Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yonikasz
Topic Author

What's up with Spirit Airlines?

Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I recently flew NK from ORD to SEA. And I was pleased. Yes, the seats were tight, yes they nickle and dime you for everything, but the flight was so cheap. Like $150 RT. I am wondering what their plans for growth are and what people expect from them. I think they are beating F9 big time on being the ULLC of America. Would you conciser ORD a hub or focus city of sorts for them. I wonder how they will compete against the legacy carriers in major markets. Because WN isn't that cheap anymore.

Kronesian

Re: What's up with Spirit Airlines?

Thu May 03, 2018 7:03 pm

I flew MCO-DTW for 42 bucks RT two weeks ago. It's a really great option if you know how to use them properly. As long as they have cheap fares, people will continue to fly them.

TWA772LR

Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Spirit needs to merge with F9 and keep the Frontier name and call it a day.

evank516

Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm

I would say they have a pretty decent sized operation at ORD, probably bordering on a focus city.

TWA1985

Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm

They also have a pilot and flight attendant base at ORD.

msycajun

Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Spirit is becoming a formidable force now that they have a new pilot contract. They have made a lot of operational improvements and if they keep that up, they can beat the legacies on price and the other ULCCs on reliability. They are similar to WN in that they have a number of focus cities through which they route connections, (ORD, DTW, LAS, DFW, BWI, MCO...) with FLL being basically a hub. Even medium sized operations like MSY (at about 16 departures daily) see some connections. That's a big advantage over the other ULCCs when there are irregular ops. And unlike Frontier, they rarely cut any routes.

There are basically endless rumors about potential mergers and new fleets. F9 and the C Series being most common, but I've even heard talk of a 737 order, not that I put much stock into it. Although now that I think of it, Sun Country might be an easy target and could explain the 737 rumor.

freakyrat

Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 pm

I believe that a C-Series order may be in the works along with using them to serve secondary markets.

freakyrat

Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 pm

They are sorta becoming the new AirTran.

727LOVER

Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Also, 60 Minutes isn't up their butt....yet, people hate them Among the 20 most hated companies in America, they were among 2 airlines, the other being United

727LOVER

Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 pm

yonikasz wrote:
I Yes, the seats were tight,

Are you talking about width or legroom?
Were you in the BIG FRONT SEAT?

Pe@rson

Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Their latest investor relations document, out 1st May 2018: http://ir.spirit.com/static-files/ebfc8 ... ede27a5d19

PatrickZ80

Thu May 03, 2018 7:56 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

The problem with that is that Frontier is part of Indigo Partners which also owns Wizzair, Volaris and JetSmart. Of course it could just be that Indigo Partners buys Spirit, that way they own two LCCs in the USA. But do they have the money for that?

yonikasz
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 7:57 pm

727LOVER wrote:
yonikasz wrote:

I don't understand why on a narrow aisle plane the width would be significantly different. Why on a 737 or a318/19/20/21 would an airline shrink the width of the seats, it's gonna be 6 abrest regardless. So no the width was no different. The seat pitch is only 28" that's what was tight about it. Also, I just had a regular seat, no big front seat.

727LOVER

Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 pm

yonikasz wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
yonikasz wrote:

I don't understand why on a narrow aisle plane the width would be significantly different. Why on a 737 or a318/19/20/21 would an airline shrink the width of the seats, it's gonna be 6 abrest regardless. So no the width was no different. The seat pitch is only 28" that's what was tight about it. Also, I just had a regular seat, no big front seat.

I've never flown Spirit....I didn't know if BIG FRONT SEAT meant wider. I thought maybe those seats were 2-2 or something. I mean...they should call it MORE LEGROOM FRONT SEAT

yonikasz
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 8:22 pm

727LOVER wrote:
yonikasz wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I've never flown Spirit....I didn't know if BIG FRONT SEAT meant wider. I thought maybe those seats were 2-2 or something. I mean...they should call it MORE LEGROOM FRONT SEAT

The big front seats are 2 on each side.

Midwestindy

Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm

yonikasz wrote:
I think they are beating F9 big time on being the ULLC of America. Would you conciser ORD a hub or focus city of sorts for them. I wonder how they will compete against the legacy carriers in major markets. Because WN isn't that cheap anymore.

Spirit has found their niche in the ULCC market, I think F9 is still finding its footing. Considering some of their larger stations (ORD, LAS, DFW, e.t.c) are hubs for LCC/Legacy carriers, I think they hold their own very well.

RamblinMan

Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 am

Glad you had a good experience. I, too, was pleasantly surprised by them. You just have to consider the extra fees when comparing options. They're definitely less comfortable but for the right price it's not too bad, plus their big seats are a great value.

yonikasz wrote:

Their new seats are, in fact, narrower. You can see the difference on some of their older planes at the back where the fuselage tapers there are 3 rows of the newer style seats.

727LOVER wrote:

Dude, quit yelling.

ADrum23

Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 am

TWA772LR wrote:

More like Spirit absorbs Frontier, keeps the Spirit name and calls it a day. F9 is too erratic

F27500

Fri May 04, 2018 12:50 am

WE did a RT BDL-MYR on Spirit last year and expected it to be bad. It was pretty decent. Fare was amazing ($145 RT) and even though the seats were tight, they were perfectly OK for a 90 minute flight .. which ran on time both ways. Crews were nice, plane was clean.

That having been said, though .. I wouldn't wanna fly in the cramped seating on anything over a 2 hr flight .. and I thought the politely worded threats over the size of your carry on was a little tacky.

But would I fly them again? Yep -- in fact, I am in SEPT back to MYR.

Beechtobus

Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 am

ADrum23 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

More like Spirit absorbs Frontier, keeps the Spirit name and calls it a day. F9 is too erratic

Agreed. Frontier is in and out of markets very rapidly and just kind of seeing what sticks as it seems, much like Spirit was at one time. Spirit definitely seems to do very thorough due dilligence when opening new routes/markets as they seem to stick around much more and longer so then they used to. Frontier definitely seems to use the dartboard method of choosing new routes. I think Spirit definitely has more brand recognition, being the poster child of ultra cheap travel. I think Frontiers brand and name is still somewhat obscure outside of thier core markets.

I don’t think indigo is looking to acquire Spirit, once upon a time they had the controlling share of Spirit but have since IPOed them and sold thier control of the airline. Indigo are essentially restructurers, picking up at risk airlines on the cheap, reducing thier costs, improving thier revenue streams and then ipoing them or selling them. They already did thier work with Spirit and quite frankly likely couldn’t afford Spirit nor would they have any reason to buy them.

Sancho99504

Fri May 04, 2018 2:27 am

I honestly believe that NK has a lot of untapped potential. The "Big Front Seats" seem to be very popular, as do paying to reserve exit row seats or any others with additional legroom. I think with Bobby at the helm, you might see some changes to the Baldanza era.
I paid $122 to fly SEA-DFW and I was happy with the trip. I paid 4x that to fly back to SEA on AA. I liked the seatback IFE and power, but NK is sufficient. I'm even going to fly them to MCO in December.

santi319

Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 am

I feel later this year NK will roll out wifi and other perks.. thats when they truly be taken seriously as a Domestic and International carrier... they are just so behind at this point.

Worth nothing they are consistently #1 to #3 on time airlines and a pretty descent completion static since about 6 months ago.

southwest1675

Fri May 04, 2018 2:42 am

Hope to see them in Nashville in the near future.

AMollenhauer9

Fri May 04, 2018 2:51 am

santi319 wrote:
I feel later this year NK will roll out wifi and other perks.. thats when they truly be taken seriously as a Domestic and International carrier... they are just so behind at this point.

Worth nothing they are consistently #1 to #3 on time airlines and a pretty descent completion static since about 6 months ago.

I have also heard wifi is the next thing coming to Spirit.

harleydriver

Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 am

As a resident of MYR for about a year now I use them at times. The people I have seen getting upset are the people that didn't understand what they were buying for a cheap fare and think they are getting full service perks at a low price. I used them from ACY to MYR quite a bit just before I moved here and have done MYR to EWR a few times to visit family. I have no complaints whatsoever when I know what I am getting for pennies compared to UA, AA or DL.

treetreeseven

Sat May 05, 2018 2:39 am

Also, if you search up "plane fights" on YouTube, Spirit has the best, no contest. #justsayin

freakyrat

Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 am

treetreeseven wrote:
Also, if you search up "plane fights" on YouTube, Spirit has the best, no contest. #justsayin

Passenger mutinys requiring the presence of airport police were a weekly occurrence for Spirit at DFW. Most were due to the ill trained contract ground personell from ATS who handlle Spirit.

NWADTWE16

Sat May 05, 2018 4:05 am

Having worked for NK back in 1996/97 when we have maybe 6 DC-9s in that blue and white scheme with the horrible logo, and were just getting our first MD80 as I left, I can say I am thoroughly shocked at Spirits growth. They were timed perfectly for what Americans wanted I guess, with flat wages, and millenials leading the "vacation travel" explosion, they created, then grew a market they then owned. From DTW at least they have a huge fan base. Remember before FLL they were a DTW charter and then DTW based , scheduled airline. People from there have been flying NK to ACY/MYR/BOS/FLL/RSW/MCO for years.
This new Spirit is winning people over with fares yes, but also news planes with a clear, sleek interior. Black was a smart move. There was rumor they would remove "Big Front Seats" but clearly they rethought that one, and now I agree it could be grown into more revenue by adding some more.

Personally, I feel Frontier is doing just as well, granted they are frustrating with the non-daily, and seasonal issues, but they are behind Spirit as a ULCC and are learning quickly I suspect. I've always enjoyed my flights with F9, their interiors are beautiful, great crews, new planes. The animal aspect goes over quite well, especially with families and all children. Lastly I've said it before and I will say it again, buying the "works" on F9 automatically makes your ticket refundable!!! There is just no offer like that in todays industry.

Success for both carriers would benefit the entire scene.

GSPSPOT

Sat May 05, 2018 4:24 am

I know they're big at ORD just down the road, but would love to see them come to MKE & show F9 (and maybe WN?) what's what.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos