tphuang
Topic Author

AA at JFK

Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 am

here is another article by Gary Leff on AA at JFK
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... n-failing/
He has the typical view that AA is failing in NYC.

But there are some interesting nuggets here.

The most interesting of which is AA/BA co-locating at LHR/JFK. Now, we had been speculating about BA moving into T8 with AA's reduced schedule out of JFK. But it really seems to be in the plans. I would guess IB also gets moved there too. Which would empty up T7 for B6's grand plan of taking over all of T6/T7. That to me is kind of significant.

Other thing mentioned was "The transcons do really really well for us as well, and the transcons not just to Los Angeles and San Francisco but some other points out West as well.". Which seems to imply they want to put premium transcon on other routes also. It's kind of surprising they haven't done that yet. Just looking at the numbers for Q4/Q1, SAN/SEA both saw pretty weak performance.

chepos

Re: AA at JFK

Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 am

It seems like we have an AA at JFK thread every few weeks on Anet.
Fly the Flag!!!!

asuflyer

Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 am

JFK-SEA is rumored to get a 32B or a 757. JFK-ZRH they lost because they lost accounts from UBS and Credit Suisse which guaranteed seat revenue on the flight, similar to the arrangement for LHR-RDU flight, The reason was that the 763 was so unreliable leading to frequent delays and they complained about a dated product and they had the lowest fares out of all the carriers on the route. BA is investing heavily in T7, 65 million I believe. They wouldn't go ahead and do that if they are going to move to T8 in the very near future. B6 Mint took away a fair amount of LAX and SFO pax and DL is more convenient for FF's, but there sure are still those who pay full fare first to LHR and LAX. Other than that the more DL/B6 and others grab AA's market share, the more they will retreat, unless someone in Dallas figures out how to truly compete in NYC.

FA9295

Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 am

asuflyer wrote:
JFK-SEA is rumored to get a 32B or a 757. JFK-ZRH they lost because they lost accounts from UBS and Credit Suisse which guaranteed seat revenue on the flight, similar to the arrangement for LHR-RDU flight, The reason was that the 763 was so unreliable leading to frequent delays and they complained about a dated product and they had the lowest fares out of all the carriers on the route. BA is investing heavily in T7, 65 million I believe. They wouldn't go ahead and do that if they are going to move to T8 in the very near future. B6 Mint took away a fair amount of LAX and SFO pax and DL is more convenient for FF's, but there sure are still those who pay full fare first to LHR and LAX. Other than that the more DL/B6 and others grab AA's market share, the more they will retreat, unless someone in Dallas figures out how to truly compete in NYC.

Why would JFK-SEA get an increase in capacity? I've heard a lot of rumors that AA is actually considering dropping that route. Very poor load factor, not keeping up with the competition against AS, B6, and DL...

Prost

Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 am

chepos wrote:
It seems like we have an AA at JFK thread every few weeks on Anet.

Just be grateful they don’t fly DC-9s.

ahj2000

Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am

FA9295 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Why would JFK-SEA get an increase in capacity? I've heard a lot of rumors that AA is actually considering dropping that route. Very poor load factor, not keeping up with the competition against AS, B6, and DL...

Who all have either the home town advantage or a better product.
It’s ann important route, so finding a way to be on it is probably importante to AA.
-Andrés Juánez

gsg013

Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Considering a just booked a one way Delta One seat a few weeks out for ~$650 one way the first class/business seats on LAX-JFK cant be that lucrative...

That being said there were also D1 flights on the same day where a one way flight was $2000 one way.

From what I have seen is the AA J seats around $600-800 and F around $1200-1300

Art at ISP

Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm

The $650 fare is probably a response to Jet Blue's Mint service which can sometimes be purchased for $599... They have been a game changer in the transcon market. I'd have no problem paying up to about $900 each way for a transcon in C.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos