Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

United Airlines makes big adjustments in onboard food and beverage

Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 am

Go to:

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... j=81444431

What does this mean?

While DL and AA are offerring free meals on certain domestic flights in Y, UA is still not doing this.

aircountry

Re: United Airlines makes big adjustments in onboard food and beverage

Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 am

Is UA charge foods for international flights?

aer

Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 am

aircountry wrote:

Yes, on flights to Mexico, Central America, northern South America, and the Caribbean.

ericm2031

Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am

United Airline wrote:
Go to:

What does this mean?

While DL and AA are offerring free meals on certain domestic flights in Y, UA is still not doing this.

But in E+, UA is on the transcons. I think the general US consumer has grown accustomed to not getting meals on domestic flights and don't choose their flights based on that...especially on the quality of the food that is being served.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 7:01 am

aer wrote:
aircountry wrote:

Yes, on flights to Mexico, Central America, northern South America, and the Caribbean.

I think food is free onboard flights to South America. Also beer and wine.

They don't even offer free spirit like DL, AA etc. On CX, SQ, QF, KL, LH these are given!

aircountry

Tue May 08, 2018 7:13 am

United Airline wrote:
aer wrote:
aircountry wrote:

They don't even offer free spirit like DL, AA etc. On CX, SQ, QF, KL, LH these are given!

My friend flew Virgin Australia from LAX to Brisbane on 77W still offer free meals and when return back to LAX on UA and charged meal. I dont understand and I thought it is free meal on international flight include australia to LAX, SFO and IAH. I want to make sure UA still free meal on SYD to IAH then I can fly on UA to IAH. QF still free meal in all flights include international.

UA777EWRTLV

Tue May 08, 2018 7:28 am

aircountry wrote:
United Airline wrote:
aer wrote:

My friend flew Virgin Australia from LAX to Brisbane on 77W still offer free meals and when return back to LAX on UA and charged meal. I dont understand and I thought it is free meal on international flight include australia to LAX, SFO and IAH. I want to make sure UA still free meal on SYD to IAH then I can fly on UA to IAH. QF still free meal in all flights include international.

UA absolutely offers three free meals on flights from the USA to Australia; international flights over ten hours get a hot meal after take off, a cold mid flight sandwich snack, a full hot meal served prior to arrival. In addition to the three complementary free meals, on flights to Australia and Singapore, passengers can also buy snack boxes to tide them over between the three free meals. Maybe this is what your friend is referring to.

United offers two (or three, if flight time is over ten hours) free meals on all international flights, as well as unlimited non-alcoholic drinks, beer, and wine. Cocktails are complementary to those with certain frequent flyer tier status, and are otherwise available for purchase ($8 or $9?).

Meals are available for purchase on domestic flights; domestic includes all of North and Central America, as well as Hawaii and the Caribbean (with the exception of EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, and BOS-SFO, routes on which a complementary hot meal is served in economy plus)

UA777EWRTLV

Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 am

These “big adjustments” consist of the following:
- removing tomato juice and Sprite Zero from beverage options
- some cutbacks to first class meals on domestic flights under four hours (i.e. some flights going from hot meal to cold meal <sandwich or salad of some sort>)

Spiderguy252

Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 am

UA777EWRTLV wrote:
- some cutbacks to first class meals on domestic flights under four hours (i.e. some flights going from hot meal to cold meal <sandwich or salad of some sort>)

Pfft...that's rubbish.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 10:02 am

These are small items and yet they want to cut.

I am flying DL and AA a lot more lately. Also European/Asian airlines which offer a lot more for the same if not less price.

davescj

Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 am

Many are quick to point out DL doing Y meals. But the free meals are only on JFK-LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA/HNL, DCA-LAX, SEA-BOS/RDU/MCO/FLL, BOS-SFO/LAX, ATL/MSP-HNL. In other words, only main transcontinental routes. That said, at least it is something and an improvement. At least I've generally noticed while DL has tomato juice, I rarely see it served (generally Blood Mary is preferred). I am surprised no one else seems to follow DL on free spirits in Y+, as well as premium snacks over a certain number of miles. As to UA- I find it sad. UA could do more if they wanted to as CO did at one time.

Noise

Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 am

From a service perspective, I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons to fly UA. Still, my choice of airline mainly depends on the price of the ticket.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 08, 2018 12:12 pm

UA777EWRTLV wrote:

What is the point if first class if all the amenities go? No pillows, no meal , it's basically becoming spirits big front seat. Sad

ual763

Tue May 08, 2018 1:07 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

What is the point if first class if all the amenities go? No pillows, no meal , it's basically becoming spirits big front seat. Sad

You do get a meal. It just may not be a nuked rubbery omelette. Now it will be sandwich, fruit tray and cheese plate.

MIflyer12

Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Delta provides F meals by flight distance in miles, and UA by scheduled duration so the comparison is a little awkward, but review these links to see what you can expect snack/cold/hot. If a 1,400 mile flight is less than 4 hours on United, Delta might have provided more. If a 875-mile flight on United is longer than 2:20 and at dinner, UA might have provided more.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... ining.aspx

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... class.html

hohd

Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 pm

The most glaring example of no free meal is on the flights to Hawaii, EWR to HNL is about 11 hours and still no free meals. They often run out of certain paid food items on this flight. Meals should be complimentary on flights to Hawaii, like DL and AA.

MIflyer12

Tue May 08, 2018 1:20 pm

hohd wrote:
The most glaring example of no free meal is on the flights to Hawaii, EWR to HNL is about 11 hours and still no free meals. They often run out of certain paid food items on this flight. Meals should be complimentary on flights to Hawaii, like DL and AA.

That is an example people point to often. IIRC, UA is #1 to Hawaii and Delta #5. Passengers don't seem to be voting with rumbling stomachs.

GSPSPOT

Tue May 08, 2018 2:56 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Delta provides F meals by flight distance in miles, and UA by scheduled duration so the comparison is a little awkward, but review these links to see what you can expect snack/cold/hot. If a 1,400 mile flight is less than 4 hours on United, Delta might have provided more. If a 875-mile flight on United is longer than 2:20 and at dinner, UA might have provided more.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... ining.aspx

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... class.html

Yes, I'm an airline geek, but a hot omelet with Bailey's & coffee at 30,000ft = bliss....

Oops, somehow quoted the wrong post.

globetrotter94

Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
hohd wrote:

That is an example people point to often. IIRC, UA is #1 to Hawaii and Delta #5. Passengers don't seem to be voting with rumbling stomachs.

Was on UA's HNL-ORD overnight flight recently. Most people just brought food with them. TBH, if I had been hungry I would have done the same--would have preferred a packed poke dinner over anything that UA could cater (even for free).

hayzel777

Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 pm

A cheese plate is considered "lunch", some fruits and a scone or muffin, or a wrap that is 1/3 or less of a McDonald's wrap is considered a full "meal" for flights under 4 hours. The main implication here is that most of the domestic routes are under four hours, so this is the new standard of catering for F. Even the FA's are deeply embarrassed by these changes.

UA777EWRTLV

Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

Pfft...that's rubbish.

Agreed that it’s rubbish. While certainly not good news, Just clarifying that these are overall relatively minor changes, not glaring major overhauls in the onboard product.

SonomaFlyer

Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm

I sense a riot in the UA first class cabins! Seriously though, this kind of cheap skate stuff won't sit well with the folks who pay $$ or for frequent fliers who could obtain status on a competing carrier and enjoy better service on the route.

I didn't realize EWR-HNL had no meal service. Its a long as a TATL flight from the West Coast for pity's sake.

jetero

Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Bizarre change for F meals. I personally rarely eat them, but I know I'm in the minority, and the majority will have something new to (rightfully) complain about.

WROORD

Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 pm

UA777EWRTLV wrote:

I thought tomato juice was the most popular drink in the sky - why would they remove it? Sounds like UA again shows no connection with the world. Friendly skies are less and less friendly at United.

MIflyer12

Tue May 08, 2018 11:01 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
I didn't realize EWR-HNL had no meal service. Its a long as a TATL flight from the West Coast for pity's sake.

Yes, it is. But do you think many people fly EWR-ATL-HNL to get a free lunch in coach from Delta?

MSPNWA

Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Disappointing to see more cuts as I enjoy eating on planes, but with all the U.S. carriers cutting back lately with F meals, it's not surprising to see the trend continue. Food just isn't a big enough deal to make the airlines care. It's one of the few cost items an airline can control, and so it's a logical cut item if cutting is the goal.

739er

Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Noise wrote:
From a service perspective, I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons to fly UA. Still, my choice of airline mainly depends on the price of the ticket.

Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner.

TEY1330

Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

Yes, it is. But do you think many people fly EWR-ATL-HNL to get a free lunch in coach from Delta?

A few are. And many are flying Hawaiian from JFK.

ual763

Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 pm

Personally, I think this is just the beginning. Not just for United, but for all the US3. With fuel prices now going up, be glad we get some cheese and fruit. But honestly, I grew up in the restaurant industry. Cheese was far and away the most expensive ingredient we used on a daily basis. It is not cheap. Surely, they’re not saving that much more money than the old spinach omelette w/ egg beaters they served before... So not really sure, I understand these changes. But also, maybe someone else can answer, but will they still have the hot biscuit/Cinnamon roll basket? That was my favorite!

MSPNWA

Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 pm

TEY1330 wrote:
A few are. And many are flying Hawaiian from JFK.

Considering that ATL-HNL capacity is at its lowest in many years and below the level seen when ATL-HNL also didn't have free meals, there must not be too many defectors.

dc10co

Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 am

Very disappointing, especially considering the same “streamlining” was done to the Polaris service starting May 1st. Most of the service enhancements that were touted at the introduction of Polaris have now either been reduced or eliminated.

The problem at United is that although the ugly head of the snake (Smisek & Co) is gone, the body of the snake lives on in the same lower, middle, and even some upper management that worked under SMI/J. We are back into the miserable “Project Quality” days but with a positive spin put on it. There was short lived relief when Oscar first came on, but now with Kirby onboard the slashing has resumed with a vengeance. As much as I hate to say it, at least Uncle Jeff was upfront and we expected to get screwed left and right. Now the C suite blows smoke up everyone’s behind while tending to the same mission that was started under the previous CEO. IMHO UA has always been saddled with too many chiefs, if there are cuts that need to be made it should come from the bloated middle and upper management ranks. Instead UA will continue to make the pizza cheaper and cheaper until they find just above the point where people won’t pay for it anymore. It ain’t cardboard crust, but it’s getting closer every day.

These views above represent my personal opinion only and are not those of my employer or United Continental Holdings.

ua900

Wed May 09, 2018 2:51 am

United Airline wrote:
Go to:

What does this mean?

UA offers free meals in Y+ on Premium transcontinental service routes.

aer wrote:
aircountry wrote:

Region 1 basically. However, their choice menu fresh choices are of much higher quality then AA or DL, IMHO.

United Airline wrote:
aer wrote:
aircountry wrote:

UA provides free beer and wine on international flights. It does charge for hard liquor, just like AA, but unlike DL. Overall the US 3 are still pretty consistent. Try flying LH or KL between the US and region 1, good luck. Unless you're taking Air China from Houston to Panama or Air France from Miami to Port-au-Prince, it won't happen.

ual763 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

You do get a meal. It just may not be a nuked rubbery omelette. Now it will be sandwich, fruit tray and cheese plate.

:checkmark: I won't miss the omelette one bit. Even that cheerios / milk / banana / nuts / cranberry / yogurt tray was better than the omelette. As for NK, the buzzballs are just gross and the "cheese tray" can be had at any Kroger's for $2.99

MIflyer12 wrote:

That's because the premium cabin went to Classified in EWR before takeoff and enjoyed the nice and reasonable breakfast there, along with their 20% off. :rotfl:

GSPSPOT wrote:
Yes, I'm an airline geek, but a hot omelet with Bailey's & coffee at 30,000ft = bliss....

I don't like dark roast, so whether it's Fresh Poo or Illy, I'll still go with the double baileys on the rocks :champagne:

jetero wrote:
Bizarre change for F meals. I personally rarely eat them, but I know I'm in the minority, and the majority will have something new to (rightfully) complain about.

Agreed, but let's see how the new meals are before condemning them. It matters less and less. If you're flying out of SFO or IAH, you'll stop at the Centurion club anyway, if you're flying ex-EWR it's Classified, at DEN it's Timberline, at IAD it's TK lounge and at LAX it's pancakes at AS or *A lounge. That practically only leaves ORD as a domestic hub with a serious food gap, unless you like deep dish pizza or Nuts on Clark.

admanager

Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 am

davescj wrote:
I am surprised no one else seems to follow DL on free spirits in Y+, as well as premium snacks over a certain number of miles. .

AS does give 1 (and they are very strict on that) adult beverage in Y+ on each pass of the beverage cart in domestic, As for a premium snack on AS in Y+, you get a little box with a chocolate candy and a package with 6 gummi bears.

AirAfreak

Wed May 09, 2018 3:27 am

I am most certain these changes are the result of managing excessive provisioning/waste due to passenger behavior and preferences.

I am happy to keep the Stroopwaffle and lose the Tomato Juice, for example. The Bloody Mary mix will always be there for my morning tomato juice cravings.

Separately, I had no idea EWR-HNL does not offer a complimentary meal to Economy Passengers. It was also mentioned EWR-HNL stocks limited quantities of buy-on-board items available for purchase. This must be the longest flight in the world without complimentary meal service. Passengers making short-transfers won’t have the option to buy something at the airport, for example. Further, if the originating city of the connecting passenger had a departure time of 6am, for example, most or all food/beverage concessions are closed at the 4 and 5 o’clock hour.

alasizon

Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 am

AirAfreak wrote:
I am most certain these changes are the result of managing excessive provisioning/waste due to passenger behavior and preferences.

I am happy to keep the Stroopwaffle and lose the Tomato Juice, for example. The Bloody Mary mix will always be there for my morning tomato juice cravings.

There is a lot of provisioning waste across the board at the US3 but I can't imagine that Sprite Zero and Tomato Juice were causing much waste. Its not something that is never consumed, just rarely. AA has the same issue with Diet Mist Twist, so that solution is just order less.

That being said, the usage of Bloody Mary mix versus straight up tomato juice I would estimate at 5-to-1 but there are still those that want regular tomato juice and its not like removing three cans per drawer (or whatever UA stocked) is going to buy them that much more room for items that they actually need.

AirAfreak

Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 am

alasizon wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

There is a lot of provisioning waste across the board at the US3 but I can't imagine that Sprite Zero and Tomato Juice were causing much waste. Its not something that is never consumed, just rarely. AA has the same issue with Diet Mist Twist, so that solution is just order less.

That being said, the usage of Bloody Mary mix versus straight up tomato juice I would estimate at 5-to-1 but there are still those that want regular tomato juice and its not like removing three cans per drawer (or whatever UA stocked) is going to buy them that much more room for items that they actually need.

I don’t have the exact number of aircraft in service with UA, but in my headspace, I was imagining an airline with 100 aircraft as an example. With a minimum of 1 daily movement by each of the 100 aircraft, a single can of tomato juice gets stocked onto each aircraft daily for a single beverage service during a period of 30 days. That equates to approximately 3,000 cans of tomato juice per month or 36,000 cans per year. In my opinion, UA is making a sensible change to remove a single can of tomato juice (as per the article) to match supply with demand.

MartijnNL

Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 am

Three free meals on flights to Australia and no free meal between New York and Hawaii. That is really sad.

Last monday on my KLM flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam I got two tasty sandwiches and three drinks at no extra charge. The flight lasted about 1,5 hours. I am happy that 'my' airline still serves food and drinks in economy, even on short flights. I read that they are even expanding the service, providing hot meals again in economy on the longer European flights.

Sometimes Europe and the U.S. are really worlds apart.

AIR MALTA

Wed May 09, 2018 5:11 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Three free meals on flights to Australia and no free meal between New York and Hawaii. That is really sad.

Last monday on my KLM flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam I got two tasty sandwiches and three drinks at no extra charge. The flight lasted about 1,5 hours. I am happy that 'my' airline still serves food and drinks in economy, even on short flights. I read that they are even expanding the service, providing hot meals again in economy on the longer European flights.

The worst has to be British Airways. Only luke warm tap water is free in Economy shorthaul.

AirAfreak

Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 am

MartijnNL wrote:

Yes, we are approximately three worlds apart in terms of airline catering thanks to the 11-hour EWR-HNL flight being the world’s longest domestic flight without a complimentary meal. KLM is a lovely airline which I have thoroughly enjoyed for the handful of times I’ve flown with them. *^•^*

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 am

Most of my American friends don't seem to care. Asians and Europeans do.Why?

IADFCO

Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 am

The race to the bottom continues.

ryanov

Wed May 09, 2018 6:17 am

I've had trouble figuring out what Delta's real rule is about serving meals in F. They claim it's by distance, I've heard also it depends on the time of the day... but I've definitely been on flights where everyone was surprised there's no food.

And yeah, I'm someone who is likely to fly EWR-ATL-HNL or some other middle connection point to avoid United.

kordcj

Wed May 09, 2018 6:47 am

AirAfreak wrote:

I don’t think I’ve been on a flight with a Stroopwaffle in a good 4-6 months. I’m certain it disappeared when the pretzels showed up. They don’t even offer stroopwaffles in the snack basket line up. I asked about it a few surveys ago, but never heard anything.

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 am

Go to: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... n-food.jsp

Actually American Airlines offers free spirit on flights to and from Japan, Hong Kong, Sydney and Auckland.

Pbb152

Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 am

United Airline wrote:

Because most of us are OK with not drinking on flights or, alternatively, paying for a drink or two. And we don't have to stuff our faces with two sandwiches and three alcoholic drinks on a 1.5 hour flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam.

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 am

From what I heard from a UA flight attendant, when UA took away free alcohol completely in Y as well as hot meal onboard certain international flights, it was mainly Australians who complained a lot about this. Many Asians and Europeans too. Then free wine and beer came back.

doug_or wrote:
739er wrote:

Are we talking about a cold chicken salad or a hot entre?

Just wanted to know more about said prize and how it compares to UA F catering.

Does DL serve hot meals onboard transcon flights? AA?

Alcohol is not free in DL economy class within North America I guess?

doug_or

Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 am

739er wrote:

Are we talking about a cold chicken salad or a hot entre?

Just wanted to know more about said prize and how it compares to UA F catering.

AirAfreak

Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 am

United Airline wrote:

This we “don’t seem to care” perception is due to the low expectations we as American Consumers expect within the aviation marketplace. Additionally, I think Americans are grateful to have even two weeks of paid annual leave so the reduction of a service item is low on the list of battles to choose from, overall.

MartijnNL

Wed May 09, 2018 11:46 am

Pbb152 wrote:
Because most of us are OK with not drinking on flights or, alternatively, paying for a drink or two. And we don't have to stuff our faces with two sandwiches and three alcoholic drinks on a 1.5 hour flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam.

The flight left Stockholm at lunchtime. I think it is great that KLM serves you lunch at that time. I don't have to buy food and it saves me time, because I can eat and drink while being in the air. My drinks were non alcoholic. Beer and wine were an option, also free of charge, but I opted for something else.

I am not completely sure what "stuff our faces" means, but the food was very healthy. Whole grain bread and the eggs used came with a three star quality mark.

You can always decline the food and drinks offered to you. For me the included onboard catering is one of the reasons to choose KLM above Norwegian or SAS. Their higher number of daily flights compared to the competition is another reason. It gives you more flexibility when something goes wrong.

davescj

Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am

ryanov wrote:
I've had trouble figuring out what Delta's real rule is about serving meals in F. They claim it's by distance, I've heard also it depends on the time of the day... but I've definitely been on flights where everyone was surprised there's no food.

And yeah, I'm someone who is likely to fly EWR-ATL-HNL or some other middle connection point to avoid United.

DL seems to have taken the meal window times off the website, or at least I cannot find it currently, but traditionally the hours were:

B'fast/lunch is 5 - 130pm, supper 4-8 pm. Realistically, b'fast ened by 1030, but meals were basically 5 - 830/9 AM unless a fairly long flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos