Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aviano789
Topic Author

Can Mexicana Airlines Make a Viable Come back?

Thu May 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Some of you are old enough to remember the catchphrase “Who shot J.R” from the 1980 TV series Dallas. Last month, I flew down to Mexico City (MEX) to visit an old flight school buddie recovering from an auto accident. For a ride down memory lane from the 70s & 80s we decided to stop by Hector's Agavito Restaurant, an old watering hole and air crew hangout.

While having a few strait tequilas wash down by Dos Equis at the bar, we run into an old Mexicana Airlines B-727 left seat jockey, who seem to still hold a gauge against one Gringo in particular for Mexican Airlines demise. The Jockey highlighted the US court case (https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/ap ... 14/364701/) as evidence that a major conspiracy was hatched by a notorious bully Airline CEO,in the US in violation of long standing bilateral agreement to prevent Mexican Airlines from operating into and out of DFW to MEX- ACA and other tourist destinations in Mexico.

While there is documented evidence Mexico's oldest airline and one of the oldest continuously single-branded airlines (after KLM, Avianca and QANTAS cease operations on August 28, 2010 due to mismanagement, and according Mexican government sources major corruption, forcing most of its unemployed pilots group to seek jobs and/or better pay in the Philippines, Qatar, China and India, paying upwards of US $10,000 per month. Most angry Mexicans in the industry today still use the catchphrase “who shotdown Mexicana” Quién derribó a Mexicana”?
With that said do we see the real Mexicana making a viable come back?

tommyarias

Re: Can Mexicana Airlines Make a Viable Come back?

Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Technically Mexicana is still operating, just not flying. I imagine that in for them to be able to compete in the Mexican market, they would need to turn the short haul flights into LLC-style flights (To compete with Volaris, Interjet, Viva and Aeroméxico) but have full service in long haul ones with a hard product that can compete with all the legacy carriers flying into Mexico. I don't think it's impossible, but it wouldn't be easy.

Prost

Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I think they plan on joining the Pan Am/Braniff/Eastern Airlines alliance. They should become a powerhouse in the Western Hemisphere.

nine4nine

Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm

I was in MEX a little over a month ago transiting from T1 to T2. It was really cool walking thru T1 where they still have a Mexicana ticket counter with branding still up. The area is basically a Mexicana shrine that is accessible to the public. There is a large fenced off area with various era’s of MX branding plastered on signs and banners and tables where random stuff is sold. I was hoping for some MX memorabilia or model planes etc... but everything sold in the MX area was just random junk (toy cars, baby clothes, candy etc....)

Growing up in the early 80’s We went to Mexico about 3 times annually and always on MX. Was my favorite airline for many years and to this day the white gold and black livery is still my favorite all time of any airline.

I used to talk my way into the cockpit (pre 9/11) and ended up riding jumpseat on many MX flights for the entire flights. Those were the days.....

It would be amazing to see a rebirth of MX but with all the new LCC’s in Mexico and a now much larger AM I don’t see it happening :(
Last edited by nine4nine on Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aviano789
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm

tommyarias wrote:
Technically Mexicana is still operating, just not flying. I imagine that in for them to be able to compete in the Mexican market, they would need to turn the short haul flights into LLC-style flights (To compete with Volaris, Interjet, Viva and Aeroméxico) but have full service in long haul ones with a hard product that can compete with all the legacy carriers flying into Mexico. I don't think it's impossible, but it wouldn't be easy.

Most Mexico base carriers do have a major advantage against US base carries that operates into Mexico, But some hardly utilized that option which is cheaper fuel prices, and cheap labor cost in Mexico than the US. Even if some have to Tanker, its still cost effective, allowing them to sell out-bound and in-bound leg much cheaper than US Carriers.

KrustyTheKlown

Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

All that is left of Mexicana is their MRO and their brand, and frankly I don't see much value in their brand other than nostalgia.

DesertAir

Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I flew on Mexicana just before their shut down: Los Angeles to León. I remember when they flew into Guatemala with DC-10s. The Mexican domestic market is saturated with four dominate airlines. From what I understand they have a huge debt which needs to be paid before flying again: labor, airports, catering... They are a good example of how management can run a good airline into the ground.

santi319

Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm

And with what slots exactly?

Aviano789
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm

DesertAir wrote:
I flew on Mexicana just before their shut down: Los Angeles to León. I remember when they flew into Guatemala with DC-10s. The Mexican domestic market is saturated with four dominate airlines. From what I understand they have a huge debt which needs to be paid before flying again: labor, airports, catering... They are a good example of how management can run a good airline into the ground.

You forget to cite bad and corrupt management.

usflyer msp

Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 pm

The former MX staff need to be the like that girl from Frozen and let it go!

They should not still be at the airport protesting MX's demise many years later.

It sucks but they really need to move on with their lives...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos