thgsr08

Re: Aeromexico resumes Barcelona service

Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 am

Well, it's gone....

AeroMexico in this week’s schedule update closed reservation for its planned service resumption on Mexico City – Barcelona route, nearly 3 weeks after the airline opened for reservation.

The Skyeam member originally planned to operate this route 3 times a week with Boeing 787-8, from 01NOV18. Operational schedule is also removed from the system.

Previously filed schedule as follows.

AM033 MEX1730 – 1130+1BCN 788 246
AM034 BCN1330 – 1915MEX 788 357
:checkeredflag:

behramjee

Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 am

Wasn't EKs request denied for BCN mex 5th freedom? https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/05/11/mex ... lona-stop/

So AM published and then cancelled so fast ?

jmmadrid

Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am

So AM is a dog in the manger? I hope this clears the way for EK to fly this route.
It's frustrating there's so little official information available about what is going on.

MalevTU134

Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
So AM is a dog in the manger? I hope this clears the way for EK to fly this route.
It's frustrating there's so little official information available about what is going on.

Methinks AM is the one of the two that got better off here. As IB, AR and SQ have learnt (and lot of other airlines have come to the same conclusion over the years without ever starting the route), it is difficult to make money on routes from BCN to Latin America. Yields are not near what they are to MAD or other European hubs.
As for MEX-DXB (or vice versa) demand, what could that be? No VFR, minimal business ties, no historical or cultural ties, and limited tourism opportunities (what one place offers, the other has a lot closer to home, be that beaches, historical sites, etc.). Demand MEX- beyond DXB? No huge Indian and Pakistani diaspora in Mexico, as in the US; Mexico has several direct and nonstop connections to East Asia (unlike Argentina and Brazil (sauf GRU-PEK), where EK is successful).
So what will the traffic flows be?
MEX-Africa? Quicker, and one stop less, through MAD, CDG, FRA, LHR.
MEX-India and South East Asia? Is there that much traffic, and at what yields? You get too far east from DXB and it's starting to be a big detour compared to going through China/Korea/Japan.
MEX-Middle East? What's the demand? Same remarks as for DXB are also valid for most markets here, too.

Although MEX is one of the world's biggest cities, and DXB is one of the biggest international hubs, I think they may just be too far apart in many ways for it to be viable to connect them in a profitable way. The BCN stop will fill seats, but hardly improve the yield.

dodgers702

Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:

Methinks AM is the one of the two that got better off here. As IB, AR and SQ have learnt (and lot of other airlines have come to the same conclusion over the years without ever starting the route), it is difficult to make money on routes from BCN to Latin America. Yields are not near what they are to MAD or other European hubs.
As for MEX-DXB (or vice versa) demand, what could that be? No VFR, minimal business ties, no historical or cultural ties, and limited tourism opportunities (what one place offers, the other has a lot closer to home, be that beaches, historical sites, etc.). Demand MEX- beyond DXB? No huge Indian and Pakistani diaspora in Mexico, as in the US; Mexico has several direct and nonstop connections to East Asia (unlike Argentina and Brazil (sauf GRU-PEK), where EK is successful).
MEX-India and South East Asia? Is there that much traffic, and at what yields? You get too far east from DXB and it's starting to be a big detour compared to going through China/Korea/Japan.
MEX-Middle East? What's the demand? Same remarks as for DXB are also valid for most markets here, too.

Although MEX is one of the world's biggest cities, and DXB is one of the biggest international hubs, I think they may just be too far apart in many ways for it to be viable to connect them in a profitable way. The BCN stop will fill seats, but hardly improve the yield.

Good points there so I guess it remains to be seen if EK can make this work. One airline that has the patience and can wait and even afford to lose money is EK so im sure they have done their homework. Stay tuned i guess....

I remember reading that EK had plans to start service come November. Wonder if thats still in the books.

MalevTU134

Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:

Good points there so I guess it remains to be seen if EK can make this work. One airline that has the patience and can wait and even afford to lose money is EK so im sure they have done their homework. Stay tuned i guess....

I remember reading that EK had plans to start service come November. Wonder if thats still in the books.

When it comes to EK doing their homework in the region, they walked away with an F when it came to PTY. Some of the flights (when they were finally bookable after announcing PTY like 3 times) had exactly 0 (zero) bookings just a few months out. Let's hope MEX does a lot better for them, but I for one am not holding my breath.

dodgers702

Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

When it comes to EK doing their homework in the region, they walked away with an F when it came to PTY. Some of the flights (when they were finally bookable after announcing PTY like 3 times) had exactly 0 (zero) bookings just a few months out. Let's hope MEX does a lot better for them, but I for one am not holding my breath.

Yeah i heard that was the reason even though it was said they cancelled also because not getting all codeshare approvals that they had requested (or something related to that). I think they still have to get appropriate slots at MEX which that will be a challenge itself. Obviously they have the money to buy premium slots so it remains to be seen if it does happen their arrival/departing hours are good to have great connection flights.

jmmadrid

Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm

The timings for this flight are going to be interesting. BCN already has 2 daily flights that connect to the small hours bank and the 8am bank in Dubai.
My understanding is that the former is the most important one, so if EK want MEX to connect to this one, the flight should leave MEX around 19:00 and land in BCN around 13:30. Leave MEX much earlier and its passengers will have to endure a longer stop in BCN. Leave MEX much later and they will miss the 15:30 departure to DXB.
Another possibility is to connect to the 22:30 departure from BCN, and to achieve this, they would have to leave MEX around 02:00am. Not even sure if it's possible.
The remaining option is to leave MEX around 14:30, land in BCN around 09:00am and the new flight BCN-DXB would leave around 11:00 and connect to the 21:00 bank in Dubai (not the best one).
To sum up, 3 possibilities: Leave MEX at 02:00, 14:30 or 19:30.
Any thoughts?

dcajet

Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

Well, Mexico City is not Panama City. MEX is one of 3 world alpha cities in Latin America (Bs As and SP are the other two) so EK should have no problem getting feed there for BCN, DXB and beyond. As you well say, perhaps NE Asia/China are better served from MEX directly or via the US but Emirates will stimulate traffic to places like India, HK, Thailand, etc., just as they did at EZE & GRU. EK is filling every day to capacity a 77W at EZE.

I am confident EK will succeed in MEX just as they do pretty much elsewhere they fly to.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

dodgers702

Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 pm

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Well, Mexico City is not Panama City. MEX is one of 3 world alpha cities in Latin America (Bs As and SP are the other two) so EK should have no problem getting feed there for BCN, DXB and beyond. As you well say, perhaps NE Asia/China are better served from MEX directly or via the US but Emirates will stimulate traffic to places like India, HK, Thailand, etc., just as they did at EZE & GRU. EK is filling every day to capacity a 77W at EZE.

I am confident EK will succeed in MEX just as they do pretty much elsewhere they fly to.

Agree that you cannot compare MEX to PTY. Emirates has been wanting to send its metal to MEX for years. This is the closest they have been to make it happen. I think what remains is getting slots approved at a slot constraint airport. Maybe they can buys premium slots from one of the LCC just like NH did to obtain their desired slots.

jr1000

Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 pm

http://www.dineroenimagen.com/carlos-ve ... erea/99229

Sorry is in Spanish, from a prominent Tourist writer in a newspaper, MEX government granted 5th freedom to EMIRATES.......Hello Mexico

jmmadrid

Fri May 18, 2018 5:42 pm

jr1000 wrote:
http://www.dineroenimagen.com/carlos-velazquez/emirates-precedente-preocupante-para-la-industria-aerea/99229

Sorry is in Spanish, from a prominent Tourist writer in a newspaper, MEX government granted 5th freedom to EMIRATES.......Hello Mexico

Goodness me! That wonderful and prominent journalist claims that EK bought AIR BERLIN and part of ALITALIA...

dodgers702

Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
jr1000 wrote:
http://www.dineroenimagen.com/carlos-velazquez/emirates-precedente-preocupante-para-la-industria-aerea/99229

Goodness me! That wonderful and prominent journalist claims that EK bought AIR BERLIN and part of ALITALIA...

Hilarious! Should do his homework first. On a side note Interesting to read that at one time Korean Air was requesting fifth freedom rights on a proposed ICN-YVR-MEX route but was denied. Maybe with the SCT being maybe more liberal in a sense, KE may request it once again.

Back to topic, hopefully it one take long for EK to get appropriate slots at MEX so they can commence the route before year ends.

EddieDude

Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 pm

So, I found the text of the UAE-Mexico bilateral. Fifth freedom rights have to be applied for and approved by the relevant authorities of both countries (plus obviously the third party country where the stopover airport is located).

So yes, it seems the AM decision to withdraw this route is based on the fact that EK obtained traffic rights for BCN-MEX from the Mexican authorities (and the Spanish ones). AM has been quoted by local media saying that the EK competition is unfair due to Emiraiti subsidies.

October 10, 2012 is when the treaty was signed. June 3, 2015 is the date of the enactment of the bilateral in Mexico (publication in the Official Gazette of the Federation). It became effective June 4, 2015. The treaty can be found at: http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codi ... 03/06/2015
Upcoming AM MEX-LAX 73H, VA LAX-MEL 77W.

AM744

Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 pm

As Eddie said, AM is denouncing "unfair competition" due to Emirates receiving "subsidies"

Sorry, only in Spanish

https://expansion.mx/empresas/2018/05/1 ... equitativa

laxtrii

Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 pm

ghost77

Sun May 20, 2018 12:42 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

That's going to be fun! Although, more chances of getting people to BCN. This reminds me of:

Good chances of getting people trying to get cheap to Europe. I think all could loose some pax, BA, KL, AF, LH, AZ, AM and IMHO the most affected will be IB. Ironically, they didn't make a move in order to stop EK into BCN.

jmmadrid wrote:
The timings for this flight are going to be interesting. BCN already has 2 daily flights that connect to the small hours bank and the 8am bank in Dubai.
My understanding is that the former is the most important one, so if EK want MEX to connect to this one, the flight should leave MEX around 19:00 and land in BCN around 13:30. Leave MEX much earlier and its passengers will have to endure a longer stop in BCN. Leave MEX much later and they will miss the 15:30 departure to DXB.
Another possibility is to connect to the 22:30 departure from BCN, and to achieve this, they would have to leave MEX around 02:00am. Not even sure if it's possible.
The remaining option is to leave MEX around 14:30, land in BCN around 09:00am and the new flight BCN-DXB would leave around 11:00 and connect to the 21:00 bank in Dubai (not the best one).
To sum up, 3 possibilities: Leave MEX at 02:00, 14:30 or 19:30.
Any thoughts?

You have a point. And much more convenient to all passengers in Mexico would be to leave MEX at 19:30. How will they get the slot?????

So WHEN will EK start flying?

Ohhhhhhh and from where will EK get pilots to fly the route? They are expanding when the US has a shortage and they have a shortage and people there is trying to get back to the US ASAP?

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

eta unknown

Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 am

MEX-BCN-DXB sounds like the upcoming AKL-DPS-DXB or the awful 02:30 BNE-SIN-DXB. These are basically 777 freight runs with pax gravy outside peak season. The yield on MEX-BCN & AKL-DPS will be terrible and good luck if LEVEL launches the route.

I think AM did the smart thing by not reinstating BCN- use the 787's on proven more lucrative routes.

anthsaun

Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm

EK is announcing the first BCN-MEX on Octubre 2018.

AM has declined the route because of EK.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

EddieDude

Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 pm

ghost77 wrote:
Good chances of getting people trying to get cheap to Europe. I think all could loose some pax, BA, KL, AF, LH, AZ, AM and IMHO the most affected will be IB.

That can be done already if you fly Condor or one of the many European leisure carriers ex-CUN. Alternatively, one could fly a LCC from Mexico to a Norwegian destination in the US and then connect onto a Norwegian flight to LGW, BCN, ORY, etc. There are already several options for super budget-conscious Mexican travelers.

dodgers702

Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 pm

anthsaun wrote:
EK is announcing the first BCN-MEX on Octubre 2018.

AM has declined the route because of EK.

Is there a link or is it something you know from inside sources? So far we havent heard from EK announcing timetable for the proposed route. I did see it on Wiki in spanish that it is suppose to start in Oct. so not sure if thats were you got your info but it also states that AM & EK have a codeshare agreement so that tells you how reliable the webistie sometimes is. All we know is they wanna start it before year ends but with the wait of approval slots at MEX it can be a longer wait or not happen until the new airport is open.

EddieDude

Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
Is there a link or is it something you know from inside sources? So far we havent heard from EK announcing timetable for the proposed route. I did see it on Wiki in spanish that it is suppose to start in Oct. so not sure if thats were you got your info but it also states that AM & EK have a codeshare agreement so that tells you how reliable the webistie sometimes is. All we know is they wanna start it before year ends but with the wait of approval slots at MEX it can be a longer wait or not happen until the new airport is open.

I think EK still has to officially announce date of commencement and other details, but it is pretty much official.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarc ... 773f49108f

dodgers702

Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 pm

EddieDude wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
Is there a link or is it something you know from inside sources? So far we haven,t heard from EK announcing timetable for the proposed route. I did see it on Wiki in spanish that it is suppose to start in Oct. so not sure if that is were you got your info but it also states that AM & EK have a codeshare agreement so that tells you how reliable the website is sometimes . All we know is they wanna start it before year ends but with the wait of approval slots at MEX it can be a longer wait or not happen until the new airport is open.

I think EK still has to officially announce date of commencement and other details, but it is pretty much official.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarc ... 773f49108f

That is what i meant to say, EK has still to officially announce exact date and time. I was reading that the only obstacle now is getting approval slots from MEX and its a done deal. Wonder if they will just try and buy some prime time slots from one of Mexico's LCC? They sure got the money so why not go the easy way?...lol. They could eventually code-share with whoever sells to them and i think it will be a win-win for both... ;)

dodgers702

Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Interesting article below, it seems it may start Oct-Nov. EK is working/negotiating with a local airline to obtain slots it seems:

Only in Spanish

https://www.eleconomista.com.mx/empresa ... -0084.html

WaywardMemphian

Mon May 21, 2018 11:32 pm

AM744 wrote:
As Eddie said, AM is denouncing "unfair competition" due to Emirates receiving "subsidies"

Sorry, only in Spanish

Sounds like it was written in ATL.

Jayafe

Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
AM744 wrote:

Sorry, only in Spanish

Sounds like it was written in ATL.

Next week, AM will ask for a wall to prevent Emiraties from entering Mexico to steal and rape. And they will pay for it!!

dodgers702

Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 pm

and the whining begins: (only in Spanish)

https://noticierouniversal.com/mexico/e ... -a-mexico/

We all knew it would not be easy for EK. Hopefully the SCT sticks to their guns and think about the countries economy and not just AM (and possibly other LCCs).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos