Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

WN 1380 flight crew on ABC's 20.20-Friday

Fri May 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Here's a little tidbit

The pilot of a Southwest Airlines flight who drew worldwide acclaim for successfully landing a plane last month after a blown engine strafed the fuselage with debris wasn't even supposed to be aboard Flight 1380.

Captain Tammie Jo Shults told ABC News’ 20/20 her husband, Dean, also a Southwest pilot, was supposed to captain the Boeing 737 that day. They swapped flights so Shults could see their son participate in a track meet.

“I’m not trading with him anymore,” Shults laughed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 597530002/

727LOVER
Topic Author

Re: WN 1380 flight crew on ABC's 20.20-Friday

Sat May 12, 2018 1:53 am

Reminder------starts in a few

flyguy84

Sat May 12, 2018 2:19 am

Who cares? She didn’t do anything heroic she just did her job. The plane was was flying just fine.

cbphoto

Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 am

flyguy84 wrote:
Who cares? She didn’t do anything heroic she just did her job. The plane was was flying just fine.

Bingo, thank you for summing up my thoughts exactly. I myself have over 10,000 hours and I’m currently an airline Captain, and I think this is blown way out of proportion. Too much glamor over a fatality on this flight. The crew did a great job getting the plane on the ground, but it was well within the normal parameters of flying an airplane.

stratosphere

Sat May 12, 2018 2:44 am

cbphoto wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Bingo, thank you for summing up my thoughts exactly. I myself have over 10,000 hours and I’m currently an airline Captain, and I think this is blown way out of proportion. Too much glamor over a fatality on this flight. The crew did a great job getting the plane on the ground, but it was well within the normal parameters of flying an airplane.

A lot of flight crews dog Sully too. I agree in this case they still had one engine and altitude a few things Sully did not have so yes they even with a unusual situation it was not like some other well known emergencies but you know the media they have to have something to chew on.

airtrantpa

Sat May 12, 2018 3:00 am

This has some real horrible journalism. They make evwrything so dramatic. I hate the news and when they report airlines
Last edited by airtrantpa on Sat May 12, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

airtrantpa

Sat May 12, 2018 3:01 am

This has some real horrible journalism. They make evwrything so dramatic. I hate the news whwn they report on airlines

ACDC8

Sat May 12, 2018 3:31 am

So she and her hubby switched shifts? Oh goodness, I can see it now if she asks him to do some extra chores lol

cbphoto

Sat May 12, 2018 3:33 am

stratosphere wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

A lot of flight crews dog Sully too. I agree in this case they still had one engine and altitude a few things Sully did not have so yes they even with a unusual situation it was not like some other well known emergencies but you know the media they have to have something to chew on.

I think Sully definitely deserves and received more respect from peers in the industry. That being said, most flight crews dogged Sully when he started to take advantage of his fame and use it to lobby the industry. He was a hell of a pilot, but by no means an expert on industry topics. That’s my two cents at least.

stratosphere

Sat May 12, 2018 3:52 am

cbphoto wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
cbphoto wrote:

I think Sully definitely deserves and received more respect from peers in the industry. That being said, most flight crews dogged Sully when he started to take advantage of his fame and use it to lobby the industry. He was a hell of a pilot, but by no means an expert on industry topics. That’s my two cents at least.

Well I guess that is what happens when human nature takes over. Like politicians I think they start out wanting to do the right thing but greed and money are close so they just go for it.

baqnav

Sat May 12, 2018 5:16 am

cbphoto wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Such a stud

reggiet

Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 am

flyguy84 wrote:

Bingo

T prop

Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 pm

20/20? Oh goody, maybe they'll even have scary Mary Schiavo come on and share some of her thoughts on this heroic act.. :roll:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos