jplatts
Topic Author

Dallas says it has a plan to resolve Southwest-Delta fight for Love Field gates

Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 pm

There is an article titled "Dallas says it has a plan to resolve Southwest-Delta fight for Love Field gates" published this morning that mentions that the City of Dallas has a proposed solution to the gate situation at DAL, and that article can be found at https://www.dallasnews.com/business/southwest-airlines/2018/05/07/new-city-plan-aims-resolve-southwest-deltas-love-field-gate-battle.

DL747400

Re: Dallas says it has a plan to resolve Southwest-Delta fight for Love Field gates

Mon May 07, 2018 12:30 pm

The "solution" mentioned in the above linked article is no solution at all. No realistic solution should ever include as a potential outcome the possibility that the gate in question could be returned to WN, period.

WN should never be allowed to grow at DAL beyond their current gate footprint. The remaining gates should be unassigned common use gates available to anyone except WN. If no one else wants to use them, then WN may be granted temporary squatting rights with a requirement to vacate on 30-days notice if another carrier wants to use them.

Come on City of Dallas.......Show some fortitude and offer a REAL solution! Don't be bullied by WN and their backroom tactics.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

WaywardMemphian

Re: Dallas says it has a plan to resolve Southwest-Delta fight for Love Field gates

Mon May 07, 2018 12:47 pm

The only solution is additional gates at Love and then a couple should be common use.

Someone is going to find gold at McKinney in the future with passenger air service.

sccutler

Mon May 07, 2018 1:12 pm

DL747400 wrote:
No realistic solution should ever include as a potential outcome the possibility that the gate in question could be returned to WN, period.

WN should never be allowed to grow at DAL beyond their current gate footprint. The remaining gates should be unassigned common use gates available to anyone except WN. If no one else wants to use them, then WN may be granted temporary squatting rights with a requirement to vacate on 30-days notice if another carrier wants to use them.

Gosh. That sounds pretty harsh!

Why?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

SumChristianus

Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Maybe DL/WN can split the AS/VX gates when they pull out (assuming they do) from DAL?
I know they've added West Coast capacity from DAL (AS) but pulling LGA/DCA makes it an endpoint only, and probably not sustainable (not that it ever was) in the long run.
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-SFO-IND UA A320/B739
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

nagpaw

Mon May 07, 2018 1:21 pm

DL747400 wrote:
No realistic solution should ever include as a potential outcome the possibility that the gate in question could be returned to WN, period.

WN should never be allowed to grow at DAL beyond their current gate footprint.

Absolutely, and well said! And Delta should never be allowed a single new gate beyond their current footprint in Atlanta as well.

My point is that your opinion seems grounded solely in emotion, understandable based on your username. Can you back up your opinion with some insight? I honestly don’t know all the details of this disagreement, and would love to hear your opinion.

enilria

Mon May 07, 2018 1:24 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Maybe DL/WN can split the AS/VX gates when they pull out (assuming they do) from DAL?
I know they've added West Coast capacity from DAL (AS) but pulling LGA/DCA makes it an endpoint only, and probably not sustainable (not that it ever was) in the long run.

That smells like exactly what is happening. AS just filed their flight cut in DAL this week. Timing is an amazing coincidence, no?
DL747400 wrote:

I've worried from the git-go of the AS lease of DCA/LGA slots to WN indicated a backdoor deal for WN to get the AS gates in DAL, or at least a share of their use, or a way to kick DL off the common use gates which also gives WN more gates

Frankly, DOT/FAA should simply deny AIP funds to DAL if DAL will not accommodate airlines wanting to operate there. That would fix things very quickly.

Cubsrule

Mon May 07, 2018 1:28 pm

nagpaw wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

Absolutely, and well said! And Delta should never be allowed a single new gate beyond their current footprint in Atlanta as well.

My point is that your opinion seems grounded solely in emotion, understandable based on your username. Can you back up your opinion with some insight? I honestly don’t know all the details of this disagreement, and would love to hear your opinion.

I think it makes perfect sense as a second best option (hopefully we all agree that adding 10 or 12 gates would be the best option). Let WN use the gates unless a new entrant wants them, and have a provision allowing for quick access for any new entrant who wants the gates.

My only concern with that sort of plan would be carriers squatting to prevent WN expansion, but the record strongly suggests that that will not happen. UA could have squatted and didn't. DL runs a fulsome schedule. AS/VX seem willing to work with WN to utilize various assets fully. What's wrong with his proposal?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

tphuang

Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 pm

I support any solution where wn doesn’t get use of those 2 gates. Dl seems like the best bet to get it to work. Since aa is not an option and ua is probably not interested. I don’t see any lcc that can profitably get fully utilize those 2 gates.

nagpaw

Mon May 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Cubsrule,

There’s nothing wrong with his option, as near as I can tell, except for the potential squatting that you mentioned. But it’s difficult to listen to someone’s opinion when it is apparently dictated by emotion and anger. (That’s why I don’t watch the likes of Fox News or MSNBC anymore.)

Again, I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong. I’d just like to see the basis for the stated opinion, so that I might learn something.

(Edited because I apparently can’t spell. Sorry.)

hiflyeras

Mon May 07, 2018 2:03 pm

It made sense for AS to drop the LGA/DCA flights from DAL and it'll be interesting to see if they try to hang on to what gates they have there. They don't have a goal of being a national carrier that goes everywhere. Their focus is to be the go-to airline to take travelers on the west coast to points east and serving both DAL and DFW from their hubs are part of that strategy. Their intention is to serve the major destinations requested from people living in SEA, SFO, PDX, LAX along with measured, sensible growth out of SAN and SJC. They seem to be nearly there with the VX acquisition and are going to concentrate the next couple of years on maturing newly added markets out of CA hubs...maybe even more flights to DAL.

lavalampluva

Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Didn't DAL used to have more gates, but then eliminated them, only to propose adding more gates? :confused:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

bob75013

Mon May 07, 2018 2:51 pm

nagpaw wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

DL shouldn't be allowed t expand at ATL or DTW or SLC.

Polot

Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Didn't DAL used to have more gates, but then eliminated them, only to propose adding more gates? :confused:

Yes, but DAL is currently restricted by law to a max of 20 gates.

RockIsland41

Mon May 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Looks like a half-baked "solution". Three years??? why bother w/the investment?

diverdave

Mon May 07, 2018 3:09 pm

bob75013 wrote:
DL shouldn't be allowed t expand at ATL or DTW or SLC.

Delta doesn't have 90% of the gates at any of those airports. WN has 90% of the gates at DAL.

Boof02671

Mon May 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Remember AA owns the AS/VS gates.

And DAL is covered by a separate law and that prevents the FAA from withholding funds.

ricport

Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm

What many on here seem to forget is that DAL is a unique animal, due to the Wright Amendment and subsequent legislation. The current DAL situation is the result of a nonstop series of stupidity. Wright was bad law and should have never been allowed to see the light of day. The DAL terminal should have been bulldozed the day DFW opened, and DAL should be a general aviation airport.

But, since neither of those happened, we’re left with WN being both victim and bully. Wright unfairly constrained WN (primarily) at DAL, but they have also gone above and beyond to maintain an ersatz monopoly there. Wright and all subsequent legislation needs to be eradicated immediately, once and for all. Barring that, if the Dallas powers that be had any backbone and weren’t in Gary’s pocket, they’d simply pass a law stating that no carrier can have more than 70% of traffic at DAL. That would shut the door once and for all on WN’s behavior and would allow competition to really have an opportunity to flourish. I wonder if NK or F9 made a real run at DAL if it might knock the almighty WN from their high horse?

Bobloblaw

Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Who will result in lower fares to MSP and DTW? DL or WN? Growing Delta at DAL wont lower fares, growing WN will.

Polot

Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm

ricport wrote:
What many on here seem to forget is that DAL is a unique animal, due to the Wright Amendment and subsequent legislation. The current DAL situation is the result of a nonstop series of stupidity. Wright was bad law and should have never been allowed to see the light of day. The DAL terminal should have been bulldozed the day DFW opened, and DAL should be a general aviation airport.

But, since neither of those happened, we’re left with WN being both victim and bully. Wright unfairly constrained WN (primarily) at DAL, but they have also gone above and beyond to maintain an ersatz monopoly there. Wright and all subsequent legislation needs to be eradicated immediately, once and for all. Barring that, if the Dallas powers that be had any backbone and weren’t in Gary’s pocket, they’d simply pass a law stating that no carrier can have more than 70% of traffic at DAL. That would shut the door once and for all on WN’s behavior and would allow competition to really have an opportunity to flourish. I wonder if NK or F9 made a real run at DAL if it might knock the almighty WN from their high horse?

It’s impossible to have a law stating that a carrier can’t have more than 70% of the traffic at DAL (or any airport). What if the competition doesn’t come and/or doesn’t flourish? Should WN then be punished and kicked out of the airport because they are carrying all the traffic? Oh but then the next largest carrier would have 70% of the traffic...so kick them out too?

The real solution is simple and obvious. Just eliminate any and all restrictions from DAL. If airlines want to expand service then the airport can build more gates and all this nonsense can be avoided. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is large enough now to support 2 airports.

ctrabs0114

Mon May 07, 2018 4:54 pm

ricport wrote:

But, you have DFW in the same catchment area, so it's not like WN is the only carrier flying into and out of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

kalvado

Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 pm

ricport wrote:

I still wonder if you consider DAL and DFW the same market?
If yes, this is the same market - then 100% single operator at DAL is a non-issue, as DFW is just a few miles away.
If no, those are separate markets - then we need criminal investigation into conspiracy of limiting city of Dallas access to air service. And you may be somewhat guilty here due to talking about bulldozing the terminal.
No, you cannot have the cake and eat it too. This is a "yes" or "no" question.

WN732

Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm

These laws that are stemming from an original set from 50 years ago need to be removed. There is no reason why DAL needs to be capped at 20 gates. Delta should be happy to be there at all since they were not part of the agreement between Dallas, Ft Worth, AA, and WN. And since WN has fought so hard for this airport, why shouldn't they have a majority share? This issue is ridiculous.

AirFiero

Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
It made sense for AS to drop the LGA/DCA flights from DAL and it'll be interesting to see if they try to hang on to what gates they have there. They don't have a goal of being a national carrier that goes everywhere. Their focus is to be the go-to airline to take travelers on the west coast to points east and serving both DAL and DFW from their hubs are part of that strategy. Their intention is to serve the major destinations requested from people living in SEA, SFO, PDX, LAX along with measured, sensible growth out of SAN and SJC. They seem to be nearly there with the VX acquisition and are going to concentrate the next couple of years on maturing newly added markets out of CA hubs...maybe even more flights to DAL.

This.

Why is it that people here are saying DAL must be more than an “endpoint” for AS? Did they declare an intention to create a hub or focus city? Did they ever say it is critical to their airlines future plans? Do any of the other AS destinations east of the Rockies have the requirement to be more than an end point or should be abandoned?

indcwby

Mon May 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Novice question for you: Which city has a better handle of traffic for a dual airport city? Dallas (DAL/DFW) or Houston (HOU/IAH)?
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

EA CO AS

Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 pm

I support whatever results in DL not getting a gate at DAL. Ever. :)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

777Mech

Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm

nagpaw wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

Why? No airline is restricted in the use of the CUTE gates in ATL. Every airline has been accomodated to this date with adequate gates. They may not be in the same concourse, but they have been accomodated. That's would not be the case in DAL.
Last edited by 777Mech on Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricport

Mon May 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Polot wrote:
ricport wrote:

It’s impossible to have a law stating that a carrier can’t have more than 70% of the traffic at DAL (or any airport). What if the competition doesn’t come and/or doesn’t flourish? Should WN then be punished and kicked out of the airport because they are carrying all the traffic? Oh but then the next largest carrier would have 70% of the traffic...so kick them out too?

The real solution is simple and obvious. Just eliminate any and all restrictions from DAL. If airlines want to expand service then the airport can build more gates and all this nonsense can be avoided. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is large enough now to support 2 airports.

Sure they can pass a law. If there's a law that caused KU to cease JFK-LHR service, they can pass one stating no carrier can have X% of traffic. And, if you read my entire post, you'd see that that's my first solution. If WN wants to have 50 gates, and as long as other carriers have access to DAL, I say let 'em. I'm just saying that in the current (ridiculous) wright-caused situation, if that's not possible, there needs to be some kind of real provision to ensure DAL is open to free and fair competition.

flyingclrs727

Mon May 07, 2018 5:29 pm

indcwby wrote:
Novice question for you: Which city has a better handle of traffic for a dual airport city? Dallas (DAL/DFW) or Houston (HOU/IAH)?

IAH and HOU are on opposite sides of downtown Houston, so they are more complementary to each other than existential threats. Back in 1989 there was talk of building a new commercial airport west of Houston near Katy to handle the growth of Houston's population. There was lots of opposition from rice farmers about the the loss of prime rice farming land (impossible to replace). It was also pointed out that lots of migratory birds fly through the area twice a year. The proposal rather quietly died.

ricport

Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

kalvado wrote:
ricport wrote:

If yes, this is the same market - then 100% single operator at DAL is a non-issue, as DFW is just a few miles away.
If no, those are separate markets - then we need criminal investigation into conspiracy of limiting city of Dallas access to air service. And you may be somewhat guilty here due to talking about bulldozing the terminal.
No, you cannot have the cake and eat it too. This is a "yes" or "no" question.

Ridiculous. first, had you read my entire post, you'd have seen I actually support first and foremost lifting Wright (and successors) to allow access to DAL to whoever wants it. I'm merely saying that if the pols don't have the backbone to do that, they should at least ensure all other carriers have fair access to DAL. WN doesn't own DAL. Thus, the city has an obligation to protect citizens against an unfair monopoly (i.e., antitrust).

If DAL & DFW are in the same market, why not just bulldoze DAL & mandate WN move to DFW (which has the space to accommodate/could be built on to accommodate WN? Daley did worse to Meigs Field... And if they're not, then why isn't WN's overwhelming presence at DAL a virtual monopoly?

ScottB

Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 pm

kalvado wrote:

I think that if we look at pricing data for non-stop markets from both airports, it would appear that the two are effectively a single market. Take DAL/DFW-MSY, for example (a market with dense service from both airports): WN's average fare of $146 for DAL-MSY is about 5% lower than the DFW-MSY market average of $154, and 11% lower than AA's average for DFW-MSY. WN's average fare of $151 for DAL-DEN is virtually identical to AA's $150 for DFW-DEN. WN's average fare for DAL-MDW is $159, 6% lower than the DFW-ORD market average and 15% lower than AA's average of $188 for DFW-ORD. Even to ATL, average fares are lower from DAL, even with more competitors (three vs. two) operating from DFW.

DL isn't even bringing in real fare competition as their DAL-ATL average fare is about 15% higher than WN's.

Polot wrote:

This is absolutely the solution if what we care about is free & open competition. It's ridiculous that DAL is the only airport in the U.S. with a federally-mandated cap on the number of gates which may exist -- and that cap is well below what the airfield can support, as well as being below the demand. WN isn't allowed to advocate for more gates than 20 as a condition of the Five-Party Agreement, but outside players like Delta (or Alaska, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc.) absolutely should!

osupoke07

Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

For a trip down memory lane, here is a presentation on the City of Dallas' website regarding the AA divestiture and Dallas' attempt to identify who Dallas should favor to win the AA gates.

The conclusion was that Southwest would provide the most benefit as they were proposing adding the most non-stop flights with the largest planes.
Granted, this was also before the sale of the United gates to Southwest, so at the time, Southwest "only" had 16 of the 20 gates.

http://dallascityhall.com/government/Co ... 042814.pdf
MD82, MD83, MD88, B717, B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, B739, B752, B763, B77W, CR2, CR7, CR9, A320

SPREE34

Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 pm

ricport wrote:
.............The current DAL situation is the result of a nonstop series of stupidity................

That right there says it all.

Looks like the stupidity will continue for the foreseeable future.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

11725Flyer

Mon May 07, 2018 9:44 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

I'm shocked. :)

INFINITI329

Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 pm

ricport wrote:
Sure they can pass a law. If there's a law that caused KU to cease JFK-LHR service

There was no law passed forcing KU to cease JFK-LHR route. The bowed to political pressure in the U.S.

deltal1011man

Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 pm

nagpaw wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

So you are saying that Delta 90% or more of the gates in Atlanta and there is no possible way any airline can expand?

To make your argument more creditable, compare apples to apples.

EA CO AS wrote:

I'm sure you do. Tried of getting beat up in Seattle and LA, don't want it coming to Dallas too.

Bobloblaw wrote:
Who will result in lower fares to MSP and DTW? DL or WN? Growing Delta at DAL wont lower fares, growing WN will.

Yes I also learned in high school economics that monopolies in the market place bring lower costs to the consumer

Seriously?

It's funny the same people saying stuff like the above were the ones screaming from to the roof tops to give Southwest all the slots they wanted at DCA/LGA during the Delta/US slot swap. Now the shoe is on the other foot and we like monopolies.

ScottB wrote:
kalvado wrote:

I think that if we look at pricing data for non-stop markets from both airports, it would appear that the two are effectively a single market. Take DAL/DFW-MSY, for example (a market with dense service from both airports): WN's average fare of $146 for DAL-MSY is about 5% lower than the DFW-MSY market average of $154, and 11% lower than AA's average for DFW-MSY. WN's average fare of $151 for DAL-DEN is virtually identical to AA's $150 for DFW-DEN. WN's average fare for DAL-MDW is $159, 6% lower than the DFW-ORD market average and 15% lower than AA's average of $188 for DFW-ORD. Even to ATL, average fares are lower from DAL, even with more competitors (three vs. two) operating from DFW.

DL isn't even bringing in real fare competition as their DAL-ATL average fare is about 15% higher than WN's.

Are you comparing just Y fares?

If not your data is painting an fake picture
With three classes of service Delta *should* have a higher average fare than Southwest.

ADrum23

Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 pm

The never ending Love Field drama continues.........

It all boils down to this, one of the following needs to happen in order to resolve this issue once and for all.

1. Lift all the remaining restrictions at Love Field (including the ban on international flights) and allow the airlines to build as many gates as they are willing to pay for or is physically possible.

2. Close DAL to commercial traffic and force everyone to move to DFW, where they can build all the gates they want.

Since I have a better chance of winning the lottery than the latter happening, only the first one is the more realistic solution. Why exactly again do they continue to insist on having the Wright restrictions at Love?

Cubsrule

Mon May 07, 2018 9:59 pm

nagpaw wrote:
Cubsrule,

There’s nothing wrong with his option, as near as I can tell, except for the potential squatting that you mentioned. But it’s difficult to listen to someone’s opinion when it is apparently dictated by emotion and anger. (That’s why I don’t watch the likes of Fox News or MSNBC anymore.)

Again, I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong. I’d just like to see the basis for the stated opinion, so that I might learn something.

(Edited because I apparently can’t spell. Sorry.)

How about these bases:

1) Facilities access for new entrants is - and long has been - a basic tenet of US aviation policy.

2) When airport facilities are scarce, we generally resolve fights for those facilities in favor of the carrier who is smaller in a particular market (I'm thinking of slots and route authorities here because that's where it typically comes up).

3) These priorities conflict with WN's stated and demonstrated commitment to DAL.

4) Therefore, we should let WN use the gates unless someone else wants them and can utilize them well, and in that case we ought to give that carrier a shot.

To me (somewhat of a WN fanboy), this is an easy case.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ScottB

Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
Are you comparing just Y fares?

If not your data is painting an fake picture
With three classes of service Delta *should* have a higher average fare than Southwest.

The fare comparison is in the aggregate, but it still doesn't change the fact that Delta isn't competing based on fares. They may be competing based on more differentiated product and may achieve better price discrimination in the market segments they target, but they're not in the DAL-ATL market to offer price competition.

Bobloblaw

Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
nagpaw wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

I'm sure you do. Tried of getting beat up in Seattle and LA, don't want it coming to Dallas too.

Yes I also learned in high school economics that monopolies in the market place bring lower costs to the consumer

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Who is going to lower fares to MSP and DTW, Delta or LUV. Your high economics class omitted the fact that a low cost monopolist is better than high cost competition. But if DL flies MSP/DTW-DAL and WN doesnt, well then you just have a high cost monopolist.

EA CO AS

Tue May 08, 2018 12:54 am

deltal1011man wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night; AS hasn't lost a single point of market share to DL in SEA, and has obviously grown substantially at LAX with the VX acquisition. I'm just tired of seeing a corporate bully get their way.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DL747400

Tue May 08, 2018 1:04 am

nagpaw wrote:
And Delta should never be allowed a single new gate beyond their current footprint in Atlanta as well. My point is that your opinion seems grounded solely in emotion, understandable based on your username. Can you back up your opinion with some insight? I honestly don’t know all the details of this disagreement, and would love to hear your opinion.

The last time I checked, ATL was not gate restricted. There are gates available to any airline which wants them and the existing ATL master plan continues to include various options for increasing the number of gates through at least 2030.

http://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... preads.pdf

DAL, on the other hand, is artificially capped at 20 gates (at least until common sense prevails and the law is changed). While the number of flights is not limited at DAL (at least not to my knowledge), the number of gates is capped at 20. The number of flights which can be operated from 20 gates is finite, so this rule essentially imposes an artificial restriction on flight operations. With WN already controlling 18+ gates and AS shrinking their DAL operations, there is little or no meaningful opportunity for any other carrier to offer competitive service. This is the basis for my argument that WN should not be allowed to expand their gate footprint at DAL beyond what it is today.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

capejet

Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 am

The 2 airports are so close, why not just bulldoze everything in between the 2 airports, rename it Dallas Fort Worth Love International Airport. Build new terminals and runways. Then Texas will be able to get bragging rights back from Colorado about who has the biggest airport by land mass!

IPFreely

Tue May 08, 2018 2:48 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night; AS hasn't lost a single point of market share to DL in SEA, and has obviously grown substantially at LAX with the VX acquisition. I'm just tired of seeing a corporate bully get their way.

Delta may act like a corporate bully but when do they ever get their way? From whining about the ME3 to collecting a $50,000,000 power outage reimbursement from Georgia Power, it seems like their bullying talk doesn't ever work. Perhaps a new strategy is needed.

LAXtoATL

Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 am

EA CO AS wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I’ll admit I have no idea what the market share numbers, but considering AS had a virtual monopoly in SEA and DL has set up a very large hub operation from basically nothing in the last 10 years, Delta has to taken share from somebody and who else could it come from other than AS?

freakyrat

Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 am

Folks the Dallas Love terminal is constrained for space unless you actually want to close down Rwy 18/36 and expand the terminal west towards the runup ramp. To the east you have the new parking garage and the Southwest provisions building plus Gulfstream Aerospace. There is simply no room to expand beyond the 20 gates.

KMCOFlyer

Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 am

freakyrat wrote:
Folks the Dallas Love terminal is constrained for space unless you actually want to close down Rwy 18/36 and expand the terminal west towards the runup ramp. To the east you have the new parking garage and the Southwest provisions building plus Gulfstream Aerospace. There is simply no room to expand beyond the 20 gates.

Runway 18/36 has been closed down for a few years now and is being turned into a taxiway. The current terminal could probably cram in two more gates (there is space on the end) without building any new concourse.

Tugger

Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 am

LAXtoATL wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

I’ll admit I have no idea what the market share numbers, but considering AS had a virtual monopoly in SEA and DL has set up a very large hub operation from basically nothing in the last 10 years, Delta has to taken share from somebody and who else could it come from other than AS?

Sorry, I know off topic but to address this issue, in truth Delta has made good gains and Alaska has lost some share:
Alaska Airlines lost ground to rival Delta Air Lines at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in July, according to the airport's latest passenger traffic report.

About 4.7 million passengers traveled through Sea-Tac in July, a drop of just under 1 percent versus 2016, the airport data shows.

Atlanta-based Delta grew its total passenger traffic at Sea-Tac by 8.2 percent in July, an increase of 85,952 people from the same period last year.

Passenger traffic for Alaska Air Group Inc., the parent of Alaska Airlines and its regional carrier Horizon Air, fell 3.9 percent, a drop of 82,146 passengers. The airline's newly acquired Virgin America affiliate boosted its passenger tally slightly by 1,114, or 2.1 percent, the data shows.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... olume.html

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Antarius

Tue May 08, 2018 4:36 am

ADrum23 wrote:
The never ending Love Field drama continues.........

It all boils down to this, one of the following needs to happen in order to resolve this issue once and for all.

1. Lift all the remaining restrictions at Love Field (including the ban on international flights) and allow the airlines to build as many gates as they are willing to pay for or is physically possible.

2. Close DAL to commercial traffic and force everyone to move to DFW, where they can build all the gates they want.

Since I have a better chance of winning the lottery than the latter happening, only the first one is the more realistic solution. Why exactly again do they continue to insist on having the Wright restrictions at Love?

#1 highlights a unique tenet of US aviation. Why does an airline need to build gates?

If we get airlines out of the airport industry, then all of a sudden it's a much more level playing field. There's less sunk cost fallacy involved.
2018 : AUA | CLT | IAH | HOU | DFW | COS | DEN | CLL | ORD | PVG | PEK | PHX | OAK | SFO | SJC | PHL | YYC | STL | DTW | HNL | OGG | JFK | LGA

Tugger

Tue May 08, 2018 5:01 am

Antarius wrote:
#1 highlights a unique tenet of US aviation. Why does an airline need to build gates?

If we get airlines out of the airport industry, then all of a sudden it's a much more level playing field. There's less sunk cost fallacy involved.

FIrst I will point out that a lot of airports do build their own expansions, renewals in hopes of attracting now operators and business,

But for those airports that serve desired locations, it is so that way airlines get to build gates if they wants to compete better and that airline bears the burden to succeed or lose that investment. Otherwise you have public entities trying to look good and "growing" at public cost and loss.

I actually like the, what you say is a unique tenet, concept that both the airport have skin in the game, the airline wants to recoup their investment and the airport doesn't want dead or under performing space.

Its not perfect put it works pretty well.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos