UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 am

What aircraft did Northwest use on the MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s? Did they use 744 or 742s?
 
jetero
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 5:26 am

UA857 wrote:
What aircraft did Northwest use on the MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s? Did they use 744 or 742s?


Didn’t NW have a modified 742 that could make JFK-NRT nonstop?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 10691
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 am

Even as of 1992, they used 744s for JFK

DTW, MSP, SEA, SFO, LAX, and HNL all used 742s

http://www.departedflights.com/NW121592p17.html
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
TC957
Posts: 3004
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 am

From memory, I think it was a 744 that routed JFK-NRT-MSP-NRT-JFK as a W pattern.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2056
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 7:44 am

A NW 742 routed NRT-MSP-ORD-NRT. Flew on the afternoon MSP-ORD sector- fun! Plane overnighted in ORD then headed to NRT next morning.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 am

From memory: NW had 10 B744 in the 1990s.

JFK-NRT was exclusively operated by the type thought the decade.

DTW-NRT operated with the type from 1992 onward, replacing the 742, when DTW-SEL was discontinued.

MSP-NRT also operated with the type beginning in 1992, also replacing the 742, when JFK-OSA-SYD-LAX-SYD was discontinued. HOWEVER, MSP reverted back to the 742 when SEA-HKG was launched circa 1995. Although the B744 made a few cameo appearances on MSP/NRT, it didn’t regularly operate it again until 2003.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.
 
mmo
Posts: 1586
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 am

jetero wrote:
UA857 wrote:
What aircraft did Northwest use on the MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s? Did they use 744 or 742s?


Didn’t NW have a modified 742 that could make JFK-NRT nonstop?


There was no modified 742. They had a 742B with JT9-7R4D engines. MTOW was 833 and MLW was 650. Could do JFK-NRT full all year long without any problem at all.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm

When was JFK-NRT completely switched to a 747-400?
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4438
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm

UA857 wrote:
When was JFK-NRT completely switched to a 747-400?

1989. JFK-NRT was NWs first 744 route.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Fri May 11, 2018 5:34 am

What type of 747-200 did NW use on MSP-NRT was it the ones with 7Q engines or the ones with 7R engines?
 
DL757NYC
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Fri May 11, 2018 7:16 am

I miss the 744 top deck from Jfk-NRT.
 
mmo
Posts: 1586
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 am

UA857 wrote:
What type of 747-200 did NW use on MSP-NRT was it the ones with 7Q engines or the ones with 7R engines?

Generally, it was a Q. However, if they needed to get an R powered back into the rotation they would use that one.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 am

http://www.departedflights.com/JFKI96p5.html
Shows that JFK-NRT is a 742 not 744.
 
Frostbite
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2001 4:31 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 am

I agree the 742 regularly operated JFK-NRT in the late 90s. Anecdotally, I worked the ramp for DL in Fairbanks AK (FAI), around 1998-1999 a NW 747-200B dropped in on us for fuel, operating JFK-NRT. It was not an equipment sub, just heavy and running against headwinds.
 
UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 5:19 am

Frostbite wrote:
I agree the 742 regularly operated JFK-NRT in the late 90s. Anecdotally, I worked the ramp for DL in Fairbanks AK (FAI), around 1998-1999 a NW 747-200B dropped in on us for fuel, operating JFK-NRT. It was not an equipment sub, just heavy and running against headwinds.

Was it operated by a 747-200 all year around?
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 am

UA857 wrote:
http://www.departedflights.com/JFKI96p5.html
Shows that JFK-NRT is a 742 not 744.


Probably just the way the info was reported via OAG; the NW timetable shows it as a 744. Notice the UA flight is also listed as a 747 — kinda hard to digest given UA had a half-dozen 742 vs. nearly 30 744, and the 742 were primarily flown domestically by 1996. There’s some YouTube videos showing UA commercials from circa 1994 advertising its all-744 Pacific fleet...
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.
 
mmo
Posts: 1586
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

UA857 wrote:
Was it operated by a 747-200 all year around?


Yes, NW 17/18 was operated with a 200 all year long. Ideally, a 200B would be used but it was not uncommon, especially during the summer, to see a 200A with Q power on the rotation.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: NW MSP-NRT and JFK-NRT in the 1990s

Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 pm

compensateme wrote:
UA857 wrote:
http://www.departedflights.com/JFKI96p5.html
Shows that JFK-NRT is a 742 not 744.


Probably just the way the info was reported via OAG; the NW timetable shows it as a 744. Notice the UA flight is also listed as a 747 — kinda hard to digest given UA had a half-dozen 742 vs. nearly 30 744, and the 742 were primarily flown domestically by 1996. There’s some YouTube videos showing UA commercials from circa 1994 advertising its all-744 Pacific fleet...

747 means 747-100 or 747-200

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos