Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual747den
Topic Author

COS Airport Fire - Terminal Closed

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am

I just saw that F9 has canceled 1748 COS-MCO due to fire in the passenger terminal. Does anyone have further information on this? How bad is it?

timpdx

Re: COS Airport Fire - Terminal Closed

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 am

Fire on roof, photos in the link, doesn't look too bad, but its night, so hard to tell the real damage. To me, looks like the external cladding is burning, not a major structural fire.

http://www.koaa.com/story/37971373/crew ... gs-airport

seat55a

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 am

Images seem consistent with bonded polystyrene/aluminum cladding? Nasty stuff.

timpdx

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 am

Yep EiFS or some variant. When it goes, it goes.

Kden95

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 am

All flights cancelled for today and maybe tomorrow. I guess I’ll have a quiet day at work.

Brandon757

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Wow. I'm hoping for the best. My brother flies COS-DFW two weeks from today. Surely it will be open again by then....

Dominion301

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Ironically a Cessna 210 headed for COS the day before crash landed on a nearby road. Fortunately there weren’t any serious injuries.

http://www.koaa.com/story/37960479/plan ... martdevice

sassiciai

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 pm

As many before me have asked, could OPs please not use 3-letter codes in the thread title for obscure airports, rather provide the name in full. That would be very helpful, thanks

I actually expected to read about a fire at the airport of a Greek island when I opened the thread! Guess the code for that is KOS!

ual747den
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm

It was bad enough to cause F9 to cancel their flights again today and they have rerouted them thru DEN. Pax have the option to either go to DEN or rebook when the terminal reopens.

Brick

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 pm

The airport is closed for commercial flights today. Military and general aviation operations are not affected.

http://www.9news.com/article/news/local ... -540444587

lavalampluva

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Looks like private and corporate aircraft are landing. Just airlines using the main passenger terminal are affected.

spinotter

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:56 pm

sassiciai wrote:
As many before me have asked, could OPs please not use 3-letter codes in the thread title for obscure airports, rather provide the name in full. That would be very helpful, thanks

I actually expected to read about a fire at the airport of a Greek island when I opened the thread! Guess the code for that is KOS!

You are not a real a.netter unless you know most of the three letter codes.

Flaps

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:15 pm

sassiciai wrote:

Google is your friend. Put in a little effort and you will be amazed at what you can learn.

GSPSPOT

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:23 pm

I agree for the most part, but it seems to me, you used to be able to hover over airport codes and the city/airport name would show on a.net (although not necessarily in thread titles). I haven't seen that in a long time. Seems like a step backwards.

sassiciai

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Flaps wrote:
sassiciai wrote:

Google is your friend. Put in a little effort and you will be amazed at what you can learn.

I did, that's how I knew it was not in Greece

But if the OP wrote out the airport name in full in the title, it would save hundreds/thousands of us each having to Google the same 3-letter code. Which sounds more friendly to you?

jporterfi

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Did no one tell G4 about the fire? G48006 appears to be enroute LAS-COS. Will they park at a remote stand?

FlyHappy

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 pm

sassiciai wrote:
Flaps wrote:
sassiciai wrote:

But if the OP wrote out the airport name in full in the title, it would save hundreds/thousands of us each having to Google the same 3-letter code. Which sounds more friendly to you?

Agreed. 3 letter snobbery sucks ;)

Brandon757

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Can we please get back on topic before this thread is deemed "lockable"?

nws2002

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 pm

jporterfi wrote:
Did no one tell G4 about the fire? G48006 appears to be enroute LAS-COS. Will they park at a remote stand?

8000 series flights are charters for G4. Probably going to an FBO.

ual747den
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:34 pm

sassiciai wrote:
Flaps wrote:
sassiciai wrote:

I did not think that COS was so obscure that anyone would have trouble understanding what airport I was talking about. As people already mentioned this is an aviation industry forum so there is an understanding that people should be familiar with the standard language we use in the industry. When we talk about airports or write about airports we always use airport codes rather than actually writing out the name of the airport. The same goes for airline codes, in the industry we always use the airline code rather than spelling out the name of the entire airline. For people who are on this site who do not work in the industry, you can always google the airline/airport codes and learn them. The site used to have a feature where you could place your mouse over the code and it would show you which airport/airline the code was associated with. I wish that they would bring that feature back it seemed to help a lot of people to learn the codes that are used.

Brandon757

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Press conference at 3:30MT to announce service resumption and state of the terminal. If they already know when service should start back why wait a few hours to announce it? Some passengers need to know these things as soon as possible. I'm just assuming they know. Their FB page seems confident that they already know these answers. Passengers are asking them if they know anything and COS FB is telling people that all their service questions will be answered at the press conference.

OKCDCA

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Definitely not good timing for COS. I think there are around 14,000 people in town for the annual Space Symposium.

sassiciai

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 pm

ual747den wrote:
sassiciai wrote:
Flaps wrote:

I did not think that COS was so obscure that anyone would have trouble understanding what airport I was talking about. As people already mentioned this is an aviation industry forum so there is an understanding that people should be familiar with the standard language we use in the industry. When we talk about airports or write about airports we always use airport codes rather than actually writing out the name of the airport. The same goes for airline codes, in the industry we always use the airline code rather than spelling out the name of the entire airline. For people who are on this site who do not work in the industry, you can always google the airline/airport codes and learn them. The site used to have a feature where you could place your mouse over the code and it would show you which airport/airline the code was associated with. I wish that they would bring that feature back it seemed to help a lot of people to learn the codes that are used.

Hey, calm down, you are so up tight on a wee bit of criticism!

Many/most of us here know a lot of basic stuff, including the airport codes for a shitload of major airports around the world. COS - aka Colorado Springs - is not up there in the internationally well-know airports, matey, despite what you might think

I can give you a long list of small airports that are relatively close to where I live (in Europe), and that you would be obliged in 99% of the cases to seek help from Google! I am not sure how many airport codes with 3-alpha there are, but there are 17596 possibilities. I wonder how many you know, in particular out of your own country! So all I am advocating is that anyone who posts (in a thread title especially) an airport code for a less than Top 1000 airport should have the courtesy to spell out the airport name in full

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos