Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwest1988
Topic Author

Question about N880DP

Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Hello all,

I recently saw an MD-80 tail number N880DP at GSP. It flew in the Miami Hurricanes baseball team. I saw it still had the original DC-9 style pointed tail cone. Is this the last MD-80 with the original style tail cone in the United States? The last time I saw one was an Allegiant plane back in 2008 I believe. I would have figured all remaining MD-80s would have had the new style tail cone installed by now.

Thank you!

tjwgrr

Re: Question about N880DP

Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Northwest1988 wrote:
Hello all,

I recently saw an MD-80 tail number N880DP at GSP. It flew in the Miami Hurricanes baseball team. I saw it still had the original DC-9 style pointed tail cone. Is this the last MD-80 with the original style tail cone in the United States? The last time I saw one was an Allegiant plane back in 2008 I believe. I would have figured all remaining MD-80s would have had the new style tail cone installed by now.

Thank you!

N880DP is the aircraft the Detroit Pistons use, owned by Roundball LLC out of Waterford, MI. Evidently they charter it out when not in use for the Pistons.

gdg9

Re: Question about N880DP

Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 pm

I didn't realize they had traded out the old DC-9 which was also N880DP. Got a pic of it at MSP in 2010.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos