Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Re: IAG considering placing a bid for Norwegian

Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 pm

787Driver wrote:
I really hope Norwegian will stay independent.

At this point they will either get eaten up or die. The oil price ticking up for them is not great news. It also hits them doubly, not only from the direct costs but by raising the value of NOK so raises any NOK denominated expenses while lowering the share price.

Mortyman

Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
787Driver wrote:

I don't they are a horrible airline.

What makes you think that IAG would make any changes ?

NZ321

Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Come on, you have to be joking? If IAG take over then there will be changes. Any take over will surely :) involve changes according to alignment. But they may not be drastic changes. They may be subtle. I for one would be looking to whether changes will affect service to secondary cities like OAK where Norwegian have a significant presence in markets with no direct competition. But hard to say.

Mortyman

Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Come on, you have to be joking? If IAG take over then there will be changes. Any take over will surely :) involve changes according to alignment. But they may not be drastic changes. They may be subtle. I for one would be looking to whether changes will affect service to secondary cities like OAK where Norwegian have a significant presence in markets with no direct competition. But hard to say.

I'm pretty sure Kiwirob was thinking about employment regulations, salaries, work conditions etc .. Are we sure IAG gonna make any major changes regarding that ?

NZ321

Tue May 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Oh I c - yes I suspect so :)

millionsofmiles

Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 am

Given the fact that the flight attendants and pilots are not even employed directly by Norwegian but are, instead, contracted through a third-party, I would imagine all the labor issues in a break-up of assets will be non-problematic for the acquirer.

Kiwirob

Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 am

Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
787Driver wrote:

I would hope they would fix the terrible customer service culture they have.

I’ve never liked them, they’ve lost my luggage at least 5 times, they don’t provide any assistance when you’re delayed, either there fault or otherwise, I’ve never had good experiences with them, even perennially struggling SAS are miles ahead in every measurable metric IMO.

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I’ve never liked them, they’ve lost my luggage at least 5 times, they don’t provide any assistance when you’re delayed, either there fault or otherwise, I’ve never had good experiences with them, even perennially struggling SAS are miles ahead in every measurable metric IMO.

VY is an IAG airline. I wouldn't hold my breath in your shoes.

And struggling airlines often provide great service and experience. Many times, that's a big part of why they're struggling.

a350lover

Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
Given the fact that the flight attendants and pilots are not even employed directly by Norwegian but are, instead, contracted through a third-party, I would imagine all the labor issues in a break-up of assets will be non-problematic for the acquirer.

The third-party, mainly OSM Aviation, as far as I know, I believe it belongs to Norwegian anyway. For some reason they preferred to hire the crews through that, rather than the traditional way. Even if IAG took over, they would still need all these jobs no matter in which lower conditions probably.

concordeforever

Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am

NZ321 wrote:

BA have already announced they are dropping Oakland from the end of the summer schedule, before all the takeover talk had started.....

paulstjohn

Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 am

Oakland has not been dropped completely. It is becoming Summer seasonal.

millionsofmiles

Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am

a350lover wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

The third-party, mainly OSM Aviation, as far as I know, I believe it belongs to Norwegian anyway. For some reason they preferred to hire the crews through that, rather than the traditional way. Even if IAG took over, they would still need all these jobs no matter in which lower conditions probably.

As contract workers, they don't have Scope clauses or contract-based labor protective position. If the airline is broken up and the pieces parceled out to various components of IAG, it's anybody's guess what they will do with the Norwegian crews.

a350lover

Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
a350lover wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

As contract workers, they don't have Scope clauses or contract-based labor protective position. If the airline is broken up and the pieces parceled out to various components of IAG, it's anybody's guess what they will do with the Norwegian crews.

This is quite sad and I hope that for the benefit of their future, in whatever the scenario ends up being, they find a way to secure their labor future.

kanye

Wed May 23, 2018 11:26 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Last year SAS made their biggest profit for 20 years and their main competitor might go bankrupt soon. Just a few years ago they were Europe’s biggest user of MD80s and now I think they have Europe’s biggest fleet of A320neos instead. Wouldn’t call that for a struggle right now.

EightyFour

Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Interesting, Norwegian is probably the airline I fly the most, and I don't share your experiences at all. Last time I had a delay with them, BKK-OSL, and connecting OSL-BGO, it was probably the smoothest irrops I've ever experienced in regards to assistance.

787Driver

Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

My LH flight just got cancelled last night. No info at all, no compensation besides a 15€ voucher and a lame offer of paying for my hotel 1.5 hours by car away from the airport, when it was already mid night.

Even the "premium" carriers treat passengers like crap these days

santi319

Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
it's anybody's guess what they will do with the Norwegian crews.

Theyre not Norwegian Crews, they work for OSM Aviation...

millionsofmiles

Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

santi319 wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
it's anybody's guess what they will do with the Norwegian crews.

Theyre not Norwegian Crews, they work for OSM Aviation...

I addressed the fact that they are not employed directly by Norwegian in a subsequent post when I spoke of the lack of protections.

Reading is fundamental.

f4f3a

Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 pm

I believe even though all pilots are hired through
Osm they still have balpa union recognition for collective bargaining

A380MSN004

Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm

f4f3a wrote:
I believe even though all pilots are hired through
Osm they still have balpa union recognition for collective bargaining

What benefits Norwegian have by hiring pilots and flight crews via OSM Aviation?

Mortyman

Thu May 24, 2018 10:29 am

Norwegian Financial paper DN is speculating that:

Boeing and Airbus can torpedo an IAG acquisition of Norwegian

Norwegian's giga orders with the two aircraft manufacturers are probably packed with change clauses.

Behind pay wall:

https://www.dn.no/nyheter/finans/2018/0 ... -norwegian

AF022

Thu May 24, 2018 10:52 am

787Driver wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
787Driver wrote:

But good for the competition. And by the way, anything related to Norway in your opinion is “horrible” as demonstrated many times on this forum over the years, so I’d take your comment with a huge grain of salt.

Operating at heavy losses indefinitely with no profit motive is not good for competition.

JBLUA320

Thu May 24, 2018 11:16 am

Mortyman wrote:

Norwegian's giga orders with the two aircraft manufacturers are probably packed with change clauses.

Behind pay wall:

Wouldn't be wise, though. DY can't survive on its own in its current state, so would AB/BO rather lose the orders altogether or re-engineer the agreements?

Kikko19

Thu May 24, 2018 1:43 pm

I guess it's time to change the title of this tread as FR might be interested as well :)
in norwegian (but google does a fair job)
https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegia ... n/24341433

787Driver

Thu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm

AF022 wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

But good for the competition. And by the way, anything related to Norway in your opinion is “horrible” as demonstrated many times on this forum over the years, so I’d take your comment with a huge grain of salt.

Operating at heavy losses indefinitely with no profit motive is not good for competition.

I doubt they are going to keep expanding at the same pace for the foreseeable future as they have in the past, meaning the losses you are talking about are not indefinitely but due to temporary heavy expansion, making your comment invalid.

LHRFlyer

Thu May 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Ryanair is denying it has approach Norwegian:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norwe ... KKCN1IP274

Mortyman

Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
I guess it's time to change the title of this tread as FR might be interested as well :)
in norwegian (but google does a fair job)
https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegia ... n/24341433

Yes apparently they showed an interest LAST year …

JibberJim

Thu May 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Behind pay wall:

So I can imagine the contracts containing harmful clauses against the purchases being parcelled out a few planes at a time to different operators, but really, the entire airline becoming a subsidary to one of the most blue-chip airlines there is and there are clauses that would harm that? How could that possibly be in the plane makers interest, surely they're not saying that Norwegian got a better deal than IAG could've driven?

Breathe

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:47 pm

IAG to offload Norwegian Air stake after bids fail

https://www.ft.com/content/2b6101c4-970 ... 205561c3fe

Willie Walsh, chief executive of the IAG airline group, has said it is looking to sell its shares in low-cost carrier Norwegian Air after failing to negotiate a takeover.

IAG, which owns British Airways, bought 4.6 per cent of Norwegian this year as a prelude to discussing a takeover, but had two proposals rebuffed.

Mr Walsh said: “We’re not going to keep the shares, we’re not an investor. We bought that small stake to initiate a conversation and if that conversation is not going anywhere, as it’s not, we’re not going to hold on to those shares.”

jmmadrid

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:08 pm

They could sell them to Qatar. They ARE an investor, and given the good working relationship with IAG, they could probably have them back if there was a change in circumstances.

bluefltspecial

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Breathe wrote:

Willie Walsh, chief executive of the IAG airline group, has said it is looking to sell its shares in low-cost carrier Norwegian Air after failing to negotiate a takeover.

IAG, which owns British Airways, bought 4.6 per cent of Norwegian this year as a prelude to discussing a takeover, but had two proposals rebuffed.

Mr Walsh said: “We’re not going to keep the shares, we’re not an investor. We bought that small stake to initiate a conversation and if that conversation is not going anywhere, as it’s not, we’re not going to hold on to those shares.”

This article is behind a paywall, I cannot see the date.

This was published yesterday stating that Willie was still interested in Norwegian:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norweg-air-shut-m-a-iag/iag-boss-walsh-says-still-interested-in-norwegian-deal-idUKKBN1KO0PE

SFOtoORD

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:43 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
Breathe wrote:

This was published yesterday stating that Willie was still interested in Norwegian:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-norweg-air-shut-m-a-iag/iag-boss-walsh-says-still-interested-in-norwegian-deal-idUKKBN1KO0PE

I doubt the Financial Times would falsify that WW quote. Seems like a legit story.

bluefltspecial

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
bluefltspecial wrote:
Breathe wrote:

I doubt the Financial Times would falsify that WW quote. Seems like a legit story.

I don't think anyone was questioning the Financial Times, or their ability to quote Willie.

As I'm sure you can understand if you read the article I linked, posted on Reuters UK August 3rd, BBC Radio quotes WW with the following...

“We believe that long-haul, low cost is a segment of the market that is underserved and we believe that we can do so profitably,” Willie Walsh told BBC Radio, “So while their financial performance has been stressed, I think Norwegian as part of IAG could be transformed. We’re not in any active discussions with them at the moment. We continue to look at Norwegian and we continue to have some interest in it.”

In my posting, I linked the Reuters UK article and figured that by specifically mentioning that I could not see the date on the previously linked paywall-protected article. By doing this I was implying that I cannot create a timeline of when the article was published, or when they made the decision. Given an article in the preceding 24 hours states, they were still interested in Norwegian, it would seem like the exact opposite when discharging shares of another company you were "interested" in. Make sense?

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Re: Updated: IAG to offload Norwegian Air stake after bids fail according to FT

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am

The buying of shares was just meant to force Norwegian to the table. Norwegian is still clearly not interested so makes sense to offload.

They can always go back and do the whole dance over again or just entertain talks without the shares involved at all.

I still see this as far from over as I still see no way Norwegian makes it to next summer in their current state. (Despite the headline profit, their Q2 report still showed operational losses)

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Rumor on Twitter via Ostrower via a 737 captian via a trusted source (via his uncle's roommate's cousin or whatever so take with a grain of salt) has the sale as moving forward soon.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 0706975744

Ostrower is a well informed journalist and while it's still just a rumor, it's definitely more than nothing.

parapente

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Big news if true.Merged with level I suppose if it happens.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Fake News. Tweet already, quickly deleted.

"Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!
You can search Twitter using the search box below or return to the homepage
."

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Hmm...could be either way, honestly. Deleted for being too revealing or for lack of substance.

The linked (now deleted) tweet was pretty detailed about shutting down two DY bases in Spain and getting Norwegian's seniority lists straight in preparation.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 pm

And even if IAG would want to buy Norwegian, the EU Competition Authority will need to have a hard look at it. No guarantees they will sign off on a merger.
IAG has plenty of problems already to address (BREXIT). Not sure if they can stomach a drawn out legal battle right now.

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Looking through the twitter profile, it appears to be a DY capt who made the claim. Though he's pretty careful to not have registration plates in the cockpit photos. But just judging on destinations and being 737 operator, DY would make the most sense.

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Here is the deleted tweet:

(Moderators - please remove if you don't want it here. I understand speculations like these could affect stock prices etc. The screencap is not mine, I take no responsibility for the content or it's legitimacy. The screencap is from @designerjet on Twitter, and the original tweet was made by @golfcharlie232 and retweeted by @jonostrower)

tobsw

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 am

Adding to the story (Google Translate translation).

"Iag is becoming more and more insistent on Norwegian Air so much so that it has even decided in which segment of its market to enter the Nordic low cost. But the money to be paid for the acquisition remains the main obstacle even if the sum offered and the amount requested are less distant than a few months ago."

"Walsh is willing to move forward in negotiations only in the presence of a company with improved accounts. It is no coincidence, note sources, if in this 2018 Norwegian Air has undertaken a drastic operation to contain the accounts, sell some aircraft, streamline routes, cut or reduce those at a loss, especially to secondary airports in the USA. Result: Norwegian net income for the third quarter of 2018 came in at 137 million euros, up 18% on the same period last year. The unit costs of the company, excluding fuel, decreased by 10%. "

Source: https://www.corriere.it/cronache/18_dic ... 17f7.shtml

a350lover

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Some more content to add to the story from ETurboNews, naming as well informations from Corriere:

https://www.eturbonews.com/239596/iag-f ... wegian-air

Something might be happening...

a350lover

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:34 pm

As far as I know, I think the seniority list (as in many airlines) is sent to Norwegian employees to be checked and approved by them regularly, so that all changes, updates and internal transfers are done responsibly and in correspondence to that document. I am not sure if that is connected to any specific point of a likely negotiation between IAG and Norwegian, neither to an announcement of closure of bases in Spain. Internal rumors are there always, and some people comment PMI and TFN (some of the worst performing bases in Norwegian's network in Spain) are going to see soon changes. Interestingly, PMI launched several routes to Germany this winter season, and increased frequencies to Scandinavia.

Breathe

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Northing really new here. WW does make an interesting hypothetical (and probably true) statement at the end regarding the failed BA/KLM merger back in the early 2000's.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 30903.html

IAG won't get into q bidding war for Scandinavian airline Norwegian, chief executive Willie Walsh has insisted this evening in Dublin.

IAG, which owns Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Level, acquired a 4.6pc stake in Norwegian last year and said it was interested in buying it outright.

Speaking at a dinner hosted by The Aviation Club UK, Mr Walsh said that he remains interested in Norwegian.

"I like Norwegian. I like the brand. I like what Bjorn (CEO Bjorn Kjos) had done," said Mr Walsh.

But he noted that Norwegian's share price has been declining and that there had been some rumour that another potential bidder could emerge.

"I'm not getting into a bidding war," said Mr Walsh, adding that he believed Norwegian's decision to populate its fleet with Boeing 787s was the wrong one.

Mr Walsh also said IAG "is not interested in third terminal at Dublin Airport".

Mr Walsh, a former Aer Lingus pilot and once the CEO of the airline, said BA should have done a deal to tie up with KLM years ago.

"Had KLM and BA got together it would have been a fantastic development," he said.

Mr Walsh said he's confident there will be a "comprehensive agreement" between the UK and the EU for post-Brexit aviation.

oslmgm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Breathe wrote:
(...) he believed Norwegian's decision to populate its fleet with Boeing 787s was the wrong one.

It would have been interesting to know his view on what the right airplanes for Norwegian would have been.

BrianDromey

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 pm

oslmgm wrote:
Breathe wrote:
(...) he believed Norwegian's decision to populate its fleet with Boeing 787s was the wrong one.

It would have been interesting to know his view on what the right airplanes for Norwegian would have been.

I assume the A330 given that’s what LEVEL is using. I guess it’s a play-off between capital Vs running costs. Maybe he feels that the lower capital costs would have given Norwegian a bit more breathing space.

AAR

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:59 pm

IAG does not have stakes in NAS anymore I have the full list from today..

a350lover

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Here is the deleted tweet:

(Moderators - please remove if you don't want it here. I understand speculations like these could affect stock prices etc. The screencap is not mine, I take no responsibility for the content or it's legitimacy. The screencap is from @designerjet on Twitter, and the original tweet was made by @golfcharlie232 and retweeted by @jonostrower)

Kind of right... although not only 2 bases are to be closed, instead 3.
However, an IAG takeover seems not to have been the reason for this shut down. Does anyone think yet IAG may keep some interest?

Someone83

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:56 pm

AAR wrote:
IAG does not have stakes in NAS anymore I have the full list from today..

Not necessary: the offical list do not take into considerations shares borrowed to shorters and hide shares placed at various banks. So IAG can still own the shares without being visible on the list. So this list is not giving the full picture

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos