Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ahj2000
Topic Author

Is Frontier the new AirTran?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Is Frontier the new AirTran? People have said NK for a while,especially with Fornaro now there, but to me if you replace ATL with DEN, you have a more national FL.
Replace the MKE and BWI focuses with whichever cities F9 has focuses at now and it doesn’t look all that different to me.

Anyone else see similarities?

evank516

Re: Is Frontier the new AirTran?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:28 pm

None whatsoever, AirTran's hard product was very different.

enilria

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Is Frontier the new AirTran? People have said NK for a while,especially with Fornaro now there, but to me if you replace ATL with DEN, you have a more national FL.
Replace the MKE and BWI focuses with whichever cities F9 has focuses at now and it doesn’t look all that different to me.

Anyone else see similarities?.

It's less true now than in the past. Air Tran was mostly a hub spoke airline. Frontier is essentially no longer a hub and spoke airline. There are some vestiges remaining in Denver, but Frontier's % of non-connecting traffic compared to Air Tran is far lower. I'd say Air Tran was around 30% connecting, while F9 is now 5% or less.

KICT

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Does Frontier have a business class? Then no, they aren't.

KATL2

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

the closest thing to AirTran is JetBlue. Frontier and Spirit are nothing like AirTran

evank516

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 pm

enilria wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Anyone else see similarities?.

It's less true now than in the past. Air Tran was mostly a hub spoke airline. Frontier is essentially no longer a hub and spoke airline. There are some vestiges remaining in Denver, but Frontier's % of non-connecting traffic compared to Air Tran is far lower. I'd say Air Tran was around 30% connecting, while F9 is now 5% or less.

I'll agree with this. Back when F9 was more DEN focused and offered more for less fees then yes, F9 was much more similar to AirTran. I think Midwest probably had the most similarities, but obviously they're gone.

ridgid727

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Frontier has become more of a Cafeteria Style operation. You pick from a list of what you want, and for each line you pick, whereas AirTran operated more of a traditional type airline where everything was included in the fare you paid, and actually had real employees that took care of you rather than contractual folks.

StuckinCMHland

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 am

ridgid727 wrote:
Frontier has become more of a Cafeteria Style operation. You pick from a list of what you want, and for each line you pick, whereas AirTran operated more of a traditional type airline where everything was included in the fare you paid, and actually had real employees that took care of you rather than contractual folks.

+10000

I may have flown the last or almost the last AirTran flight, sitting in J or F, or whatever they called it from RSW to CLT. Great seats, great staff, nice ride. Because AirTran was almost literally finished I had to fly WN from CLT to CMH, and it was a clown show. My first class ticket on AirTran entitled me to get a tight, uncomfortable, lousy seat by the Exit hatch. The service was awful, the passengers were awful, and I have not flown on WN since. Never will again either.
From what I have heard of Frontier I will never fly on it either, and it is never close to Air Tran in the least.

SPREE34

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 am

No. AirTran was a class act. Great service and a great Business/First product. Hated to see them go.

N766UA

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 am

I’m confused why one would even pose the question? They’re near polar opposites.

airplaneboy

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:09 am

SPREE34 wrote:
No. AirTran was a class act. Great service and a great Business/First product. Hated to see them go.

What was so great? Their service was very basic. No meals in business class, just snacks & alcohol and a bigger seat that did not have headrests or footrests. Coach seats were very tight and uncomfortable on the 717 and 737. They weren’t a horrible airline, but nothing at all in the same league as even Jetblue or Southwest in terms of comfort in coach.

neomax

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:13 am

N766UA wrote:
I’m confused why one would even pose the question? They’re near polar opposites.

Because opposites attract! :rotfl:

afcjets

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 am

StuckinCMHland wrote:

I may have flown the last or almost the last AirTran flight, sitting in J or F, or whatever they called it from RSW to CLT. Great seats, great staff, nice ride. Because AirTran was almost literally finished I had to fly WN from CLT to CMH

FL did not fly RSW-CLT and WN has never flown CLT-CMH. You might be confusing CLT with ATL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos