Topic Author

JetBlue to Anchor new MCO Terminal

Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

And grow to over 100 flights.

Looks like they found their next growth city after BOS and FLL

OzarkD9S

Re: JetBlue to Anchor new MCO Terminal

Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Good, they need a new place to grow. And they'll beat WN to the punch if the want to beef up MCO-International.
Next Up: STL-DTW-PWM-LGA-STL in September. Gotta have a decent bowl or five of lobster bisque! :tongue2:

Clipper136

Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

KICT wrote:
Well, we know where AA will be parking.

where they are now, with maybe an extra 1 or 2 in the 30s wing
You can't beat the Experience.

MIflyer12

Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Good, they need a new place to grow. And they'll beat WN to the punch if the want to beef up MCO-International.

I don't think Southwest needs to look over its shoulder at JetBlue in Orlando.

As of Feb 21, 2018, Southwest will offer up to 186 departures a day to 54 cities:

That Orlando Sentinel article puts B6's departure count at 63 today.

tphuang

Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 am

B6 growing at MCO would be a lot harder than at FLL. Due to their recent complacency there, MCO's profitability imo has been declining. B6 basically has 3 major advantage over WN:
1) North East presence
2) Caribbean flying
3) transcon

Out of those 3, they already fly almost as much as they can to NorthEast. The Caribbean flying can be added, but it will always be a secondary hub to Latin America after FLL. And transcon is really low yielding out of MCO.

I can certainly see them adding 10 or 20 flights pretty easily. Anything beyond that, they are going to meet a lot of resistance from WN.

I think the greatest source of B6 growth after BOS/FLL is a JFK without slots.

mcogator

Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

As of Feb 21, 2018, Southwest will offer up to 186 departures a day to 54 cities:

https://orlandoairports.net/site/upload ... rtures.pdf

I posted this in the other thread, but the most recent release by MCO from May 2018 has WN at an average of 123 daily departures. Still almost double that of JetBlue, but much closer to the 100+ they are aiming for.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

tphuang

Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 pm

mcogator wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I posted this in the other thread, but the most recent release by MCO from May 2018 has WN at an average of 123 daily departures. Still almost double that of JetBlue, but much closer to the 100+ they are aiming for.

Number of departures for today:
WN 122
B6 63
DL 58
AA 49
UA 37
NK 36
F9 24

And you can see the domestic market share here
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... irport=MCO

This does understate the size of B6 at MCO a little bit, since they do have more international flights. And if they want to grow to over 100 flights a day, they will be pretty close in size to WN. Although, how to get there is a big question. WN can make it work because they have focus cities everywhere with people wanting to visit Orlando.

OzarkD9S

Thu May 17, 2018 1:01 pm

mcogator wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

OzarkD9S wrote:

I should have been more clear. B6 is poised to beat WN to the punch internationally from MCO. WN currently only flies to HAV and MBJ from MCO IIRC. With WN's short term international focus at FLL, its a good time for B6 to move in on MCO.
Next Up: STL-DTW-PWM-LGA-STL in September. Gotta have a decent bowl or five of lobster bisque! :tongue2:

STT757

Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm

The Orlando market is growing, in the last two years Universal has added two new hotels with a third (Aventura) set to open this August (for a total of six hotels). Universal also just added a new park, Volcano bay (which looks awesome).

Disney is greatly expanding a couple of hotels, and adding several new attractions including Star Wars Land which is going to correspond with the parks 50th anniversary.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

evank516

Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Wow I didn't realized B6 surpassed DL in terms of daily flights. I really have to wonder where the other 37 flights are going to come from though. Their route map doesn't have enough dots IMO.

Dominion301

Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm

For B6 to grow that much, would they at long last look at Canada? They could easily fill 1-3x daily from YYZ, YUL, YOW, YQB, YHM, YHZ in winter.

Do B6 do any seasonal destinations?

catiii

Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

tphuang wrote:
B6 growing at MCO would be a lot harder than at FLL. Due to their recent complacency there, MCO's profitability imo has been declining. B6 basically has 3 major advantage over WN:
1) North East presence
2) Caribbean flying
3) transcon

Out of those 3, they already fly almost as much as they can to NorthEast. The Caribbean flying can be added, but it will always be a secondary hub to Latin America after FLL. And transcon is really low yielding out of MCO.

I can certainly see them adding 10 or 20 flights pretty easily. Anything beyond that, they are going to meet a lot of resistance from WN.

I think the greatest source of B6 growth after BOS/FLL is a JFK without slots.

Add in a 4th advantage of a high value geography leisure base who is very loyal...

richierich

Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Is it me, or do the new South Terminal plans vaguely resemble JFK T5?
None shall pass!!!!

STT757

Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
For B6 to grow that much, would they at long last look at Canada? They could easily fill 1-3x daily from YYZ, YUL, YOW, YQB, YHM, YHZ in winter.

Most like not Canada, more likely Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and Northern South America.

Lima, Aruba, Providenciales, Punta Cana, Guatemala City, Panama City etc..

Also perhaps finally connecting MCO with FLL.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

MCIRNO

Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Maybe they'll add non-stops to
LGB
... :roll:

In all seriousness, they could connect dots with some of their western cities that do not have or have limited non-stops to
MCO
. Just recently, WN started a rash of non-stops to
MCO
from several northern California cities (SMF/OAK/SJC). Also, unlike WN (at least for now), B6 does lots of red-eyes to
JFK
BOS
, and
FLL
from some of those same cities, so why not add another layer to
MCO
?

flymco753

Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Corporate MCO travel is there, but on the spectrum tourism completely outweighs business. VFR only represents a small fraction too, however it's growing within Brazil and other parts of South America. Puerto Rico wouldn't necessarily count as VFR (I like to think of VFR as international) so SJU is domestic.

Think of what MCO would be like if the tourism boom didn't happen. It'd be Tampa 2.0.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

CobaltScar

Thu May 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Great news for B6 at MCO. Too bad its going to be three years waiting to see it happen.

mcogator

Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm

evank516 wrote:
Wow I didn't realized B6 surpassed DL in terms of daily flights. I really have to wonder where the other 37 flights are going to come from though. Their route map doesn't have enough dots IMO.

Yes, daily flights, but DL has a significantly more 13.2% in daily seats in May 2018.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

mcogator

Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 pm

STT757 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Most like not Canada, more likely Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and Northern South America.

If B6 does in fact add the A321LR to its fleet, I believe EZE is barely doable from MCO, and then SCL should be fine. Add in alll of Brazil and the rest of South America, and that adds many 1 stop destinations from the NE US transferring in the brand new south terminal.

MKIAZ

Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 pm

mcogator wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

If B6 does in fact add the A321LR to its fleet, I believe EZE is barely doable from MCO, and then SCL should be fine. Add in alll of Brazil and the rest of South America, and that adds many 1 stop destinations from the NE US transferring in the brand new south terminal.

If the 321LR can profitably reach EZE, I would think FLL-EZE, FLL-GRU, FLL-GIG would all come before any MCO-Deep SA routes.

len90

Fri May 18, 2018 1:34 am

The 321LR will be deployed primarily for BOS-Eastern Europe (should have the legs to do that) and then out of FLL.

The big goal at the south terminal is to allow B6 the room to grow. Right now at Airside 1 they are pretty restrained with a majority of their flights out 1-9 and occasionally seeing some overflow in the 20-29 wing. Frontier pretty much now has 10-19. Remember B6 started out with 2-3 gates in airside 2 and was only able to grow when Continental/United merged and opted out of airside 1 due to it being the oldest with the worst amenities. Now B6 will finally have a new fully modern area with the space to grow. I think they really only have the option to grow North of the border or West. It will definitely come with competition but I do also see them bringing a lot of their airside 1 international carriers with them and possibly even make it more like T5 at JFK.

WN made a move on the west coast with some new daily service. I think that was more of a move to thwart off Virgin America/Alaska. B6 if they venture to west coast will be competing against the two of them.
Len90

N757ST

Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 am

len90 wrote:
The 321LR will be deployed primarily for BOS-Eastern Europe (should have the legs to do that) and then out of FLL.

The big goal at the south terminal is to allow B6 the room to grow. Right now at Airside 1 they are pretty restrained with a majority of their flights out 1-9 and occasionally seeing some overflow in the 20-29 wing. Frontier pretty much now has 10-19. Remember B6 started out with 2-3 gates in airside 2 and was only able to grow when Continental/United merged and opted out of airside 1 due to it being the oldest with the worst amenities. Now B6 will finally have a new fully modern area with the space to grow. I think they really only have the option to grow North of the border or West. It will definitely come with competition but I do also see them bringing a lot of their airside 1 international carriers with them and possibly even make it more like T5 at JFK.

WN made a move on the west coast with some new daily service. I think that was more of a move to thwart off Virgin America/Alaska. B6 if they venture to west coast will be competing against the two of them.

I think you mean Western Europe.

tphuang

Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm

MKIAZ wrote:
mcogator wrote:
STT757 wrote:

If the 321LR can profitably reach EZE, I would think FLL-EZE, FLL-GRU, FLL-GIG would all come before any MCO-Deep SA routes.

len90 wrote:

I took a look at existing international flights for MCO right now. I think this will get a lot more international flights as part of any concerted expansion effort. Yes, FLL is better located for B6, but MCO has a couple of advantages.
1) B6 at FLL competes against AA/WN/NK for any local traffic internationally. There is no real domestic carrier with large international operation. WN is not making an effort in that front. It's routing everything through FLL. Neither are NK or any legacies. So they can angle to be the primary international carrier in MCO. It plays to their advantage internationally.
2) MCO and FLL/MIA top international destinations are not necessarily the same. It seems like MCO is relatively underserved to many Latin American locations compared to FLL/MIA
3) There are more space to expand at MCO with this new terminal. There seems to be a limit to how much B6 can expand at FLL.

Also, I really think B6 should consider adding YYZ/YUL at some point considering how much demand there is for FLL/MCO. Canadian snow birds/cruise ship/disney is a huge market. And there is no reason they can't capture some of that while also provide connection to south America. And at some point, they should add MCO-LGW if A321LR can make it. It's a little closer than FLL and maybe able to make it and that will also allow connection from london to South America.

WN added to OAK/SJC. F9 just recently dropped SFO. There is room for B6 to add SFO and PDX. For the latter, they can provide connection traffic also, which AS won't have as much (given SEA picks up most of that).

william

Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 pm

So who is now the "official airline of Disney World"? Still Delta?

INFINITI329

Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 am

tphuang wrote:
Also, I really think B6 should consider adding YYZ/YUL at some point considering how much demand there is for FLL/MCO.

There are no American carriers on any of those four routes. YYZ-MCO has four carriers flying it ...all Canadian. I definitely think there is room for an American carrier to come in to steal some of that market share, especially if their product is better than their Canadian counterparts.

musman9853

Sat May 19, 2018 1:51 pm

william wrote:

Delta hasn't sponsored Disney since 96. There's no official Disney airline now.

flymco753

Sat May 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I love how YYZ and YUL are must haves for B6 yet MCO-DTW is impossible.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

tphuang

Sat May 19, 2018 3:30 pm

flymco753 wrote:

If they are getting to 100+ flights, I'm sure DTW will be among the routes they add. But in order to get there, they should also look into the top international destinations out of MCO.

rbavfan

Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

Southwest concourse at MCO is the only one missing 1 of the three gate sections. They could expand it out and add 7 more gates. This could give them 27 of the 29 gates at airside 2. With B6 moving the remaining carriers could move to the old B6 gates giving southwest all 29 gates airside 2.

jeffh747

Sat May 19, 2018 3:44 pm

musman9853 wrote:
william wrote:

I’m like 95% certain that WestJet markets themselves as the official airline of Disney World. I’ve seen advertisements from them saying that, and they also have those stunning Disney logojets.

I think Alaska also markets themselves as the official airline of Disneyland, but I’m not sure about that one.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

727LOVER

Sat May 19, 2018 4:05 pm

I've heard about this terminal forever....when does it open?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

boxeebox

Sat May 19, 2018 4:52 pm

727LOVER wrote:

https://www.orlandoairports.net/getting ... l-complex/

rbavfan

Sat May 19, 2018 5:52 pm

mcogator wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Due to FAA requirements on all international flight EZE is out of range for the A321 LR from FLL.

jbpdx

Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm

There is room for B6 to add SFO and PDX.

JetBlue had the chance to add PDX-MCO a few years ago. Alaska beat them to it. Sun Country is now doing seasonal. B6 could also miss out on PDX-FLL if they procrastinate.
Next: AS PDX-MCI-PDX

musman9853

Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
william wrote:

I’m like 95% certain that WestJet markets themselves as the official airline of Disney World. I’ve seen advertisements from them saying that, and they also have those stunning Disney logojets.

I think Alaska also markets themselves as the official airline of Disneyland, but I’m not sure about that one.

yeah, they have special liveries and stuff but as i understand it its a marketing relationship, and not a true sponsorship since theres no ride at disney that westjet sponsors.

727LOVER

Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 pm

boxeebox wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Thanx

Sorry for the dumb question, but in the South APM section, it states

Parking Garage “C” is located on the South Entrance Road adjacent to the South APM Station and features 1,690 parking spaces and remote check-in facilities for Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest and United.

Google Maps is too old. Where is this in relation to the South Parking Lot (old RED lot) and the cell lot?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

boxeebox

Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Pardon my ignorance - only because I'm trying to learn airline networks - what constitutes a "missed opportunity" and "getting beat to a route"? Can jetBlue still open the route with Alaska already on it but succeed because of times, product offering, connections, etc?

sunking737

Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 pm

IIRC MCO also has B6 training operations (Pilot, F/A), plus Maintenance hanger.
Once a Duck, always a Duck, but finished up in the Country

KMCOFlyer

Sat May 19, 2018 9:52 pm

727LOVER wrote:
boxeebox wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Thanx

Sorry for the dumb question, but in the South APM section, it states

Parking Garage “C” is located on the South Entrance Road adjacent to the South APM Station and features 1,690 parking spaces and remote check-in facilities for Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest and United.

Google Maps is too old. Where is this in relation to the South Parking Lot (old RED lot) and the cell lot?

Google maps was just updated about a month ago and I can see the South APM facility and prep work for the new Terminal C in satellite mode. The current C Garage is located right next to the cell phone lot and across the street from the South Lot.

usxguy

Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 am

jeffh747 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
william wrote:

Alaska has probably the "tightest" relationship with Disney compared to other U.S. airlines. The logo jets, MAW flights, and the kids packs (snack box) are Disney branded.
xx

izbtmnhd

Sun May 20, 2018 3:09 pm

tphuang wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

If they are getting to 100+ flights, I'm sure DTW will be among the routes they add. But in order to get there, they should also look into the top international destinations out of MCO.

Not quite sure YYZ or YUL is a top international destination though. YYZ and YUL are more like domestic LCC bloodbath routes with exisiting service AC Rouge, Air Transat, etc.

I think DTW and CLE will get MCO before they start Canada.

tphuang

Sun May 20, 2018 5:56 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
tphuang wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Not quite sure YYZ or YUL is a top international destination though. YYZ and YUL are more like domestic LCC bloodbath routes with exisiting service AC Rouge, Air Transat, etc.

I think DTW and CLE will get MCO before they start Canada.

according to wikipedia, it is. I agree DTW/CLE is far more likely. In fact, they should start CLE-MCO before WN adds it and add a second daily CLE-FLL soon. I do think if they are going to pay the high taxes of flying to UK, then they should add YYZ/YUL at some point. YYZ is the second largest foreign market out of Boston, 1st in FLL and 2nd in MCO. Even though US point of sale is smaller than Canada, it still exists and a US carrier should try to capture that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos