Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UsAir737
Topic Author

United's first 737 Max receives swoop livery

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed already. Definitely really freshens up UA livery. Wonder if this could be rolled out fleet wide. Obviously already on the 787 but really could go a long way I’d say.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-uniteds-first-737-max-receives-swoop-liver-447435/

BC77008

Re: United's first 737 Max receives swoop livery

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:28 pm

It's been discussed here and there, but it hasn't rightfully gotten its own thread on here. I think the swoop does wonders for the livery and I hope that this is part of a new trend and they will eventually carry it out to all aircraft. I think even the ERJ-145 would look nifty with a swoop.

jetskipper

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Interesting that they would include in on the Max but not the new delivery 777-300s.

gatibosgru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Any little bit helps :P

berari

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Is it just me or does it make the aircraft and livery look friendlier? Like a smiling 737.

DeltaRules

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

berari wrote:
Is it just me or does it make the aircraft and livery look friendlier? Like a smiling 737.

It distances them a bit from "We're technically United but want you to think Continental because people liked them better so we slapped United titles on their planes and called it a livery".

mls515

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm

BC77008 wrote:
It's been discussed here and there, but it hasn't rightfully gotten its own thread on here. I think the swoop does wonders for the livery and I hope that this is part of a new trend and they will eventually carry it out to all aircraft. I think even the ERJ-145 would look nifty with a swoop.

It would look nifty on the ERJ. EV is in the process of repainting the entire ERJ fleet (15 done, 28 more this year after summer peak, the rest 2019) but I doubt they would get the new livery, nor would the other ERJ UAX carriers (C5, AX).

berari

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
berari wrote:

It distances them a bit from "We're technically United but want you to think Continental because people liked them better so we slapped United titles on their planes and called it a livery".

Do people even remember Continental anymore? Times have changed, ship has sailed, even the United folks should move beyond the Continental days.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

berari wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
berari wrote:

Do people even remember Continental anymore? Times have changed, ship has sailed, even the United folks should move beyond the Continental days.

They need a new brand. I don't advocate brand changes for the sake of brand changes (like LH) but UA really needs to turn a page on it's identity.

berari

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
berari wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

They need a new brand. I don't advocate brand changes for the sake of brand changes (like LH) but UA really needs to turn a page on it's identity.

What's wrong with its identity? Is it that its employees are not being unified as a result of a merger, or is it a customer perception issue? If it's the former, it's a culture change/shift that's required rather than a new name/colour scheme.

FSDan

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 pm

berari wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
berari wrote:

What's wrong with its identity? Is it that its employees are not being unified as a result of a merger, or is it a customer perception issue?

It's both.

Aptivaboy

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes, people do. I am officially in denial. I do not recognize the merger. I am stuck in the past. Continental still flies. Bring back the meatball!

Okay, meds taking effect. Calling down, soothing, pupils undilating... Ah... All better.

727LOVER

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:35 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Any little bit helps :P

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

THAT MADE MY DAY !

iahcsr

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

Yes, people do. I am officially in denial. I do not recognize the merger. I am stuck in the past. Continental still flies. Bring back the meatball!

Okay, meds taking effect. Calling down, soothing, pupils undilating... Ah... All better.

I still have days like that :bouncy: The meds do wonders though :spin:
I like the term ‘swoop’ better than ‘wavy gold’. It’s been rumored to begin appearing on other fleet types...but thus far no evidence of that from official sources. Perhaps something will be revealed at the earnings call this week.

NYPECO

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm

I wonder how their livery would look with a nice blue under the stripe instead of grey. Anyone wanna photoshop?

richiemo

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I find the swoop livery to be the most half-*ss effort to jazz up a livery I've ever seen. It's like they know the regular livery is boring and bland so they have to jazz it up for their brand spanking new planes.

NYPECO

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

berari wrote:

It does, and I heard that was one of the reasons for adding the wave (although that could be completely incorrect).

Varsity1 wrote:
berari wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Changing the colors aren't going to do much for that, I'm not even sure how many people memorize an airline's livery after stepping off the plane.

LongHaul101

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Ha!! You think United would pay to have their aircraft repainted?! It would be really nice to see the new livery as I think the current livery is quite tired and rather dull. But there is little to no hope for a fleet wide repaint. Just look at the speed Polaris is being retrofitted (slower than a snail).

WN732

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 pm

The gold basically matches where WN would place the yellow stripe in the canyon blue livery.

N766UA

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:07 am

berari wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
berari wrote:

I mean, considering how many jets are flying around with their logo, how can you not remember them? I’m reminded of Continental every time I see anything with “United” written on it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos