Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Samsung to lease pair of 767 freighters

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Air Incheon will begin operating a 767-300F for Samsung's supply chain & logistics arm SDS/Cello.
The aircraft is the first of two 767 freighters to be leased from US based ATSG. The second unit is expected to follow in August.

Should this operation prove to be a success, SDS/Cello, like e-commerce giant Amazon and several freight forwarders, could choose to pursue direct control of additional own-operated freighter capacity.

Its believed a primary initial route for the capacity would be to connect facilities between Vietnam and Korea.

Air Incheon to fly first 767F for Samsung… Is Samsung Air the next Amazon Air?
https://cargofacts.com/air-incheon-to-f ... mazon-air/

https://cargofacts.com/wp-content/uploa ... 68x576.jpg

=

Interesting concept. Suppose it makes sense as Samsung certainly knows how much space it buys today from other parties, and could shift some core markets to inhouse flying.

UPlog

Re: Samsung to lease pair of 767 freighters

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Samsung surely has great insight to its ongoing core air freight needs and likely yes can do it much cheaper by purchasing entire airlift capacity then using commercial airlines for movement.
Even with negotiated corporate rates running your own entire plane likely cheaper solution for those well-established trade lanes.

aemoreira1981

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I could also see this for use with Samsung's Chinese divisions as well. This should also make Boeing accelerate its B789 freighter, as that could change the game between Asia and Europe/North America...although Boeing might not want to cannibalize its B777F freighter in the process as a B789 freighter would have slightly less range but be nearly 100t lighter.

The frame in question here, BTW, is another ex-American Airlines B763(ER). Did they see any revenue from a sale to ATSG?

CX747

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Yet another ex-AA 767 finding work after a freighter conversion. This after hearing they were all but washed up. Wonder what maintenance regiment they went through to continue on in hour heavy rolls (At least the Amazon birds)?

Sean-SAN-

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 am

Who will actually be operating this? ABX? And what routes?

janders

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:23 am

The operator is Air Incheon (a Korean cargo airline). Frames just being leased from ATSG.

travaz

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I could also see this for use with Samsung's Chinese divisions as well. This should also make Boeing accelerate its B789 freighter, as that could change the game between Asia and Europe/North America...although Boeing might not want to cannibalize its B777F freighter in the process as a B789 freighter would have slightly less range but be nearly 100t lighter.

The frame in question here, BTW, is another ex-American Airlines B763(ER). Did they see any revenue from a sale to ATSG?

I sure agree with your statements. AMZ has started Conus HNL. Samsung to HNL and then Samsung could use AMZ capacity to fill Amazon warehouses. I am sure Amazon sells tons of Samsung stuff.

yowza

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 am

Looks to be a minor action to address a specific supply constraint. If it does grow into something significant that could prove interesting but for no it's just lots of wait and see.

PS I'm impressed that we've made it to 8 comments without an exploding battery joke.

WPvsMW

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:48 am

I am an active contributor to Prime Air to HNL. :D Amazon Prime is HUGELY popular in Hawaii.

ltbewr

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:58 am

yowza wrote:
PS I'm impressed that we've made it to 8 comments without an exploding battery joke.

If they are transporting significant quantities of batteries there are risks that are far from a joke. Recall UPS 6 and several close calls. I suspect they would have to take all kinds of specialized of packaging to limit risks. Perhaps by having internally controlled distribution of such products, they can assure proper procedures can be used.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:18 pm

ATSG is simply dry-leasing the plane. Air Incheon is the operator under the 6-year contract.

http://www.aircargonews.net/news/techno ... cheon.html

jetblueguy22

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
I am an active contributor to Prime Air to HNL. :D Amazon Prime is HUGELY popular in Hawaii.

Amazon Prime is hugely popular everywhere

luv2cattlecall

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:31 pm

WPvsMW wrote:

Are there any articles about prime air to HNL? I'm finding nothing

WPvsMW

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm

I looked for some stats, but found nothing, esp. any data showing Amazon sales per capita per state. Hawaii (and AK) were retail-challenged before Amazon Prime: many online sellers would simply not ship to Hawaii (or Alaska). For those that did, they generally refused to ship USPS Flat Rate Box... meaning shipping often cost multiples more than the items purchased. Amazon Prime changed about 99% of that. My guess is that, among the States, HI and AK have the highest per capita spending on Amazon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos