Zoedyn
Topic Author

A Sichuan Airlines’ Lhasa-bound flight from CKG made emergency landing at CTU after cockpit window broke

Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 am

Per the latest Chinese report, a Sichuan Airlines flight 3U8633 operated by an A319 on its way from Chongqing to Lhasa made an emergency landing at CTU at 07:42 this morning (local time), following the sudden break of a cockpit window by the co-pilot’s side when overflying Chengdu. More than one crew member are said to be injured

That was so lucky for the flight overflying Chengdu, instead of the World's Roof, when emergency hit

http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2018-05-14/do ... 5605.shtml
Last edited by Zoedyn on Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

edu2703

Re: A Sichuan Airlines’ Lhasa-bound flight from CKG made emergency landing at CTU after cockpit window broke

Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 am

Last edited by edu2703 on Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

cvgComair

Re: A Sichuan Airlines’ Lhasa-bound flight from CKG made emergency landing at CTU after cockpit window broke

Mon May 14, 2018 2:48 am

Wow, the cockpit looks to be in rough condition! I hope the crew, especially the copilot, is okay as that looks like a lot of force. Agreed, that could not have happened in a better place.
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

AirKevin

Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 am

That definitely looks like more than just window damage to me. Wonder how that happened.
Captain Kevin

HarryLi

Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am

More details and clear pictures please click this link to see (English Version Introduction) :

http://aeronauticsonline.com/sichuan-airlines-cockpit-glass-fell-in-the-air/

There is another similar accident happened before.
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

c933103

Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 am

According to report, because of the terrain below the aircraft when the accident occur, the aircraft continued to cruise at 8000 meters for about 10 minutes after the accident occur.

Planeflyer

Mon May 14, 2018 4:59 am

What are the procedures to deal with an event like this ?

LoganTheBogan

Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 am

Planeflyer wrote:
What are the procedures to deal with an event like this ?

I wonder if there are any. I'm 99.99% sure test pilots don't practice scenarios where the windshield is gone, half their cockpit is torn up with 300km/h winds in their face. I'm leaning towards pilot skill and quick thinking.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

JeremyXWB

Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 am

BA 5390 vibes, anyone?

HarryLi

Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 am

JeremyXWB wrote:
BA 5390 vibes, anyone?

The situation is almost the same. But fortunately, this time the pilots of 3U had their seatbelts fastened.
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

OA940

Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 am

Ouch! Did all the avionics go out or just some?
A350/CSeries = bae

HarryLi

Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 am

OA940 wrote:
Ouch! Did all the avionics go out or just some?

Not all but most of them, including some major avionics. :shock:

TWA302

Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 pm

edu2703 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TACGAirSafety/status/996007955333111808

Alleged video from the plane

That windscreen looks like it has some serious energy going through it. What causes that?

zeke

Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm

There are heater elements in the windshields of all airlines
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

JetBuddy

Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

edu2703 wrote:

I believe that's another incident.

In the original photo it looks like the autoflight panel nearly got sucked out of the window together with most of the F/O side glare shield. Good crew being able to take control and land the aircraft safely.

flyingclrs727

Mon May 14, 2018 3:07 pm

The pictures from the video link are astounding. Parts of the avionics were sucked out of the plane.

https://youtu.be/9wcEnVuZrGc

sergegva

Mon May 14, 2018 4:00 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
The pictures from the video link are astounding. Parts of the avionics were sucked out of the plane.

https://youtu.be/9wcEnVuZrGc

It's the exact same picture as in the second message of this topic.

blackbox67

Mon May 14, 2018 4:33 pm

edu2703 wrote:

Doubtful this was the incident flight we're talking about here. Engine noise reminds me more of an ATR/Dash8 class of aircraft. 2ndly the aircraft seems the point from a darker sky to a brighter horizon whereas at the time of the incident it was about 07:20L in the morning. Given the aircraft was on a westerly course, you should expect the sunrise behind the tail.

luchtzak

Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Copilots clothes ...

Swim - bike - run - finish! And a flight attendant ;-)

Loew

Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 pm

This is a major incident. Interestingly I always thought that cockpit windows are plug in type, preventing such incident from occuring.

cbphoto

Mon May 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Wonder if the windshield was replaced recently and if the window didn’t cure long enough, or had a bad cure on it? Interesting non the less and glad the FO survived.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

JetBuddy

Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

luchtzak wrote:
Copilots clothes ...

Wow, some strong forces in play there. The damages to his clothes almost look cartoonish. Just frills.

c933103

Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 pm

blackbox67 wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

Doubtful this was the incident flight we're talking about here. Engine noise reminds me more of an ATR/Dash8 class of aircraft. 2ndly the aircraft seems the point from a darker sky to a brighter horizon whereas at the time of the incident it was about 07:20L in the morning. Given the aircraft was on a westerly course, you should expect the sunrise behind the tail.

Well the aircraft turned east after the incident occur. Also the Mean Solar Time of Chengdu is something like UTC+06:56 while the timezone is UTC+8 so there's an hour difference between the solar time, although it would still be more than an hour after sunrise

Q

Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 am

China copilot is lucky still attached his seat belt. I remembered BEA Bac 1-11 captain pulled out of window co pilot grabbed captain's legs hold and called to help FA grabbed his legs and while co pilot landing emergency. Captain is suffered injured for a few days in hospital in late 1970's.

Q

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 6:02 am

Here is a more detailed report of the incident 川航20分钟奇迹备降 副驾驶:短袖上衣长裤都被撕碎Sichuan Airlines' miraculous 20-minute landing.
Let's get a closer look at what Mr Liu Chuanjian, captain of Flight 3U8633 in an interview by local media Huaxi Daily, got to say as the key figure during the whole incident

在成都市第一人民医院,记者也见到了3U8633航班机长刘传健,他用一句话来形容这次遭遇:“很罕见,极其罕见。”
据他介绍,早上6点过,当飞机距离成都100-150公里左右时,没有任何征兆,一声巨响,驾驶舱右前方的玻璃就爆裂了,“副驾驶当时就被‘吸’了出去,半个身子都在外面。”

Mr Liu described the experience as "extremely rare". He said that, just past 6:00 early in the morning when the aircraft was approximately 100-150 km away from downtown Chengdu, there was within the cockpit a sudden huge bang without any ill omen in advance and the windshield glass on the right front side just broke off, and the co-copilot got sucked out immediately, with half his body outside the window

在玻璃爆裂后,驾驶舱内很快发生了失压,很多物品都飞了起来,很多自动化设备出现故障,噪音非常大,仪表盘也看不清楚。
“当时飞机的时速超过800公里,又在万米高空,空气非常稀薄,最严重的还是失压问题。”他说,失压会给驾驶员的身体造成很大伤害,首先是耳膜,然后温度会骤然下降到零下四十摄氏度,人体很快就会被冻伤。

After the windshield glass broke, there was immediately decompression within the cockpit, many articles started flying around, many automated devices were malfunctioning, with huge noise around, and the instrument panel just couldn't be seen clearly

The aircraft was traveling at a speed of over 800 km/h, at an altitude of 10,000 meters, where the air was very thin. Worst of all was the decompression issue, which could severely hurt the body of a pilot, primarily the eardrum. Then the temperature in the cockpit would drastically drop down to -40 degrees celsius, and cause frost-induced damage to the body very shortly

“在发生爆裂后,我脑子里,只有一个想法,就是尽力操纵飞机,安全备降。”他说。
在飞机诸多自动化设备失灵以后,刘传健和副驾驶徐瑞辰只能依靠手动操纵飞机,甚至有段时间与地面失去了联系。好在发生故障后,机组第一时间向地面发出了“7700”的信号,表示遇到紧急情况,需要帮助。
“自动化设备失灵,给操纵飞机带来了巨大的困难,不过我飞行超过20年,这条航线也很熟悉。”刘传健说,对于这种紧急情况,川航平时也组织过严密的训练,正是有了平时的训练,才能让他在危急关头,能够冷静处理危机。

"After the windshield broke, I got only one thought in my head, that was to try my uttermost to operate the aircraft and get it ready to a safe landing"

Following the failure of many automated devices, Mr Liu and the co-pilot Mr Xu Ruichen had to operate the aircraft by switching to the manual control mode, even losing contact with the ground for awhile

"Failure of the automated devices led to enormous difficulty in my operating the aircraft. But I've been flying for more than 20 years, and this flight route has been very familiar to me, " Liu said. For emergencies of this kind, Sichuan Airlines has organized stringent training and drills for its pilots during normal times. It was owing to such training and drills that helped him to cope with the emergency by keeping a cool head at a critical juncture

Mr Liu stressed that he would like to express his special thanks to the whole 9-member cabin crew including the co-pilots and flight attendants, for their concerted efforts to ensure the safety of all passengers aboard and the successful landing of the aircraft

Captain (the man in the middle) Mr Liu Chuanjian and other flight crew for #3U8633

The incident is under further investigation by Chinese aviation authorities

GDB

Tue May 15, 2018 8:11 am

Q wrote:
China copilot is lucky still attached his seat belt. I remembered BEA Bac 1-11 captain pulled out of window co pilot grabbed captain's legs hold and called to help FA grabbed his legs and while co pilot landing emergency. Captain is suffered injured for a few days in hospital in late 1970's.

Q

The BA incident happened in 1990.

JetBuddy

Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
Here is a more detailed report of the incident 川航20分钟奇迹备降 副驾驶:短袖上衣长裤都被撕碎Sichuan Airlines' miraculous 20-minute landing.
Let's get a closer look at what Mr Liu Chuanjian, captain of Flight 3U8633 in an interview by local media Huaxi Daily, got to say as the key figure during the whole incident

Mr Liu described the experience as "extremely rare". He said that, just past 6:00 early in the morning when the aircraft was approximately 100-150 km away from downtown Chengdu, there was within the cockpit a sudden huge bang without any ill omen in advance and the windshield glass on the right front side just broke off, and the co-copilot got sucked out immediately, with half his body outside the window

After the windshield glass broke, there was immediately decompression within the cockpit, many articles started flying around, many automated devices were malfunctioning, with huge noise around, and the instrument panel just couldn't be seen clearly

The aircraft was traveling at a speed of over 800 km/h, at an altitude of 10,000 meters, where the air was very thin. Worst of all was the decompression issue, which could severely hurt the body of a pilot, primarily the eardrum. Then the temperature in the cockpit would drastically drop down to -40 degrees celsius, and cause frost-induced damage to the body very shortly

"After the windshield broke, I got only one thought in my head, that was to try my uttermost to operate the aircraft and get it ready to a safe landing"

Following the failure of many automated devices, Mr Liu and the co-pilot Mr Xu Ruichen had to operate the aircraft by switching to the manual control mode, even losing contact with the ground for awhile

"Failure of the automated devices led to enormous difficulty in my operating the aircraft. But I've been flying for more than 20 years, and this flight route has been very familiar to me, " Liu said. For emergencies of this kind, Sichuan Airlines has organized stringent training and drills for its pilots during normal times. It was owing to such training and drills that helped him to cope with the emergency by keeping a cool head at a critical juncture

Mr Liu stressed that he would like to express his special thanks to the whole 9-member cabin crew including the co-pilots and flight attendants, for their concerted efforts to ensure the safety of all passengers aboard and the successful landing of the aircraft

Captain (the man in the middle) Mr Liu Chuanjian and other flight crew for #3U8633

The incident is under further investigation by Chinese aviation authorities

Wow, that's an interesting account for what happened Zoedyn. This was a really extreme situation.

This thread should be of interest to a lot of people, but it seems like a lot of forum members don't know what has happened. I wonder if it's the long thread title, or that it happened in China and not in the West. (I'm not criticizing).

AF1624

Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 pm

It'll be interesting to see what transpired as the pilots seem to be saying there was no way to see it coming, and another report says the window was showing no sign of wear and tear. The consequences of the analysis may have quite wide ranging impact since this is obviously a very common aircraft.
Cheers

D L X

Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

edu2703 wrote:

Wow! Looking at the knocked out instrument panel you realize this could have gone a LOT worse. Very impressive that they got the plane down with no one hurt.

SamYeager2016

Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Interesting to compare:

Zoedyn wrote:

with this from Avherald:

The airline citing the CAAC Southwest Regional Administration subsequently released an event bulletin summarizing preliminary investigation results suggesting, that the aircraft was enroute at 9800 meters at 0.74-0.75 mach when the right hand windshield developed cracks, the crew received an ECAM message regarding the windshield heating soon followed by the windshield bursting.

estorilm

Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm

SamYeager2016 wrote:
Interesting to compare:

Zoedyn wrote:

with this from Avherald:

The airline citing the CAAC Southwest Regional Administration subsequently released an event bulletin summarizing preliminary investigation results suggesting, that the aircraft was enroute at 9800 meters at 0.74-0.75 mach when the right hand windshield developed cracks, the crew received an ECAM message regarding the windshield heating soon followed by the windshield bursting.

I'm assuming that the ECAM message was triggered by a loss of continuity / resistance in the heater circuits for the windshield, DUE TO the cracks? Some may infer that it was some heater element malfunction which caused the cracks. ;)

LXJ

Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

According to Chinese news source linked below, the window was the original part from Airbus. It did not have any fault history or replaced previously. The Airbus 319 joined 3U in 2011.

Wondering if Airbus was at fault here...

http://jingji.cctv.com/m/a/index.shtml? ... 72Ah180515

hivue

Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 pm

LXJ wrote:

Welcome to the forum. You'll get on better here if you avoid rash accusations with no evidence to back them up.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

7673mech

Tue May 15, 2018 6:19 pm

LXJ wrote:
According to Chinese news source linked below, the window was the original part from Airbus. It did not have any fault history or replaced previously. The Airbus 319 joined 3U in 2011.

Don't see how they could be at fault?
Window under goes stress each flight.
While certainly the original window it's probably been out once or twice for window frame inspection - they are reusable.

Balerit

Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 pm

This usually happens when a cockpit window is changed and the torquing sequence isn't followed strictly according to the maintenance manual. Seen it happen once with my own eyes.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

LXJ

Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm

7673mech wrote:
LXJ wrote:

While certainly the original window it's probably been out once or twice for window frame inspection - they are reusable.

“也未进行过任何维修和更换工作。”

This quote from the article states “[the windshield] has never undergone any maintenance or replacement work”

My understanding was the windshield was never been removed previously and was in the original status as it was assembled by Airbus. And as mentioned in my previous post, it had no fault history either according to the article.

That’s why I was wondering if Airbus could be at fault here.

kjeld0d

Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

hivue wrote:
LXJ wrote:

Welcome to the forum. You'll get on better here if you avoid rash accusations with no evidence to back them up.

ac·cu·sa·tion
ˌakyəˈzāSH(ə)n
noun
a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong.

An accusation would be "Airbus was at fault here". He said, "Wondering if Airbus was at fault here"...

won·der
ˈwəndər
verb
gerund or present participle: wondering
desire or be curious to know something.

He desired or was curious to know if Airbus was at fault.

You'll get better on here if you improve your understanding of the English language.

United787

Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you kjeld0d, well said!

There seems to be some conflicting information. Was the co-pilot partially sucked out or did he assist in operating the aircraft after the system failures... or did he do both.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 15, 2018 11:21 pm

United787 wrote:
Thank you kjeld0d, well said!

There seems to be some conflicting information. Was the co-pilot partially sucked out or did he assist in operating the aircraft after the system failures... or did he do both.

The co-pilot was partially sucked out, "hanging halfway up", only to be held back by the seatbelt. I believe the captain pull him back in after that (?).

As for the second part - it's really hard to say. The captain (Liu) was definitely the person in control of the plane, but he gave credit to his injured co-pilot (Xu, the F/O), along with the cabin crew, for the concerted work.

As for the flight - I almost want to say they're also lucky that the event happen when they are just starting to fly into the (very) mountainous region not far from CTU. Even 15-20 mins further west would put them in literally no man's land. Much kudos to the captain (and the rest of the crew, the cabin crew kept their calm and also calmed the passengers at the same time).

Q

Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 am

GDB wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

The BA incident happened in 1990.

Yes you were right. My mistake. I forgot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_A ... light_5390

Q

Max Q

Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 am

I must be missing something

Nothing has been said about the FO’s condition, is he okay ? I’d expect major injuries or worse

My other question is which Airbus production facility was this aircraft built in, Hamburg or in China itself?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

D L X

Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 am

Max Q wrote:

Nothing has been said about the FO’s condition, is he okay ? I’d expect major injuries or worse

My other question is which Airbus production facility was this aircraft built in, Hamburg or in China itself?

Sprained wrist I think.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 16, 2018 3:42 am

Max Q wrote:

The F/O suffered scratches and sprained wrist, but is otherwise doing ok.

2nd and 3rd picture show the F/O in hospital: (The one after that is a flight attendent that was injured at the beginning of the descent)
https://photo.sina.cn/album_1_2841_2708 ... &vt=4&hd=1

Don't know the answer to the 2nd question. Planespotter shows the plane having a Chinese test registration, but I am not sure whether that means anything.

airtechy

Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 am

At least initially, wouldn't the air being expelled by the pressure in the cabin be somewhat equalized by the opposite direction air from the forward velocity of the plane? :scratchchin:

reffado

Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Max Q wrote:

The F/O suffered scratches and sprained wrist, but is otherwise doing ok.

2nd and 3rd picture show the F/O in hospital: (The one after that is a flight attendent that was injured at the beginning of the descent)
https://photo.sina.cn/album_1_2841_2708 ... &vt=4&hd=1

Don't know the answer to the 2nd question. Planespotter shows the plane having a Chinese test registration, but I am not sure whether that means anything.

This particular aircraft had assembly finished in Tianjin, China, AFAIK. I’m still impressed at the damage.

kmz

Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 am

Did the whole window separate or is there a hole in it? In the picture taken from the outside it seems that there is a hole, but i might be wrong

Balerit

Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 am

LXJ wrote:
7673mech wrote:
LXJ wrote:

“也未进行过任何维修和更换工作。”

This quote from the article states “[the windshield] has never undergone any maintenance or replacement work”

My understanding was the windshield was never been removed previously and was in the original status as it was assembled by Airbus. And as mentioned in my previous post, it had no fault history either according to the article.

That’s why I was wondering if Airbus could be at fault here.

Why Airbus and not the window manufacturer? How old is this aircraft?
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

Boeing757rb211

Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 am

Seems like it's been a pretty intense year so far for "odd", and highly uncommon accidents / incidents. :worried: