dc10lover

Re: JetBlue Network Thread 2018

Wed May 16, 2018 2:29 am

N757ST wrote:
Jetblue pilots and management achieved an agreement in principle on Friday.

Delete
Last edited by dc10lover on Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of.

dc10lover

Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 am

dc10lover wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Jetblue pilots and management achieved an agreement in principle on Friday.

Good luck to them.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of.

6YBLUE

Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 am

BOS-DFW is stuck at 2 flights a day. B6 has not been able to make any inroads into American’s operation there, which is probably why they haven’t tried JFK-DFW or FLL-DFW. I don’t see them adding much, if anything, to DFW anytime soon.[/quote]

On the contrary, both flights have high load factors the majority of the time with some flights sold out weeks in advance. The problem with BOS-DFW were yields which have steadily increased, as well as lack of equipment. A 3rd flight would be welcome and return the route to the original frequency when launched 6 years ago.
As far as DFW-JFK/FLL is only a matter of time.

Blerg

Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 am

Don't they also fly three daily between BOS and ORD where some of the flights are on the Embraer? That seems like too little capacity to me.

tphuang

Sat May 19, 2018 12:42 am

Yes, BOS-ORD capacity is lower than it should be. They've added 2 flights for most of the year. Much needed if you ask me. And I'm hoping to see some efforts to retaliate against DL entrance into BOS-PHL and also beefing up some other markets.

Couple of interesting points this week. Looks like from their pilot forum that the next 2 destinations with be GEO and PTY. The first one I already posted about as being imminent, so I'm not surprised it will happen. Most likely once daily flights from JFK and FLL. The second one is a little less expected. I did think they would add it, but not necessarily this year. My guess will be once daily flight from FLL, but hoping to see JFK/BOS flights also. After that, I think FLL will be pretty close to covering all the major markets in the Caribbean region. From central America, they can still add to SAL/GUA/MGA/BZE at some point down the line. Although PTY is the biggest one and imo is a must add.

The other interesting point this week is their plan to have 14 gates and 100+ flights at MCO.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... al-448695/
This will easily make them the second largest carrier at MCO and not that far from WN who has about 120+ flight a day right now. I will look at how they might be able to get there from the current 60 to 70 flights a day at a later post.

Fex180

Sat May 19, 2018 2:13 am

Outside of BOS does B6 have any room left to expand in New England? The biggest obvious hole is MHT which seems to be a persistent rumor, but is there any room to expand in medium sized markets like PWM and PVD ?? It almost seems like B6 is putting all of their eggs in one basket in New England with BOS

Blerg

Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 am

I see that B6 has quite a few aircraft on order, anyone knows when they are due for delivery? How many are they getting this year?

tphuang

Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Currently, B6 is running about low 60s to high 60s in the average number of daily flights out of MCO. With their growth plan of 100+ flights, they would need to add about 35 flights. Thus far, the vast majority of their flight to MCO are from NorthEast. If they can get to 100+ flights, then they have a shot of sharing MCO point of sale with WN. So the question is how to get there.

As I said in another thread, they need to focus on their strength against WN, which are NorthEast, international and transcon. The legacies aren't going to add that much more from MCO. NK is concentrated on FLL. There are no domestic carrier with a lot international flights out of MCO. So they can position MCO as a secondary hub to Latin America after FLL. A hub in Texas would be more ideal as a secondary hub to Latin America, but B6 doesn't have that luxury.

They currently already fly to SJU/BQN/PSE/HAV/MEX/BOG/MBJ/NAS/PAP/SJO/SDQ out of MCO. Including PR, they have the most number of flights to Latin America already. The question is where could they add. I think they can certainly add more flights to PR. They capture strong PR point of sale and dominates WN in yields on MCO-SJU. They could add another 2 to 3 flights to PR as VFR traffic increases. They could also add flights to MEX/NAS/PAP over time. New destinations they can add include PTY/LIM/KIN/PUJ/GCM. And if B6 ever decides to enter Canada, YYZ/YUL are obvious targets to add. If A321LR can be added down the road, then LGW/GRU/GIG are all possible locations. Adding some of these international cities would really distinguish B6 from WN at MCO. So, I think at least 10 more flights can be added internationally + PR.

Domestically, there are still many dots not connected to MCO. There are some airports like CHS/SAV/ABQ that B6 current flies to, but have no service at all to MCO which might be able to support service. There are additional smaller airports like TLH/MYR/PEN which B6 doesn't fly to, but may be able to support both FLL/MCO service. And then there are existing B6 stations that should be able to support MCO service like IAD/RDU/CLE/PIT/DTW/MSY/MSP. Problem is a lot of these already have heavy WN/legacy + ULCC competition. I've left out DEN/DFW/HOU/ORD/PHL which seem too competitive to enter. There are also cities with no B6 service but seems underserved like MEM/CVG. It seems to me that B6 would have to at least add 10 to 15 flights from these routes to really build up its MCO operations.

And considering their better product over WN on transcon market, B6 should also add routes like SFO/SAN/PDX/LAS. B6 can be the carrier of choice from MCO point of sale while also distinguish itself as having the best product on those routes. I don't think you will ever see mint out of MCO. The yields are too low. They will probably start off with a lot of red-eyes.

And finally, I think you will also see additional flights from NorthEast as JFK looses slot restriction and possible added service to airports like PVD/BUF/SWF/ROC/PWM/ISP.

Realistically most of these adds will face a lot of pressure from WN, but there is certainly a path to another 30 to 40 flights.

VS4ever

Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Blerg wrote:
Don't they also fly three daily between BOS and ORD where some of the flights are on the Embraer? That seems like too little capacity to me.

The limiting factor for ORD is gate space, they only have 1 gate assigned, although they borrow from NK if needed for IRROPS purposes. I think from memory they do 9 to 10 turns a day on that one gate.
Remember folks in places like ORD, ATL, DFW, LGA they are not there to build an operation, they are there to make sure they have a presence for their corporate customers. That’s the whole reason why they started BOS-ATL after it was requested. They could put 320’s on all the flights to BOS tonincrease the capacity, but not sure they need it. They really need a 2nd gate to ease congestion and allow for a limited extra couple of flights to improve frequency against the likes of UA and AA. But they are not in these places necessarily to poke gorillas, it’s more to do with the fact that they have to be in order to satisfy their customer base.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

tphuang

Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Blerg wrote:
I see that B6 has quite a few aircraft on order, anyone knows when they are due for delivery? How many are they getting this year?

you can see in their annual report
http://blueir.investproductions.com/~/m ... report.pdf

They got 14 in 2016, 16 in 2017, 10 this year and 13 next year. All A321s. They supposedly have 6 A320, 7 A321 and 10 E90s in 2020. I'm willing to bet that's not going to happen. I think A320s will all be A321 and some will be LR. E90s will probably be replaced by C Series. And then 20 A320/321NEOs in 2021/2022 and 14 A321NEO in 2023. How many A320s they actually take is hard to say. I'm not convinced they take any more A320s at this point.

Planeboy17

Sun May 20, 2018 12:04 am

VS4ever wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The limiting factor for ORD is gate space, they only have 1 gate assigned, although they borrow from NK if needed for IRROPS purposes. I think from memory they do 9 to 10 turns a day on that one gate.
Remember folks in places like ORD, ATL, DFW, LGA they are not there to build an operation, they are there to make sure they have a presence for their corporate customers. That’s the whole reason why they started BOS-ATL after it was requested. They could put 320’s on all the flights to BOS tonincrease the capacity, but not sure they need it. They really need a 2nd gate to ease congestion and allow for a limited extra couple of flights to improve frequency against the likes of UA and AA. But they are not in these places necessarily to poke gorillas, it’s more to do with the fact that they have to be in order to satisfy their customer base.

Exactly correct. They now have been moved from L5 to L2 so NK can have the north side of L to themselves. Talk is next year they will move to G and may possibly receive another gate but they’ll have to increase their schedule for the city to provide it. They don’t want to go above 9 flights for one gate, they tried ten flights a couple of years back and it was a disaster.

tphuang

Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Exactly correct. They now have been moved from L5 to L2 so NK can have the north side of L to themselves. Talk is next year they will move to G and may possibly receive another gate but they’ll have to increase their schedule for the city to provide it. They don’t want to go above 9 flights for one gate, they tried ten flights a couple of years back and it was a disaster.

The problem is while they can support 10 flight schedule in summer time, they haven’t been able to do so in winter time. It’s about time JetBlue grows up and take some lumps in Chicago. It’s too big of a market to only us one gate. They should also add back sju if they need more flight to justify a second gate.

WNflyer1523

Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 am

tphuang wrote:

And finally, I think you will also see additional flights from NorthEast as JFK looses slot restriction and possible added service to airports like PVD/BUF/SWF/ROC/PWM/ISP.

Realistically most of these adds will face a lot of pressure from WN, but there is certainly a path to another 30 to 40 flights.

I highly doubt JetBlue would want to come into ISP. ISP-MCO is already ran numerous times daily on both Southwest and Frontier.

Fex180

Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 am

WNflyer1523 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I highly doubt JetBlue would want to come into ISP. ISP-MCO is already ran numerous times daily on both Southwest and Frontier.

b6 is going to have to up their game in markets like PWM, PVD and SYR if they want to stay competitive with Frontier.

boxeebox

Sun May 20, 2018 11:55 am

tphuang wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

The problem is while they can support 10 flight schedule in summer time, they haven’t been able to do so in winter time. It’s about time JetBlue grows up and take some lumps in Chicago. It’s too big of a market to only us one gate. They should also add back sju if they need more flight to justify a second gate.

SJU-ORD was changed to SJU-FLL-ORD. It's a through flight (#566). Flight #563 operates ORD-FLL-SJU.

Buddys747

Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm

In regards to the expanding flights at MCO, MDT-MCO would be a good market. There are many from this area that travel to BWI on WN or PHL on WN/AA for the nonstop flights. FL ran 2 daily from here from originally being just one. I know it’s not a huge market but one that would more than likely be profitable, and would not be competing directly with WN. I think 2x daily would be a good start, along with MDT-FLL. Not sure how MDT-BOS would do, AA has one flight a day, and the airport has said the only way B6 would come here is if they can guarantee full planes to BOS. I know F9 is starting MDT-MCO, but at 2 weekly flights, there will still be a lot of people preferring the alternate airport at that frequency.
ABE would also be another possibility, they had basically the same FL service MDT had.

chrisnh

Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Fex180 wrote:
Outside of BOS does B6 have any room left to expand in New England? The biggest obvious hole is MHT which seems to be a persistent rumor, but is there any room to expand in medium sized markets like PWM and PVD ?? It almost seems like B6 is putting all of their eggs in one basket in New England with BOS

If they came to MHT before Southwest goes to BTV they’d be able to say they serve all six New England states.

Fex180

Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

If they came to MHT before Southwest goes to BTV they’d be able to say they serve all six New England states.

I highly doubt WN will ever go to BTV, given how uninterested they seem to be in New England in general. b6 could outmaneuver LCC / ULCC competition in every New England market if they really wanted to.

wnflyguy

Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 pm

I think B6 will beat WN to Canada.
Funnel a mixture of Canadian passengers to Orlando and connecting traffic to tropical destinations via MCO.
JetBlue could also up its Red Eye game to include West coast flights to MCO.
Again connecting options to tropical destinations. Returning from MCO to the west coast in late afternoon.
I don't see WN doing red eye to the extreme anytime soon and JetBlue is already the LCC king of them.

Anything possible.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

chrisnh

Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Can either of these airlines just ‘go’ to Canada on their say-so, or do Canadian authorities need to approve any services with restrictions (Obviously to protect their own flag-carriers)?

tphuang

Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm

I think so. There is open skies between US and Canada. Historically, AC had always dominated transborder flights, because Canada side dominate the point of sale. And when adding in all the fees/taxes, it's been hard for LCCs to undercut legacy carriers. But given that JetBlue does win point of sale at BOS/FLL and have no Canadian competition at JFK, it really should think about adding Canada at some point. YYZ/YUL are too important of a market to ignore long term.

bdlflyer

Sun May 20, 2018 8:30 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
Fex180 wrote:

I would love to see B6 expand their service at BDL. The DCA route has fared well for them; which makes me wonder if they could possibly make service to BNA or MSY from BDL work with a E190? Also I know at some point there were rumors about MBJ; could that be another opportunity as well?
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

NWADTWE16

Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 pm

If the "Intra-Florida" service that's lacking doesn't get RSW/PGD/SRQ to FLL added, I'd happily take upguaging from the current Silver Saabs to atleast E190s say 2x daily from RSW to MCO, allowing connections to everything that makes no sense to fly to JFK/BOS for. in other words most of the country. They need to do this somehow to get the customer base down here one or another to become loyal, and no one will do that without access to the west without ridiculous connections up north.

Secondly a certain company would love to see MCO-BUR I am certain of it, especially now with AS decimating VX routes and pulling out of both FLL-LAX and MCO-LAX. DTW-MCO just needs to happen already, it would be a hit with the DTW crowd, and give a whole new DTW traveler group the chance to experience B6. believe it or not, completely different travel groups fly DTW-FLL, DTW-BOS, DTW-MCO.

Third, B6 is massively successful with their code-share agreements in BOS and JFK, but especially BOS. I can't tell you all how many people I've routed as #1 choice to EK/EI, just over and over. Latest one was RSW-BOS-DXB-BLR

Very excited to the next 2 years at B6!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

fedex1

Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 am

Why would they add IND or CVG??

fedex1

Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 am

Why would they add IND o??

fedex1

Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 am

Why would they add IND over CVG???

fedex1

Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 am

No sir. I don’t drink, my phone locked up. Excuse my screw ups.

tphuang

Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 am

At some point, they would have to add both IND and CVG out of BOS, because DL is milking those routes. At this point, they might not enter either this year if they are adding GEO and PTY.

NWADTWE16 wrote:
If the "Intra-Florida" service that's lacking doesn't get RSW/PGD/SRQ to FLL added, I'd happily take upguaging from the current Silver Saabs to atleast E190s say 2x daily from RSW to MCO, allowing connections to everything that makes no sense to fly to JFK/BOS for. in other words most of the country. They need to do this somehow to get the customer base down here one or another to become loyal, and no one will do that without access to the west without ridiculous connections up north.

Secondly a certain company would love to see MCO-BUR I am certain of it, especially now with AS decimating VX routes and pulling out of both FLL-LAX and MCO-LAX. DTW-MCO just needs to happen already, it would be a hit with the DTW crowd, and give a whole new DTW traveler group the chance to experience B6. believe it or not, completely different travel groups fly DTW-FLL, DTW-BOS, DTW-MCO.

Third, B6 is massively successful with their code-share agreements in BOS and JFK, but especially BOS. I can't tell you all how many people I've routed as #1 choice to EK/EI, just over and over. Latest one was RSW-BOS-DXB-BLR

Very excited to the next 2 years at B6!

That's interesting thought of adding RSW-MCO flight. Makes a lot of sense if they are expanding at MCO. Although it might be a connection only route, which they are not big into. Generally, I agree they should try more intra-florida routes, even non-focus city routes like RSW-JAX.

Is there space for B6 on DTW-MCO with both DL/NK already having so much capacity? JetBlue really doesn't do very well on DTW-FLL. Probably surviving on connection traffic.

NWADTWE16

Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 am

JetBlue does fine on DTW-FLL, they may not be 100% full, but I'm always looking and its got to be 80% or higher every day, give or take a few. DL matches them on that flight price only, and they both don't go lower than $224 one way, which is profitable at 80% LF, plus the ancillaries, like EMS and Bags. I don't think they've added a second, because their focus from DTW has been on BOS, which is a success at 3 daily, and swaps between 3 A320's and an E190 here and there. They run Business clients out early, and a ton of International connections on their DTW-BOS service.

Now that DTW people have had B6 and supported it for years I feel they would come in with MCO, and not print money, but open a valuable valve for more connections to the carribean/LATAM/Central America and Brazil, all of which more and more Detroiters are becoming hip to. The icing on that cake would be the constant Mickey traffic which never ends.

What would really be a curveball for them but I think might work, would be DTW-LGB, or DTW-LAX. Someone else needs to join that market, I hoped VX would but that has died. It would be an oddball, but hey no more odd than BUF-LAX

flymco753

Mon May 21, 2018 2:25 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
JetBlue does fine on DTW-FLL, they may not be 100% full, but I'm always looking and its got to be 80% or higher every day, give or take a few. DL matches them on that flight price only, and they both don't go lower than $224 one way, which is profitable at 80% LF, plus the ancillaries, like EMS and Bags. I don't think they've added a second, because their focus from DTW has been on BOS, which is a success at 3 daily, and swaps between 3 A320's and an E190 here and there. They run Business clients out early, and a ton of International connections on their DTW-BOS service.

Now that DTW people have had B6 and supported it for years I feel they would come in with MCO, and not print money, but open a valuable valve for more connections to the carribean/LATAM/Central America and Brazil, all of which more and more Detroiters are becoming hip to. The icing on that cake would be the constant Mickey traffic which never ends.

What would really be a curveball for them but I think might work, would be DTW-LGB, or DTW-LAX. Someone else needs to join that market, I hoped VX would but that has died. It would be an oddball, but hey no more odd than BUF-LAX
LGB is laughable, LAX is a stretch. B6 will do nothing more than add a daily MCO and maybe 2x daily JFK. FLL is performing poorly due to the yields that NK is putting up. The single reason why B6 could make MCO work is because people use the added fees. It's not rare that a family would check a large and heavy bag for the family and small bags for the kids.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

CobaltScar

Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Plenty of places to go from MCO, its a issue of not enough aircraft right now. I'd forget about MCO to FLL/MIA though. The new high speed train is going all the way to the airport in MCO and it just won't be worth the hassle to fly for most people. RSW to MCO and MCO/FLL to the panhandle might work.

Service to key west would be great too, but I think there is a issue with the e190's on that runway when its wet.

evank516

Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Plenty of places to go from MCO, its a issue of not enough aircraft right now. I'd forget about MCO to FLL/MIA though. The new high speed train is going all the way to the airport in MCO and it just won't be worth the hassle to fly for most people. RSW to MCO and MCO/FLL to the panhandle might work.

Service to key west would be great too, but I think there is a issue with the e190's on that runway when its wet.

Which is why they need the CSeries. The CS100 can handle EYW, and they can do it from JFK and BOS too.

Still hoping for a second DAB flight, at least from like February/March until May. I think they can manage it.

Brickell305

Mon May 21, 2018 2:26 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

I'm pretty certain that FLL-MCO is to facilitate connections on both ends and not for local traffic. Most local traffic already drives. The high speed train will take away from that local traffic that drives. It won't have a significant impact on connections.

evank516

Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

I'm pretty certain that FLL-MCO is to facilitate connections on both ends and not for local traffic. Most local traffic already drives. The high speed train will take away from that local traffic that drives. It won't have a significant impact on connections.

The only thing about introducing intra-Florida service is that they are competing against their own codeshare partner.

Dieuwer

Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pm

BOS-IND
BOS-MCI
BOS-STL

NWADTWE16

Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm

They can have their code-share partner beef up their intra florida routes then, but I cant stand it when people just assume we drive and we like it, WE DONT!

tphuang

Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

There were definite talks of JetBlue adding service to Tallahassee a while back but it never worked out. I see no reason why is can’t happen down the road. Of course, they are probably going to add places like ind stl and cvg first.