Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a19901213

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2018

Thu May 03, 2018 12:40 am

Should Qantas convert some of those options to 787-10 order, I wonder how many seats they can fit in the cabin.

They probably won’t install PE so I’m thinking somewhere near SQ’s 787-10. (337 seats or less)

smi0006

Thu May 03, 2018 12:46 am

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Qantas has suspended all future growth international plans out of PER until there is a resolution on the PER-JNB flight

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... ion-plans/

Good on Qantas for playing hard ball on this.... Perth airport seems to be so damn inflexible!

So as an airport you want more services and increase in tourism, yet Perth airport must think they can make money from DFO/Costco and parking.

I wonder how the ASA is structured? Perhaps by QF shifting their operations to their own terminal it means all other carriers are forced to pick up a greater share of fixed costs and investment based costs of the international terminal- making future investment unviable? Then QF would swoop in once everyone else has paid for the expansion- not that I agree with PAPLs position by any stretch, trying to find some logic to it. Be interesting to know more around these details-

This is the problem with Australian airports - they expect carriers to start paying for future capital works, before construction has even started - yet alone the asset is ready to be used!! Same challenge carriers have in Melbourne, they will start paying increased fees this year to support the new runway... when it won’t be finished for years... and only supports future growth, helpful for larger carriers or new entrants - not so helpful for smaller players we won’t expand too much but still foot the bill so early.

smi0006

Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 am

a19901213 wrote:
Should Qantas convert some of those options to 787-10 order, I wonder how many seats they can fit in the cabin.

They probably won’t install PE so I’m thinking somewhere near SQ’s 787-10. (337 seats or less)

I’m hopeful this will occurs for the next batch of options to expire! Be perfect for HND,NRT,HKG - could they reach SFO,YVR? If so perhaps PE could work?

a7ala

Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 am

getluv wrote:
BITRE figures for February are out. https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

- QR's SYD-CBR-SYD flights probably only have 20-50 pax on it.

Interesting to see the improvement in SIN-CBR-WLG over the second year of operation (noting the WLG service switch to MEL happens tomorrow). CBR-SIN sector operating at average LF=85% Oct-Feb vs 83% last year, and CBR-WLG 73% vs 63% last year.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 am

getluv wrote:
BITRE figures for February are out. https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

Some really high load factors out there for what is meant to be a quiet month. The figures really underscore that:

- Perth Airport is protecting SA. The numbers for Batik are even worse (average 33% LF)

Loking at the oubound for Batik it was only 25% load factor, wonder how long they will be around until they pull the plug

QF SYD-SCL was impressive and 95% load factor each way

smi0006

Thu May 03, 2018 1:09 am

qf789 wrote:
getluv wrote:

Some really high load factors out there for what is meant to be a quiet month. The figures really underscore that:

- Perth Airport is protecting SA. The numbers for Batik are even worse (average 33% LF)

Loking at the oubound for Batik it was only 25% load factor, wonder how long they will be around until they pull the plug

I wonder how SCL yield is? Or where connections are too? If this route becomes a 789 after going daily - perhaps we can see another South American route opened? SYD-GRU, or MEL/BNE-SCL?

bunumuring

Thu May 03, 2018 1:22 am

[s[/s]
smi0006 wrote:
I wonder how SCL yield is? Or where connections are too? If this route becomes a 789 after going daily - perhaps we can see another South American route opened? SYD-GRU, or MEL/BNE-SCL?

I remember Alan Joyce speaking about Sydney-Rio/-Sao Paolo flights around the time of the Project Sunrise launch.
I think that an additional South American destination may be a little way off for QF (with nonstop Europe and North America flights taking priority) and that we are more likely in the mid/long term to have Aerolineas Argentinas return to Sydney and perhaps even Avianca starting flights from Lima : there was a discussion about this possibility in a thread on a.net a little while ago.
Then of course, there's the prospect of Norwegian starting Buenos Aires-Australia flights! Unlikely I think but possible with their application for flight rights. Their Argentinian expansion seems to be on hold for the minute however....

Cheers,
Bunumuring
Last edited by bunumuring on Thu May 03, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

getluv

Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 am

QF buy quite a few seats off LA for themselves and vice versa.

Chances of AR and AV starting services are remote. AR have NZ, and AV barely have a long haul fleet.

CraigAnderson

Thu May 03, 2018 8:02 am

As yesterday's press conference to announce its order of six more Boeing 787-9s, did Alan Joyce comment on where those were likely to be based? I haven't read it anywhere and can't believe that none of the 'aviation journalists' attending this would not have had sense to ask this obvious question. Will they be split between MEL and BNE or maybe added to a new 787 base for SYD?

CraigAnderson

Thu May 03, 2018 8:03 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas has suspended all future growth international plans out of PER until there is a resolution on the PER-JNB flight

Smart move by Alan Joyce. There is no reason for PER to be so intransigent on this, surely QF growing the local market is in the best interests of Perth.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
As yesterday's press conference to announce its order of six more Boeing 787-9s, did Alan Joyce comment on where those were likely to be based? I haven't read it anywhere and can't believe that none of the 'aviation journalists' attending this would not have had sense to ask this obvious question. Will they be split between MEL and BNE or maybe added to a new 787 base for SYD?

No base has been mentioned yet though you would think some if not all would be based at SYD considering some of these frames will be replacing 744's

ZK-NBT

Thu May 03, 2018 8:18 am

smi0006 wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

I’m hopeful this will occurs for the next batch of options to expire! Be perfect for HND,NRT,HKG - could they reach SFO,YVR? If so perhaps PE could work?

The 787-10 As is is no where near reaching SFO/YVR. Great as you say for Asia.

CraigAnderson wrote:

They are replacing 744’s, they would have to be SYD based otherwise QF have nothing other than the A380 in SYD to cover long haul flying to SCL/JNB/SFO.

XAM2175 wrote:
angusjt wrote:
Good to see a 787 top-up, is it possible we could see SYD-HND become an a380?, the 787 seems too small for that route.

This is under discussion in the dedicated thread but it seems at this point it is unlikely as HND does not permit scheduled A388 movements and has several operational characteristics that make lifting those restrictions difficult.

I thought they didn’t permit them during daylight hours or something, QF are on the ground from 0500-2200.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 am

Tigerair industrial action has been called off for this weekend after an agreement had been reached

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... agreement/

qf789
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

Two QF 737's were involved in a runway incursion at PER last Saturday

VH-XZM operating QF567 SYD-PER landing on Runway 3 exited onto taxiway J2 and was told to report to hold short of Runway 6. The aircraft crossed the hold point line of taxiway J2 prompting the tower to tell the departing aircraft on runway 6 VH-VZL operating QF582 PER-SYD to stop immediately

ATSB is currently investigating

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... at-448285/

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b811e7b&opt=0

SYDSpotter

Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am

getluv wrote:

Wow, that's woeful for CBR. I'm wondering if it's lunchtime departure out of CBR which is hurting it vs SQ's 11pm (10pm on the old SQ 292 service)? Or is it just the fact that SQ can connect ex CBR pax to both Asia/Europe, whereas QR is really only about Europe?

Either way, if the ex SYD passengers are picking the remaining slack, QR isn't going to be too concerned with the short hop to/from CBR with a light load.

Obzerva

Thu May 03, 2018 12:06 pm

SYDSpotter wrote:
getluv wrote:

Wow, that's woeful for CBR. I'm wondering if it's lunchtime departure out of CBR which is hurting it vs SQ's 11pm (10pm on the old SQ 292 service)? Or is it just the fact that SQ can connect ex CBR pax to both Asia/Europe, whereas QR is really only about Europe?

Either way, if the ex SYD passengers are picking the remaining slack, QR isn't going to be too concerned with the short hop to/from CBR with a light load.

As much as QR say it's all about CBR, I think we can safely say (as we all knew), it was about getting a second SYD frequency.

Qf648

Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Smart move by Alan Joyce. There is no reason for PER to be so intransigent on this, surely QF growing the local market is in the best interests of Perth.

That will change with Perth airports new CEO for better or worse. I suspect better, but Alan better bring his a game there.

qf002

Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Does anybody know why QF is electing to run double daily A380s on SYD-SIN between 03-26 August rather than extending the HKG service (which returns between 29 June and 02 August)?

NTLDaz

Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 pm

qf789 wrote:
getluv wrote:

High load factors to Chile in February are to be expected. February is the main month in Chile for people to take their holidays so a lot of Chilean - Australians head 'home'. Airfares are usually crazy - like 3000 return.

CHI2DFW

Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Rham is desperately ready to deliver a welcoming speach. Make him sweat it out or wait years!

downdata

Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Not sure picking a fight with an airport is a great idea. Qantas will likely not survive another one or two economic cycles. Perth airport sure as hell would be there forever.

smi0006

Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 pm

qf789 wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:
The new SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN service (SQ 288) started today. I fly out on SQ288 on Friday night, so it'll be interesting to see the loads and the proportion of passengers ex SYD vs ex CBR.

This is what was served in Business class tonight on its short flight to CBR

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/991290410147332097

Be interesting to see what QR serve- do both SQ and QR crews return to SYD? Or does SQ now continue to SIN? And QR overnight in CBR?

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:
The new SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN service (SQ 288) started today. I fly out on SQ288 on Friday night, so it'll be interesting to see the loads and the proportion of passengers ex SYD vs ex CBR.

This is what was served in Business class tonight on its short flight to CBR

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/991290410147332097

Be interesting to see what QR serve- do both SQ and QR crews return to SYD? Or does SQ now continue to SIN? And QR overnight in CBR?

SQ operates SIN-SYD-CBR-SYD while QR operates DOH-SYD-CBR-SYD-DOH

CraigAnderson

Fri May 04, 2018 12:19 am

"Virgin Australia sets 50-50 gender target for its Pilot Cadetship Program as applications open today for its 2018 program" according to press release. "Virgin Australia has today announced a target of an equal intake of males and females for its 2018 Pilot Cadetship program, ensuring female representation is increased in male-dominated areas of the aviation industry. The announcement comes as Virgin Australia today launches the next round of recruitment for its Pilot Cadetship Program."

DeltaB717

Fri May 04, 2018 12:21 am

QR crew operate DOH-SYD, stay 24 hours in SYD then operate SYD-CBR-SYD, stay another 24 hours in SYD then return to DOH. So, for example, the crew that arrived in SYD on QR906 today, will operate SYD-CBR-SYD tomorrow, and will return to DOH on Sunday 's QR907. I don't know how SQ crewing works now that SQ291/292 has made way for SQ288, but I believe they were operating a similar pattern for CBR and WLG.

SQ certainly does have the opportunity to feed to Asia and the subcontinent, as well as Europe and Africa, whereas both Asia and the subcontinent are a significant backtrack from DOH - and who would choose to do that, particularly given the stop in SYD. I don't think the timing plays into it too much for people travelling beyond Asia, to be honest (either way, part of the journey is likely to be a daytime flight). I wonder if parts of QR's trouble are that (a) they're not really friendly with QF and therefore there's no real incentive for QFF members to choose QR and (b) a number of their secondary European cities are operated on a split schedule, so it can be hit and miss as to whether the connections to those cities is convenient on any given day.

CraigAnderson

Fri May 04, 2018 1:01 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
I don't know how SQ crewing works now that SQ291/292 has made way for SQ288, but I believe they were operating a similar pattern for CBR and WLG.

I heard that SQ288 crew does SIN-SYD as one shift, then SYD-CBR-SIN as their next shift.

Sydscott

Fri May 04, 2018 1:11 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
angusjt wrote:
Good to see a 787 top-up, is it possible we could see SYD-HND become an a380?, the 787 seems too small for that route.

This is under discussion in the dedicated thread but it seems at this point it is unlikely as HND does not permit scheduled A388 movements and has several operational characteristics that make lifting those restrictions difficult.

I thought they didn’t permit them during daylight hours or something, QF are on the ground from 0500-2200.

Having given this some thought, I'd not be surprised to see QF return to SYD-NRT if the 787 goes onto SYD-HND. The drop in capacity could easily be replaced by a supplementary A330 service on SYD-NRT which could be seasonally adjusted up or down based on demand. That would give SYD/BNE/MEL - NRT, SYD-KIX and SYD-HND along with JQ on OOL/CNS - NRT and CNS-KIX. Dare I say it but they could also do a less than daily JQ 788 SYD-NRT to pick up the tourist traffic while QF charges a premium for SYD-HND. Either way they have options for maintaining any lost capacity from the 744.

It will be interesting to see what they do in JNB and SCL though. I get a sense that returning to PER-JNB, and eventually making that year round, might be the way QF will make for lost capacity on SYD-JNB. Not sure how that strategy would play out at SCL until they make a choice of their project Sunrise Aircraft. Having an a/c that can fly to GRU negates the need to make up capacity at SCL.

mh124

Fri May 04, 2018 1:29 am

Qf648 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That will change with Perth airports new CEO for better or worse. I suspect better, but Alan better bring his a game there.

For the record, Nev Power is the new chairman of Perth Airports Corporation. But yeah strongly agree they should be able to sort it out as two high achieving business-people. The agreements between airports and airlines when it comes to new infra builds must be quite interesting. Qantas won't be wanting to contribute much to the T1 redevelopment, given their position in the past when it comes to other airports (eg TSV).

bunumuring

Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 am

getluv wrote:
Chances of AR and AV starting services are remote. AR have NZ, and AV barely have a long haul fleet.

Hey mate,
I read on a.net just recently that Aerolineas Argentinas was looking for new long range aircraft with the range to restart Sydney services in the medium term. Likewise, late last year there was a discussion about Avianca expanding in the long haul market, and Sydney was mentioned. They have 787s already, admittedly not too many though. Apparently Lima is pretty high on the list of transfers of passengers for QF and LA in Santiago and as you would know, Lima is an Avianca hub.

On another matter, I live relatively close to Albion Park Airport where the Wings Over Illawarra air show will be held this weekend. Anyone going? I have been a bit surprised with the negative comments from neighbours, friends and family around here about it, over the cost ($50 per adult) and the disruption to locals on both days of the weekend (noise and traffic). My only disappointment is over the lack of interesting planes on static display and in the flying displays. No civil nor overseas military stuff, and I believe the HARS stuff won't be flying at all : can anyone confirm that?

Cheers
Bunumuring

tullamarine

Fri May 04, 2018 2:27 am

Obzerva wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:
getluv wrote:

As much as QR say it's all about CBR, I think we can safely say (as we all knew), it was about getting a second SYD frequency.

Correct, QR would probably fly it empty as long as they get the second SYD service. Despite the somewhat delusional comments you often hear from CBR management, I have no doubt that if the bilateral is ever changed enabling QR to increase its services into MEL/SYD/BNE and PER that the CBR service will be axed immediately.

bunumuring

Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 am

Hey guys
Re : Canberra QR and Singapore Airlines flights....
I think you are all quite right. My perception is that the Qatar flights are of interest to the Canberra catchment market only for ME and European flights, and possibly some African destinations. SIngapore Airlines seem to be favoured for Europe, Asian (especially India) and possibly some North American destinations. That's the feeling from friends and business contacts I have in the Canberra catchment area.
Having said that, I know of a family who have flown QR from Canberra to Johannesburg for a holiday last week... What an epic flight! They booked QR purely because it was the cheapest option by far for them from Canberra.
I really think that Air NZ would be able to develop quite a good market if it launched reasonable AKL-CBR services. The transfer market alone in Auckland to the Americas would be good, I believe, on top of the AKL market itself.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

zkncj

Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 am

bunumuring wrote:
I really think that Air NZ would be able to develop quite a good market if it launched reasonable AKL-CBR services. The transfer market alone in Auckland to the Americas would be good, I believe, on top of the AKL market itself.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

I think that NZ's biggest issue with being able to start CBR is there current lack of fleet resources - they are currently down 3x 789s, and are expecting the issue to extend out to September.

DeltaB717

Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 am

tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

Correct, QR would probably fly it empty as long as they get the second SYD service. Despite the somewhat delusional comments you often hear from CBR management, I have no doubt that if the bilateral is ever changed enabling QR to increase its services into MEL/SYD/BNE and PER that the CBR service will be axed immediately.

I've no doubt they would absolutely and happily fly it empty. The bilateral currently allows them 21x weekly services to the combination of SYD/MEL/BNE/PER - I'm sure an increase to 28x would see them add a daily BNE (that city has been specifically mentioned by the airline a number of times) and retain CBR. Going up to 35x weekly would either see them axe the CBR tag, or add a 2nd daily MEL, whereas 42x weekly would almost certainly be the end of the CBR tag.

DeltaB717

Fri May 04, 2018 3:34 am

zkncj wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Cheers,
Bunumuring

I think that NZ's biggest issue with being able to start CBR is there current lack of fleet resources - they are currently down 3x 789s, and are expecting the issue to extend out to September.

Agreed, although any time soon would be when I would expect an announcement for an October (beginning of NW18/19) start.

Sydscott

Fri May 04, 2018 3:39 am

mh124 wrote:
Qf648 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

For the record, Nev Power is the new chairman of Perth Airports Corporation. But yeah strongly agree they should be able to sort it out as two high achieving business-people. The agreements between airports and airlines when it comes to new infra builds must be quite interesting. Qantas won't be wanting to contribute much to the T1 redevelopment, given their position in the past when it comes to other airports (eg TSV).

The over-reaching issue for PER is that their plan for Terminal Consolidation eventually envisages QF moving their entire operation over to the International Precinct however they have been so inept at delivering projects that the timetable for that is now well into the future. If QF was going to be asked to finance part of it then they would want to be sure that the same issues that effected Virgin did not happen to QF and that any new terminal was delivered reasonably close to time. But PER doesn't have a good track record in that regard which is a shame when you look at the projects that places like ADL and MEL have delivered over the same timeframe.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 3:57 am

Obzerva

Fri May 04, 2018 4:38 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Agreed, although any time soon would be when I would expect an announcement for an October (beginning of NW18/19) start.

if NZ was to launch CBR, I don't see it being with anything bigger than an A321.
A320 is the ideal launch aircraft.

bunumuring

Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 am

Hey guys,
Yes, an A320 would definitely be all that was needed for a daily (cheeky grin) service AKL-CBR.
Virgin Australia would now be at a disadvantage on such a route post-Kiwi divorce ... Little or no onwards transfers possible while Qantas would only be able to offer Jetstar domestic NZ flights, I think, to CBR-originating customers if it opened the route.
I wonder if Air NZ ever bought something like the CSeries that they would open routes like CBR-CHC and Hobart-AKL or -CHC as well as an increased frequency CBR-AKL?
Cheers,
Bunumuring

zkncj

Fri May 04, 2018 5:11 am

Obzerva wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

if NZ was to launch CBR, I don't see it being with anything bigger than an A321.
A320 is the ideal launch aircraft.

Problem being is the A320 is now having to pickup the slack from the 789 fleet on the Tasman/Pacific so currently speaking the fleet is pretty tight. Along with short-haul pilots being in high demand, NZ is currently flying an daily 787/77W between AKL-CHC to help free up some domestic A320 capacity in turn to free up some 72-600 capacity.

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
I wonder if Air NZ ever bought something like the CSeries that they would open routes like CBR-CHC and Hobart-AKL or -CHC as well as an increased frequency CBR-AKL?
Cheers,

An CSeries would even probably be good for AKL-CBR being able to provide an double daily service, which would be more flexible than an daily service

DavidByrne

Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 am

zkncj wrote:
An CSeries would even probably be good for AKL-CBR being able to provide an double daily service, which would be more flexible than an daily service

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. I fully expect NZ will start AKL-CBR within 18 months (along with AKL-HBA) - that is, if they don't start them both this year. But I'd be surprised if it was more than 4x weekly A320 AKL-CBR and 3x weekly AKL-HBA. Talking about double daily - well, maybe 20 years down the line . . .

NZ hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in the C-Series, to my knowledge. I think it's a great idea, and an excellent filler between an A320 and the ATR-72 for use on both long, thin domestic routes (like HLZ-CHC, TRG-CHC, WLG-IVC etc) as well as thin TransTasman (not only AKL-CBR and HBA, but also NTL, TSV and possibly CHC-ADL). Could be a more suitable aircraft also to operate AKL-IUE. But absent even a vague indication from NZ that they are interested, I can't see it happening. Maybe the landscape has changed with the Virgin divorce, though, and there's a better business case for using the C-Series to cover for former VA codeshares. BTW, whatever happened to the rumour that Airbus was going to rebadge it as an A200?.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 am

More details have emerged of the near accident involving 2 QF737's at PER last weekend

According to an engineer who works at the airport, the Boeing 737 pilot of flight QF582, who aborted his take-off veered the plane to the left to avoid the other 737, QF567, that was taxiing towards the runway from the right.
“If he had gone to the right, he might have hit,” the engineer said.
Flt QF582 had reached 90 km/ hr when it aborted.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... ck-action/

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 12:05 pm

LA to continue to operate 788 to MEL until start of September due to RR issues

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-changes/

bunumuring

Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Hey guys,
Vietnam Airlines in its current (April 2018, page 155) inflight magazine features an article on the chef Luke Nguyen. At the very end of the article, it states that while currently VN flies direct routes to Sydney and Melbourne, it will be 'in the near future, increasing flight frequency and launching new routes to meet rising ' between Australia and Vietnam.
Any ideas what the new routes might be? Sydney currently has flights to Hanoi and HCM City while Melbourne has flights to the latter only. Could VN be looking at flights between Hanoi and Melbourne, or to another Aussie destination altogether? To me it seems highly unlikely that there would be any other Vietnamese destination that could support nonstop Aussie flights at the moment.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Vietnam Airlines in its current (April 2018, page 155) inflight magazine features an article on the chef Luke Nguyen. At the very end of the article, it states that while currently VN flies direct routes to Sydney and Melbourne, it will be 'in the near future, increasing flight frequency and launching new routes to meet rising demand' between Australia and Vietnam.
Any ideas what the new routes might be? Sydney currently has flights to Hanoi and HCM City while Melbourne has flights to the latter only. Could VN be looking at flights between Hanoi and Melbourne, or to another Aussie destination altogether? To me it seems highly unlikely that there would be any other Vietnamese destination that could support nonstop Aussie flights at the moment.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

They have previous flagged SGN-PER, which could be done with A321, BNE is probably the other city that VN have on their radar though with Vietjet planning BNE that may be less likely

getluv

Fri May 04, 2018 2:49 pm

To commence CBR or HBA, NZ would need longer lead times to commence both. So I doubt we'll be seeing anything in the next 18 months.

Whatever QR is gaining with a second SYD service is being eroded with all the extra costs involved in the CBR tag. When return airfares in Y are around $1100 to Europe these days, I would think the losses are substantial even with QR's cost base.

Given the transient population of CBR, I'm very sceptical about whether CBR itself can sustain international services.

bunumuring wrote:
getluv wrote:

I read on a.net just recently that Aerolineas Argentinas was looking for new long range aircraft with the range to restart Sydney services in the medium term. Likewise, late last year there was a discussion about Avianca expanding in the long haul market, and Sydney was mentioned. They have 787s already, admittedly not too many though. Apparently Lima is pretty high on the list of transfers of passengers for QF and LA in Santiago and as you would know, Lima is an Avianca hub.

There are a lot of threads on this website about things that haven't happened. I would say all airlines would factor new destinations in the medium term. Both airlines are better off flying to AKL and working with NZ, in AV's case working with its Star Alliance partner.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Moody's says VA's prospects are improving

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... ightening/

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Parts have started to arrive at PAE for QF's next 789 (VH-ZNE), should be loaded into final assembly over the next 12-14 days

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19

kriskim

Sat May 05, 2018 2:02 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Vietnam Airlines in its current (April 2018, page 155) inflight magazine features an article on the chef Luke Nguyen. At the very end of the article, it states that while currently VN flies direct routes to Sydney and Melbourne, it will be 'in the near future, increasing flight frequency and launching new routes to meet rising ' between Australia and Vietnam.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

At the moment they want to make SYD-HAN daily and launch MEL-HAN. The 787-9 will be replaced by higher capacity 787-10.

planemanofnz

Sat May 05, 2018 3:32 am

bunumuring wrote:
To me it seems highly unlikely that there would be any other Vietnamese destination that could support nonstop Aussie flights at the moment.

If AKL can support seasonal SGN services, perhaps BNE could too? VN might even pick up some European transfer traffic too, given that the likes of QR can't yet get to BNE.

Cheers,

C.

zkncj

Sat May 05, 2018 3:35 am

planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
To me it seems highly unlikely that there would be any other Vietnamese destination that could support nonstop Aussie flights at the moment.

If AKL can support seasonal SGN services, perhaps BNE could too? VN might even pick up some European transfer traffic too, given that the likes of QR can't yet get to BNE.

Cheers,

C.

VN has an lot more change of grabbing the transfer market too, AKL-SGN on NZ is basically only point to point traffic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos