avier

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - 2018 (2)

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:47 pm

^ I think that airline was QF or EK, but not sure.

unrave

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Vistara is terminating their COK-MAA-CCU v.v rotation from mid December. They already have the lowest utilisation levels in India
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

dtw2hyd

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Looks like passengers were avoiding contact with Indigo employees. Now either pay to avoid contact or take your chances.

It is common practice to allow free standard seat selection. It is going to be messy forcing people to check-in at the counter.

Viman

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:35 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Looks like passengers were avoiding contact with Indigo employees. Now either pay to avoid contact or take your chances.

It is common practice to allow free standard seat selection. It is going to be messy forcing people to check-in at the counter.

No need to force anyone, people themselves use the Check-in Kiosks at the Airports in India. Nowadays a majority of people use the Kiosks, so not much change for most of the travellers.

binayak

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Earlier I thought that web check in reduces costs as less staff at check in counters need to be deployed.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Viman

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:45 pm

binayak wrote:
Earlier I thought that web check in reduces costs as less staff at check in counters need to be deployed.

The airlines in India have already reduced the staff at the counters by at least 50%, earlier their used to be two staff per counter, now it is only one and many of the counters are empty now with zero staff. The travellers are directed towards check in kiosks and most of the people do it on their own now.

unrave

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:51 pm

binayak wrote:

This is quite evidently aimed at getting people to pay more. Imagine the queues in front of IndiGo counters on a weekday morning in BOM. Would you rather risk missing your flight - IndiGo is notorious for closing check in exactly 45 mins prior - or cough up the few hundred rupees for piece of mind?
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

Viman

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:01 pm

unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

This is quite evidently aimed at getting people to pay more. Imagine the queues in front of IndiGo counters on a weekday morning in BOM. Would you rather risk missing your flight - IndiGo is notorious for closing check in exactly 45 mins prior - or cough up the few hundred rupees for piece of mind?

This is India, nobody except handful of people will pay, everyone will just use check in Kiosks, BOM has loads of kiosks, so not much problem there. Already not much people use web check in and if you ask people to pay even that will come down, people here buy the cheapest ticket, so expecting them to pay for web check-in is hilarious.

unrave

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Viman wrote:
unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

This is India, nobody except handful of people will pay, everyone will just use check in Kiosks, BOM has loads of kiosks, so not much problem there. Already not much people use web check in and if you ask people to pay even that will come down, people here buy the cheapest ticket, so expecting them to pay for web check-in is hilarious.

Increasing ancillary revenue is one of the surest ways of shoring up LCC finances. Expect to see more nickel and diming from Indian carriers.

avier

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm

unrave wrote:

Increasing ancillary revenue is one of the surest ways of shoring up LCC finances. Expect to see more nickel and diming from Indian carriers.

Thats expected. Since fares are low and airlines are hesitant to increase them fearing loss of traffic. They are going to have to look for ways to shore up revenue.

Im surprised India hasn't yet fully allowed the pay for checked baggage system for domestic flights. I know SG uses a silly variant of that by offering a ~50rs discount fare for such, but it's not officially allowed. That was one thing AirAsia India wanted went it entered the market.

binayak

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:53 pm

unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

Of course I'd like to pay and book my seat than getting into the large queues.
Last year I had a different experience with large queues at check in counters. It was at CCU and I had barely made through half the queue with barely few minutes for my counter to close when a ground staff asked whether anyone from flight 6E xxx to Bombay was in the queue. As I was the only one to raise hand, she allowed me to skip the queue and check in thus enabling me to make it within the 45 min window. Now this is rare but I hope there are more such kind ground staff at IndiGo as queues will definitely get longer because not many will like to pay.

sabby

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:14 pm

I thought that there was a rule by DGCA that no airlines can charge for more than 50% (or something similar) of their seats' selection ?

Slash787

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:14 pm

avier wrote:
Im surprised India hasn't yet fully allowed the pay for checked baggage system for domestic flights. I know SG uses a silly variant of that by offering a ~50rs discount fare for such, but it's not officially allowed. That was one thing AirAsia India wanted went it entered the market.

Well if they ever allow that then they should lower the fares also, I flew on Air Canada from Toronto to La Gaurdia, the ticket price was like $250 one way for just a one hour flight and I had to pay $35 to check in my baggage, I was like $250 for just a 1 hour flight should have included at least one baggage.

anshabhi

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:42 pm

binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

Of course I'd like to pay and book my seat than getting into the large queues.
Last year I had a different experience with large queues at check in counters. It was at CCU and I had barely made through half the queue with barely few minutes for my counter to close when a ground staff asked whether anyone from flight 6E xxx to Bombay was in the queue. As I was the only one to raise hand, she allowed me to skip the queue and check in thus enabling me to make it within the 45 min window. Now this is rare but I hope there are more such kind ground staff at IndiGo as queues will definitely get longer because not many will like to pay.

Whenever I have less than 1 hour left, I always walk up to the counter directly or reach any staff member in my vicinity for quick check in and it works.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Slash787 wrote:
avier wrote:

Well if they ever allow that then they should lower the fares also, I flew on Air Canada from Toronto to La Gaurdia, the ticket price was like $250 one way for just a one hour flight and I had to pay $35 to check in my baggage, I was like $250 for just a 1 hour flight should have included at least one baggage.

The Indian airlines are all losing money. They need more revenue.

Unfortunately, customers are getting a free ride in the current market.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

unrave

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:05 am

sabby wrote:
I thought that there was a rule by DGCA that no airlines can charge for more than 50% (or something similar) of their seats' selection ?

No they are allowed to charge for all the seats, and they should be. Indians flyers already pay the lowest fares in the world so any move improve yields, however marginal is good for the financial health of the industry.

Meanwhile SpiceJet has also started to charge for seat selection at the time of web checkin

unrave

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 am

MoCA now wants to examine if this could be allowed. Excessive regulation is the enemy no 1 for Indian airlines

VTCIE

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am

unrave wrote:
Vistara is terminating their COK-MAA-CCU v.v rotation from mid December. They already have the lowest utilisation levels in India

Only DEL-MAA-IXZ now?
5H-TCG

lutfi

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am

Air India & Jet both saying they will only use TravelPort (who are partners with InterGlobe, who own Indigo) as a GDS to sell tickets...

anshabhi

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 am

lutfi wrote:
Air India & Jet both saying they will only use TravelPort (who are partners with InterGlobe, who own Indigo) as a GDS to sell tickets...

I am almost confident that such agreements are signed with strict confidentiality terms, and TravelPort won't be allowed to share any data with IndiGo at all.

avier

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

6E themselves use Travelport GDS and PRS of Navitaire. I wonder if they got a nice deal to use Travelport through their parent Co.
I wonder how SG and G8 sell their tickets globally, apart from their websites.

CPS001

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm

VTCIE wrote:
unrave wrote:

Only DEL-MAA-IXZ now?

DEL-MAA-DEL too.
Follow me on Flickr
Subscribe to my channel on YouTube

lightsaber
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 pm

[url][/url]
anshabhi wrote:
lutfi wrote:

I am almost confident that such agreements are signed with strict confidentiality terms, and TravelPort won't be allowed to share any data with IndiGo at all.

If United Technologies can make FADACs for practically everyone, a GDS could sell tickets.

The partners is for side sales. I'm sure the confidentiality clauses are strict.

One friend sets up massive internet selling sites, including for copier and printer companies (he works for Xerox). They make it work.
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

vadodara

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:03 am

Slash787 wrote:
avier wrote:

That is why LGA slots are at a premium; airlines can charge whatever they want.

This point is somehow lost when debating why Tata’s are interested in 9W. BOM has only 40-50% of LGA’s capacity. In one combines JFK and EWR, BOM has only about 15-20% capacity of NYC. Roughly the same population base.

Granted that the economic levels are very different but should BOM should be able to extract some pricing leverage.

unrave

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 am

More on privatisation of 6 airports:
Concession period will be for 50 years
100% privatisation to be allowed unlike DEL and BOM where AAI holds a residual stake
A bidder will be allowed to bid for any number of airports
No restrictions on land side commercial development - this was a major sticking point in the previous attempt to invite primate management at JAI and AMD

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... TOIDesktop

avier

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:13 am

A very sensible author who highlighted the issues of the industry and justified the recent seat select charges. One who understands the nature of the industry and it's economics.

Unlike outher doofus journalists that just moan to the tunes of the crowd.

Opinion | Freebies are wants, not must-haves — whittle your expectations, flyers

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/opinion-freebies-are-wants-not-must-haves-whittle-your-expectations-flyers-3222361.html

sand26391

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am

SilkAir flights between Bengaluru and Singapore will be retimed effective 01 December 2018. This will offer our passengers greater convenience by permitting additional connections to destinations Nagoya, Los Angeles, New York and Johannesburg.

binayak

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am

people fly to JNB via SIN? That's quite a weird routing IMO.
Plus JFK via SIN means flying XXX -SIN -FRA -JFK which is too long a route.

unrave

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:20 am

binayak wrote:

The world's longest flight Singapore-New York

JOYA380B747

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 am

binayak wrote:
people fly to JNB via SIN?That's quite a weird routing IMO.

Not any weirder than flying via ME3.
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

vadodara

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm

binayak wrote:

So long it is fastest and cost efficient along with decent service.

SQ probably fits the bill here.

avier

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 pm

vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Definitely not the fastest.

VTCIE

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 pm

unrave wrote:
More on privatisation of 6 airports:
Concession period will be for 50 years
100% privatisation to be allowed unlike DEL and BOM where AAI holds a residual stake
A bidder will be allowed to bid for any number of airports
No restrictions on land side commercial development - this was a major sticking point in the previous attempt to invite primate management at JAI and AMD

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... TOIDesktop

At least AMD, LKO, etc. should be brought up to par with international standards, because MAA and CCU never will. I hope the private companies transform the fortunes of these airports, and bring more international flights to GAU and IXE in particular (today Drukair is the only international operator at GAU).

I wonder why PNQ wasn't considered for privatisation. Is it because it is partly controlled by the army? If so, VTZ and IXC cannot be privatised either.
5H-TCG

binayak

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm

unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

The world's longest flight Singapore-New York

Has only Y+ and J seats. I'm sure no premium traveller from any part of India will fly to NYC via SIN. There are tons of other options available.
SQ provides ultra cheap fares for India US because they mainly cater the tourist (Y) traffic here. Flying via SIN to be it East Coast or West coast is too long. The only premium traffic SQ gets from India is SE and Australia /NZ.

vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Fastest?? Definitely not.

unrave

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 pm

VTCIE wrote:

I wonder why PNQ wasn't considered for privatisation. Is it because it is partly controlled by the army? If so, VTZ and IXC cannot be privatised either.

The new Pune airport at Purandar will be a PPP airport though, besides AAI is investing more than 2000 cr for building a new terminal at the existing airport at Lohegaon

VTORD

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:22 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
binayak wrote:

One would expect BLR-DXB/AUH and BLR-SIN are about the same but DXB/AUH-JNB would be significantly shorter than SIN-JNB.
Twitter: @spottingfoodie

EmoticonsAllDay

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:00 pm

VTORD wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:
binayak wrote:

One would expect BLR-DXB/AUH and BLR-SIN are about the same but DXB/AUH-JNB would be significantly shorter than SIN-JNB.

If you are a Star member, there are perks travelling with SQ/SA rather than flying EK/EY/QR. In the same way, if you are a member of any of the ME3 frequent flyer programs, it would benefit travelling through them.

That said, for an average Joe, the cheapest fare would matter the most. Not the duration of the travel.

BawliBooch

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 am

avier wrote:
A very sensible author who highlighted the issues of the industry and justified the recent seat select charges. One who understands the nature of the industry and it's economics.

Unlike outher doofus journalists that just moan to the tunes of the crowd.

Opinion | Freebies are wants, not must-haves — whittle your expectations, flyers

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/opinion-freebies-are-wants-not-must-haves-whittle-your-expectations-flyers-3222361.html

Shishir is a notorious pen-for-hire! In the past he has written glowing puff pieces for companies in moneycontrol. Thats his job. But hardly credible!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

vadodara

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:44 am

avier wrote:
vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Definitely not the fastest.

Considering SQ just started several US nonstops on 350, they may have enough willing fliers.

dtw2hyd

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:45 am

There is an appetite for sensational news as long as it doesn't involve your own money. No one is going to believe what this guy wrote and start paying for seat selection or any nickel and dime scheme even if it has blessings from a ministry on speed-dial.

unrave

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 am

vadodara wrote:
Considering SQ just started several US nonstops on 350, they may have enough willing fliers.

SQ is often the best option for flying to the US west coast from airports in the south.

unrave

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
There is an appetite for sensational news as long as it doesn't involve your own money. No one is going to believe what this guy wrote and start paying for seat selection or any nickel and dime scheme even if it has blessings from a ministry on speed-dial.

Even the so called full service carriers nickel and dime under the guise of basic economy fares in the great land of Amreeka no?

BawliBooch

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 am

The Indian market is not Amreeka. People will not go for a nickel diming airline if an alternative is available.

Team Indigo is hoping that all alternatives end up getting grounded. Hence the concerted media campaign against Jet Airways since February. But the competition is proving to be too strong. There is only so much cash Indigo has on hand and it is rapidly drying up. Competitors otoh are preparing to use Indigo's nickel diming in their own counter campaign. This is going to hit Indigo hard!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

unrave

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:43 am

The thing about holding 43% market share is that in a lot of cases pax don't have a choice.

bostrv

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:23 am

BawliBooch wrote:
The Indian market is not Amreeka. People will not go for a nickel diming airline if an alternative is available.

Team Indigo is hoping that all alternatives end up getting grounded. Hence the concerted media campaign against Jet Airways since February. But the competition is proving to be too strong. There is only so much cash Indigo has on hand and it is rapidly drying up. Competitors otoh are preparing to use Indigo's nickel diming in their own counter campaign. This is going to hit Indigo hard!

People are people all over the world. If you are travelling alone, the cost of seat selection is not going to be huge. If you are traveling with family, just the fact that an airline would charge for seat assignments together would make you pay for it.

Indigo isnt charging much - around $3? Thats the cost of a beverage in most Indian airports nowadays?

bostrv

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:26 am

unrave wrote:
The thing about holding 43% market share is that in a lot of cases pax don't have a choice.

43% is nation wide. In most non-metro airports, it is more.

6E flies TRV-BLR 5 x daily now, and is the only operator that has a daily flight on that sector. It has 3 out of 4 x in TRV-MAA. This could be the case with a lot of airports.

unrave

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 am

Govt approves sale of its entire stake in AIATSL, the ground handling arm of Air India
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 3g.twitter

avier

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:34 am

bostrv wrote:
unrave wrote:

43% is nation wide. In most non-metro airports, it is more.

6E flies TRV-BLR 5 x daily now, and is the only operator that has a daily flight on that sector. It has 3 out of 4 x in TRV-MAA. This could be the case with a lot of airports.

Yes. And for those you aren't aware, even SG has joined into this. So combined that's more than 50% market share. And the two carriers have more dominance on many non-metro routes like stated, some times they have a duopoly and even a monopoly. So not much the pax can do about .

Also hilarious reactions on social media to this, with some saying bye to 6E and hello to Vistara. Which is moving from a 43% market share airline to 3%. Very smart. Beyond DEL and BLR, Vistara has a very limited network.

Also, if the rival carrier is priced any more than 6E or SG + their seat charges, then it's silly to consider the rival carrier just because they feel seat selection is free, when total fare will be much higher.

Looks like a genius country when it comes to calculation.

They can all hate 6E, but I'm sure they'll still (have to) fly them. Nothing can match their scale, network and frequency. So for any pax to avoid them would be their loss and not the airlines.

AI on the other hand won't resort to all this. Because they have no need afterall to increase their revenues. They have unlimited cash coming from the govt. So they just pretend like it's all fine and continue with their old inflated ways of doing things.

unrave

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:29 am

Inaugural schedule at CNN
Kannur – Abu Dhabi eff 09DEC18 3 weekly (schedule below from 11DEC18)
IX715 CNN0900 – 1130AUH 738 247
IX716 AUH1230 – 1800CNN 738 247

Kannur – Doha eff 10DEC18 4 weekly
IX773 CNN2020 – 2200DOH 738 x457
IX774 DOH2300 – 0545CNN 738 x457

Kannur – Riyadh eff 09DEC18 3 weekly
IX721 CNN2105 – 2330RUH 738 457
IX722 RUH0035 – 0800CNN 738 156

Kannur – Sharjah eff 10DEC18 4 weekly
IX743 CNN0900 – 1130SHJ 738 x247
IX744 SHJ1230 – 1740CNN 738 x247

Credit: Airlineroute
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2018/

VTCIE

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 pm

unrave wrote:
Inaugural schedule at CNN
Kannur – Abu Dhabi eff 09DEC18 3 weekly (schedule below from 11DEC18)
IX715 CNN0900 – 1130AUH 738 247
IX716 AUH1230 – 1800CNN 738 247

Kannur – Doha eff 10DEC18 4 weekly
IX773 CNN2020 – 2200DOH 738 x457
IX774 DOH2300 – 0545CNN 738 x457

Kannur – Riyadh eff 09DEC18 3 weekly
IX721 CNN2105 – 2330RUH 738 457
IX722 RUH0035 – 0800CNN 738 156

Kannur – Sharjah eff 10DEC18 4 weekly
IX743 CNN0900 – 1130SHJ 738 x247
IX744 SHJ1230 – 1740CNN 738 x247

Credit: Airlineroute
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2018/

IX will control CNN the way it does CCJ with its bunch of Middle Eastern routes. Don't expect too many domestic flights. It will be difficult for 6E to have a sizeable presence at CNN since almost every flight must be to the ME.

BTW, while SHJ is very close to Dubai (closer than DXB itself), IX might have tried to get a CNN-DXB flight by replacing an existing route. There's something to be said for flying to the region's superconnector airport. Then again, Malayalis rarely connect, if ever, and are happy stopping at the Middle East.
5H-TCG

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos