensible path to places like LAX, SFO, SEA and so on. In the winter, I'd like to see PHX and/or LAS come back to MHT, since either is a 'safer' connection place than MDW and BWI. WN obviously saw sense in running nonstop to both cities (DEN, too!) from MHT.

But realistically ever since BOS opened up for Southwest, MHT has retrenched severely. It isn't now and never was about the viability of MHT as a market. But in my view there should be more balance and that means more east-west to go along with all the north-south flying they do at MHT.

While I agree that WN could bring back nonstop service to PHX, LAS, and DEN from MHT, WN also could possibly add nonstop service to ATL or BNA from MHT.

Mboyle1988

Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm

My life would be swell if they added BOS and CLT out of PHX so I can finally give up AA for good.

WN732

Mon May 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:
My life would be swell if they added BOS and CLT out of PHX so I can finally give up AA for good.

I think they would if they had the space to do so. I believe there is no room to budge in their schedule at CLT.

MCIRNO

Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 pm

SMF-MCI, SJC-MCI, and/or the SNA-MCI returns...lots of daily potential nonstop passengers plus the connections to Hawaii would become available

LGB-MDW, not likely but it would be interesting to see them add long range flights to LGB

wnflyguy

Mon May 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Well we already know WN has plans to add new capacity to LGB,PAE,HAV,DCA and LGA.
And depending on the ETOPS approval.
They have idle aircraft to ADD Hawaii service anytime between October and December.
Last I've heard they have 43 aircraft dedicated to new flying, 29 Hawaii Etops NG800 and 14 for new flying opportunities mentioned above. That's not counting the seasonal shifts either. Now IF the Hawaii ETOPS isn't approved for this year winter schedule. That's 29 additional aircraft for winter peak adds.
There's so many Rumors and speculations for this schedule release it's not even worth my time to post. Especially since there is more WN hate than enthusiasm on A.net anymore.

Excited for the what if's.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

SumChristianus

Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well we already know WN has plans to add new capacity to LGB,PAE,HAV,DCA and LGA.
And depending on the ETOPS approval.
They have idle aircraft to ADD Hawaii service anytime between October and December.
Last I've heard they have 43 aircraft dedicated to new flying, 29 Hawaii Etops NG800 and 14 for new flying opportunities mentioned above. That's not counting the seasonal shifts either. Now IF the Hawaii ETOPS isn't approved for this year winter schedule. That's 29 additional aircraft for winter peak adds.
There's so many Rumors and speculations for this schedule release it's not even worth my time to post. Especially since there is more WN hate than enthusiasm on A.net anymore.

Excited for the what if's.

Flyguy

Thanks.

43! They could easily add 100 new roundtrips with that! Is the "old Southwest" back with a booming U.S. economy?

Redeyes?

Hope they don't add to much in DEN though, I'm pulling for a UA expansion there...!

IND-BNA is their biggest whole out of both IND and BNA while I think there are opportunities on LAX-EWR with AS/VX pulling back slightly.
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-DEN
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 pm

There is probably enough demand for WN to add BWI-RNO nonstop service since there is currently no nonstop service to RNO from IAD, DCA, or BWI and since there is an average of almost 270 passengers a day who travel between RNO and Washington, D.C. (in both directions). There is also government travel between RNO and Washington, D.C. with RNO being the closest commercial airport to Carson City (the capital of Nevada). WN would also be able to connect passengers to RNO from other East Coast destinations through BWI if it added BWI-RNO nonstop service, and WN would also be able to more attract leisure travelers on the East Coast who are traveling to the Lake Tahoe area if it added BWI-RNO nonstop service.

wnflyguy

Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 pm

MCIRNO wrote:
SMF-MCI, SJC-MCI, and/or the SNA-MCI returns...lots of daily potential nonstop passengers plus the connections to Hawaii would become available

LGB-MDW, not likely but it would be interesting to see them add long range flights to LGB

One of the million rumors about LGB is WN added available excess capacity to SNA for summer time flying brought back SNA-MDW service. But WN loses the capacity again in September.
But in that Idle aircraft time is rumored to be switching to LGB for September and October.
LGB access plan allows the airport to give WN Temporary authority to use unused slots until November when vacant B6 slots will be awarded permanently to airlines under the noise plan.

So i wouldn't be surprised to see daily 2 LAS,1 DEN and 1 daily LGB-MDW service for September-October.
LGB been pushing for Chicago and Washington DC to return since B6 axed them awhile ago.
I don't see LGB-BWI but definitely see LGB-MDW.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Another SWA speculation post, another chance for breathless excitement and anticipation from the XNA fanboys. Can't believe they're not already here predicting this is their time...

Pass the popcorn

MCIRNO

Mon May 21, 2018 6:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

One of the million rumors about LGB is WN added available excess capacity to SNA for summer time flying brought back SNA-MDW service. But WN loses the capacity again in September.
But in that Idle aircraft time is rumored to be switching to LGB for September and October.
LGB access plan allows the airport to give WN Temporary authority to use unused slots until November when vacant B6 slots will be awarded permanently to airlines under the noise plan.

So i wouldn't be surprised to see daily 2 LAS,1 DEN and 1 daily LGB-MDW service for September-October.
LGB been pushing for Chicago and Washington DC to return since B6 axed them awhile ago.

Flyguy

That would make sense. As an armchair route planner, I do think MDW, HOU, BWI and DAL would work out to LGB. At least WN has some of their international flights out of SNA and not needing LGB...

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

MCIRNO wrote:

I agree that WN could possibly add MCI-SJC nonstop service with MCI being one of the largest WN stations that doesn't have nonstop service to SJC and with SJC being one of the top destinations traveled to from MCI that doesn't currently have nonstop service from MCI. In addition, IND, BNA, RDU, and SAT are other top destinations traveled to from SJC that currently do not have any nonstop service to SJC, and WN could also add nonstop service to IND, BNA, RDU, and SAT from SJC.

MCI, along with HOU, SAT, and BNA are 4 of the top destinations traveled to from SMF that are not currently served nonstop from SMF. I agree that WN could possibly bring back MCI-SMF nonstop service, and WN could also add nonstop service to HOU, SAT, and BNA from SMF.

barney captain

Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 pm

737max8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If I had to guess, it will be a stand alone announcement and not part of a schedule extension. They can simply withhold the aircraft from the schedule.

This is spot on imo.

HI will be a stand alone announcement, dependent of course on the ETOPS approval.
Southeast Of Disorder

wnflyguy

Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 pm

barney captain wrote:
737max8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

This is spot on imo.

HI will be a stand alone announcement, dependent of course on the ETOPS approval.

Yep this announcement will probably be 100% Hawaii Free!
If rumors and speculation about a potential October or November start date are true.
That would give WN it's historically 3 to 4 months sale window for new markets of a June or July announcement.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvanWSFO

Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will WN add CVG-MCO nonstop service? There were some Cincinnati-area customers who flew to MCO on WN or FL out of DAY, IND, CMH, or SDF prior to WN's entry into CVG last year. In addition, there is more O&D demand to MCO from some of the markets smaller than CVG that already have nonstop service to MCO on WN, including ALB, CMH, BDL, IND, MCI, MKE, BNA, and RDU. There were already also some Cincinnati-area customers who connected to Florida destinations through BWI or MDW on WN.

WN could stimulate further growth on the CVG-MCO route if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service. In addition, WN would be able to connect passengers to FLL and MBJ from CVG through MCO if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service.

WN also has an opportunity to add LGA-MCO nonstop service with the extra LGA slots that WN has acquired from AS, but WN already has nonstop service to MCO from EWR and ISP. WN can also already connect passengers to MCO from LGA through BNA or ATL. However, there is less need for WN to serve MCO nonstop from LGA with WN already serving MCO nonstop from EWR and ISP.

If they add more than five of the routes you've mentioned in your posts I will be surprised. All those routes from LAS you said they could bring back? They aren't operated now for a reason. Nothing to indicate they'd be successful the second time around.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
All those routes from LAS you said they could bring back? They aren't operated now for a reason. Nothing to indicate they'd be successful the second time around.

WN has already announced plans to bring back ALB-LAS nonstop service this fall.

There is currently no nonstop service to LAS from RIC on any airline, and the lack of nonstop service to LAS from RIC is a huge hole in the RIC market. There is probably enough demand for WN to add RIC-LAS nonstop service if another carrier doesn't add RIC-LAS nonstop service as there is an average of over 160 passengers a day who travel between RIC and LAS (both directions included). There is also significant demand for flights to Greater Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area from RIC, even though there is currently no nonstop service to LAX, SFO, or OAK from RIC on any airline. WN would be able to connect passengers to its California destinations from RIC through LAS if it added RIC-LAS nonstop service.

I agree with your point regarding the discontinued WN nonstop routes between LAS and the East Coast. However, WN has already stated that it plans on further expansion at LAS, and the remaining possibilities are increased frequencies to destinations already served nonstop from LAS on WN and addition of nonstop service to markets such as CVG, MEM, and RIC that have never had any nonstop service to LAS on WN.

evank516

Mon May 21, 2018 8:41 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
jplatts wrote:

If they add more than five of the routes you've mentioned in your posts I will be surprised. All those routes from LAS you said they could bring back? They aren't operated now for a reason. Nothing to indicate they'd be successful the second time around.

I'm going to go with Evan here. I'm also (yet again) going to write off the LGA-Florida idea as not happening this time around. It's not that it wouldn't be smart, but it's just so well served by other carriers, and WN found their niche with NYC-Florida out of ISP that there are other more important routes to be flown from LGA.

WN732

Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 pm

PAE should be opening sometime in September. As others have stated above, I would expect to see something about it in this release.

INFINITI329

Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 pm

jplatts wrote:
evank516 wrote:

WN had said last year that it wanted to add CMH-LGA nonstop service it if could acquire extra slots at LGA, and WN will likely be announcing CMH-LGA nonstop service next week.

I don't see the allure to WN operating CMH-LGA. Especially seeing how the largest aircraft on the route are CR9s &E175s. I rather see some more Florida service. I think making LGA-FLL 2x daily is essential if WN intends to compete for Caribbean bound NYC traffic.

jplatts

Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
I don't see the allure to WN operating CMH-LGA. Especially seeing how the largest aircraft on the route are CR9s &E175s. I rather see some more Florida service. I think making LGA-FLL 2x daily is essential if WN intends to compete for Caribbean bound NYC traffic.

WN does have nonstop service to MDW from CMH, but almost all of the nonstop service between CMH and ORD is on regional jets. However, UA does operate 1 mainline nonstop a day in each direction between CMH and ORD.

While UA doesn't have any mainline flights to IAD from CMH and while AA doesn't have any mainline flights to DCA from CMH, WN does serve both BWI and DCA nonstop from CMH. AA also doesn't have any nonstop mainline flights to its MIA hub from CMH, but WN and NK both serve FLL nonstop from CMH.

WN will also be starting year-round daily nonstop service to HOU from CMH starting on October 3rd, even though UA doesn't operate any nonstop mainline flights between CMH and IAH.

While F9 has nonstop service to LGA from CVG, while DL has seasonal mainline nonstop service to LGA from CVG, and while G4 has nonstop service to EWR from CVG, but most of the nonstop service between CVG and NYC on AA, DL, and UA is on regional jets.

There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch titled "Southwest has become John Glenn Airport’s biggest carrier in its 25 years here" published almost a year ago that said that "Ganss said Southwest would like to consider adding service to LaGuardia from Columbus as it gets more 'slots' at the New York airport, which has limited capacity", and that article can be found at http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170602/southwest-has-become-john-glenn-airports-biggest-carrier-in-its-25-years-here.

It is not necessarily unusual for WN to add CMH-LGA nonstop service since CMH is located in the 2nd largest metropolitan area in the Midwest that has nonstop service to NYC on only the big 3 legacy carriers. CMH is also the largest WN station in the Midwest that doesn't already have nonstop service to NYC on WN. There are also already 22 daily nonstops to NYC from CMH on the big 3 legacy carriers.

Midwestindy

Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm

jplatts wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

WN does have nonstop service to MDW from CMH, but almost all of the nonstop service between CMH and ORD is on regional jets. However, UA does operate 1 mainline nonstop a day in each direction between CMH and ORD.

While UA doesn't have any mainline flights to IAD from CMH and while AA doesn't have any mainline flights to DCA from CMH, WN does serve both BWI and DCA nonstop from CMH. AA also doesn't have any nonstop mainline flights to its MIA hub from CMH, but WN and NK both serve FLL nonstop from CMH.

WN will also be starting year-round daily nonstop service to HOU from CMH starting on October 3rd, even though UA doesn't operate any nonstop mainline flights between CMH and IAH.

While F9 has nonstop service to LGA from CVG, DL has seasonal mainline nonstop service to LGA from CVG, and G4 has nonstop service to EWR from CVG, but most of the nonstop service between CVG and NYC on AA, DL, and UA is on regional jets.

There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch titled "Southwest has become John Glenn Airport’s biggest carrier in its 25 years here" published almost a year ago that said that "Ganss said Southwest would like to consider adding service to LaGuardia from Columbus as it gets more 'slots' at the New York airport, which has limited capacity", and that article can be found at http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170602/southwest-has-become-john-glenn-airports-biggest-carrier-in-its-25-years-here.

WN can add service to everywhere
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

INFINITI329

Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 pm

jplatts wrote:
It is not necessarily unusual for WN to add CMH-LGA nonstop service since CMH is located in the 2nd largest metropolitan area in the Midwest that has nonstop service to NYC on only the big 3 legacy carriers. CMH is also the largest WN station in the Midwest that doesn't already have nonstop service to NYC on WN. There are also already 22 daily nonstops to NYC from CMH on the big 3 legacy carriers.

Firstly, you made great points in your post. WN lack of fleet flexibility along with LGA being slot controlled is a deal breaker for me. I just don't envision being able to fill a 73G on such a route that would be heavily reliant O&D traffic. The big 3 are backed by connections thru their hubs into CMH. Even so it appears that most of the traffic are regional jets. I don't think this is the right point to point route for WN. If WN had a 100 seater it would make it a little easier to try and convince me but not much. I still contend these slots should be used for MCO & FLL daily service.

KLMatSJC

Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

I agree that WN could possibly add MCI-SJC nonstop service with MCI being one of the largest WN stations that doesn't have nonstop service to SJC and with SJC being one of the top destinations traveled to from MCI that doesn't currently have nonstop service from MCI. In addition, IND, BNA, RDU, and SAT are other top destinations traveled to from SJC that currently do not have any nonstop service to SJC, and WN could also add nonstop service to IND, BNA, RDU, and SAT from SJC.

MCI, along with HOU, SAT, and BNA are 4 of the top destinations traveled to from SMF that are not currently served nonstop from SMF. I agree that WN could possibly bring back MCI-SMF nonstop service, and WN could also add nonstop service to HOU, SAT, and BNA from SMF.

SJC actually now does have 2x weekly SAT flights on F9. Not that it really changes your argument. I am still surprised that there is still no RDU flight. It was a hit when Midway was doing it.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

LotsaRunway

Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 am

jplatts wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
All those routes from LAS you said they could bring back? They aren't operated now for a reason. Nothing to indicate they'd be successful the second time around.
I agree with your point regarding the discontinued WN nonstop routes between LAS and the East Coast. However, WN has already stated that it plans on further expansion at LAS, and the remaining possibilities are increased frequencies to destinations already served nonstop from LAS on WN and addition of nonstop service to markets such as CVG, MEM, and RIC that have never had any nonstop service to LAS on WN.

It seems to me that most of the long Northeast- LAS flights got cut during high oil. Once oil came down WN needed all the aircraft they could get to start the big nontraditional WN airports. With oil being down and more planes available, it seems entirely realistic that at least some of these could be restarted. Besides, there was s Vegas Newspaper article about a year ago that suggested exactly that after the new gates opened. I don’t have the link, but it was posted on A.net when it was fresh.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue May 22, 2018 1:51 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Firstly, you made great points in your post. WN lack of fleet flexibility along with LGA being slot controlled is a deal breaker for me. I just don't envision being able to fill a 73G on such a route that would be heavily reliant O&D traffic. The big 3 are backed by connections thru their hubs into CMH. Even so it appears that most of the traffic are regional jets. I don't think this is the right point to point route for WN. If WN had a 100 seater it would make it a little easier to try and convince me but not much. I still contend these slots should be used for MCO & FLL daily service.

The only problem is WN will need several dalies to compete on LGA-MCO/FLL. Though it's important to link LGA to FLL year-round if WN wants to really compete for NYC to the Caribbean leisure traffic.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 am

WN732 wrote:
PAE should be opening sometime in September. As others have stated above, I would expect to see something about it in this release.

Based on the announcements of intended service PAE will be at capacity within months of opening.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue May 22, 2018 1:54 am

wnflyguy wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

Flyguy

LGB-MDW would be an important link for Long Beach in general. BWI is less critical because until/unless B6 pulls out completely in the future they'll have service to JFK and BOS. Midwestern links are really lacking still from southern California's second-tier airports.

Balloonchaser

Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 am

Could this be the Caribbean Expansion?

I feel like WN would start in the Caribbean right before Christmas and pull a Winter/Spring Seasonal..

tphuang

Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
evank516 wrote:

They would get destroyed on that route. I guess it didn’t stop them from adding ewr fll, which they are definitely getting destroyed on. If they want to loose money undercutting b6 and dl in the nyc to Caribbean market, they can go right ahead.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos