SRQKEF

Re: Wow Air to announce flights to Delhi

Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Why WOW and not IcelandAir? Is IcelandAir fizzling out??

Icelandair has been showing impressive growth as well although they get much less media attention than those flashy purple planes. As a publicly traded company, Icelandair is also a lot more transparent with their financials than WOW and they are doing just fine. WOW is in a much riskier position and more likely to "fizzle out" if there is a oil price spike or an economic slowdown in their key markets, although I hope for the best for both carriers.

Concur with everything in this analysis. To add, FI is generally the more conservative airline in its decisions, both regarding fleet additions and new destinations. FI is in a very strong position financially while the cash flow of WOW is very murky. Nevertheless, I absolutely love all the cheap options and activity from KEF and wish both airlines the very best!
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

SRQKEF

Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
stl07 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Icelandair has 4 767-300ER, but they use them rather on their current routes.

Yes, sry I should have been more clear- Icelandair doesn't have any more room for expansion but wow does because they have widebodies on order, unlike FI who canceled them.

Icelandair still has one 787-8 on order. The 767 were bought after they sold their other 787 slots to Norwegian. If Icelandair wants to add some destination in Asia, it is possible to buy used frames. Icelandair owns most of its frames, whereas WOW leases all its frames. Icelandair is pondering Asian destinations.

That 787 is not going to FI. Period. I'm not sure where it's going, but I do know from sources within senior management it will be moved on to another airline as soon as Boeing finds a new buyer. It's just listed as going to FI until that buyer is found.

However, from what I've heard FI is looking for 2-4 additional 767s which fit their fleet much better both in regards to cheap acquiring cost and capacity. FI makes a point of owning as many of their aircraft as possible and the 767 at around 15-20M$ a frame is perfect for that.

DSFTEBMNZ

Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 pm

BWI Airport in the Baltimore-Washington metro area is claiming a "new India destination" one-stop on WOW. Anyone know if Delhi is to have a same plane or same flight number service from BWI?

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2018/ ... th-a-stop/

YouGeeElWhy

Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

DSFTEBMNZ wrote:
BWI Airport in the Baltimore-Washington metro area is claiming a "new India destination" one-stop on WOW. Anyone know if Delhi is to have a same plane or same flight number service from BWI?

The marketing folks at BWI are thirsty.

aemoreira1981

Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Yes, sry I should have been more clear- Icelandair doesn't have any more room for expansion but wow does because they have widebodies on order, unlike FI who canceled them.

Icelandair still has one 787-8 on order. The 767 were bought after they sold their other 787 slots to Norwegian. If Icelandair wants to add some destination in Asia, it is possible to buy used frames. Icelandair owns most of its frames, whereas WOW leases all its frames. Icelandair is pondering Asian destinations.

That 787 is not going to FI. Period. I'm not sure where it's going, but I do know from sources within senior management it will be moved on to another airline as soon as Boeing finds a new buyer. It's just listed as going to FI until that buyer is found.

However, from what I've heard FI is looking for 2-4 additional 767s which fit their fleet much better both in regards to cheap acquiring cost and capacity. FI makes a point of owning as many of their aircraft as possible and the 767 at around 15-20M$ a frame is perfect for that.

I’m surprised that FI didn’t keep the order and act as a lessor, similar to when it kept the 737 NG order. The 737 MAX aircraft are being partially sold and leased back (deals for some were signed with Bank of Communication -Shanghai and Sumitomo Mitsubishi Financial to that end). However, FI owns all but one of its passenger 757 aircraft and 3 of the 4 767s (a single 767 is leased from GECAS). That said, where is FI going to find a 763 with 4 doors and 4 overwing exits? My guess is that they could try to purchase Meridiana or TUI 767s from their lessors or the Airlines, although those are 8 door frames.

stl07

Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

The marketing folks at BWI are thirsty.

They do bring in the widebodies to the east coast sometimes and connect over to Paris so who knows

mjoelnir

Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

I’m surprised that FI didn’t keep the order and act as a lessor, similar to when it kept the 737 NG order. The 737 MAX aircraft are being partially sold and leased back (deals for some were signed with Bank of Communication -Shanghai and Sumitomo Mitsubishi Financial to that end). However, FI owns all but one of its passenger 757 aircraft and 3 of the 4 767s (a single 767 is leased from GECAS). That said, where is FI going to find a 763 with 4 doors and 4 overwing exits? My guess is that they could try to purchase Meridiana or TUI 767s from their lessors or the Airlines, although those are 8 door frames.

I am not so sure that FI will not take the 787 and lease it out, when the time comes.

SRQKEF

Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

I am not so sure that FI will not take the 787 and lease it out, when the time comes.

That's absolutely an option. Unfortunately, it will never wear the FI colors though. Probably a smart decision for the airline at this moment in time, but for us enthusiasts the more variety, the better! ;)

SRQKEF

Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

There are also the 767s being retired from the US3. AA, DL and UA are all retiring 767s and FI already has a sizeable fleet of ex-AA 757s so the precedent's there.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

Different flight numbers and a 6h 45m layover actually ...
https://booking.wowair.com/search?fromC ... 1526488502

aemoreira1981

Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 am

SRQKEF wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

There are also the 767s being retired from the US3. AA, DL and UA are all retiring 767s and FI already has a sizeable fleet of ex-AA 757s so the precedent's there.

DL's 767s, when retired, will be past 110,000 hours and some are at about 130,000 hours. The top-up AA B763s might be available, but not for several more years.

MalevTU134

Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

According to this new thread, no Russia overflight rights for Icelandic airlines. That puts anything east of Delhi on hold for WW (and FI), I guess...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1394467

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos