Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 5/18 : Mayflying

Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am

Welcome parties greet emigrants home to vote at Dublin Airport
‘I am going to really struggle to come back if it’s a No vote,’ says returned emigrant

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroa ... -1.3507726

---

Next Shannon airport run will be the last

THE final Runway Run at Shannon Airport takes place at midnight on Friday June 22.

The event offers one final opportunity to participate in the country’s favourite and original Runway Run, five years after Shannon held the very first event of its kind in Ireland.

www.limerickpost.ie/2018/05/24/shannon-airport-run/

---

Belfast International Airport 'sorry' for further security delays

Belfast International Airport has apologised to passengers for delays at security, describing the situation as "an unacceptable standard of service".

The latest of what have been recurring problems happened on Monday morning.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44202835

EI321

Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am

Nice to see another (Lauda) airline start a route.

Any news on the supposed Aeroflot route?

Interesting the Emirates are insisting that the DAA operate terminal 3, I wonder is this just backscratching.

I'm beginning to think that the most realistic location for terminal 3 from a planning point of view would actually be the location that currently houses the Dublin aerospace and associated hangers. A small (Say 8-10 million capacity) terminal 3 located there would be very doable in terms of the using the existing road network that was redone when Terminal 2 opened, plus it would be more accessible to the metro when (or if) it actually opens. It would also make pier D more accessible, and there would essentially be a matching pier built in the location of the existing hangars (The EI hangar should be kept), and the excess capacity in terminal 1 could be filled by the proposed redesign and extension of pier A There is a plan to relocate cargo to a remote location so those old hangers could also move, This would probably be the most cost effective solution in the medium term.

Obviously a fourth terminal would still be needed eventually, but that will be a 10+ years horizon project and will be much more expensive if done properly (ie €1 billion+) when all the associated infrastructure is taken into account.

HTCone

Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 am

EI321 wrote:
Nice to see another (Lauda) airline start a route.

Any news on the supposed Aeroflot route?

Interesting the Emirates are insisting that the DAA operate terminal 3, I wonder is this just backscratching.

I'm beginning to think that the most realistic location for terminal 3 from a planning point of view would actually be the location that currently houses the Dublin aerospace and associated hangers. A small (Say 8-10 million capacity) terminal 3 located there would be very doable in terms of the using the existing road network that was redone when Terminal 2 opened, plus it would be more accessible to the metro when (or if) it actually opens. It would also make pier D more accessible, and there would essentially be a matching pier built in the location of the existing hangars (The EI hangar should be kept), and the excess capacity in terminal 1 could be filled by the proposed redesign and extension of pier A There is a plan to relocate cargo to a remote location so those old hangers could also move, This would probably be the most cost effective solution in the medium term.

Obviously a fourth terminal would still be needed eventually, but that will be a 10+ years horizon project and will be much more expensive if done properly (ie €1 billion+) when all the associated infrastructure is taken into account.

IIRC, the ground underneath those old hangars is absolutely saturated with really really nasty stuff from aircraft maintenance before environmental protection or health and safety were a thing. It would be unbelievably expensive to dig foundations there I was told by someone in DAA years ago.

leghorn

Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

HTCone wrote:
IIRC, the ground underneath those old hangars is absolutely saturated with really really nasty stuff from aircraft maintenance before environmental protection or health and safety were a thing. It would be unbelievably expensive to dig foundations there I was told by someone in DAA years ago.

It seems like the perfect justification to put an underground car park in there just like at Terminal 2 in Frankfurt.
The underground car park in frankfurt is for short term and hire car usage and it is really the perfect configuration for an airport terminal as you just take a lift to get to your car.

OA260

Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 am

Stansted plane collision: Ryanair flight carrying Irish voters home for abortion referendum struck by jet on taxiway

'I have a lot of friends who are very emotional today and they could do with the support. It's not ideal to be here,' says passenger after collision

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news ... 68641.html

shamrock350

Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 pm

EI-GAJ returned from SFO yesterday, missing a winglet of course. It's back in service today, currently operating EI109 to JFK so unless Aer Lingus has a few spare winglets hanging around I'm guessing 'GAJ will be flying wingletless for a few weeks.

JAmie2k9

Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 pm

[
shamrock350 wrote:
EI-GAJ returned from SFO yesterday, missing a winglet of course. It's back in service today, currently operating EI109 to JFK so unless Aer Lingus has a few spare winglets hanging around I'm guessing 'GAJ will be flying wingletless for a few weeks.

They have one (or got one), get fitted on one of spare days, all required today. There is only 12 required tomorrow so maybe as soon as then. Mid week at latest I would say.

OA260

Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 pm

No Dublin increase for Emirates due to airport difficulties

Enda Corneille, head of Emirates airlines in Ireland, has said that plans to increase the number of flights from two a day to three are on hold due to issues with Dublin Airport.
He said that Emirates had a very good relationship with the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA), but that it needed new infrastructure.
"There are a number of pain points already in T2," he said. "One of which is around the US customs. We believe that can be sorted through more intensive security technology to smooth people through.

"The other pain point, which also doesn't affect Emirates, is that 6am to 7.30 window in the morning where the short-haul carriers need to get the first wave out on time."
He expressed surprise that the chief executive of the DAA, Dalton Philips, feels that Dublin can accommodate almost double the number of passengers it currently carries.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-du ... 50009.html

---

It's cost €60k this year to have the army help out when US military planes land at Shannon Airport

THE COST of having the Defence Forces attend Shannon Airport this year to deal with US military aircraft landings is €59,162.24, according to the latest figures.
Since 2003, the gardaí has been allowed to request support from the army at the airport, said Junior Minister for Defence, Paul Kehoe

www.thejournal.ie/shannon-airport-us-fl ... 6-May2018/

AmricanShamrok

Mon May 28, 2018 8:35 am

Why is EK concerned about queues at US Preclearance? They should have little or no passengers connecting onto US flights? They'd be better suited in T1 in my opinion - keep T2 for EI and US Preclearance airlines.

JAmie2k9

Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 am

I guess the cut from 2 to 3 class last August was because it was generating to many passengers at DUB!

Reality is yes a morning service wouldn't be ideal with T2 but Im sure CX and QR dumping lots of capacity means a third has been delayed more than capacity.

eicvd

Mon May 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Flew with AC to YYZ & back in the last 10 days. Can’t say I’m in a rush to fly with them again, on the outbound quite a few IFE screens weren’t working, a reboot or 2 didn’t help. Flight back last night the whole system wasn’t working but at least they gave us notice before boarding, may as well just use Rouge on this route! Quite a healthy load factor on both legs too, the outbound had many connecting to YYC.

alancostello

Mon May 28, 2018 4:50 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Why is EK concerned about queues at US Preclearance? They should have little or no passengers connecting onto US flights? They'd be better suited in T1 in my opinion - keep T2 for EI and US Preclearance airlines.

As far as I’m aware only T2 has gates big enough for a 77W

JAmie2k9

Mon May 28, 2018 6:07 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
alancostello wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

As far as I’m aware only T2 has gates big enough for a 77W

EY and ET have had the B777 at 300 gates, I believe before there were issues but not now.

AmricanShamrok

Mon May 28, 2018 9:04 pm

I note EI has been leasing a 733 (EI-STA) from ASL Airlines Ireland for its BHD-FAO and BHD-AGP routes for at least the last week.

OA260

Mon May 28, 2018 9:08 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I note EI has been leasing a 733 (EI-STA) from ASL Airlines Ireland for its BHD-FAO and BHD-AGP routes for at least the last week.

Yes saw one land when I was up there last week.

JAmie2k9

Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

For the full season.

OA260

Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

Over 50,000 expected to travel through Cork Airport across June Bank Holiday weekend
Over 50,000 passengers are expected to travel through Cork Airport across the June Bank Holiday weekend, a 4% increase on the same period last year.

The weekend will also see the commencement of seven summer season routes, to destinations across France, Spain and Italy.Six Ryanair routes will kick off this weekend from Cork Airport with Ryanair serving Milan-Bergamo, Girona, Carcassonne, Reus, Alicante and Bordeaux; while Iberia Express commences direct flights to Madrid and beyond across their network.

www.breakingnews.ie/business/over-50000 ... 45498.html

KIRFlyer

Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm

I mean't to post this last week: https://news.sky.com/video/aer-lingus-p ... e-11380801 Nice bit of promo work :)

Also, does anyone have an up to date gate map of Dublin Airport? Looking on the website and struggling. I found this one: https://www.ifly.com/dublin-airport/DUB-Terminal-1

I was chatting to my sister and she flew to PRG with EI on Sunday and she said she departed from gate 358. I think she is wrong, or is there such a gate at DUB. She also said she got bussed to the A320 for the PRG flight.

EI321

Tue May 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Does that leased 733 have any EI logos on it?

embraer420

Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
pompos wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
Laudamotion, in which Ryanair has a 24.9pc stake, is to start services from Dublin Airport to Vienna from October 28.
The daily service will pit it against Aer Lingus on the route, with Laudamotion flights departing Dublin at 14.05 hours and departing Austria at 16.15 hours.

Is the plane based in Dublin? If so it sounds like a Ryanair is flying for Laudamotion. A way to get some incentives from Dublin Airport?

Nope, it’s a VIE based aircraft. (Schedules vary according to the day). Good to finally have competition for EI on this route.

Did FR ever serve this route?

Skyblue39

Tue May 29, 2018 4:59 pm

embraer420 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
pompos wrote:
Is the plane based in Dublin? If so it sounds like a Ryanair is flying for Laudamotion. A way to get some incentives from Dublin Airport?

Nope, it’s a VIE based aircraft. (Schedules vary according to the day). Good to finally have competition for EI on this route.

Did FR ever serve this route?

No, FR never served VIE before. This new route will be an A320.

JAmie2k9

Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
I mean't to post this last week: https://news.sky.com/video/aer-lingus-p ... e-11380801 Nice bit of promo work :)

Also, does anyone have an up to date gate map of Dublin Airport? Looking on the website and struggling. I found this one: https://www.ifly.com/dublin-airport/DUB-Terminal-1

I was chatting to my sister and she flew to PRG with EI on Sunday and she said she departed from gate 358. I think she is wrong, or is there such a gate at DUB. She also said she got bussed to the A320 for the PRG flight.

Sounds like Gate 335 and they add A-D after to determine which gate the departure will go from the new S Gates. There is 305B but that dons't require a bus.

Skyblue39

Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 pm

CX301 the inaugural HKG flight arrives in Dublin 06:45 on Saturday. It has over 5 hours on the ground in Dublin. Will it remain at the gate for that entire time or be towed to a remote parking stand then brought back to gate for the 11:55 departure?

JAmie2k9

Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
CX301 the inaugural HKG flight arrives in Dublin 06:45 on Saturday. It has over 5 hours on the ground in Dublin. Will it remain at the gate for that entire time or be towed to a remote parking stand then brought back to gate for the 11:55 departure?

Should be off stand, those 300 gates are needed for second wave of EI arrivals as well as the usual operators.

OA260

Tue May 29, 2018 10:12 pm

EI321 wrote:
Does that leased 733 have any EI logos on it?

No not that I could see .

KIRFlyer

Wed May 30, 2018 8:30 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Sounds like Gate 335 and they add A-D after to determine which gate the departure will go from the new S Gates. There is 305B but that dons't require a bus.

Thank you for this explanation. Those gates, which are tucked away down here, are these gates numbered 331-335? I've used them many a time recently to fly to KIR. I noticed that it was always ATR's to CFN, GLA, MAN ect. departing. Do EI use these gates for A320 departures also? Is it also these gates that one gets a bus to the new S gates from? If so, how does the gate appear on screens in the departure lounge? Are the S gates numbered?

OA260

Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am

Aer Lingus to hire 20 aircraft engineering apprentices this year

Airline doubling its intake of apprentices, and hopes to get more female applicants

Aer Lingus will double the number of aircraft engineering apprentices it hires this year to 20, and hopes to get more female applicants for the jobs.

The airline began campaigning to recruit aircraft maintenance and engineering apprentices on Tuesday. Aer Lingus wants to hire 20 trainees this time around, compared to 10 last year. Three of last year’s intake were female.

The apprenticeship scheme is a four-year programme based in Shannon and Dublin Institute of Technology, run in conjunction with training body Solas.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3512936

JAmie2k9

Wed May 30, 2018 9:10 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Thank you for this explanation. Those gates, which are tucked away down here, are these gates numbered 331-335? I've used them many a time recently to fly to KIR. I noticed that it was always ATR's to CFN, GLA, MAN ect. departing. Do EI use these gates for A320 departures also? Is it also these gates that one gets a bus to the new S gates from? If so, how does the gate appear on screens in the departure lounge? Are the S gates numbered?

There is 331-337 now and yes its all EI Regional, EI South Gates (always 335 + A-F).

KIRFlyer

Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Laudamotion, in which Ryanair has a 24.9pc stake, is to start services from Dublin Airport to Vienna from October 28.
The daily service will pit it against Aer Lingus on the route, with Laudamotion flights departing Dublin at 14.05 hours and departing Austria at 16.15 hours.

Ryanair has agreed an option with Niki Lauda that could see it take full ownership of the Laudamotion leisure airline in four years, the company said today. Ryanair is waiting for European regulatory approval to take a 75% stake in the re-branded former Niki airline, the remains of which the former Formula One star bought out of insolvency earlier this year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0 ... ion-stake/

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 am

Here's a link to our new thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1395511

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos