readytotaxi
Topic Author

At it again, Korean Air CEO's daughter suspended.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

The younger sister of the "nut thrower" is in the spotlight this time.At least it was on the ground.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43783832

You have to wonder how rich parents pass on social skills to the offspring, do they just leave it to the staff? :confused:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

wingman

Re: At it again, Korean Air CEO's daughter suspended.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Was it the airline's advertising that enraged her or the the advertising of the nuts they serve? Or maybe it was that they advertise the nuts coming in a bowl and they're still showing up in nutbags? It's nutty behavior either way and these nuts deserves whatever shelling comes their way!

hoons90

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Here's a voice clip of her tirade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYWLE03G8U

Maybe she ought to consider a career as a vocalist in death metal
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Wow, that voice clip, was she hormonally challenged at the time?

Boeingphan

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Sounds like a chimp at a zoo, what could she be bent out of shape about?

LAX772LR

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:12 pm

For an carrier that previously had a rather dubious safety perception, at least in the West... these incidents can't help.

Not that I'd ever set foot on this airline, but this sorta thing does make me wonder what (if anything) is being skimped over, or avoided, just because a family with the emotional control of a toddler might not want to hear bad news.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

F9Animal

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 pm

I am confused. Is Korean Air owned by a family? Cant these family members be fired for their behavior? I see the older sister is out of jail and now works for the Hotel side of the business? Wow!!! Hello?
I Am A Different Animal!!

LAX772LR

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

F9Animal wrote:
I am confused. Is Korean Air owned by a family?

KE is owned by the Hanjin Group... it's a type of closely-held conglomerate called a "chaebol," where it's not uncommon to see a single person as majority holder, and his/her family members forming the directors and executives throughout the different businesses in holding.

For Hanjin, it's Cho Yang-Ho and his nutty daughters.

Kashmon

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm

I can't wait for the daughters to take over the airline
It will be hilarious!

wingman

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Clearly someone with some excess time on their hands will need to create a hilarious translation like those great Hitler movie re-dos. I'm already imagining a classic A vs. B thing and she's weighing in on KE's next fleet decision. Probably time to move this to Non-Av where we can get a bit more colorful with our suggestions. A timid start:

You pathetic and useless moron! Do you know how small 17.2" is?!?! Of course not..because your father was a donkey and now you think you know what makes an ass happy, BUT INSTEAD YOU'RE A RAVING FANBOY TOSSER! Do you feel my thumb up your backside, can you feel that? From knuckle to nail that is 0.8"!!! That is the difference between pain and pleasure, yin and yang, happy ass and sad ass! YOU HAVE EATEN YOUR LAST NUT at Korean Airlines!

Slash787

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm

This whole family needs help and these people won't change, their mentality won't change, they will just "apologise" for the sake of it.

keesje

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 pm

What is she saying?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

LTU932

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
I am confused. Is Korean Air owned by a family?

KE is owned by the Hanjin Group... it's a type of closely-held conglomerate called a "chaebol," where it's not uncommon to see a single person as majority holder, and his/her family members forming the directors and executives throughout the different businesses in holding.

For Hanjin, it's Cho Yang-Ho and his nutty daughters.
I'm not trying to be polemical, but I wanna just summarise to understand better: Basically, a "chaebol" is a form of nepotism. The way I read it, it doesn't seem to be possible to break those chaebols because of their grip on Korean economy, possibly going even all the way up to the Blue House.

BTW, the title is somewhat misleading because this isn't an article about Heather Cho (who's back in the family business it seems), it's about Emily Cho. To be fair, you need to make that distinction.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LAX772LR

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:50 pm

LTU932 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'm not trying to be polemical, but I wanna just summarise to understand better: Basically, a "chaebol" is a form of nepotism.

It's not all that unique to be honest. Similar to how closely-held corporations work in the USA.

Heck, not to be political, but just to give an example that may be more familiar to many:
The Trump Organization basically functions the same way -- one guy at the head, with his children and friends running every other aspect of the company.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:53 am

Kashmon wrote:
I can't wait for the daughters to take over the airline
It will be hilarious!

Well, in the spirit of oddly-named subsidiaries (e.g. Joon, Scoot, Level, etc)...... maybe KE can have one called "Scream."

rbavfan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am

LAX772LR wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'm not trying to be polemical, but I wanna just summarise to understand better: Basically, a "chaebol" is a form of nepotism.

It's not all that unique to be honest. Similar to how closely-held corporations work in the USA.

Heck, not to be political, but just to give an example that may be more familiar to many:
The Trump Organization basically functions the same way -- one guy at the head, with his children and friends running every other aspect of the company.

Or Jacob Zuma's South Africa version of a "chaebol."

hoons90

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm

keesje wrote:
What is she saying?

It's all over the place with non sequiturs and a lot of it doesn't make sense without context.

"You %$@%, what was it that was filmed?"
"You think I don't know that there's no one here?"
"Who the hell is this guy?!?"
"I told you to remember, to report to me in advance!"
"What? What did you say?!?"
"Whatever, GET OUT!!!"
"I was going to ask. I am going to ask YOU!!!"
"I don't know how many people it's going to be. I don't KNOW!!!"
"You're driving me crazy!!!"
"Who do you think you are?!?"
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

hoons90

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Emily (Hyun-Min) Cho was a director at Jin Air, Korean Air's LCC subsidiary, from 2010 to 2016. Now the Korean government is claiming that she, as an American citizen, was not legally allowed to serve as a director on the board, and the government's investigation might lead to some serious consequences for Jin Air, up to and including possible license termination.

Source: http://www.news2day.co.kr/102519

PolarRoute

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

WOW. Just wow. So ashamed.. The Cho's have to get the F out of Hanjin group.

winginit

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm

PolarRoute wrote:

Can anyone speak intelligently to the current financial straits of Hanjin Group? I recall they declared whatever the Korean equivalent of bankruptcy is in late 2016 and am surprised that management remains in tact through that? Maybe I shouldn't be...

Took a brief tour of their Wilshire Grand Center in DTLA the day it opened and was shocked to see it essentially unfinished. A few murmurs behind the scenes during breaks alluded to Hanjin's financial difficulties being the driver.

keesje

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

hoons90 wrote:
keesje wrote:
What is she saying?

It's all over the place with non sequiturs and a lot of it doesn't make sense without context.

"You %$@%, what was it that was filmed?"
"You think I don't know that there's no one here?"
"Who the hell is this guy?!?"
"I told you to remember, to report to me in advance!"
"What? What did you say?!?"
"Whatever, GET OUT!!!"
"I was going to ask. I am going to ask YOU!!!"
"I don't know how many people it's going to be. I don't KNOW!!!"
"You're driving me crazy!!!"
"Who do you think you are?!?"

Thnx
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

PolarRoute

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Also notice: the ''nut thrower'' has returned from her resignation, and as the executive of KE. She was formerly a co-executive before the nut incident.

winginit

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

PolarRoute wrote:
winginit wrote:
PolarRoute wrote:

Can anyone speak intelligently to the current financial straits of Hanjin Group? I recall they declared whatever the Korean equivalent of bankruptcy is in late 2016 and am surprised that management remains in tact through that? Maybe I shouldn't be...

Took a brief tour of their Wilshire Grand Center in DTLA the day it opened and was shocked to see it essentially unfinished. A few murmurs behind the scenes during breaks alluded to Hanjin's financial difficulties being the driver.

I think you're referring to Hanjin Shipping. They officially went bankrupt in Feb. 2017, due to the poor management and intervention of unelected official of the time, Choi Soon-sil. Hanjin Group at the time was struggling financially to rescue the sinking subsidiary company. But now that the subsidiary has gone bankrupt, it is no more doing any harm toward its parent comapny Hanjin Group. Cho Yang-ho was in charge of Hanjin Shipping, but he remains to be the CEO of Hanjin Group as he has been throughout the whole incident.

So one might think that the management team should be dismissed through all these but.. that's just simply not the case. Hanjin Group, as you seem to know, is a conglomerate controlled by its largest shareholder Cho family. This inheritance of ownership of a corporation is something that's largely popular in and specific to Korea. As the people experience this corporate monarchy, the owner family's authority over the corporation becomes bigger and bigger, to the extent where they can remain intact through all the ridiculous incidents like the nut return, water throwing, and even letting the largest shipping company in Korea go completely bankrupt.

You can view this as a type of 'gapjil', which New York Times in this article ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/worl ... n-air.html ) defines to be:
the abuse of underlings and subcontractors by executives who behave like feudal lords.

It specifically states 'the abuse of underlings and subcontractors', but in large scheme of view it really refers to anything immoral done by the abuse of power or social state on someone who is relatively an underdog. This includes: customer being dicks toward service agent, part timer not getting paid, etc...

In this particular incident of Hanjin Shipping's bankruptcy, the CEO Cho Yang-ho ought to be dismissed. However he is the CEO of the whole Hanjin conglomerate and on top of that the shareholders have gradually lost their voices throughout years and decades of corporate monarchy. No one can really overthrow him or do anything about it. Hence the management remaining intact.

Very helpful thank you. And am I correct in assuming that the heads of these conglomerates are tight-knit with the Korean political powers to the point where the government won't intervene?

PolarRoute

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm

winginit wrote:
PolarRoute wrote:

I think you're referring to Hanjin Shipping. They officially went bankrupt in Feb. 2017, due to the poor management and intervention of unelected official of the time, Choi Soon-sil. Hanjin Group at the time was struggling financially to rescue the sinking subsidiary company. But now that the subsidiary has gone bankrupt, it is no more doing any harm toward its parent comapny Hanjin Group. Cho Yang-ho was in charge of Hanjin Shipping, but he remains to be the CEO of Hanjin Group as he has been throughout the whole incident.

So one might think that the management team should be dismissed through all these but.. that's just simply not the case. Hanjin Group, as you seem to know, is a conglomerate controlled by its largest shareholder Cho family. This inheritance of ownership of a corporation is something that's largely popular in and specific to Korea. As the people experience this corporate monarchy, the owner family's authority over the corporation becomes bigger and bigger, to the extent where they can remain intact through all the ridiculous incidents like the nut return, water throwing, and even letting the largest shipping company in Korea go completely bankrupt.

You can view this as a type of 'gapjil', which New York Times in this article ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/worl ... n-air.html ) defines to be:
the abuse of underlings and subcontractors by executives who behave like feudal lords.

It specifically states 'the abuse of underlings and subcontractors', but in large scheme of view it really refers to anything immoral done by the abuse of power or social state on someone who is relatively an underdog. This includes: customer being dicks toward service agent, part timer not getting paid, etc...

In this particular incident of Hanjin Shipping's bankruptcy, the CEO Cho Yang-ho ought to be dismissed. However he is the CEO of the whole Hanjin conglomerate and on top of that the shareholders have gradually lost their voices throughout years and decades of corporate monarchy. No one can really overthrow him or do anything about it. Hence the management remaining intact.

PolarRoute

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

winginit wrote:
Very helpful thank you. And am I correct in assuming that the heads of these conglomerates are tight-knit with the Korean political powers to the point where the government won't intervene?

Nothing has been officially confirmed about that, but from the court case where the Hanjin group and KE violated Fair Trade Act regulations but soon released from all the crime related to it, one can infer that it is indeed a case. Especially from the look at how the MOLIT is treating KE with care regarding the matter of new foreign carriers coming into regional airports of Korea or distributing traffic rights, It is not uncommon among aviation communities that MOLIT is deemed to be under effect of KE.

obelau24

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 pm

The underlying problem is that of tolerance to the idea of a relationship between the dominant and inferior - it’s a feeling that permeates through every aspect of Korean Air’s culture. Passengers can become belligerent at anything they dislike and the staff are expected to kowtow to their whims and desires. It’s the idea of subservience versus mutual respect that has no place in the modern-day service industry - but that’s my American idealism taking over. There has to be some balance between service and subjugation and Koreans don’t know or want to know the difference.

PolarRoute

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:23 pm

obelau24 wrote:
There has to be some balance between service and subjugation and Koreans don’t know or want to know the difference.

Yeah this is exactly what I’m concerned about everytime the Cho family pull off their thing. They should always keep in mind that KE is Korea’s flag carrier and therefore they are the faces who represents Korea. People like to generalize based on things like this. But the Chos are a batch of retarded pillocks what do I expect.

It’s not that all Koreans are like that. In fact, if you go on board any of the flights on KE, OZ, 7C, etc., you’ll notice that the above sentence you stated simply isn’t true. Yes, we do have somewhat different idea of ‘service’ from that of Americans or the Westerners (haven’t been to EU part of the West so idk), but that doesn’t mean we want ‘subjugation’ from the service agents. Your statement is just generalizing and exaggerating.

abrelosojos

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 pm

obelau24 wrote:
The underlying problem is that of tolerance to the idea of a relationship between the dominant and inferior - it’s a feeling that permeates through every aspect of Korean Air’s culture. Passengers can become belligerent at anything they dislike and the staff are expected to kowtow to their whims and desires. It’s the idea of subservience versus mutual respect that has no place in the modern-day service industry - but that’s my American idealism taking over. There has to be some balance between service and subjugation and Koreans don’t know or want to know the difference.

= What a super condescending statement! Thanks for your "American idealism". There are things your leaders say that are not "idealism" others aspire to. KE culture is clearly toxic and I think we should leave it at that -- generalizing a whole country is never a good idea.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

spyglass

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Sounds like both of this Mr Cho's daughters need a good hard spanking....probably haven't had one for a while.
I remember when......a plane trip was a big deal.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 pm

UPDATE. Both sisters have been removed from all posts, big ground swell against them in Korea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43856839

many321

Mon May 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Cue the theme from Curb for Your Enthusiasm.

c933103

Mon May 28, 2018 5:15 pm

It seems like the event continue to unfold? With now the CEO's wife being caught for abusing and attacking workers and the CEO itself alleged to use the airlines to smuggle goods and one of the daughter being accused for hiring illegal foreign workers via the HR department of KAL. And there are further protests from KAL workers against the family and call for them to be entirely removed from the company

LAX772LR

Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 am

c933103 wrote:
It seems like the event continue to unfold?

Why wouldn't it? Their political reach is so deep that it's not likely anything would be effectively done to them beyond public shaming...

...though then again, after both Park Geun-Hye and Lee Myung-Bak being sent to the slammer-- maybe things have changed?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos