Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

First Class Service in MGM

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm a new member here and have thoroughly enjoyed the site. Thanks for letting me be a part of it!
Have recently enjoyed the First Class service that AA had been providing on flights to and from MGM and DFW. Just noticed that the aircraft has been changed back to the E-145. Is this a permanent down-grade for MGM?

drdisque

Re: First Class Service in MGM

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Nothing in the airline industry is "permanent" except retirements.

I would wager that at some point in the future, there will be 2-class service offered on MGM-DFW again.

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks...we're not particularly blessed with a full compliment of service out of MGM. Sometimes I wish we could garner at least a wayward 319 or a 737-700.

evank516

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I didn't realize that DL is flying MGM with all CRJs right now. I would have thought that maybe they would have at least one flight per day with first class available.

DiamondFlyer

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 pm

evank516 wrote:
I didn't realize that DL is flying MGM with all CRJs right now. I would have thought that maybe they would have at least one flight per day with first class available.

It’s a short flight to a smallish market close to ATL. The fact they have as many flights as they do is amazing to me. What’s the difference in first and coach on a 25 minute Flight?

Dominion301

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 pm

drdisque wrote:
Nothing in the airline industry is "permanent" except retirements.

I would wager that at some point in the future, there will be 2-class service offered on MGM-DFW again.

Even retirements sometimes aren't permanent. See the regionals with their reactivations of 'retired' RJs...or my favourite was AC's unretirement of L10s in the mid-90s.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:

It’s a short flight to a smallish market close to ATL. The fact they have as many flights as they do is amazing to me. What’s the difference in first and coach on a 25 minute Flight?

No free drinks, tiny cramped seat, no premium snacks, less mileage earnings, etc. The flights from MGM-ATL are an hour, not sure where you got 25-mins from?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL3596

MartijnNL

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
The flights from MGM-ATL are an hour, not sure where you got 25-mins from?

According to http://www.gcmap.com the distance between Atlanta and Montgomery is 147 miles. How can that take an hour? A flight time of 25 minutes sounds just right to me.

I have been on a flight from Helsinki to Jyväskylä. The distance between those cities in Finland is also 147 miles. My flight lasted exactly 25 minutes.

twicearound

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:

No free drinks, tiny cramped seat, no premium snacks, less mileage earnings, etc. The flights from MGM-ATL are an hour, not sure where you got 25-mins from?

While the BLOCK may be an hour, the FLIGHT is in fact closer to 30 minutes or less.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:

They may block an hour, but actual flying time is about 25 minutes, which makes it a non-service flight, regardless of CRJ-200 or 700 or 900. Unfortunately for MGM right now, they have the slowest CR2 operator for DL right now.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm

twicearound wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

While the BLOCK may be an hour, the FLIGHT is in fact closer to 30 minutes or less.

The link I provided is for flightaware which shows flying time, not blocked time like dl.com. Look at the times for the flight this week:
Friday 4/6 - 1 hour 1 min
Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

Where are you seeing 25-mins?

RamblinMan

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:42 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

According to http://www.gcmap.com the distance between Atlanta and Montgomery is 147 miles. How can that take an hour? A flight time of 25 minutes sounds just right to me.

I have been on a flight from Helsinki to Jyväskylä. The distance between those cities in Finland is also 147 miles. My flight lasted exactly 25 minutes.

Wow we're really impressed you've been to Finland. Now quit nitpicking. If it's 25 minutes in flight, once you add in boarding time, taxi time on both ends, disembarkation, you're on the damn thing at least 45 minutes, often closer to an hour.

I think it's a legitimate gripe. If I shell out thousands for a MGM-ATL-Europe J class ticket, I'm going to be somewhat annoyed that any part of that itinerary is in cramped Y seats on a CR2. Kinda like how our European members are hating on BA right now because their domestic J is such a joke. If you pay premium prices, you at least want a more comfortable chair on the regional connection even if there is no service.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
twicearound wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

The link I provided is for flightaware which shows flying time, not blocked time like dl.com. Look at the times for the flight this week:
Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

Flight aware is using block time. The actual flight time on that flight, was 32 minutes...

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:57 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Wow we're really impressed you've been to Finland. Now quit nitpicking. If it's 25 minutes in flight, once you add in boarding time, taxi time on both ends, disembarkation, you're on the damn thing at least 45 minutes, often closer to an hour.

I think it's a legitimate gripe. If I shell out thousands for a MGM-ATL-Europe J class ticket, I'm going to be somewhat annoyed that any part of that itinerary is in cramped Y seats on a CR2. Kinda like how our European members are hating on BA right now because their domestic J is such a joke. If you pay premium prices, you at least want a more comfortable chair on the regional connection even if there is no service.

That may be true, but you'll lose frequency going from CR2 to CR7/9. So you're 1 hour connection in ATL to go to MGM, very well may turn into a 2.5 hour connection, at which point you could have just driven to MGM...

aeropix

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Might be the perfect city to re-launch MGM Grand Air! I bet the OP would enjoy the first class on a robust 727-100 on that route. And it would befit the City's airport code too.

Actually, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be a reminiscence of that airline...

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Doing First Class on DL is muchado about nothing. I was in their First Class cabin from BHM to ATL one morning. The FA never left her seat so I get it. However, on the AA flights to/from CLT or DFW, a First Class cabin would certainly be an improvement, especially for those of us in excess of six feet tall.

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm

aeropix wrote:
Might be the perfect city to re-launch MGM Grand Air! I bet the OP would enjoy the first class on a robust 727-100 on that route. And it would befit the City's airport code too.

Actually, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be a reminiscence of that airline...

My first flight was on a Piedmont 727-100 so it wouldn't be all that unusual.

evank516

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 pm

IFlyMGN wrote:
Doing First Class on DL is muchado about nothing. I was in their First Class cabin from BHM to ATL one morning. The FA never left her seat so I get it. However, on the AA flights to/from CLT or DFW, a First Class cabin would certainly be an improvement, especially for those of us in excess of six feet tall.

But who is MGM's largest carrier? AA or DL? Between flights to CLT and DFW AA only has 5 flights but DL has 7 to ATL despite all being on a CRJ. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of market share.

Also, DL has flown larger RJs into MGM before. I just saw a picture of a CRJ-900 at the jetway in MGM.

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

evank516 wrote:
IFlyMGN wrote:

But who is MGM's largest carrier? AA or DL? Between flights to CLT and DFW AA only has 5 flights but DL has 7 to ATL despite all being on a CRJ. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of market share.

Also, DL has flown larger RJs into MGM before. I just saw a picture of a CRJ-900 at the jetway in MGM.

I would suspect that's more of a fluke rather than a scheduled service upgrade. DL loves to send those CRJ-200's over here.

evank516

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm

IFlyMGN wrote:
evank516 wrote:
IFlyMGN wrote:

I would suspect that's more of a fluke rather than a scheduled service upgrade. DL loves to send those CRJ-200's over here.

True, but also knowing DL's scheduling practices, I'm surprised to not see at least a CR7 for an RON rotation.

MartijnNL

Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:53 pm

RamblinMan wrote:

No need to be impressed. And no need for such a reply. What do you mean by nitpicking? I was only asking how a 147 mile flight can take 25 minutes in Europe and one hour in the United States?

And I never get it why people on an aviation enthusiast website refer to an aircraft as a damn thing. I love to be in the air. I am as happy to be on a 747 as I am on a CR2.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:01 pm

evank516 wrote:
IFlyMGN wrote:
evank516 wrote:

True, but also knowing DL's scheduling practices, I'm surprised to not see at least a CR7 for an RON rotation.

I would be. The EV CR7's are leaving the fleet by the end of the year, leaving very few 700's in ATL.

WkndWanderer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:06 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

No need to be impressed. And no need for such a reply. What do you mean by nitpicking? I was only asking how a 147 mile flight can take 25 minutes in Europe and one hour in the United States?

And I never get it why people on an aviation enthusiast website refer to an aircraft as a damn thing. I love to be in the air. I am as happy to be on a 747 as I am on a CR2.

ATL obviously has much more inbound traffic, the flight times on quite a few of these short flights into large hubs during peak arrival times are longer than they are the other way around, especially if the weather is bad. I've been on an ORF-DCA flight that was north of an hour, and on DCA-ORF flights that were 20 minutes.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:39 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

Flight aware is using block time. The actual flight time on that flight, was 32 minutes...

According to flightaware the flight time is calculated from takeoff to touchdown - https://flightaware.com/about/faq#airline1

Where do you see they use block time?

You see where it says Gate Departure: 5:35AM, then takeoff at 5:55AM... Landing 7:27AM, Gate Arrival 7:36... Or read this link https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... L/tracklog

clrd4t8koff

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:40 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
twicearound wrote:

Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

According to flightaware the flight time is calculated from takeoff to touchdown - https://flightaware.com/about/faq#airline1

Where do you see they use block time?

evank516

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:46 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:
IFlyMGN wrote:

I would be. The EV CR7's are leaving the fleet by the end of the year, leaving very few 700's in ATL.

Okay, then a CR9. Either way DL has a habit of overnighting a larger aircraft at an outstation that usually sees smaller RJs during the day. Stations like GNV, CRW, AVL, and CHA see this type of arrangement.

KICT

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Just be glad you have service at all.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:03 pm

KICT wrote:

Exactly, its not like MGM has any sort of tourism, nor any significant business or education ties. Without Maxwell AFB, I doubt they'd have anywhere near the service they have now.

usflyer msp

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
KICT wrote:

Exactly, its not like MGM has any sort of tourism, nor any significant business or education ties. Without Maxwell AFB, I doubt they'd have anywhere near the service they have now.

You do realize MGM serves the capital of Alabama...

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
KICT wrote:

There's a key word there, ALABAMA... Just being the capital of a state doesn't mean crap, some state capitals don't have airline service at all...

twicearound

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:46 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
twicearound wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

Oh vey, let me help you help yourself. If you look to the right of the flight aware page it breaks it down for you. Maybe you're confused because there is a time change or what have you, but let's use some common sense here, its a 200nm flight and the BLOCK time is only around 1 HOUR. Those start to finish times you see is the GATE DEPARTURE AND THE GATE ARRIVAL

usflyer msp

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

There's a key word there, ALABAMA... Just being the capital of a state doesn't mean crap, some state capitals don't have airline service at all...

Alabama may have reputation of being culturally backwards but it still is a developed economy (Alabama and Finland have the roughly the same GDP) and the seat of its state government is going to attract business traffic...

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Alabama may have reputation of being culturally backwards but it still is a developed economy (Alabama and Finland have the roughly the same GDP) and the seat of its state government is going to attract business traffic...

I know, I fly there. MGM is a dump, the airport is a dump. HSV is nicer, MOB is nicer, heck even DHN is a nicer airport.

KICT

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I wasn't aware all state capitols required first class airline service.
It could be worse. You could live in Cheyenne, WY and have zero airline service.
And the service you did have would have been on B1900s.

MIflyer12

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Short flights are ideal uses of CR2s. Smaller planes allow higher frequency, and then you can get anywhere from ATL. If the OP's destination is Dallas (or most anywhere else in Texas) I understand his preference for AA.

When I was heading to MGM in the early 90s, Delta MD-88s were highly preferred to the NW Airlink Saabs from MEM, and briefly the even smaller I don't know whats from AA out of BNA.

RamblinMan

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm

MartijnNL wrote:

Sorry if I misinterpreted, it came off as you name-dropping some exotic route and trying to "prove" that another poster was wrong about flight times by comparing it to another route which is entirely dissimilar. ATL can be a pain to fly in or out, long ground wait times are frequent. 25 minutes in the air is easily double that in terms of time inside the plane.

MartijnNL wrote:

Even someone who enjoys aviation doesn't necessarily enjoy sitting on the tarmac in a CRJ, especially when already weary from an international flight. Does any airline want its HVCs arriving home thinking how glad they were to have bought a fantastic J-class seat and wanting to do it again, or thinking how happy they are to be done?

I'm not suggesting that every frequency be swapped for a larger planes but carriers can see big returns in small stations by offering a few mainline or large RJ options. Here in CHA, there used to be nothing but ATRs to ATL, now there's 3 MD-88s a day mixed in with the CR2s. Just one option with an F cabin that connects to/from major international banks can help retain high yield clientele.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:58 am

RamblinMan wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

Sorry if I misinterpreted, it came off as you name-dropping some exotic route and trying to "prove" that another poster was wrong about flight times by comparing it to another route which is entirely dissimilar. ATL can be a pain to fly in or out, long ground wait times are frequent. 25 minutes in the air is easily double that in terms of time inside the plane.

MartijnNL wrote:

Even someone who enjoys aviation doesn't necessarily enjoy sitting on the tarmac in a CRJ, especially when already weary from an international flight. Does any airline want its HVCs arriving home thinking how glad they were to have bought a fantastic J-class seat and wanting to do it again, or thinking how happy they are to be done?

I'm not suggesting that every frequency be swapped for a larger planes but carriers can see big returns in small stations by offering a few mainline or large RJ options. Here in CHA, there used to be nothing but ATRs to ATL, now there's 3 MD-88s a day mixed in with the CR2s. Just one option with an F cabin that connects to/from major international banks can help retain high yield clientele.

You realize there are a finite number of RJ's at Delta, no? And obviously they make more money not being in MGM.

usflyer msp

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:56 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

I know, I fly there. MGM is a dump, the airport is a dump. HSV is nicer, MOB is nicer, heck even DHN is a nicer airport.

The airport might be a dump, never been there. I am just disputing the MGM should be thankful that it has any service at all argument.

clrd4t8koff

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:16 pm

twicearound wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
twicearound wrote:

Thursday 4/5 - 57 mins
Wednesday 4/4 - 57mins
Tuesday 4/3 - 52 mins

Oh vey, let me help you help yourself. If you look to the right of the flight aware page it breaks it down for you. Maybe you're confused because there is a time change or what have you, but let's use some common sense here, its a 200nm flight and the BLOCK time is only around 1 HOUR. Those start to finish times you see is the GATE DEPARTURE AND THE GATE ARRIVAL

Okay, that's fair. I was genuinely confused and asking where Flightaware was showing blocked time.

The whole point of my posts is that several have questioned why MGM needs F class on a flight like MGM-ATL when it's "only a 25-min flight." When my whole point has been you're on the plane much longer than 25-mins, with total flight time around an hour (which includes taxi out, take off, landing, taxi to gate). That's basically the total butt-in-seat time.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:23 pm

For me as a frequent flyer, the key difference isn't so much the ability to get upgraded to first class on an hour-long flight. It's that the presence of first class generally signifies a more comfortable aircraft in coach.

And this idea that MGM is lucky to have any service at all is just silly. Good grief.

TYSflyer

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
For me as a frequent flyer, the key difference isn't so much the ability to get upgraded to first class on an hour-long flight. It's that the presence of first class generally signifies a more comfortable aircraft in coach.

And this idea that MGM is lucky to have any service at all is just silly. Good grief.

Agreed! I was quite surprised a few years back to discover that Montgomery has a city population of 200,000 plus. Granted the metro population is only about twice that. I’m sure that many on here do not realize that.

CIDFlyer

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

I've been to MGM (city, not airport) its a decent sized city of 200,000 not to mention the state capital. Granted its not the center of excitement but its not in the backwoods either. As mentioned its a state capital which generates some govt traffic, Maxwell AFB is there, not to mention a large Hyundai Motor Plant as well, and Troy and Auburn Universities arent too far away (granted I would assume most traffic generated by Auburn would probably fly to ATL and drive there). I would certainly think it could support a CR9 or even a 717 on the early flight out to ATL/late flight in. Even some close in outposts like CHA and CAE see mainline to ATL. EVV a city of similar size even gets a 717 to ATL. I did see AA has been sending a CR7 to CLT on a mid morning flight but not sure how consistent that runs.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:14 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
I've been to MGM (city, not airport) its a decent sized city of 200,000 not to mention the state capital. Granted its not the center of excitement but its not in the backwoods either. As mentioned its a state capital which generates some govt traffic, Maxwell AFB is there, not to mention a large Hyundai Motor Plant as well, and Troy and Auburn Universities arent too far away (granted I would assume most traffic generated by Auburn would probably fly to ATL and drive there). I would certainly think it could support a CR9 or even a 717 on the early flight out to ATL/late flight in. Even some close in outposts like CHA and CAE see mainline to ATL. EVV a city of similar size even gets a 717 to ATL. I did see AA has been sending a CR7 to CLT on a mid morning flight but not sure how consistent that runs.

Again, in a world with no limits on the number of airplanes DL has, I'd say you're correct. But there's is a finite number of airframes in the fleet at DL, and apparently they believe those planes make more money in other cities than MGM...

RJNUT

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Ultimately, MGM will be offered "cabin class" aircraft in DL's long-term goals. Just have patience.

MartijnNL

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:37 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Alabama and Finland have the roughly the same GDP

:thumbsup: Thank you for this fun fact!

MartijnNL

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
(...)Here in CHA, there used to be nothing but ATRs to ATL, now there's 3 MD-88s a day mixed in with the CR2s.

Thanks for explaining your reply, RamblinMan. As I live in Europe a domestic flight in Finland is not exotic to me. It just happened to be precisely the same distance as the Atlanta - Montgomery flight. Flying to Montgomery or Chattanooga (I had to look CHA up) would be exotic to me. ;)

And 3 MD-88's a day, that sounds like heaven to me!

MartijnNL

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 pm

IFlyMGN wrote:
I'm a new member here and have thoroughly enjoyed the site. Thanks for letting me be a part of it!

Welcome aboard! Shouldn't your user name be IFlyMGM?

IFlyMGN
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 am

MartijnNL wrote:
IFlyMGN wrote:

Welcome aboard! Shouldn't your user name be IFlyMGM?

That’s what I was attempting but got fat fingered between the m and n on the keyboard before I realized my error.

ATLgaUSA

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 am

Montgomery is the state capital but most of the travel it generates is local (statewide) in nature. Birmingham is the business center of Alabama and that’s where the business aviation traffic is generated. I’d guess most of the business traffic from MGM, other than Maxwell, bleeds to Birmingham and Atlanta.

PresRDC

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 am

Back in the late 1970s and 1980s, my grandfather lived in MGM. I remember flying on Delta LGA-ATL-MGM, often flying on a L-1011 to ATL and a B727 to MGM. I recall there being at least 3-4 Delta flights per day using a combo of 727s and DC-9s. Eastern operated similar frequencies with similar equipment.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos