Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

senatorflyer

Re: European expansion in SFO

Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
Hmmm. I’ve lived in SF for a while and had family there too. I think your statements are not entirely correct.
- Important financial centre yes but not for Europeans.

I would disagree, at least with respect to venture capital/technology finance and banking. A huge number of European startups choose to relocate or open offices in the Bay Area. Many European governments have accelerators here, to say nothing of private sector accelerators.

From a banking point of view SFO is not even in the top 10 financial cities around the world. It’s an important financial center but not much more than Dubai is.

MartijnNL

Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
new observation deck

Wait, what?! An observation deck? In the United States? When? Where precisely? How?

Where is/was the old observation deck at SFO?

n471wn

Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
n471wn wrote:
As a 41 year resident of the San Francisco Bay Area I was interested in your post about SFO. However, your statement that SFO is “one of the best airports in the United States” is laughable. It is simply one of the worst—just above Newark. You are right that it has lots of airlines and lots of destinations. But SFO is an operational nightmare and if on time and cancellations have any meaning to people then let me just state what we locals have long known: If you can fly out of Oakland or San Jose then do so. What a treat to fly non-stop to London, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Oslo, Paris, and soon Berlin out of Oakland. SFO is runway constrained due to the environmental anti-growth bunch and all the nice terminals cannot change the fact that when you go to SFO and expect your flight to leave on time you will be disappointed 40% of the time.

SFO has its operational difficulties relating to weather, to be sure. But facilities-wise, yes, it is one of the best airports in the country.

As for the anti-growth issues, these affect OAK as much as SFO.

No OAK is not impacted because they are doing fine with one runway and can become like Gatwick. If you live here then you know that when SFO is at 50% due to weather (usually fog) OAK and SJC are just fine.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
Hmmm. I’ve lived in SF for a while and had family there too. I think your statements are not entirely correct.
- Important financial centre yes but not for Europeans.

I would disagree, at least with respect to venture capital/technology finance and banking. A huge number of European startups choose to relocate or open offices in the Bay Area. Many European governments have accelerators here, to say nothing of private sector accelerators.

From a banking point of view SFO is not even in the top 10 financial cities around the world. It’s an important financial center but not much more than Dubai is.

WHAT ! San Francisco is the second largest financial center in the United States, obviously it is bigger than Dubai!
The top 10 financial centers worldwide are:
1. London
2. New York
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
5. Tokyo
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Chicago
9. Zurich
10. Washington DC

MartijnNL

Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
Totally agree. Public transportation in the Bay Area is a joke for how many people live there.

Personally I think public transportation in the LAX area is a bigger joke. I visited SFO one month ago and took the BART for the first time. It left from the terminal and dropped me off in the city center. Not too bad.

ucdtim17

Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 pm

n471wn wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
n471wn wrote:
As a 41 year resident of the San Francisco Bay Area I was interested in your post about SFO. However, your statement that SFO is “one of the best airports in the United States” is laughable. It is simply one of the worst—just above Newark. You are right that it has lots of airlines and lots of destinations. But SFO is an operational nightmare and if on time and cancellations have any meaning to people then let me just state what we locals have long known: If you can fly out of Oakland or San Jose then do so. What a treat to fly non-stop to London, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Oslo, Paris, and soon Berlin out of Oakland. SFO is runway constrained due to the environmental anti-growth bunch and all the nice terminals cannot change the fact that when you go to SFO and expect your flight to leave on time you will be disappointed 40% of the time.

SFO has its operational difficulties relating to weather, to be sure. But facilities-wise, yes, it is one of the best airports in the country.

As for the anti-growth issues, these affect OAK as much as SFO.

No OAK is not impacted because they are doing fine with one runway and can become like Gatwick. If you live here then you know that when SFO is at 50% due to weather (usually fog) OAK and SJC are just fine.

Anti-growth forces do not impact OAK like SFO. OAK doesn't need any new runways; North Field can be used for arrivals if 12/30 ever becomes congested enough to warrant it (not likely in our lifetime). There's ample real estate for new terminal space when it's needed. There's already a direct BART connection and wide roads connecting the airport to 880.

ucdtim17

Mon May 21, 2018 8:46 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
On another note, I have done the BART transfer thing between airports and it is a nightmare, especially at OAK. Let alone the price gauging that goes on. Almost cheaper to just take an Uber across the Bay even for 1 person.

I wouldn't recommend planning a BART transfer between airports but it wouldn't normally be a "nightmare." It's a 75 minute train ride and $16. You can maybe get from OAK to downtown Oakland for $16 on uber but from airport to airport it's probably $50.

Edit: Uber fare estimator estimates $64-81 from SFO to OAK (now - not rush hour)

senatorflyer

Mon May 21, 2018 9:02 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

WHAT ! San Francisco is the second largest financial center in the United States, obviously it is bigger than Dubai!
1. London
2. New York
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
5. Tokyo
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Chicago
9. Zurich
10. Washington DC

I think your list is a bit outdated as well. Going by the GFC Index SFO just made back to the top ten this year. Change of rank was +9!

http://www.cityam.com/282918/london-rem ... vices-says

SonaSounds

Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
new observation deck

Wait, what?! An observation deck? In the United States? When? Where precisely? How?

Where is/was the old observation deck at SFO?

It is supposed to be outdoors above T2 near where the old ATCT was albeit a much lower height. You can read more about it here: http://travelskills.com/2017/03/14/sfo- ... -platform/

SonaSounds

Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
On another note, I have done the BART transfer thing between airports and it is a nightmare, especially at OAK. Let alone the price gauging that goes on. Almost cheaper to just take an Uber across the Bay even for 1 person.

I wouldn't recommend planning a BART transfer between airports but it wouldn't normally be a "nightmare." It's a 75 minute train ride and $16. You can maybe get from OAK to downtown Oakland for $16 on uber but from airport to airport it's probably $50.

Edit: Uber fare estimator estimates $64-81 from SFO to OAK (now - not rush hour)

Have you taken BART in the bay? It is broken down like half the time and always running delayed making the connection on BART from the SFO train to something that goes past OAK get screwed up. Then you have to get off and take the OAK airtrain which has been broken both times I had to do it and I had to take the old shuttle bus. Way easier to just expense an uber and call it a day

SonaSounds

Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Totally agree. Public transportation in the Bay Area is a joke for how many people live there.

Personally I think public transportation in the LAX area is a bigger joke. I visited SFO one month ago and took the BART for the first time. It left from the terminal and dropped me off in the city center. Not too bad.

BART is great for hopping downtown, but the BART system is just old in general and has constant delays. For a metropolitan area that size with that congestion you would think more money would be spent on a better transit system.

ucdtim17

Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

Have you taken BART in the bay? It is broken down like half the time and always running delayed making the connection on BART from the SFO train to something that goes past OAK get screwed up. Then you have to get off and take the OAK airtrain which has been broken both times I had to do it and I had to take the old shuttle bus. Way easier to just expense an uber and call it a day

I take it every week. It has problems like any other big city transit service but it is generally reliable. The trains usually come at approximately the time they're supposed to and generally drop you where you're going on time. I take the Oakland Airport Connector 1-2x/week and I've never had to take a bus because it wasn't running. That is not a common occurrence.

clrd4t8koff

Mon May 21, 2018 10:47 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

1. London
2. New York
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong
5. Tokyo
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Chicago
9. Zurich
10. Washington DC

San Francisco, Boston, Chicago and DC aren't in the top 10 financial centers. I was actually surprised when I looked it up as I thought San Fran and Boston for sure were, but not according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_centre

GoSharks

Tue May 22, 2018 3:37 am

Just want to add that international long haul is rarely delayed to a significant degree at SFO. Those run the highest priority.

FatCat

Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't think that IG will have scheduled flights anytime soon.
The sole A332 EI-GFX is doing charter flights between MXP and HAV by now.

Indeed, more flights to and from Italy can be appreciated.
From MXP surely.
I am surprised there is no flight to / from FCO, there wasn't a Norwegian flight?
Maybe VCE but only seasonally

But we cannot rely on AZ. Hopefully someone of US3s will make something. :-)

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 pm

San Francisco (SFO) continues to grow in the European market for this summer 2019, and three new LEVEL airlines, Air Italy, Norwegian, TAP Air Portugal and United add a new daily flight to Amsterdam (AMS). SFO is one of the most important hubs to connect in the Asia-Pacific region, will it soon become the hub of the west coast for Europe type LAX? My predictions for new routes in the future are:

Lot Polish (LO) - Warsaw (WAW)
Austrian Airlines (OS) - Vienna (VIE)
Eurowings (EW) - Dusseldorf (DUS)

What are your predictions in the European market for SFO

Summer flight schedule 2019

1. London Heathrow - 6 Daily Flights
Bristish Airways (Airbus A380-800, Boeing 747-400) 2 Daily
United (Boeing 777-200ER / -300ER) 2 Daily
Virgin Atlantic (Airbus A340-600, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner) 2 Daily

2. Frankfurt - 3 Daily Flights
Lufthansa (Airbus A380-800) Daily
United (Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner / -300ER) 2 Daily

3. Paris (Charles de Gaulle / Orly) - 3 Daily + 5 weekly frequencies
United (Boeing 777-200ER) Daily (CDG)
Air France (Airbus A380-800 , Boeing 777-300ER) 2 Daily (CDG)
French Bee (Airbus A350-900XWB) 3 weekly frequencies (ORY)
XL Airways France (Airbus A330-200) 2 weekly frequencies

4. Amsterdam - 2 Daily + 4 weekly frequencies
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (Boeing 747-400PAX, Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner) 11 weekly frequencies
United (Boeing 787-9) Daily

5. Copenhagen - 1 daily flight
Scandinavian Airlines (Airbus A340-300)

6. Munich - 2 daily flights
Lufthansa (Airbus A340-600) Daily
United (Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner) Daily

7. Zurich - 2 daily flights
Swiss (Boeing 777-300ER) Daily
United (Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner) Daily

8. Istanbul - 1 daily flight
Turkish Airlines (Boeing 777-300ER)

9. Dublin - 1 daily flight
Aer Lingus (Airbus A330-200/-300)

10. Helsinki - 3 weekly frequencies
Finnair (Airbus A350-900XWB)

11. Madrid - 3 weekly frequencies
Iberia (Airbus A330-200)

12. Manchester 3 weekly frequencies
Thomas Cook Airlines (Airbus A330-200) 3 weekly frequencies

13. Reykjavík-Keflavík 1 daily flight + 4 weekly frequencies
WOW Air (Airbus A330-200) Daily
Icelandair (Boeing 767-300ER) 4 weekly frequencies

14. Barcelona 3 weekly frequencies
LEVEL (Airbus A330-200)

15. Milan 4 weekly frequencies
Air Italy (Airbus A330-200)

16. London Gatwich 5 weekly frequencies
Norwegian (Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner)

17. Lisbon (frequencies not yet announced)
TAP Air Portugal (Airbus A330-900neo)

simpv

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:27 pm

It is pretty crazy expansion. Though I think AY announced 4x week service as well.

wedgetail737

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:06 am

LAX772LR wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
OAK - LGW has only 10 weekly frequencies, 3 weekly with British Airways and 7 with Norwegian, would be a total of 8 daily flights with 3 weekly frequencies

Not for long, as BA is soon suspending OAK (or at least making it seasonal).

You’re right...BA is discontinuing OAK-LGW (gone for good) and Norwegian is moving their operations (at least LGW) from OAK to SFO. Lastly, Level is moving their operations from OAK to SFO. I think OAK will eventually be left with no overseas flights before too long.

LAX772LR

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think OAK will eventually be left with no overseas flights before too long.

Wouldn't be the first time... nor second, nor (IINM) third.

OAK has however demonstrated that it can sustain at least some service; I'd be sorta surprised if it's left with absolutely nothing, even seasonally, so long as there isn't a major economic dip on either side.

That, and while DY will be moving LON flights (similar situation in MFW with FLL vs MIA), it hasn't shown any indication that it plans to do the same for its continental Euro services. Yet anyway.

MannyV

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:44 pm

According to the Portuguese forum TAP Air Portugal just confirm SFO 5x a week.

QuawerAir

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

simpv wrote:
It is pretty crazy expansion. Though I think AY announced 4x week service as well.

Yeah, AY will fly 4x weekly with Airbus A330 to SFO next summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos