Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bfitzflyer
Topic Author

DL to add new routes after agreement with ME3

Tue May 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Interesting article, although nothing specific. Seems like India NS from US might happen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/delta-m ... yptr=yahoo

FSDan

Re: DL to add new routes after agreement with ME3

Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm

I hope we see a return of nonstop JFK-BOM service, this time on the 359. If DL were to get back into India, I can't think of another route that would make more sense than this one. There's currently no competitor on JFK-BOM (although UA and AI both fly EWR-BOM), and with a strong 9W hub on the other end and a more efficient aircraft than last time, I think this route would have a good chance of working.

I'm not sure if it would make sense for DL to get back into ATL-DXB... I wouldn't be completely surprised to see it return, but I don't know why it would do any better than last time, especially now that QR is at ATL.

Besides those two, I'm not sure we'll see too much movement from DL to the Middle East and South Asia in the short term.

evank516

Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Okay Delta, put your money where your mouth is and walk the walk.

T773ER

Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Delta is hosting a employee rally May 24th in Atlanta with Ed Bastian Stating there will be some announcements at the event, so perhaps we'll find out then...

deltal1011man

Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Really want to see a flight to BOM and DEL to feed into the Jet hubs

I can't see DXB coming back. Nothing in the agreement does anything to fix the huge supply and tiny demand to DXB.

enilria

Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 pm

T773ER wrote:
Delta is hosting a employee rally May 24th in Atlanta with Ed Bastian Stating there will be some announcements at the event, so perhaps we'll find out then...
bfitzflyer wrote:
Interesting article, although nothing specific. Seems like India NS from US might happen.

Absolutely nothing changed with the economics of any route as a result of the agreement with the UAE. Just read the agreement. Either these routes were good before and are good now, or the reverse. Feeding the Jet hubs makes sense, but the deal with Jet is unrelated to the deal with UAE or Qatar as they could have done that deal or a similar deal with another Indian carrier at any point.

MIflyer12

Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:

I really though the Jet Airways scissors hubs with codeshares via LHR/CDG/AMS was Delta's plan for India.

Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

I believe it when I see it. Delta is NOT going to enter a ultra-long haul market (e.g. JFK-BOM) which is suffering from low yields.

T773ER

Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

enilria wrote:
T773ER wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Absolutely nothing changed with the economics of any route as a result of the agreement with the UAE. Just read the agreement. Either these routes were good before and are good now, or the reverse. Feeding the Jet hubs makes sense, but the deal with Jet is unrelated to the deal with UAE or Qatar as they could have done that deal or a similar deal with another Indian carrier at any point.

I agree, any new destination announced as a result of this agreement is PR related and a way to hand a "win" to those involved with the fight against the ME3. Whatever the motive though, It will be good to see Delta return to India

SESGDL

Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

T773ER wrote:
enilria wrote:
T773ER wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

I agree, any new destination announced as a result of this agreement is PR related and a way to hand a "win" to those involved with the fight against the ME3. Whatever the motive though, It will be good to see Delta return to India

DL doesn't have the aircraft to be adding any substantial long haul flying, their fleet is stretched to the max with the busy summer flying season and will only get worse as the widebody fleet is going to actually be shrinking short-term, not growing. I too will believe it when I see it.

Jeremy

deltal1011man

Tue May 15, 2018 3:06 pm

SESGDL wrote:
T773ER wrote:
enilria wrote:

DL doesn't have the aircraft to be adding any substantial long haul flying, their fleet is stretched to the max with the busy summer flying season and will only get worse as the widebody fleet is going to actually be shrinking short-term, not growing. I too will believe it when I see it.

Jeremy

For 2019 the ability to increase utilization on the 777 fleet and a few more 359 deliveries should give the m the slack to start a new route maybe two depending on where and when.

*all assuming they don't park any additional aircraft.

flymco753

Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 pm

ATL-DXB, ATL-BOM, ATL-DEL? JFK-AUH, JFK-CAI, JFK-AMM, JFK-RUH?

LAXdude1023

Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Why? The only thing that changed is the ME3 said they arent planning more routes via Europe.

MSPNWA

Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm

If they add a route because of this decision, it proves that the main reason they left that market was for political reasons. One can see right through their charade.

tphuang

Tue May 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Not going to happen imo. Also, ek has the nyc to India market locked down.

iyerhari

Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

tphuang wrote:
Not going to happen imo. Also, ek has the nyc to India market locked down.

Please also add AI and UA flights make it a tough one to compete. ATL maybe a good deal - possibility of DL to and from BOS-BOM? Relatively less crowded and still a decent Indian diaspora.

klm617

Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Let's see if Detroit gets some love or will it be snubbed yet again. Detroit India would be a good market for them. A350 is the perfect plane for Detroit India and the only Delta market left with no competition from the ME3 yet.

TransWorldOne

Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Yeah, right. Corporate speak. I'll believe it when I see it. If DL announces any new routes I am willing to bet it will be on a JV partner via LHR, CDG, or AMS. DL's latest strategy seems to be to outsource as much international flying as possible to JV partners and branding it as a "Delta flight".

dmstorm22

Tue May 15, 2018 3:56 pm

enilria wrote:
T773ER wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Yup, don't see how this now allows DL to grow their network to any good lenght in the Indian subcontinent.

It never made sense to begin with. DL cut JFK-BOM long before the ME3 were serious competitors. Right down the street they had EWR-BOM/DEL going on throughout that time to show that it is possible to compete non-stop to India with the ME3 one-stop offerings. For better or worse, DL decided to not re-start it.

Unless they think that EK and EY opening their books is going to mean that they have to get rid of all those subsidies they were getting (serious sarcasm face), this doesn't change the economics of their ability to run these routes with ME3 competition offering cheaper 1-stop alternatives.

MIflyer12

Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
T773ER wrote:

Jeremy

For 2019 the ability to increase utilization on the 777 fleet and a few more 359 deliveries should give the m the slack to start a new route maybe two depending on where and when.

There are 2 more 359s due this year, 2 in 2019, and 2 in 2020. The 339s don't start until 2020. What's the tempo of 763 retirements?

SumChristianus

Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 pm

India is such a large market, with incredible growth opportunities, they'll make it in somehow.
It just probably won't be as much of an entrance as some here would like (1 daily flight from JFK max), and I would assume it would be in partnership (JV?) with a carrier like Jet Airways.
It would absolutely be a PR victory for DL to return, but with their stretched fleet, and the low yields (if this is true?) of India/Middle East, it would be more of a strategic long term mission on the buisness side.

worldranger

Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Now that everyone is happy (not sure what US3 achieved)

Not saying it will happen tomorrow but who of the Majors would be the first to crack and enter codeshare with EK ex US?

I say UAL. IAD EWR ORD IAH SFO LAX. Fits like a glove.

deltal1011man

Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

There are 2 more 359s due this year, 2 in 2019, and 2 in 2020. The 339s don't start until 2020. What's the tempo of 763 retirements?

Just going of memory
1 or 2 more and nothing set in stone for next year.

Plus the two domestics at the end of the summer.

But the 777 fleet will have slack once mods are done. I'm not sure how doable JFK-India is but they might be able to make ATL-India on a 777 work, from a utilization stand point.

Of course saying all of that, Delta has options on things they can do. if they want to start India, lack of airplanes wont be why it doesn't happen.

LAX772LR

Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

iyerhari wrote:
possibility of DL to and from BOS-BOM?

Essentially zilch.

iyerhari wrote:
Relatively less crowded and still a decent Indian diaspora.

With hyper-low fares to match.

Looking at Google Flights, you can depart this weekend on a 2week BOS-BOM, for $883 roundtrip all-in, on multiple carriers; $3900 in J on UA, LH, and LX.

Thus, who is going to pay fares sufficient to sustain a 14hr nonstop, when they can already get prices like that just 3days out??

By comparison, the cheapest BOS-LHR option for the same days are $958 in Y, and $5767 in J... for a flight half the distance!

YouGeeElWhy

Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 pm

BOM and DEL are fine, but the US3 and AC are they best suited to fly to nonstop secondary cities in India. How much total traffic is going from the US/Canada to BLR/HYD/MAA? I do not know the exact answer, but I know it is a lot. More than a few plane loads to each of those cities each day. They could get a revenue premium too flying direct to BLR/HYD/MAA that they would not see at BOM or DEL. There would never be competition from Indian carriers as they will always route US traffic via their mega hubs at BOM/DEL.

Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Looking at Google Flights, you can depart this weekend on a 2week BOS-BOM, for $883 roundtrip all-in, on multiple carriers; $3900 in J on UA, LH, and LX.

Thus, who is going to pay fares sufficient to sustain a 14hr nonstop, when they can already get prices like that just 3days out??

By comparison, the cheapest BOS-LHR option for the same days are $958 in Y, and $5767 in J... for a flight half the distance!

WOW Air has an introductory fare of $199 BOS-DEL ($398 r/t).

:shock:
Last edited by 737307 on Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runway28L

Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm

FSDan wrote:
I hope we see a return of nonstop JFK-BOM service, this time on the 359.

Agreed, but I think a 77L would be the aircraft of choice... especially now that they are being reconfigured to the new Delta One product.

777Mech

Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Although I don't think India is in the cards, but if they do, why wouldn't they restart AMS-BOM?

I just think India is too low yielding considering stage length and the amount of frames required. There are bigger fish to fry with the JV heating up with KE.

LAX772LR

Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Thus, who is going to pay fares sufficient to sustain a 14hr nonstop, when they can already get prices like that just 3days out?? /quote]

Yikes! :eek:

Their fare didn't even show up, as I only looked 3days out. But yeah, even more to the point, if they're going to suppress yields like that.

RobertS975

Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm

The other approach for DL that could have a future is service from focus cities like BOS to BOM/DEL with partner connecting service from there. A flight like this could be in addition to service from JFK/DTW/ATL

LAX772LR

Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
The other approach for DL that could have a future is service from focus cities like BOS to BOM/DEL with partner connecting service from there.

As demonstrated by the fares above, there's going to be icicles on Satan's underwear before DL launches Boston-India...

...especially since a journey like that is the whole reason they've set up the AMS/CDG scissor hubs for.

LAXdude1023

Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
India is such a large market, with incredible growth opportunities, they'll make it in somehow.
It just probably won't be as much of an entrance as some here would like (1 daily flight from JFK max), and I would assume it would be in partnership (JV?) with a carrier like Jet Airways.
It would absolutely be a PR victory for DL to return, but with their stretched fleet, and the low yields (if this is true?) of India/Middle East, it would be more of a strategic long term mission on the buisness side.

A PR victory yes, but at what cost? Any carrier that enters India nonstop from the US at this stage is going to lose their shirt. The only major business markets are New York and the Bay Area and they already have nonstop flights. You have large India VFR centers like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, LA, and DC but I dont think any of the US3 can make one penny flying there.

Id even be surprised if UA was making any money in India personally. The fares are ridiculously low.

jayunited

Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm

flymco753 wrote:
ATL-DXB, ATL-BOM, ATL-DEL? JFK-AUH, JFK-CAI, JFK-AMM, JFK-RUH?

I'm almost positive most if not all of these routes will not happen and the reason is nothing has changed after reading the agreement it seems as if the US3 got nothing except they get to see the books of the ME3. The current 5th freedom routes will stay no additional routes are planned but aside from that nothing has changed. Even UA on Flying Together is praising this agreement say it levels the playing field by allowing US airline to compete more fairly, however the US3 still can't compete against the ME3 on price. The ME3 are still able to offer real cheap seats in all classes of service whereas the US3 because of our higher cost structure can't compete. I don't see DL adding the routes you've mentioned even with the fuel efficient A350 DL, UA, AA will still struggle to compete do to our higher costs compared to the ME3.

iyerhari

Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:
The other approach for DL that could have a future is service from focus cities like BOS to BOM/DEL with partner connecting service from there.

As demonstrated by the fares above, there's going to be icicles on Satan's underwear before DL launches Boston-India...

...especially since a journey like that is the whole reason they've set up the AMS/CDG scissor hubs for.

Ha-ha. Thanks LAX772LR for the prior response. It would not make much of money for DL unless the station was such a massive O&D station with significant Indian diaspora or a massive fortress hub that could make it work.

IMO, the Indian stations are fairly getting saturated from the States such as JFK, EWR, IAD, SFO, ORD and possibly LAX in the future - I also read somewhere AI is interested of starting DFW/IAH. There is also massive competition from EK and QR. EK benefits significantly from B6 codeshare and I remember seeing flights from PIT that were full of India connections.

DeSpringbokke

Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm

This is related but not exactly on topic. With Delta replacing the 77L with the A350-900 on ATL-NRT, like anyone here finds that surprising, Delta could very well launch another ULH 77L flight next year. Right now, only ATL-JNB/PVG and LAX-SYD are slated as 77L flights past March 31. Alternating LAX-AMS/CDG are are scheduled to operate using the 77L but since the alternating pair and LAX-HND are going 242 tonne A330-300 in September, I’m sceptical as to whether Delta will switch equipment.

SumChristianus

Tue May 15, 2018 5:49 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

A PR victory yes, but at what cost? Any carrier that enters India nonstop from the US at this stage is going to lose their shirt. The only major business markets are New York and the Bay Area and they already have nonstop flights. You have large India VFR centers like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, LA, and DC but I dont think any of the US3 can make one penny flying there.

Id even be surprised if UA was making any money in India personally. The fares are ridiculously low.

Yes, they've tried and pulled out multiple times....and would lose money compared to adding say a 5th daily DTW-AMS
Maybe the announcement will be a JFK-AMS-BOM flight or something (AMS-BOM operated by KLM) (Fine Print) :D

klm617

Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

EddieDude wrote:
The tie-up with 9W (and KL-AF), together with this comment by the CEO makes me believe that we might see a BOM-JFK or DEL-JFK flight soon, either operated by DL itself with a 77L, or by 9W with a 77W. When is 9W supposed to start receiving the 789s? 2020? I recall that the order was first upgraded from the -8 to the -9 and then it was deferred.

I don't know why everyone keeps insisting that JFK would come first there is no premium traffic to be had there if anything they would go to ATL before JFK when they only have to contend with QR at JFK there are a multitude of completers leaving Delta with the junk yields or empty planes at the fares they charge.

EddieDude

Tue May 15, 2018 6:23 pm

The tie-up with 9W (and KL-AF), together with this comment by the CEO makes me believe that we might see a BOM-JFK or DEL-JFK flight soon, either operated by DL itself with a 77L, or by 9W with a 77W. When is 9W supposed to start receiving the 789s? 2020? I recall that the order was first upgraded from the -8 to the -9 and then it was deferred.

enilria

Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Why? The only thing that changed is the ME3 said they arent planning more routes via Europe.

Delta makes it sound like they said they would not add more 5th Freedoms. That's not what the agreement says. It says they have no current plans to add more 5th Freedom routes. No difference between that and Delta saying we have no plans to add Boston-DFW at this time. So, that did not change. EK had no public plans to add more 5th Freedoms.
Last edited by enilria on Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

enilria

Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

:shock:

But, to be fair, WOW is subsidized by...(wait thinking of something, uhhhhh...) Icelandic North Sea oil money!!!! How about that? That sounds good.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

US-India is very long and low yielding. The ME3 and soon WOW in the market, the economics will be worse than the last time delta tried it. I just don't see delta making a ton of money in that sector.

Wow I think has almost endless potential on North america-india, delta I think has very little real potential to make money.

MIflyer12

Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

klm617 wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

I don't know why everyone keeps insisting that JFK would come first there is no premium traffic to be had there if anything they would go to ATL before JFK when they only have to contend with QR at JFK there are a multitude of completers leaving Delta with the junk yields or empty planes at the fares they charge.

Why? NYC is the largest air market in the country. It's the largest international air market in the country. ATL - adding 500 miles to what is already a ULH flight - doubt it. DTW? Hah ha ha - cut O&D by 90% - yeh, that's a great move. Metro Detroit doesn't even make the top 12 U.S. metro areas for ethnic Indian population.

dtw2hyd

Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

ULH to India is not a winning proposition for a US carrier, particularly DL which expects higher margins.

There are other ways to make money without lifting a finger. 9W/KL can expand their India network. SkyTeam has non-stops to 35 North American cities, no one can match.

Or now the feud is over code share with ME3 and get pass-thru revenue with existing network capacity.

Goal should be to earn more revenue not to hard work.

x1234

Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm

I find it interesting that DL can make East Asia work (China, Japan, S. Korea, Singapore, Philippines) but not South Asia (India). I heard that East Asia yields are higher than South Asia too. Is that true!?

klm617

Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm

x1234 wrote:
I find it interesting that DL can make East Asia work (China, Japan, S. Korea, Singapore, Philippines) but not South Asia (India). I heard that East Asia yields are higher than South Asia too. Is that true!?

Let's face it Delta is really not as successful as people think in Asia they are a distant 3rd as far as the US3 are concerned

lavalampluva

Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

DL used to have a flight from the US to BOM via AMS. I think it lasted for a while and then disappeared. Have things changed that much for them to re-add it back into the system?

airbazar

Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 pm

enilria wrote:
T773ER wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

I'll go even further and say that calling a "deal" is overreaching. Absolutely nothing changed other than the ME3 promising to open up the books even more than they had already done, which basically means DL and the rest of the U.S. carriers will have absolutely no reason to cry for when they find out that EK was never getting any subsidies. Then what? EK and the ME3 can still start any 5th freedom routes if they chose to do so.

Jayafe

Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 pm

evank516 wrote:
Okay Delta, put your money where your mouth is and walk the walk.

And get a top up bunch of A359s to support the move :crossfingers:

klakzky123

Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
DL used to have a flight from the US to BOM via AMS. I think it lasted for a while and then disappeared. Have things changed that much for them to re-add it back into the system?

The AMS connection makes little sense today. They have Jet Airways, Air France and KLM to provide the connecting flights from Europe to India. Now a direct flight from JFK might be an option at some point. UA seems to do ok on their EWR routes to India. Maybe when more A350s are available, we might see a direct flight to India on Delta.

LAX772LR

Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
DL used to have a flight from the US to BOM via AMS.

They have a lot more exposure to India than that.

DL has flown its own metal on FRA-BOM, CDG-BOM, CDG-MAA, JFK-BOM, ATL-BOM, and AMS-BOM.

...all having operated during the '00s or beyond.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos