Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

globetrotter94

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Avianca wrote:
Dear all, any idea how the IST-HAV-CCS-IST and IST-BOG-PTY-IST flights are doing,
At least from test bookings - it seems that Businss Class on the BOG-PTY flight is doing quite good.

Cheers
Avianca

I think IST-HAV-CCS-IST has now been split up into separate flights: IST-HAV-IST and IST-CCS-IST. I would imagine that TK is making an absolute killing on the CCS flights due to the big hole left by so many airlines pulling out of CCS over the past 1.5 years.

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 pm

mafaky wrote:
About the VIP 340-500. What happened there? Bought for $78M, built for Tunisian president, 9 yrs old, got refurbished in the US after purchase for many months, probably millions of dollars went to refurbishing.... why???
Either; they sold it to for profit ( to whom???), not enough usage??, or maybe found a better deal on an upgrade; 747/380/350/787 type??
Any ideas??

Simple & quick answer: Turkish Republic is a very rich and generous State!... And not poor enough to use a 9 yr. old frame for VIP/Presidential flights!... :roll: :mad:

And why to insist on using a fuel-thirsty 345, anyway? :airplane: :ugeek:

Wait... so am I to understand that that beautiful A340-500 TC-CAN is already gone--as in no longer even in VIP service (any possibility it was handed over to the Air Force to operate)? If the answer is still yes, then dammit... :banghead:

MoonC

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:15 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
mafaky wrote:
About the VIP 340-500. What happened there? Bought for $78M, built for Tunisian president, 9 yrs old, got refurbished in the US after purchase for many months, probably millions of dollars went to refurbishing.... why???
Either; they sold it to for profit ( to whom???), not enough usage??, or maybe found a better deal on an upgrade; 747/380/350/787 type??
Any ideas??

Simple & quick answer: Turkish Republic is a very rich and generous State!... And not poor enough to use a 9 yr. old frame for VIP/Presidential flights!... :roll: :mad:

Wait... so am I to understand that that beautiful A340-500 TC-CAN is already gone--as in no longer even in VIP service (any possibility it was handed over to the Air Force to operate)? If the answer is still yes, then dammit... :banghead:

It was a mistake to get it in the first place.
It looks good, I agree, but what do they need it for? Istanbul - Auckland flights?

aldrigsomandre

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
Avianca wrote:
Dear all, any idea how the IST-HAV-CCS-IST and IST-BOG-PTY-IST flights are doing,
At least from test bookings - it seems that Businss Class on the BOG-PTY flight is doing quite good.

Cheers
Avianca

I think IST-HAV-CCS-IST has now been split up into separate flights: IST-HAV-IST and IST-CCS-IST. I would imagine that TK is making an absolute killing on the CCS flights due to the big hole left by so many airlines pulling out of CCS over the past 1.5 years.

To add to this bit of information, TK is also looking at additional traffic rights and capacity for the BOG-PTY route, it's only a matter of time before this route splits up with 5-weekly or daily flights for each. (Source: PTY TK Personnel)

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm

MoonC wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
mafaky wrote:

It looks good, I agree, but what do they need it for? Istanbul - Auckland flights?

Well, maybe the Reis-i Cumhur has to go to Auckland sometimes--or even further away such as Fiji, Tahiti, etc. In any case, one major role of the VIP transport is as an advertisement of the state, and I don't think anyone can deny that, at least from an avgeek standpoint, TC-CAN was a FANTASTIC ad for Turkiye!

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 pm

MoonC wrote:

Agreed. I used to think the same way. Why would a developing country need a 340-500 VIP jet, when it already has 1 x 330-200 VIP, 1 x 319 VIP (another 319VIP on order), few other Business Jets, helicopters.... and a very capable flag carrier that have dozens of Long Range planes?
You have to think differently. This is the edge of Middle East. Every other country has a big VIP jet, size still matters :)
Erdogan likes to travel a lot. Between 2002-2014 as a prime minister he travelled to 93 different countries for a total of 305 times. Since then, he became the president and he travelled to 75 countries for 86 times ( Please correct me if you have more recent numbers)
They found this 340-500 for $78M, and who knows how much they spent on top during refurbishments. Still, not a bad deal, I think in terms of procurement.
AFAIK, every time this 340-500 leaves Turkey for a long trip, it does it with a full fuel load, capable of flying over 16 hours. Just like the US president, Turkish Air Force Cargo planes fly VIP armored vehicles for the president ahead of him to his destination.
So, without going any further I will leave it here, with just the facts that I know.
And please please next VIP, get a better livery, this red-white Turkish Flag thing is so boring :(
Just take a look at AF1, so classy :)

MoonC

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:43 pm

TK787 wrote:
Agreed. I used to think the same way. Why would a developing country need a 340-500 VIP jet, when it already has 1 x 330-200 VIP, 1 x 319 VIP (another 319VIP on order), few other Business Jets, helicopters.... and a very capable flag carrier that have dozens of Long Range planes?
You have to think differently. This is the edge of Middle East. Every other country has a big VIP jet, size still matters :)

So it's basically a dick measuring contest with the Arabs?

TK787 wrote:
Erdogan likes to travel a lot. Between 2002-2014 as a prime minister he travelled to 93 different countries for a total of 305 times. Since then, he became the president and he travelled to 75 countries for 86 times ( Please correct me if you have more recent numbers)
They found this 340-500 for $78M, and who knows how much they spent on top during refurbishments. Still, not a bad deal, I think in terms of procurement.
AFAIK, every time this 340-500 leaves Turkey for a long trip, it does it with a full fuel load, capable of flying over 16 hours. Just like the US president, Turkish Air Force Cargo planes fly VIP armored vehicles for the president ahead of him to his destination.
So, without going any further I will leave it here, with just the facts that I know.
And please please next VIP, get a better livery, this red-white Turkish Flag thing is so boring :(
Just take a look at AF1, so classy :)

So what exactly could the A345 do that the A332 couldn't? A few extra miles and a few extra pax?
I feel the same way about AF1. A 777-200LR or 787-8/-9 would be enough for the U.S. pres. What will they need the future 747-8i for?

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:45 pm

MoonC wrote:
So it's basically a dick measuring contest with the Arabs?

Unfortunately, that is one thing presidential jets end up being used for... :)

MoonC wrote:
I feel the same way about AF1. A 777-200LR or 787-8/-9 would be enough for the U.S. pres. What will they need the future 747-8i for?

I think there is actually a requirement that AF1 be a 4-engined jet for double-redundancy.

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 pm

MoonC wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
I think there is actually a requirement that AF1 be a 4-engined jet for double-redundancy.

So they basically don't trust the reliability of twins. They got to have 4 engines in the (very) unlikely scenario where two engines go out. The same standart is of course not applied for everyday pax where twins are basically the norm.

Quite so. It's the US government's usual way of thinking--overdesign the hell out of everything.

MoonC

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:

So they basically don't trust the reliability of twins. They got to have 4 engines in the (very) unlikely scenario where two engines go out. The same standart is of course not applied for everyday pax where twins are basically the norm.

Blerg

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Just booked a ticket on TK from BEG to IST . I was always annoyed by the fact they don't offer online checkin here. Anyone know why? Pretty strange for an airline that's doing so well here.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Blerg wrote:
Just booked a ticket on TK from BEG to IST . I was always annoyed by the fact they don't offer online checkin here. Anyone know why? Pretty strange for an airline that's doing so well here.

You mean no online check-in 24 hours in advance, right? If that is the case, I have no idea.

Blerg

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 pm

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You mean no online check-in 24 hours in advance, right? If that is the case, I have no idea.

Yes, it's so strange. Works perfectly fine in IST (which makes sense) but every time I try to check in online here it tells me to do it at the airport. Even tonight when I was booking it it wouldn't allow me to reserve a seat for a fee for the flight out of BEG, works perfectly the other way.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Blerg wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Yes, it's so strange. Works perfectly fine in IST (which makes sense) but every time I try to check in online here it tells me to do it at the airport. Even tonight when I was booking it it wouldn't allow me to reserve a seat for a fee for the flight out of BEG, works perfectly the other way.

Strange, it works for me from NY fine also. I would suggest to call and reserve a seat on the phone. Bon Voyage.

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Strange, it works for me from NY fine also. I would suggest to call and reserve a seat on the phone. Bon Voyage.

I also find TK online check-in to be rather hit and miss. Sometimes, it has refused to let me check-in online for flights out of BOS. Other times, it will let me check-in, but refuse to issue boarding passes online. Have no idea as to the internal reasons for this though...

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:01 pm

According to this website; TC-CAN has not been sold or rather been sold from TK to Turkish Government. So it is just an accounting sale. TC-CAN 345 is still with the VIP fleet. Let's wait and see if another source can second this.
http://www.kokpit.aero/tc-can-satildimi-tc-ank (Turkish Only)

Avianca

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
Avianca wrote:

Cheers
Avianca

as per my understanding the flight is still operated as originaly installed, any clue when they will seperate the flights?

Avianca

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
Avianca wrote:

Cheers
Avianca

To add to this bit of information, TK is also looking at additional traffic rights and capacity for the BOG-PTY route, it's only a matter of time before this route splits up with 5-weekly or daily flights for each. (Source: PTY TK Personnel)

but are they able to fligh nonstop out of BOG with A332?

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Avianca wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
Avianca wrote:

Cheers
Avianca

as per my understanding the flight is still operated as originaly installed, any clue when they will seperate the flights?

Hmmm... I stand corrected. You are right. They are still one flight. Strange, I could have sworn I saw IST-CCS-IST on flightradar24 the other day--must not have been looking too carefully.

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:45 pm

TK787 wrote:
According to this website; TC-CAN has not been sold or rather been sold from TK to Turkish Government. So it is just an accounting sale. TC-CAN 345 is still with the VIP fleet. Let's wait and see if another source can second this.
http://www.kokpit.aero/tc-can-satildimi-tc-ank (Turkish Only)

Great news if this is true.

Blerg

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:50 am

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
TK787 wrote:

It's ok, as always I'll show up two hours early and enjoy the empty tarmac as TK departs right after the morning rush-hour.

My return flight seems to be on the B739. Is there any logic to how TK assigns the 739 vs the 738/321? I know the 739 flies a lot to Africa so could it be that it's dispatched to Europe between two African rotations?

globetrotter94 wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I also find TK online check-in to be rather hit and miss. Sometimes, it has refused to let me check-in online for flights out of BOS. Other times, it will let me check-in, but refuse to issue boarding passes online. Have no idea as to the internal reasons for this though...

Actually, allowing me to check-in without issuing a boarding pass also happens to me. Nice to see that BEG is not the only destination where this happens.

TK105

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 am

Blerg wrote:
My return flight seems to be on the B739. Is there any logic to how TK assigns the 739 vs the 738/321? I know the 739 flies a lot to Africa so could it be that it's dispatched to Europe between two African rotations?

B739 in TK colors and special configuration is a great product to fly both in business and especially in economy. They are often used on ESB routes and just last friday I flew on one of them. Hope you will also enjoy it. But be prepared, TK can change the allocated frame type at last minute.

globetrotter94

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 am

TK105 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

B739 in TK colors and special configuration is a great product to fly both in business and especially in economy. They are often used on ESB routes and just last friday I flew on one of them. Hope you will also enjoy it. But be prepared, TK can change the allocated frame type at last minute.

Agreed. Besides, if you are resigned to flying a 737 (which, in general, is not a good experience compared to A320 family), might as well fly the biggest and most comfortable one.

Turkish350XWB

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

mafaky wrote:
Turkish350XWB wrote:
My wishlist covers the CS 100 to use 10x daily to LCY.

And where from? Gatwick, Luton, Heathrow??? :lol: :?

Well, we were talking about IST new airport, so I meant that one :)

stylo777

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:11 pm

According to this news
http://m.airkule.com/haber/THY-DE-SICAK ... ELER/30139 (Sorry in Turkish only), Turkish Airlines just kicked 9 F/A's. Another 6 pilots are on the edge of being fired as well.

Does anyone know the background of this story?

Blerg

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:04 am

Euroleague Final Four is taking place in Belgrade from 18.05 to 20.05. Serbian government allowed TK to dispatch its A333 on those days given that they are sponsoring the event.

Pegasus and Atlasjet have all announced additional flights on those days. Now, if Fenerbahce makes it then I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Turkish invasion especially since there is no visa regime between the two countries. I am sure TK will organize a few charter flights as there are no capacity restrictions on those.

gokmengs

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am

Hey everyone. Thanks TK787 for another thread, since I cant figure out how to quote multiple people, I will just write an essay here:)
My friend was at the INA yesterday, so here is the latest. From a construction stand point it is now certain that the airport will not be ready for Oct 29, behind about 70+ days, yet there is immense pressure from the government to have it open, so they will have to either open at a later date or get this open the airport with certain parts closed as if its work in progress, this means not all facilities -including the TK lounge- will be ready if they decide to proceed with the move. Since TK is completely in control of the son of number 1, I'm guessing they will actually open and move at that date and have TK pax endure horrid service. I'm hoping common sense will take over and delay the move of the airport and just do a ceremonial opening on the 29th and move when facilities are ready and pax will enjoy this what I consider to be the most amazing airport in the world.
As for the VIP 345, from what I understand it was an accounting sale and the plane will be in the fleet for years to come.
I took a trip to BGI and flew back from JFK on the way back to Istanbul on TK12 in J cabin. Is it me or the hard product for J cabin getting long in the tooth? I think they need an update, and almost every flight I took on the 330 and 777 had a non working seat or 2, I actually had 2 flights where the seat was inop.
Inbound trip to BGI I took VS and flew on Premium Economy, and it reminded me of how bad TK executed its comfort class product, the seat was great service was awesome but they just used too big of a cabin. I think TK should bring back comfort class but with half the capacity, I believe it will be successful that way.
Looking forward to everyones input as always.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 am

gokmengs wrote:
Hey everyone.

Hey you, thanks for the news and the rumors.
-Not sure what would be the repercussions for that, maybe "mafaky" can chime in. We know that airlines were told to stop flying to IST for few days while the move is taking place, schedules are out, tickets are being sold, plans made...to move away from that ( 70+ days ) would not be good. I understand that a project this size, delays/cost overruns could occur. And I also understand that there has to be a deadline when it should be open. Sometimes "a deadline" is given to motivate the progress of the construction. Maybe they were unrealistic with their deadline, that is possible, or even "a given" in Turkey. Just like I said many times before, I am staying away from INA until they figure things out. If I have to travel to Istanbul, I will do it JFK-XXX-SAW. I'm sure they will figure it out, Turks can adapt very easily, I just don't' want to be in it during the process. I have to remind everyone that, INA will continue to be a construction site for many more years to come :(
-I agree with the TK J product. Unlike you, I've never experienced a seat not working. This is the first thing I do when I arrive at my seat, put the seat to full flat position, since I know on the ground especially in IST they can have a technician take a look at it. Or I have a chance to change my seat. Soft product....another story. It is not the size/selection of food that make the soft product, it is the people, in my opinion. I'd rather have a smiling face/attention to detail/authority and know-how to deal with problems instead of kebab. "LAXintl" wrote few months back that TK is working on a new J product, maybe soon. We know that they are changing the catering company. And looks like they will offer "Duty Free" once again. But this time, I have a feeling you will order from your IFE screen and will be delivered to you at destination airport, somehow.
-I totally agree with what you are saying about the TK's ex Y+ product. I've been flying United and Delta Y Plus in the US and very happy with it. I have a flight to Europe on DL on Y+ and let's see how it goes. I miss Comfort Class on TK but having it only on 12 frames was not a good idea. Wouldn't it be nice to see it on the 787/350?
Thanks for the update.

mafaky

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:14 pm

stylo777 wrote:
According to this news
http://m.airkule.com/haber/THY-DE-SICAK ... ELER/30139 (Sorry in Turkish only), Turkish Airlines just kicked 9 F/A's. Another 6 pilots are on the edge of being fired as well.

Background is plain & simple: they were members of the opposing workers' union! :twisted: :mad:

mafaky

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:19 pm

PLS. DELETE !

mafaky

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Well, honestly speaking, I have very little news to give... Especially about the opening date!

However, this particular date should be of no surprise to IGA Consortium; it's indeed the "legal/official deadline" for hem. If, for some reason or the other, they cannot open the New Airport, they will be the first ones to be "severely accused". However, in such a mega project a delay of 70-90 days is indeed insignificant if you don't experience political pressure (which, regretfully, is what is/will be happening). The significance of the date (Oct. 29th) is actually a cover; the real target is to "make the big show, before the end of 2018" to prepare the infrastructure for upcoming elections. :x :grumpy:

On the other hand, I admit that "a forced opening" will bring numerous risks. The way out seems to be there should be a "ribbon cutting ceremony" on Oct. 29th and the actual transition should be made progressively. This means, starting at a "safe date" following the opening (which may and should not be Oct. 30th!!!), first all airlines except TK (and other Star Alliance ones) should move to INA. TK should join in, maybe 2-3 months after that. But in any case, these transitions should really be overnight.

How much IGA is mentally and much more, operationally prepared for this scenario? That is the big question. The sad truth is IGA partners have very little experience in a full sized airport & terminal handling operations, when you consider that some 65+ mio pax potential is being transferred. And we all know, nowhere on earth, an airport transition of this size has ever been experienced: it will be a first for everybody involved...

I do have some close business relation with one of IGA's subcontractors but unfortunately they are not (at all) on the physical construction side of the project. And IGA is a company working in a multiple of cells. One department does not know, what the other one is doing and how/good or bad. Each department simply tries to achieve the dates & targets prescribed. Only the very top management are aware of the actual situation... My guys are still out of the terminal, possibly after 2-3 months' time they will be totally inside that terminal. Then I may have more solid and realistic information.

stylo777

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

mafaky wrote:
stylo777 wrote:
According to this news

Background is plain & simple: they were members of the opposing workers' union! :twisted: :mad:

Well, no comment...
In a "developed world" being a member of opposing side would rather be part of democracy ;)

Blerg

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 pm

KK will be suspending BEG from this winter season. They launched flights after JU suspended their own about a year ago or so.
Air Serbia is planing to return to IST once the new airport opens.

AirbusA343

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am

RE: Usage of TK B739s

TC-JYA to TC-JYJ are mainly used for African flights but also do European flights.

TC-JYL to TC-JYP are mainly used for European flights but again, they sometimes to a few African flights.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:52 pm

A blast from the past; going through my stuff, I just found an old article from New York Times dating March 6th, 1997. Only 20 years ago, it reads:

"Tourism and the travel product continue to evolve in Turkey, making it easier and more comfortable to get acquainted with a country that bridges two continents. Obviously, Turkey must be doing something right: It welcomed 326,000 US visitors last year; an increase of 12.8% over 1995, when the US visitor numbers were 290,224.
Airline capacity from the US will expand this year, and travel will be easier with the introduction of nonstop daily flight on Delta from New York to Istanbul.
Additionally, subject to government approval, Turkish Airlines, which already operates daily nonstop New York to Istanbul flights, will inaugurate nonstop service three times a week on May 7 between Chicago and Istanbul."

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 pm

From routesonline.com:
"Turkish Airlines expands Garuda Indonesia codeshare from April 2018

Turkish Airlines and Garuda Indonesia last week expanded codeshare partnership, which sees TK-coded flight numbers being placed on Garuda Indonesia service beyond Jakarta. Approximately from 12APR18, planned new codeshare routes as follow.

Turkish Airlines operated by Garuda Indonesia
Jakarta – Denpasar
Jakarta – Melbourne
Jakarta – Sydney"

stylo777

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 am

a new logojet for TK:
A321 - TC-JTP with "Troy livery"

http://www.airkule.com/haber/THY-UCAGIN ... MESI/30184 here a few pictures

(actually, I can't recognize much, but the pictures might also be taken from an unfavorable angle)

mict

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

TK787 wrote:
From routesonline.com:
"Turkish Airlines expands Garuda Indonesia codeshare from April 2018

Turkish Airlines and Garuda Indonesia last week expanded codeshare partnership, which sees TK-coded flight numbers being placed on Garuda Indonesia service beyond Jakarta. Approximately from 12APR18, planned new codeshare routes as follow.

Turkish Airlines operated by Garuda Indonesia
Jakarta – Denpasar
Jakarta – Melbourne
Jakarta – Sydney"

How many codeshares does TK now have to Australia?

I think OZ, TG and SQ are also providing codeshare?

EDIT: Did a dummy search and you have all the above except OZ (weird I was almost certain they announced a codeshare a while ago, maybe not to Australia...).
But what I found interesting, they also have a codeshare with QF from CGK (and other places) to Australia, so what warrants these additional codeshares for the same routes?

stylo777

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am

mict wrote:
so what warrants these additional codeshares for the same routes?

flexibility for the customer, additional revenue for both airlines, variety of destinations otherwise not served

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

stylo777 wrote:
a new logojet for TK:
A321 - TC-JTP with "Troy livery"

http://www.airkule.com/haber/THY-UCAGIN ... MESI/30184 here a few pictures

(actually, I can't recognize much, but the pictures might also be taken from an unfavorable angle)

I feel the same way. Where is the Trojan horse in this livery? It looks like a scene from the Alien movie :)

Fuling

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:04 pm

mict wrote:
How many codeshares does TK now have to Australia?

I think OZ, TG and SQ are also providing codeshare?

TK may have an interline agreement with PR through MNL as well. I'm not sure. But I did fly on a PR issued ticket last July, (IST-MNL-MEL) with the IST-MNL sector being operated by TK. But I didn't notice if TK had their flight number on the PR flight. Quite a few transfers onto those MNL-Australia flights too. Any ideas?

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Hello all... I need some TK info.... guessing the answer already:)
What are the chances of having an airport hotel functioning at the new Istanbul airport at the end of November?
Asking for a friend transferring at Istanbul with a 9 hour layover. The airport code says IST (Ataturk) still on the United Airlines site where they are trying to buy tickets. I can not convince them that even though that is what it says on the UA website, no one except the few extra super duper powerful people in Turkey know the name of the new airport. So when UA website says IST, they mean INA (for November 2018)
-The new airport might not be even open
-Even if it is open by then, there might not be a functioning airport hotel by then.
-Even airport and hotel open, TK might not be giving out free hotel vouchers for J customers that have a long layover, like they are doing currently.
I am trying to convince them to take another option.
Any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

mafaky

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 pm

The terminal hotel will not be ready by the end of Nov. 2018. :mad:

OA260

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 am

mafaky wrote:
The terminal hotel will not be ready by the end of Nov. 2018. :mad:

To be honest that is not that bad. Of course it would be better for it to open in September but if it opens on time in November then it will be ok.

LAXintl

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am

Speaking about hotel, not sure everyone saw announcement from last week that UK based Yotel won the 25-year management contract for airports 451 room hotel.

Hotel will be mix of 102 airside rooms and landside 349 rooms.
For those not familiar with Yotel they manage properties globally including airport transit hotels in AMS and CDG plus landside ones at LGW and LHR.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 19593.html

mafaky

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm

@ OA260 :

Do you have a solid cue that this will not be only a ribbon opening ceremony and that the airport will be fully operational on Oct.29th? (And when I say "fully operational", I don't even imply that all 5 piers will be in operational readiness: some of them may not. For example this Terminal hotel will be located inside the main terminal body but near to PB4 pier! That part of the terminal will not be ready on Oct.29th!... :banghead: :evil: )

I know the deadlines pretty well. Yes, Istanbul New Airport (INA) has to be declared operational on 29th October for a multitude of reasons. However, I have lived long enough in Turkey and have witnessed so many pre-mature openings that the same practice in this one will not be surprising me, the least.

At the very moment, I'm still debating is inside myself what we may see on Oct. 29th, 30th or 31st:

1) Will this be purely a ribbon opening ceremony on 29th Oct.?
2) If not: will some of the airlines (except for TK & Star Alliance ones) be requested to shift to INA starting Oct. 30th, only? Apparently, TK, the biggest customer and airline operator of INA by far, doesn't want to be the guinea pig on the first days or even months of the operations and they are quite "safe and established at Ataturk AP", anyway. They have declared this many times, but at those days they also received strong resistance by the Government. But now, the Government has left with no excuse about this opening: The Parlimentary and Presidential Elections will not take place on Nov. 3, 2019 and rather these will take place on June 24th, 2018 (at a very early date). So the only significance of this opening will be Republic's 95th Anniversary. (and also the deadline for the BOTS Consortium to deliver the first phase of the Project...) The current President Erdoğan doesn't even has the %100 guarantee that if he will be delivering that opening speech on Oct. 29th, or somebody else...
3) If above mentioned in (2) will be workable, then will TK join in early beg. 2019 or even at a later date (say mid 2019)?

MeCe

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Turkey has more things priority over INA nowadays. Beside politics, couple of economic counter measures must be taken according to current economic heads. Even INA is BOT project it was heavily promoted. If this era ended builders might find them incapable of contiune this kind of construction speed.

aldrigsomandre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:49 pm

mafaky wrote:
2) If not: will some of the airlines (except for TK & Star Alliance ones) be requested to shift to INA starting Oct. 30th, only? Apparently, TK, the biggest customer and airline operator of INA by far, doesn't want to be the guinea pig on the first days or even months of the operations and they are quite "safe and established at Ataturk AP", anyway. They have declared this many times, but at those days they also received strong resistance by the Government. But now, the Government has left with no excuse about this opening: The Parlimentary and Presidential Elections will not take place on Nov. 3, 2019 and rather these will take place on June 24th, 2018 (at a very early date). So the only significance of this opening will be Republic's 95th Anniversary. (and also the deadline for the BOTS Consortium to deliver the first phase of the Project...) The current President Erdoğan doesn't even has the %100 guarantee that if he will be delivering that opening speech on Oct. 29th, or somebody else...
3) If above mentioned in (2) will be workable, then will TK join in early beg. 2019 or even at a later date (say mid 2019)?

?
What effect would a leadership change have on the operations and opening of the new airport do you reckon? I don't know if this counts as political talk but I find it important.

mafaky

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm

What effect would a leadership change have on the operations and opening of the new airport do you reckon? I don't know if this counts as political talk but I find it important.

Well, regretfully, it does lead to political talk. In a democratic country (say, in Western standards), any change of leadership will have no effect on the opening of a new airport. It also should be the very same in Turkey, unless the politicians do not attempt to gain something extra out of these mega projects. A sound and liberal politician in the Western states would normally say: "We thank the BOTS Consortium and all the others making this project happen! Good day to all, and have safe flights!" Whereas, in Turkey the typical opportunistic politician will say: "We did it, we did it!!! Nobody else could have done it! The stone heads before us couldn't even dream it! Therefore we are the greatest so you have to give your votes to us!" :scratchchin: :shhh:

Otherwise, "an airport is an airport" and such airport operations (starting from the construction and following the opening), by nature, have to be totally immune from political considerations or gainings.

aldrigsomandre

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 pm

mafaky wrote:

Well, regretfully, it does lead to political talk. In a democratic country (say, in Western standards), any change of leadership will have no effect on the opening of a new airport. It also should be the very same in Turkey, unless the politicians do not attempt to gain something extra out of these mega projects. A sound and liberal politician in the Western states would normally say: "We thank the BOTS Consortium and all the others making this project happen! Good day to all, and have safe flights!" Whereas, in Turkey the typical opportunistic politician will say: "We did it, we did it!!! Nobody else could have done it! The stone heads before us couldn't even dream it! Therefore we are the greatest so you have to give your votes to us!" :scratchchin: :shhh:

Otherwise, "an airport is an airport" and such airport operations (starting from the construction and following the opening), by nature, have to be totally immune from political considerations or gainings.

I just wanted to ask because the new airport is very much a "current government" project, no?

I'm sure it'll be opened, but, maybe the timeframe will be stretched a little bit or there'll be a soft opening instead of an overnight relocation etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos