DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Methamphetamine Indictments for DFW AA subsidary employees

Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 am

Federal authorities say 10 people who worked at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport used commercial flights to distribute methamphetamine that was flown to Arizona, New Jersey and elsewhere.

Authorities say starting in 2016, the group used their positions to bypass security and place the meth on flights.

They allegedly had 145 pounds of the drug transported to various domestic destinations.

The U.S. Attorney sought to reassure the public about the integrity of airport security.

“We’re working closely with the airlines affected, we’re working with DFW, we’re working with TSA, and others to ensure that we’re addressing whatever security measures were bypassed,” said Cox.

American Airlines released a statement following the arrest of Envoy Air employees:

“At American & Envoy Air, we have an unwavering commitment to the safety and security of our customers & team members. We take this matter very seriously & are cooperating with law enforcement.”

A spokesman at Spirit Airlines told CBS11, Spirit has been advised of this matter and will cooperate fully with law enforcement.

The indictment charges Nelson Pabon, 47, Jean Loui Vargas-Malave, 28, Juan Camacho Melendez, aka “Kendo Kaponi” and “Anthony,” 22, Ruben Benitez-Matienzo, 45, Jose Luis Gaston-Rolon, 24, Joshua Israel Pagan Zapata, 21, Domingo Villafane Martinez, III, 30, Luis Javier Collazo Rosado, aka “Luisito,” 21, Michael LNU, and Cristian David Cruz-Rodriguez, 23, with one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a schedule II controlled substance.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/15/airp ... ghts-meth/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

airportugal310

Re: Methamphetamine Indictments for DFW AA subsidary employees

Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 am

I suspect this sort of thing is more prevalent than most think, but at least they got some of the bad apples out
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 am

airportugal310 wrote:
I suspect this sort of thing is more prevalent than most think, but at least they got some of the bad apples out

Yes, I'm proud of the work of the FBI and the US Attorney's office in this case.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Philippine747

Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am

I’m quite curious how they got it into the airport in the first place. It’s not exactly the first time something like this has happened, and the TSA/DHS/FBI should’ve done something about it by now.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT72 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752 (M) B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4

7H4

Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 am

Philippine747 wrote:
I’m quite curious how they got it into the airport in the first place. It’s not exactly the first time something like this has happened, and the TSA/DHS/FBI should’ve done something about it by now.

I'm not sure how it is at DFW or other airports but at my airport airside employees go through basically no security with only very sporadic (maybe once or twice a month) backpack/purse checks. It amazes me that security is still that relaxed in 2018.
Any comments/claims/statements are my own and not those of my employer or anyone else.

Philippine747

Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm

7H4 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

I'm not sure how it is at DFW or other airports but at my airport airside employees go through basically no security with only very sporadic (maybe once or twice a month) backpack/purse checks. It amazes me that security is still that relaxed in 2018.

Indeed, it is surprising, especially in the post-9/11 world.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT72 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752 (M) B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

Elementalism

Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
7H4 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

This relates to the other thread about fake detectors. A lot of this is just theater designed to make us feel safe. As we stand in lines taking our shoes and belts off and allowing TSA to rummage through our belongings. Employees with actual access to critical systems within the airport and aircraft walk right on by.

kalvado

Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:
7H4 wrote:

This relates to the other thread about fake detectors. A lot of this is just theater designed to make us feel safe. As we stand in lines taking our shoes and belts off and allowing TSA to rummage through our belongings. Employees with actual access to critical systems within the airport and aircraft walk right on by.

Employee with actual access to critical airframe system doesn't need a box cutter or bottle of juice to cause harm. Can you imagine mechanic without a set of tools? Many of those tools will never make it through the TSA. Can you make it through TSA with a bottle of Jet-A? Hell, no. Fueler can get that with minimal effort. Pilots can actually crash an airliner just because - and there are some relatively recent examples.
So it has to be more about looking at people than their bags. Now low wage, hard manual labor ramp jobs do not attract most successful and honest people..

Sooner787

Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm

7H4 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

That's crazy.. few months back I had to pick up a package from a FedEx Ground depot and was amazed that employees went thru
metal detectors and back searches as they reported for work and as they left the premises. Watched this for 15-20 minutes
while they located my package.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
7H4 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

That's crazy.. few months back I had to pick up a package from a FedEx Ground depot and was amazed that employees went thru
metal detectors and back searches as they reported for work and as they left the premises. Watched this for 15-20 minutes
while they located my package.

I think that’s more about loss prevention than aviation security.

slider

Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Not uncommon, I'd wager, even in the 21st Century.

Used to be cocaine rings with old EA and TW that would mule drugs from MIA to JFK back in the day.

Philippine747

Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am

kalvado wrote:
Employee with actual access to critical airframe system doesn't need a box cutter or bottle of juice to cause harm. Can you imagine mechanic without a set of tools? Many of those tools will never make it through the TSA. Can you make it through TSA with a bottle of Jet-A? Hell, no. Fueler can get that with minimal effort. Pilots can actually crash an airliner just because - and there are some relatively recent examples.
So it has to be more about looking at people than their bags. Now low wage, hard manual labor ramp jobs do not attract most successful and honest people..

Wouldn't there be exemptions for critical parts and tools? And would the use of such items be tightly controlled?

Elementalism wrote:

Interesting? Do you have a link to the thread?

kalvado

Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

Philippine747 wrote:

Wouldn't there be exemptions for critical parts and tools? And would the use of such items be tightly controlled?

So who and how should control pilot's access to cockpit? And cockpit is where most critical parts and systems are located.
Or who, and how, should control every ramper loading bags in a hold?

OB1504

Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 pm

7H4 wrote:

It was like that at my previous airport but my current (major hub) airport requires employees to go through basically the same security as passengers with metal detectors and X-rays.

kalvado wrote:

Why would a fueler bring a bottle of Jet A through security?

Philippine747 wrote:

If tools and such are company property, I doubt an employee would be bringing them from home and have to take them through security.

kalvado

Sat May 19, 2018 6:17 pm

OB1504 wrote:
7H4 wrote:

That is exactly my point. You can perform a full strip and cavity search at entrance, but once on the ramp people have access to all sort of hazardous objects.

CanadianNorth

Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 pm

OB1504 wrote:

Philippine747 wrote:

If tools and such are company property, I doubt an employee would be bringing them from home and have to take them through security.

At least in my part of the world the vast majority of tools an aircraft mechanic uses are their own personal tools. Usually any tools that require regular calibration and/or are very specific to that aircraft type are provided by the company, but your every day wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. are the mechanic's personal tools that they have acquired on their own.

It would be difficult to control them tightly because every mechanic is going to have a slightly different collection, and each job is going to require a different selection of tools, and sometimes you don't know exactly which tools you'll need until you get to the airplane, so for any given call out the mechanics will probably bring an assortment that they think they might need for that particular call.

Even if the tools were tightly controlled there is still nothing stopping the mechanic from fixing a snag with the required tools, and then using the same tools to set up the airplane to crash. For example you might need to cut lock wire to remove the bolts to replace a part, and then you could in theory use those same cutters to cut 95% of the way through a control cable, so the plane would take off but one good bump and snap goes the cable. Plus, humans being humans, if it was a huge long process every time one needed to go get that one tool they forgot to bring then it's just that much more likely that they'll say screw it and come up with a "this'l do for now" solution instead of a proper as per the book repair.

Millions of possible scenarios really, and realistically every day thousands of "unsecure" aircraft mechanics all over the world maintain and repair thousands of airplanes without issue, so one can only really do so much before you're just getting in the way without actually making things safer.
HS-748, just like a 747 but better!

Philippine747

Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 am

kalvado wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

So who and how should control pilot's access to cockpit? And cockpit is where most critical parts and systems are located.
Or who, and how, should control every ramper loading bags in a hold?

kalvado wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
7H4 wrote:

That is exactly my point. You can perform a full strip and cavity search at entrance, but once on the ramp people have access to all sort of hazardous objects.

Wouldn't the airline/ground service provider be responsible for controlling access to aircraft and parts and conducting audits on parts inventory, etc. Then again, every airline has different SOPs.

twincommander

Sun May 20, 2018 11:04 am

OB1504 wrote:

Most mechanics have to provide their own tools for the job. and usually alot.

If we can't bring our tools, and the company wont provide them, there will be alot of broke airplanes pushed out into the grass.

Door4Right

Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm

That things like this happen is only a shock or surprise to those that have never worked within the aviation "security theater" apparatus.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos