anshabhi
Topic Author

Wow Air to announce flights to Delhi

Wed May 09, 2018 6:40 am

https://twitter.com/airplusnews/status/ ... 1090705408
https://twitter.com/mcuip/status/993829664002138112

Just how incredibly exciting this is !!! India will soon have first long haul low cost carrier service to western nations!!

I am expecting this to be one of their first A330neo routes..
Last edited by anshabhi on Wed May 09, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

binayak

Re: Wow Air to announce flights to Delhi

Wed May 09, 2018 6:42 am

I guess it might be a330 only.
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They'll indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!

binayak

Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 am

Wonder how cheap fares can they provide for India NA (which they are aiming).
I randomly checked for BOM JFK RT and found that fares started from 52K RT!!
https://www.makemytrip.com/air/search?t ... binClass=E
9W must be declared as India's national airline. They'll indirectly fulfill JRD's vision!!

sand26391

Wed May 09, 2018 7:04 am

https://twitter.com/airplusnews/status/ ... 1090705408

Translation: "WOW Air will announce the start of its operations between Reykjavik and New Delhi on May 15.
Objective: To make Iceland a strategic hub between the United States and India/Asia.

a350lover

Wed May 09, 2018 8:15 am

Never better said... wow wow!

This airline strategy is equally fascinating and confounding.

I guess this makes some sense as a connecting route to fly pax through KEF, but I am curious about a couple of things:

how much capacity can this station handle.
      how different would this proposal be from others which are offered through other traditional hubs for these markets like LHR or AMS, which in my opinion are probably the ones which move the highest traffics USA-India.

Of course, long-haul-low-cost is interesting and cool, but for sure they won't be able to have the freq and capacity to ensure lots of connections. Any idea about how many frequencies could Wow operate on the route to DEL?

Exciting anyway.

TheLion

Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am

A groundbreaking route without question, however starting in just a week’s time?

Cipango

Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 am

TheLion wrote:
      A groundbreaking route without question, however starting in just a week’s time?

I believe May 15th is just the official announcement of this route. Will more than likely begin later in 2018/early 2019.
      Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA940

Wed May 09, 2018 9:39 am

I'm praying this works, but at the same time I won't hold my breath. Since WOW wants to fly to up to 5 destinations in Asia, I would expect them to order some 787's to be able to reach those destinations
      A350/CSeries = bae

anshabhi
      Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 am

TheLion wrote:

They don't have any vacant aircraft capable of flyind to Delhi right now. Most probably they will start this with one of their upcoming A330-900 NEO, which will be delivered around September this year.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 10:37 am

Congratulations WoW. First ULCC one-stop between USA-India. Hope they expand to India more now that US is well connected with KEF. Nightmare scenario to US3, EU3, ME3 and CN3. I bet China Southern/Eastern will offer $300 RT next year.

neomax

Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am

This is big. Bigger than a lot of people realize. Numerous small and secondary cities now have the potential to have one stop flights to DEL. Small cities previously without a route to Europe, let alone to India could for the first time be just one stop away. Amazing!

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am

On a side note, how are the food options at KEF terminal? Do they sell any vegetarian food?

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
      On a side note, how are the food options at KEF terminal? Do they sell any vegetarian food?

No, it's all fish.

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 11:18 am

I take it they have Russian overflight rights sorted? If not, that will be a detour of a few hours on DEL-KEF.

Galwayman

Wed May 09, 2018 11:19 am

Anyone know how long a flight from KEF to Delhi with Russian overflights rights should take ?

Thenoflyzone

Wed May 09, 2018 12:11 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
      I take it they have Russian overflight rights sorted? If not, that will be a detour of a few hours on DEL-KEF.

Not really. A 50-55 minute detour at most. Not ideal, but no big deal.

4127 nm vs 4549 nm (+10.2%).

Galwayman wrote:
      Anyone know how long a flight from KEF to Delhi with Russian overflights rights should take ?

About 9 hours.
      us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Flightsimboy

Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 pm

binayak wrote:

Were you trying business class? There is on way anyone from the Indian subcontinent would pay $5K to India. Not even EK in peak season is that high....oh wait did you say 52K...huh

lowfareair

Wed May 09, 2018 12:49 pm

neomax wrote:
      This is big. Bigger than a lot of people realize. Numerous small and secondary cities now have the potential to have one stop flights to DEL. Small cities previously without a route to Europe, let alone to India could for the first time be just one stop away. Amazing!

Where in North America does Wow fly that doesn't already have nonstop or one-stop service to Delhi on UA via EWR, UA/AI/AC via ORD/EWR/IAD/SFO/YYZ/YVR, or the myriad of other options via Europe?

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
      binayak wrote:

Were you trying business class? There is on way anyone from the Indian subcontinent would pay $5K to India. Not even EK in peak season is that high....oh wait did you say 52K...huh

I think 52,000 Indian Rupees. USD 786 round trip.

Cheap fares are ONLY available to destinations where capacity gets dumped, like JFK and ORD.

WoW will offer cheap one-stops to other places.

GCT64

Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

No, it's all fish.

Best answer on a.net this month :-)
      Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX

Flightsimboy

Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
      Flightsimboy wrote:
      binayak wrote:

Cheap fares are ONLY available to destinations where capacity gets dumped, like JFK and ORD.

Indian rupees makes sense!!!

neomax

Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 pm

lowfareair wrote:
      neomax wrote:

Where in North America does Wow fly that doesn't already have nonstop or one-stop service to Delhi on UA via EWR, UA/AI/AC via ORD/EWR/IAD/SFO/YYZ/YVR, or the myriad of other options via Europe?

Since when did any of them stop price gouging?

YouGeeElWhy

Wed May 09, 2018 1:32 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
      Congratulations WoW. First ULCC one-stop between USA-India. Hope they expand to India more now that US is well connected with KEF. Nightmare scenario to US3, EU3, ME3 and CN3. I bet China Southern/Eastern will offer $300 RT next year.
      While this is fantastic news, but really do you hyperbole much? The amount of lift being directed into DEL from North America makes these additional 350 seats just a drop in the bucket. It will not move the needle much on pricing.

WoW is not going to start flying KEF-BLR/HYD/MAA, which is something that would be more sensational. Those stage lengths would likely require more than one plane to be dedicated to that route. I just don't see WoW operating routes that take more than one plane to do a daily frequency. KEF-BOM is possible.

YouGeeElWhy

Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
      Galwayman wrote:

About 9 hours.
      You sure about that? LHR-DEL is 8 hours and 30 minutes. Think KEF-DEL would be something more like 10 hours.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 1:59 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
      WoW is not going to start flying KEF-BLR/HYD/MAA, which is something that would be more sensational. Those stage lengths would likely require more than one plane to be dedicated to that route. I just don't see WoW operating routes that take more than one plane to do a daily frequency. KEF-BOM is possible.

The probability of WoW starting to Tier-II cities is higher. LH can never convince their crew, KL cannot free itself from AF. 9W doesn't have funds/planes.

Let it be seasonal so legacies cannot gouge during peak seasons.

Also about fly times.
      http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dtw-kef-hy ... 81&SU=mach

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 2:03 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:

Why wouldn't they? They have started plenty of secondary US cities, so doing the same in India wouldn't surprise anybody. That would be copying a page from EK's game book - combining secondary cities, a market overlooked by many. Maybe these markets will not be served daily (initially), but I believe secondary Indian cities are definitely on WW's agenda.

adam47150

Wed May 09, 2018 2:14 pm

I could see them adding BLR and then adding IND because of the new Infosys campus to be built at IND. IND-KEF-BLR is almost an hour quicker than IND-CDG-BLR.

vadodara

Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Another LCC joining the fray! Are the 'full-service' guys still around?

vadodara

Wed May 09, 2018 2:49 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

No, it's all fish.

Highly disappointing. No whales, walrus' or reindeer?

binayak

Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Don't know about CN3 but I don't think it will be any kind of a nightmare for EU3 / UA . Both have good number of FFs in India who will continue to fly them ( even the Y flying ones). Plus there will be few left who shall choose an FSC only. In the beginning there might be fare wars but slowly everything will be normal for EU legacies in India.

Flightsimboy wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

I actually wanted to show how cheap fares can go and sorry for not mentioning the currency. So if currently Indian pax (read tourists) have an option of buying tickets to US at $786 RT then will there be too much of a difference if another carrier jumps into the list with ~$650 RT fares.

And yes it doesn't make much difference how many destinations WOW has in US. They will just carry young tourists who will start and end their tour at NY/LA/SF. That is how the itineraries of tour packages in India are designed. Many people here fail to understand that most of the price conscious tourists in India don't visit only few destinations at once. They try to visit as many places in a single trip as they can. So they will follow the itineraries of the cheap tour packages and thus the traffic will be more towards those cities from where their tour starts or ends.

binayak

Wed May 09, 2018 2:52 pm

vadodara wrote:
      Another LCC joining the fray! Are the 'full-service' guys still around?

Yes they are and will be...

lightsaber

Wed May 09, 2018 3:18 pm

What are the bilateral rights?

KEF to India should do very well.
      The issue is DUB-India should also be able to compete. The other EU3 hubs are getting too impacted.

If bilaterals allow, add the 10 hour cities. But since only widebodies will work, that limits how many secondary cities will be connected.

GCT64 wrote:
      MalevTU134 wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

No, it's all fish.

Best answer on a.net this month :-)

It's all about the fish!

Lightsaber
      You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

klm617

Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm

This is great news for the Indian community of Detroit. No more double connects because an ME3 carrier refuses to serve Detroit and someone has finally cracked the Delta over priced options to India out of Detroit. This can't happen soon enough.
      the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

YouGeeElWhy

Wed May 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Ugh, any thread about India on this forum just devolves into fantasy land.

Iceland just like China or Korea or Germany has flight bilaterals they are restricted by. Right now it is only 14 flights a week.

Like I said above WoW is not going to start routes that require multiple planes to operate a route over 10 hours from KEF makes that hard to do turns with a single plane.

vadodara

Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 pm

binayak wrote:
      And yes it doesn't make much difference how many destinations WOW has in US. They will just carry young tourists who will start and end their tour at NY/LA/SF. That is how the itineraries of tour packages in India are designed. Many people here fail to understand that most of the price conscious tourists in India don't visit only few destinations at once. They try to visit as many places in a single trip as they can. So they will follow the itineraries of the cheap tour packages and thus the traffic will be more towards those cities from where their tour starts or ends.

It does, the other way around. WoW covers plenty of points like CLE, DET, PIT, BOS with narrow-bodies. It has been funneling those pax to Europe. Now, by adding a single spoke, DEL, it can add a lot of incremental traffic.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 3:39 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
      Like I said above WoW is not going to start routes that require multiple planes to operate a route over 10 hours from KEF makes that hard to do turns with a single plane.

Airlines won't assign planes to long-haul/ultra-long haul routes. Assuming KEF-HYD needs 11 hour block with with 2 hour turn at HYD, same frame need not go back to HYD. It will be used on different route after 4 hours at base. A330NEOs are a great fit for LH-LCCs.

Even a ULH needs only 1.5 planes, when used efficiently.

klm617

Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 pm

adam47150 wrote:
      I could see them adding BLR and then adding IND because of the new Infosys campus to be built at IND. IND-KEF-BLR is almost an hour quicker than IND-CDG-BLR.

And at half the price. Bet you didn't see that one coming Delta.
      the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

binayak wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

Don't know about CN3 but I don't think it will be any kind of a nightmare for EU3 / UA . Both have good number of FFs in India who will continue to fly them ( even the Y flying ones). Plus there will be few left who shall choose an FSC only. In the beginning there might be fare wars but slowly everything will be normal for EU legacies in India.

Flightsimboy wrote:
      dtw2hyd wrote:

I actually wanted to show how cheap fares can go and sorry for not mentioning the currency. So if currently Indian pax (read tourists) have an option of buying tickets to US at $786 RT then will there be too much of a difference if another carrier jumps into the list with ~$650 RT fares.

This is a great option for students also that want to travel abroad for their studies it now makes the world just that much closer for them.

LAX772LR

Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm

neomax wrote:
      Numerous small and secondary cities now have the potential to have one stop flights to DEL.

Huh? What cities are gaining a 1stop to DEL from this, that didn't already have it?
      I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
      YouGeeElWhy wrote:

Airlines won't assign planes to long-haul/ultra-long haul routes. Assuming KEF-HYD needs 11 hour block with with 2 hour turn at HYD, same frame need not go back to HYD. It will be used on different route after 4 hours at base. A330NEOs are a great fit for LH-LCCs.

Even a ULH needs only 1.5 planes, when used efficiently.

Exactly. Also, I doubt most of these routes will be daily, at least initially.

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
      neomax wrote:
      Numerous small and secondary cities now have the potential to have one stop flights to DEL.

Huh? What cities are gaining a 1stop to DEL from this, that didn't already have it?

Akureyri and Egilsstađir :)

dtw2hyd

Wed May 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Looking at gcmap DTW-KEF-DEL could be 40 minute shorter compared to European stops.

If (a Big IF) WoW can build a bank of 15 US and 15 East bound services, all bets are off.

There are couple of restaurants serving vegetarian sandwiches after passport control at KEF.

abrelosojos

Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 pm

As a friend of mine said to me last night, "I never thought I'd see an Iceland to India nonstop". This is a truly game-changing route, and I wish them all the luck.

Saludos,
      Alex
      Live, and let live.

binayak

Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 pm

klm617 wrote:

This is a great option for students also that want to travel abroad for their studies it now makes the world just that much closer for them.

How much baggage allowance will those students get from WOW?
      The only ones to benefit from this LCC long haul are tourists who want to have low cost vacations abroad.
      Students, VFR etc will continue to take China 3 or SU,AZ,LX etc ( the ones who want cheap fares )
      Unlike indian domestic market , in long haul they will prefer discounted fares by an FSC to an LCC.

LH658

Wed May 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Still think, Indian origin people would rather fly non- stop flights from North America, or fly ME3, TK, plus if you live on the west cost such as YVR, SFO, LAX you can connect via HKG, TYO, TPE, ICN, and etc to India. These are Airlines with free food, 2 piece 23kg luggage allowance, decent amount of legroom, and seat width. I think this will be hard to sell other than to younger folks who can care less, and sit in cramp seat for 9 hours.

Slash787

Wed May 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I wish it was from BOM, but well this is great news, I hope they price the tickets right.

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 pm

LH658 wrote:
      Still think, Indian origin people would rather fly non- stop flights from North America, or fly ME3, TK, plus if you live on the west cost such as YVR, SFO, LAX you can connect via HKG, TYO, TPE, ICN, and etc to India. These are Airlines with free food, 2 piece 23kg luggage allowance, decent amount of legroom, and seat width. I think this will be hard to sell other than to younger folks who can care less, and sit in cramp seat for 9 hours.

Can you give seat pitch and width comparisons to make your point clearer, please? How much more cramped is WW compared to, say, CI, NH, KE, CX?

TC957

Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm

So where next for WOW ? DXB / NRT / BKK / BJS perhaps ?

Slash787

Wed May 09, 2018 5:26 pm

TC957 wrote:
      So where next for WOW ? DXB / NRT / BKK / BJS perhaps ?

I can see them doing DXB and BKK

LH658

Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
      LH658 wrote:

Can you give seat pitch and width comparisons to make your point clearer, please? How much more cramped is WW compared to, say, CI, NH, KE, CX?

CX is 18.5 width and Wow air is 17. Seat pitch wow is 30 and CX is 32-33.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos