Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetmarc
Topic Author

Leaked Sneak Peek: United New Uniforms

Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Saw some photos on Instagram... link to the story with some photos of the new United Airlines uniform.

http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2018/05/12/united-goes-star-trek-leaked-photos-reveal-what-the-new-united-airlines-uniform-will-look-like/amp/
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun May 13, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

devron

Re: Leaked Sneak Peak: United New Uniforms

Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Back to the topic, these uniforms suck and I can't imagine they are pratical.To bad we didn't see any male uniforms or pilot uniforms

NateGreat

Sun May 13, 2018 8:58 pm

devron wrote:
Back to the topic, these uniforms suck and I can't imagine they are pratical.To bad we didn't see any male uniforms or pilot uniforms

And they mock Delta F/As for looking like Barney...

PI4EVER

Sun May 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Yes back on to the topic. It's an imperfect world.
I am sure UA employees will welcome a new fresh look. I'd hope for a bit more color and the addition of wings or company emblem in some form.
It is after all an early rendition being unveiled to an employee focus group so likely many tweaks before final design rollout
Please let's not open the "tulip" or "globe" discussion again for a matching airplane look.
Congratulation to UA for a new look.
And Jetmarc. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the peak/peek/ sneak look. :)

iahcsr

Sun May 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Keep very much in mind what you see is the beginning of a year+ long process. The final result could look quite different.

Sun May 13, 2018 9:01 pm

DL uniforms DO look like Barney; and it is an insult to the dinosaur. .

LAXintl

Sun May 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Company statement:

New uniform program update
In partnership with our front-line uniform design committee, the AFA and our designers at Tracy Reese and Brooks Brothers, we are continuing the collaborative process to create brand-new uniforms for our employees. Last week we hosted a session with our uniform design committee where we reviewed some uniform prototypes in advance of the upcoming wear test, which will be focused on material quality and function to determine what works and what doesn’t. Unfortunately, some photos from this committee meeting were posted online without the explanation that this is simply a preliminary step along our journey. We want to clarify for everyone that these are not final pieces and are not reflective of final colors and fits. It’s important to note that this is the beginning of an iterative design process, and we will continue to work with our AFA partners to gather feedback and make adjustments as we go through the wear test and production phases. We thank you for your patience and greatly appreciate your input.

Doublecatered

Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm

They are practically identical to the Qantas female uniform but without the color
I can’t believe they would do something so similar

Antarius

Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Good lord. Just awful

DfwRevolution

Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Company statement:

New uniform program update
In partnership with our front-line uniform design committee, the AFA and our designers at Tracy Reese and Brooks Brothers, we are continuing the collaborative process to create brand-new uniforms for our employees. Last week we hosted a session with our uniform design committee where we reviewed some uniform prototypes in advance of the upcoming wear test, which will be focused on material quality and function to determine what works and what doesn’t. Unfortunately, some photos from this committee meeting were posted online without the explanation that this is simply a preliminary step along our journey. We want to clarify for everyone that these are not final pieces and are not reflective of final colors and fits. It’s important to note that this is the beginning of an iterative design process, and we will continue to work with our AFA partners to gather feedback and make adjustments as we go through the wear test and production phases. We thank you for your patience and greatly appreciate your input.

How is it that we don't know what materials are suitable for a flight attendant uniform? Committees sure love to spend money solving old problems.

aemoreira1981

Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Good lord! This is where I'd say to go back to basics---using the airline's colors of blue and gold...blue as fabric and gold as piping.

Super80Fan

Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Yuck. That's all I'm going to say.

ual763

Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Calm down people. As was already stated by the airline, this is not a final selection of color and/or fits. It is merely a few of the options Tracy Reese sent to United to test. There were more than likely a LOT more that were tested. In a prior pilot uniform update, there were probably no less than 20 different suits sent to the company for testing. The flight attendant’s, we were told, had about 3-4x more options sent by the designers to test.

Full disclaimer: I think these are hideous too.

meriton

Re: Leaked Sneak Peek: United New Uniforms

Sun May 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Friends in the company tell me some of the senior staff really pushed back on these, but they were not listened to.

DTWorld

Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 am

I actually yawned while looking at them they looked so drab.

davescj

Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 am

From bad to worse....

smi0006

Mon May 14, 2018 2:48 am

Doublecatered wrote:
They are practically identical to the Qantas female uniform but without the color
I can’t believe they would do something so similar

Looks a lot like the AS uniforms to me - I actually don’t mind them. That’s shawl seems rather glamorous to me.

When’s the release date due?

FlyHappy

Mon May 14, 2018 2:53 am

A bit "Star Trek-y" I'd say. Doesn't bother me at all.
If they're comfortable for the crew, then I'm all for it.

intotheair

Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 am

I like the idea of going back to a grey and navy scheme like in the PMUA days. Should be interesting to see the finished product.

It'll also be interesting to see what the men's uniforms look like, though with Brooks Brothers, it'd be hard to go wrong.

F9Animal

Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 am

LOL!!! Hope the AFA and the UA folks head back to the table and have a serious talk about uniforms. Why does everything have to be so weird? What happened to a black or navy blue suit and tied, and dress for the ladies?

N766UA

Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 am

United’s current blue and black FA uniforms are pretty classy. What I’m seeing in these photos... look a bit like a child came up with them? And used old, discarded fabric?

flydude380

Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Horrible! Like, what is wrong with the current uniforms and aren’t they fairly new anyways?! Can’t airlines use the uniform budget on other things? I’m sure the employees will like it added to their bonuses and stop the random cuts to things like beverages! What is this madness?!

Noise

Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 pm

They look like Star Trek uniforms.

LawAndOrder

Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm

ual763 wrote:
Calm down people. As was already stated by the airline, this is not a final selection of color and/or fits. It is merely a few of the options Tracy Reese sent to United to test. There were more than likely a LOT more that were tested. In a prior pilot uniform update, there were probably no less than 20 different suits sent to the company for testing. The flight attendant’s, we were told, had about 3-4x more options sent by the designers to test.

If you are at the point of showing something to a group of employees you should not have over 20 options. The company should have a cohesive collection. Once designs are out there to larger focus groups it should be to scale down options and possibly get opinions on color and material. (Color is the easiest thing to change so I wouldn’t hold my breathe on the colors staying in their entirety).

On other note maybe it’s just irony but awfully close “leak” to May 29th.

ual763

Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
ual763 wrote:

If you are at the point of showing something to a group of employees you should not have over 20 options. The company should have a cohesive collection. Once designs are out there to larger focus groups it should be to scale down options and possibly get opinions on color and material. (Color is the easiest thing to change so I wouldn’t hold my breathe on the colors staying in their entirety).

I don’t get your point. The AFA and Pilots are the ones spearheading the selection of new uniforms, not Management. This is fairly normal. As I said, the pilots have received nearly 20 different design variations on paper from Brooks Brothers. The focus groups are there to then narrow it down. The ugly ones (in the eyes of the focus group) weren’t even given the opportunity to make it out the conceptual stage. Last time, there were about 10 that made it to actual production and showcasing. These were then worn and tested by further focus groups. Finally, it was narrowed down to 1. There is a LOT more variation in FA uniforms. Hence why they initially receive about 3-4x the amount of conceptual uniforms as the pilots do. A friend selected to be on the focus group, said she was presented with about 25 different uniforms to actually try on. Now granted, these variations are thing such as skirt/no skirt, dress/blouse& skirt, pants & blouse, shawl & skirt, etc. Colors are then voted on by the focus groups and then approved by management.

NYPECO

Tue May 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Terrible. Hopefully this isn't the final look.

himarhernandez

Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm

You guys are great, I am having a great laugh.

I would rename the article to: United goes 1991 (only the shoulder pads are missing)

AaronPGH

Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Would be great if folks took 30 seconds to read before posting.

LawAndOrder

Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

ual763 wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I don’t get your point. The AFA and Pilots are the ones spearheading the selection of new uniforms, not Management. This is fairly normal. As I said, the pilots have received nearly 20 different design variations on paper from Brooks Brothers. The focus groups are there to then narrow it down. The ugly ones (in the eyes of the focus group) weren’t even given the opportunity to make it out the conceptual stage. Last time, there were about 10 that made it to actual production and showcasing. These were then worn and tested by further focus groups. Finally, it was narrowed down to 1. There is a LOT more variation in FA uniforms. Hence why they initially receive about 3-4x the amount of conceptual uniforms as the pilots do. A friend selected to be on the focus group, said she was presented with about 25 different uniforms to actually try on. Now granted, these variations are thing such as skirt/no skirt, dress/blouse& skirt, pants & blouse, shawl & skirt, etc. Colors are then voted on by the focus groups and then approved by management.

Why would you give a focus group 25 for that matter 20 items. I think we are debating two totally different things. I’m coming from the angle we as a country have to many choices.

I’ve conducted many focus groups (on fashion and uniforms). Generally you bring focus groups in when choosing a concept. Then you build a line and have a group of people narrow the selection (the step that United is currently in it appears).

The fact that these designs made it even this far shows me where they are headed conceptionally. Google Southwest Airlines uniform poncho for reference (no not the hot pants). I think it will be a ode to the past with a blend of AS and quantas. Wow-no, acceptable and modern - yes (but corporate and true to United brand- good or bad depending on how you see their brand).

avi8tir

Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 pm

I'd be ok with these as along as new flight attendants came with the uniforms.

adambrau

Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 pm

These are hideous in design. Hard to tell comfort-wise if this is an improvement. Let's hope not the final designs, as United says.

neomax

Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

These photos like something I would expect to see from 4chan, not United.

Junction

Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 pm

As usual, no one on here reads any of the attached articles for the thread (including the poster it seems). Based on the comments, I was under the impression these were photos of new United Airlines flight attendant uniforms. Nothing could be further from the truth it seems.

RyanairGuru

Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t see any likeness to the Qantas uniform. It’s not just the colours, the designs themselves look very different to me.

bgm

Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Absolutely hideous - a perfect fit for UA.

LawAndOrder

Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
Would be great if folks took 30 seconds to read before posting.

I read it

“It was an opportunity to preview various uniform garments and share feedback before a wear test programme starts later this year.”

With wear test beginning later this year. They are most certainly past concept stage. They are in the design stage, and those designs as a base is what bothers me. You generally go big and edit back.

In reference to quantas it’s the simple color blocking dress. I would imagine the designer stuck with two stripes instead of three to be different. I believe the uniforms will look nice overall. They should push to differentiate themselves from AS.

Doublecatered

Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t see any likeness to the Qantas uniform. It’s not just the colours, the designs themselves look very different to me.

Have a look at the female dress with the diagonal colour design on the QF uniform and compare it to the UA pic.
Both uniforms even had 3 different colour shades on the diagonal
Even the overcoat looks the same but a different colour

As a Qantas employee that wears the uniform, the similarity hit me immediately

neomax

Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 am

I cannot for the life of me see any similarities between the UA and QF uniforms.

Doublecatered

Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 am

Ok I give up !!

smi0006

Wed May 16, 2018 5:53 am

Doublecatered wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Have a look at the female dress with the diagonal colour design on the QF uniform and compare it to the UA pic.

Looks to me like the QF & AS uniform mated.

Hopefully they have a sensible range of options, and have guidelines around what can be worn in premium cabins, and some stricter grooming guidelines around female hair length. You don’t see staff at the shangrila or ritz Carlton wearing cardigans at Checkin, I don’t feel they should in Polaris lounges or Polaris cabins either. Lacks a premium feel and shows in their service.

Parts of the current UA uniform is very grey and combined with the sterile blue seats in economy makes even the most bubbly well groomed Crew appear stern.

rbavfan

Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 am

Doublecatered wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

They are not the same look or even overall style. Totally different. And before you say anything. I have done professional photography of models for over 30 years.

LawAndOrder

Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 am

rbavfan wrote:
Doublecatered wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

They are not the same look or even overall style. Totally different. And before you say anything. I have done professional photography of models for over 30 years.

Totally different is a stretch. They are both sheath style dresses with color blocking lines. If United matched the dress to the cape or jacket shown it would Almost be the same dress but in a different color. The overall theme is different but the dress is similar.

Not to be to forward but what’s the relevance of you being a professional photographer of models? What does that have to do with the dress similarities?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos