Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shamrock350

Re: Irish 4/18; Aviating in April

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 am

Air Italy's first A330 was painted in Dublin recently but was rejected by Qatar/Air Italy officials due to the quality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93967596@ ... otostream/

Some suggest it was painted incorrectly, tail design is visibly further forward than on their 737, others claim the wrong shades of green and maroon were used. Guessing this was IAC, who mess up the Aer Lingus shamrock every single time?

We all know QR has no problem rejecting anything that isn't up to their ridiculously high standards but at least they stick to their standards, EI seem happy to accept poorly painted A330s from IAC every time. The only occasion when the Shamrock is painted to standard on the tail is when it's fresh from Toulouse,

OA260

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:27 am

Aer Lingus has announced additional flights to Bilbao for European Champions Cup Final on May 12.
Following Leinster’s victory this afternoon, the airline has announced four additional services from Dublin to Bilbao.
Aer Lingus currently operates a three times weekly service from Dublin to Bilbao.
The four additional services from Dublin to Bilbao will be operated by a larger Airbus A330 aircraft offering 546 roundtrip journeys for fans.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other ... 38545.html

——

No plans to introduce passport scanning eGates at Cork Airport

There are no plans to introduce passport-scanning eGates at Cork Airport, despite their success in Dublin.

20 eGates were installed in Dublin four months ago and since then more than a million passengers have successfully used them.

The eGates offer certain categories of arriving passengers - passport holders from the European Economic Area and Switzerland who are over 18 years of age and hold a modern, chipped passport - a "self-service" type channel to clear immigration control. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) has plans to further improve the service and increase the numbers of passengers using this entry channel.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/No-p ... 2e6cbce-ds

eirflot

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:58 am

How interesting
We call an airline that keeps to its brand standard ridicolous!!
Must be an Irish thing - sure it will be alright on the day!!!
We have learned to accept less than as the new standard across the country!!
How sad!

shamrock350

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:41 pm

eirflot wrote:
How interesting
We call an airline that keeps to its brand standard ridicolous!!
Must be an Irish thing - sure it will be alright on the day!!!
We have learned to accept less than as the new standard across the country!!
How sad!

Hold on, reread what I said. Qatar is well known for its high standards, they cancelled an entire aircraft order over them even after the first frames were built, it’s kind of a running joke on A.net hence my comment. It wasn’t a criticism of Qatar.

The real question I was raising was if this was IAC and why it appears they’re delivering sub standard paint jobs to Aer Lingus (who accept it) and Air Italy/Qatar (who don’t).

eirflot

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Shamrock350 I fully understood your original post and your last post underscores my comment perfectly

That EI accepts substandard is regrettable and that QR does not is commendable

Let's put it all down to irish humour

JAmie2k9

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Air Italy's first A330 was painted in Dublin recently but was rejected by Qatar/Air Italy officials due to the quality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93967596@ ... otostream/

Some suggest it was painted incorrectly, tail design is visibly further forward than on their 737, others claim the wrong shades of green and maroon were used. Guessing this was IAC, who mess up the Aer Lingus shamrock every single time?

We all know QR has no problem rejecting anything that isn't up to their ridiculously high standards but at least they stick to their standards, EI seem happy to accept poorly painted A330s from IAC every time. The only occasion when the Shamrock is painted to standard on the tail is when it's fresh from Toulouse,

EI usually put themselves under to much time pressure so they could rarely contemplate a rejection. I mean just look at the QR set up this summer, no internal refit until winter 2018/19.

Anyway hopefully the A321s will be painted before arrival.

EISHN

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 am

Will the A330 Aer Lingus are receiving from Qatar be refitted with the EI business product before entering service?

OA260

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 am

Traveller families seek six-figure compensation as Dublin Airport build new runway

A number of traveller families are seeking compensation from Dublin Airport after they will be moved to make space for a new runway.

The traveller families have been living in Collinstown for upwards of 30 years and The Sunday Times is reporting that up to 14 families are seeking compensation of between €100,000 and €800,000 from the Fingal County Council to allow them to move away from the site.

The Dublin Airport Authority has been given permission to build the runway and are asking the Fingal County Council to ensure that the lands are vacated to allow for the building of the runway.

www.buzz.ie/news/traveller-families-see ... ort-282155

--
Figures Show Dip In Passenger Numbers At Shannon Airport

New figures point to descending Passenger numbers at Shannon Airport.

The latest figures from the CSO show over 341,000 passengers passed through the Mid-West facility in the last three months of last year, a drop of almost 2% on the same period in 2016.

It’s the only Irish airport to experience a drop in footfall over the same period.

www.clare.fm/news/figures-show-dip-pass ... n-airport/

bx737

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

EISHN wrote:
Will the A330 Aer Lingus are receiving from Qatar be refitted with the EI business product before entering service?

I believe it will have the Qatar interior and be refitted into the full Aer Lingus interior over winter 18/19

shamrock350

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am

On another note, Aer Lingus appear to have fitted mood lighting to some A320s over the winter. At least one A330 has got it and there's a photo on twitter from yesterday showing an A320 with a blue hue. It's a small detail but definitely improves the cabin appearance.

JAmie2k9 wrote:
EI usually put themselves under to much time pressure so they could rarely contemplate a rejection. I mean just look at the QR set up this summer, no internal refit until winter 2018/19.

I understand the time pressure, especially on the A330 fleet but some of those Shamrocks have been applied so badly it's embarrassing. Once is a mistake but it's happened to every A330 repainted, you'd have to ask why is IAC getting it so wrong and now with Air Italy as well?

I'm guessing the A321LR's will be fresh from Toulouse, fully painted and cabin fitted like the A330s are. We must only be a year away from seeing the first batch!

eirflot

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 am

You answered your own question earlier- because they are allowed to get away with it.
It seems, though we are lectured differently here, EI don't actually care about the brand just bums on seats,
end of!

Which is a real shame
The DAA have the same problem these days!

Orlaithdub

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
On another note, Aer Lingus appear to have fitted mood lighting to some A320s over the winter. At least one A330 has got it and there's a photo on twitter from yesterday showing an A320 with a blue hue. It's a small detail but definitely improves the cabin appearance.

JAmie2k9 wrote:

I understand the time pressure, especially on the A330 fleet but some of those Shamrocks have been applied so badly it's embarrassing. Once is a mistake but it's happened to every A330 repainted, you'd have to ask why is IAC getting it so wrong and now with Air Italy as well?

I'm guessing the A321LR's will be fresh from Toulouse, fully painted and cabin fitted like the A330s are. We must only be a year away from seeing the first batch!

Could you post here the twitter link for that photo please?

Orlaithdub

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Is there any official date already for the announcement of the new Aer Lingus Routes, in early May? And has any deals been finalised? All the airports applications for future routes have been sent and its now closed right?

OA260

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Orlaithdub wrote:

https://twitter.com/paul_deegan/status/ ... 9492560896

OA260

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Fast Track at BHD is closed until July and they are advising people to arrive earlier due to congestion.

WORK BEGINS ON £15 MILLION UPGRADE AT BELFAST CITY AIRPORT

Release Date: 23 Apr 2018

Work as part of a £15 million upgrade project to improve the passenger experience at George Best Belfast City Airport is now underway.

The major infrastructure investment includes an upgrade of the airport’s departure lounge, incorporating its retail, food and beverage offering.

This element of the works is being delivered by leading construction company H&J Martin Fit Out, which is now on site at the airport. Work is now progressing on the first phase of the project which involves demolition works and preparation of areas for the new retail fit-out and is on schedule.

Upcoming works will include additional food and beverage outlets, new and enlarged toilet facilities in Departures, as well as more seating areas.

Announced earlier this year, the entire works will be contained within the current terminal building and will be completed by October 2018.

www.belfastcityairport.com/News/15MILLI ... -HJ-MARTIN

shamrock350

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 pm

OA260 wrote:
Orlaithdub wrote:

Thanks OA!

Looks like EI-DEF (A320) and EI-EDY (A333) have been fitted this winter. Unconfirmed that a second A320 also has it. Seems like a slow roll out or trial basis.

OA260

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Orlaithdub wrote:

Thanks OA!

Welcome. IIRC the first EI aircraft to get mood lighting was on the lease to VS? Its a small thing but does indeed make a difference.

Eirules

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am

Anyone any ideas which lounge EI use at SEA for their flight? The website says TBC & when I contacted them via twitter I was given & link to the website!

shamrock350

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:46 am

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Welcome. IIRC the first EI aircraft to get mood lighting was on the lease to VS? Its a small thing but does indeed make a difference.

That's right but it was removed for some unknown reason when they returned to Aer Lingus. Both aircraft, EI-DEO and -DEI were repainted into the Green Spirit livery so are easy to spot as former Little Red aircraft. The other two frames, EI-EZV and -EZW were specifically leased in by Aer Lingus for the Little Red operation and returned to Aer Lingus for a few years before moving onto Allegiant and Brussels Airlines respectively.

Not sure why Aer Lingus went to the effort of removing or deactivating the mood lighting only to introduce it again a few years later?! Maybe it was considered non-standard at the time and didn't want to have additional maintenance concerns for something that wasn't planned to be fleet wide. Hard to believe it's been five years since Little Red first started!

BrianDromey

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 am

I don’t think the little red fleet was fitted with mood lighting, I think it was just pink/purple bulbs / light covers. It might have been more complex but I don’t honk it was a dynamic system like the A330 appears to have?

bx737

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Just having a look at Aviator.aero email I received today. It states that Ryanair has exercised 25 further options for then 737 MAX200 bringing its total orders for the MAX200 to 135, with the first delivery scheduled for the first half of 2019. It also states that Air Nostrum is establishing and Irish based wet leasing operation, Hibernian Airlines. It is hoped to have it operational by the end of 2018 with three CRJ1000s. They are in discussions with potential airline customers and potential investors

Armaghman

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43879729

So Belfast International changes hands again. Will be interesting to see if can bring anything to the party.

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 am

"Profits after tax before exceptional items increased by 16% to €125 million, driven by higher passenger numbers at airports in Ireland, increased commercial income and growth in daa’s overseas businesses.

Total passenger numbers at Dublin and Cork airports increased by 6% to a record 31.9 million last year. Dublin Airport enjoyed its seventh consecutive year of passenger growth while Cork Airport, which is the State’s second-largest aviation gateway, increased its traffic for the second year running."

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... al-results

planemanofnz

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:21 pm

CX is extremely happy with forward bookings for its new DUB service.

See: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3473754.

This is not surprising - a DUB - Asia link has been overdue for years.

Key points:

- There's a good mix of passenger and cargo traffic - the latter, particularly with pharma
- There's a good mix of in-bound and out-bound traffic, with Asia in-bound surprising CX
- CX is not ruling out further expansion at DUB, in line with its history at places like TLV

It's such a shame that EI has missed out on Asia / Australasia - imagine a JV with CX on DUB - HKG, and code-sharing through to Asia / Australasia on CX!

SQ has to be next - surely! They have the advantage on CX when it comes to Australasia, which is where I imagine a large chunk of the demand lies for CX.

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
CX is extremely happy with forward bookings for its new DUB service.

No surprise as CX did their homework and had certain deals in place before they announced it. EI did not miss anything to be honest. They have a strong European and TATL brand but would be very weak in the Asian market. You needed an airline like CX with their vast onward network from HKG to make DUB-HKG work.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm

That's great news and let's hope it continues that way. I heard a rumour recently that they were looking to upgrade to 77Ws, but I thought the A350-1000 would be a more natural choice for increased frequencies (once they had increased to a daily frequency).

This is such an important route for Ireland and I am delighted that it is looking so good, so far.

Skyblue39

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 am

DAA Chief Dalton Philips hints at next targets for Dublin:

The airport boss also hopes to secure direct routes to cities such as Shenzhen in China, Tokyo and Delhi within the next three to five years, as Dublin continues to expand as a passenger hub.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.indepen ... 44818.html

BestWestern

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 am

The French company Vinci has bought Belfast International Airport. Vinci are excellent operators. Anyone who has seen their transformation of Cambodian airports into world class facilities should be hopeful of a step change in Aldergrove .

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43879729

AmricanShamrok

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm

The orientation of the main runway at ORK has changed from 17/35 to 16/34 due to magnetic variation:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... 3?mode=amp

BrianDromey

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
It's such a shame that EI has missed out on Asia / Australasia - imagine a JV with CX on DUB - HKG, and code-sharing through to Asia / Australasia on CX!

SQ has to be next - surely! They have the advantage on CX when it comes to Australasia, which is where I imagine a large chunk of the demand lies for CX.

I don't think EI are too late to the party just yet. SIN, KUL, CPT and JNB were rapidly added to the BA/EI codeshare when EI joint IAG, so my money would be one these destinations being the first EI long-haul route outside North America.

I can't see EI ever having an EK-like Asian network, but SIN could make sense, helping to feed the BA service to SYD, for example. Its also possible that there would be decent onward feed with QF and SQ, for example. KUL is also a strong unserved destination from DUB and a big MH/Air Asia hub. South Africa would be a fantastic destination, although Im not sure Ireland can support it, the charters didn't last long. There would be good demand from the UK, which could help with loadings on afternoon/evening UK/EU flights into DUB and the BA branded Comair services in ZA wouldn't hurt either.

dstc47

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 am

BrianDromey wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

SQ has to be next - surely! ...............one these destinations being the first EI long-haul route outside North America.

You have already forgotten EI's sad flirtation with Dubai, how time flies!

Cant see that very long haul operations by EI are ever going to make a lot of sense and certainly very little money, given aircraft and crew utilization constraints, the lack of brand identity in Asia and the competitive nature of the marketplace, myself. Stick to the pond.

planemanofnz

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 am

dstc47 wrote:
You have already forgotten EI's sad flirtation with Dubai, how time flies!

Eh, more than a decade ago - 2007 versus 2018 is apples versus oranges - plus, DXB is not any HKG or SIN, when it comes to O&D, Asian / Australasian connections, and cargo.

dstc47 wrote:
Cant see that very long haul operations by EI are ever going to make a lot of sense ... the lack of brand identity in Asia and the competitive nature of the marketplace ...

Oh, please - how many western carriers had no brand identity in Asia before launching operations there? IB (also in IAG) had no recognition in Asia, but still launched PVG / NRT.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 am

BrianDromey wrote:
SIN, KUL, CPT and JNB were rapidly added to the BA/EI codeshare when EI joint IAG, so my money would be one these destinations being the first EI long-haul route outside North America.

I disagree - KUL has too low-yielding demand, while JNB is similar, has competition from ET, and is hot and high, limiting performance. CPT and BKK might work as seasonal leisure routes, while SIN is too far for the 332's, so would have to be done with the 359's, if they ever reach the EI fleet.

PEK, PVG, ICN and NRT are more viable for EI's 332's ex-DUB, and are all much larger and richer cities than most in ASEAN. Indeed, PVG and NRT were IB's pick when they went to Asia. If CZ moves to oneworld, as has been rumoured, that might bolster the case for PEK, with a CZ tie-up.

Aside from EI though, I definitely see SQ looking at Ireland (with a 359) - SQ is the one carrier that can beat the ME3 and CX on Australasian connections, plus SIN and DUB have a lot of business connections through being global asset management / aircraft leasing / technology / pharma hubs.

Cheers,

C.

Galwayman

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am

I can see EI going back to DXB with the A321LR , there’s lots of stranded QR fans in Dubai who will want an alternative to EK

I can also say winter flights to CPT with feed from the US , so a daytime schedule down to CPT like KLM does with a quick turn around feeding NYC, ORD , Boston

Sin / Bol/ Kul - not worth it , DUb has the wrong geography , yields are poor ( except Sin)... even BA struggles with Kul and Bkk

..... in my humble opinion

planemanofnz

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am

Galwayman wrote:
I can see EI going back to DXB

Galwayman wrote:
Sin ... not worth it

I totally disagree - if anything, the Middle East will be the one place to the east that EI avoids - it's already more than adequately served with up to 5 x daily flights by EK, EY and/or QR.

In contrast, ASEAN is unserved from Ireland, despite business traffic to SIN, tourism connections to places like BKK, and VFR connections to Australasia (~100,000 Irish in Australasia).

IMO, the reason why DUB hasn't had Asian links sooner is because of runway length, but as CX has shown, new planes like the 359 (and 789) can get around this. SQ will be watching.

If the EK - QF alliance disbands (as rumoured, with QF by-passing DXB), QF might turn back to BA, in which case there's nothing stopping an EI - QF tie-up at SIN (should EI get 359's).

Cheers,

C.

Galwayman

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:06 am

Underserved or over served , it will be impossible for EI to make a profit on ASEAN flights , even if they sell every seat on every flight every day ... mile be mile flights to ASEAN are pretty much being given away for pennies ....book a package including hotel and the flights are almost free several months of the year , there’s no money for EI there .... but yes I would love to be proved wrong , would be amazing

planemanofnz

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Galwayman wrote:
... it will be impossible for EI to make a profit on ASEAN flights ...

I totally disagree. There are no non-stop flights - hence, EI could charge a premium to SIN over, say, EK or QR. There's your yield. Would there be time-sensitive people willing to pay a premium? Absolutely - take the high-value aircraft leasing industry as just one example, with SMBC Aviation Capital, AerCap, Avolon and others having large bases/headquarters in Ireland, as well as regional offices in SIN.

Cheers,

C.

BrianDromey

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:37 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
I can see EI going back to DXB

Galwayman wrote:
Sin ... not worth it

I totally disagree - if anything, the Middle East will be the one place to the east that EI avoids - it's already more than adequately served with up to 5 x daily flights by EK, EY and/or QR.

In contrast, ASEAN is unserved from Ireland, despite business traffic to SIN, tourism connections to places like BKK, and VFR connections to Australasia (~100,000 Irish in Australasia).

IMO, the reason why DUB hasn't had Asian links sooner is because of runway length, but as CX has shown, new planes like the 359 (and 789) can get around this. SQ will be watching.

If the EK - QF alliance disbands (as rumoured, with QF by-passing DXB), QF might turn back to BA, in which case there's nothing stopping an EI - QF tie-up at SIN (should EI get 359's).

Cheers,

C.

There are some interesting opinions, polar opposites, it seems.
I don't see EI coming back to DXB, or any middle east destination with EK, EY and QR. QR aren't the ideal ME partner right now, but I think medium/long-term if EI are going to work with anyone in the region QR are the obvious ones. QR do have experience of operating narrow-body aircraft into smaller markets, so could probably guide EI if they were to use the A321LR.

If EI were to launch to AESAN destinations I would expect that they would use the A350 and the new runway would have to be operational, which is likely to be 2021? By then the CX route will have shown itself and the A321LR will all have been delivered. It is hardly outlandish to suggest that EI will be looking for more growth opportunities at that stage and growing the wide body fleet. The A339/A359/B789 would seem like sensible choices capable of reaching the US and ASEAN cities EI would be interested in serving. Hot and high performance is much better on the A359 than earlier models, but even SA are using the A333 on JNB-LHR these days.

EI321

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Dubai and Lagos are two routes that will be operationally in range of the new A321's. Launching a 2-3 flight per week A321 schedule to Dubai could possibly work on O&D traffic alone. I cant imagine the powers that be being very encouraging of a Lagos route sadly.

Jayafe

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
If EI were to launch to AESAN destinations I would expect that they would use the A350 and the new runway would have to be operational, which is likely to be 2021?

BrianDromey wrote:
The A339/A359/B789 would seem like sensible choices capable of reaching the US and ASEAN cities EI would be interested in serving. Hot and high performance is much better on the A359 than earlier models, but even SA are using the A333 on JNB-LHR these days.

EI is not getting A359s in the short/mid term, even less the 787 with 0 commonality, and only used by BA within IAG. A33x (pref 330ceo due to price) is they way they have decided to go with for EI for WB fleet.

JAmie2k9

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Eirules wrote:
Anyone any ideas which lounge EI use at SEA for their flight? The website says TBC & when I contacted them via twitter I was given & link to the website!

Updated now, they will use the The Club at SEA (next to gate A-11).

Concourse A is the main terminal area where all EI partners operate from (JB, AC, UA) and most Alaska Airlines. International carriers are usually located at South Satellite.

planemanofnz

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:15 am

Jayafe wrote:
EI is not getting A359s in the short/mid term, even less the 787 with 0 commonality, and only used by BA within IAG. A33x (pref 330ceo due to price) is they way they have decided to go with for EI for WB fleet.

It's noteworthy that EI doesn't actually need 359's or 789's for Asian expansion - its 332's are capable of a host of routes, like DUB - PEK / ICN / NRT. To put things into perspective, PEK is even closer to DUB than LAX is (though would be unlikely now, with HU's DUB launch).

Cheers,

C.

stratocruiser

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 am

I think HKG could have been perhaps the only viable Asian destination for EI from DUB as it would be a good O&D destination in its own right and is a great transit point for flights to other Far Eastern destinations and Australia. However this would only have been possible if agreement could have been reached with CX for onward connections and with CX entering the DUB market this is now 'water under the bridge' as they will surely be trying to build up this market themselves. I don't think any of the other Asian destinations mentioned earlier wouldn't be sustainable for EI - although SIN was suggested as another good transit point particularly to Australia, I imagine that this might have not been very attractive to EI's overlord IAG who wouldn't probably prefer EI passengers traveling to Australia to transit to BA flights at LHR rather than SIN. EI still has plenty of scope to develop its network to North America and I think this is where they are best concentrating their long haul efforts in the short to medium term but, to sustain TATL growth, they will need to develop or modify their short haul network to provide improved connectivity from more European destinations.

planemanofnz

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:53 am

stratocruiser wrote:
CX ... will surely be trying to build up this market themselves.

Not necessarily - CX has a history of 'sharing the pie' through metal-neutral revenue-sharing JV's. For example, on AKL - HKG with NZ (despite NZ not being in oneworld). I could envisage a scenario where CX and EI each fly DUB - HKG, in partnership. Why would IAG bother? Well, it's about bolstering EI's brand loyalty in Ireland, and continuing to keep EI relevant - premium Irish traffic would likely fly a non-stop route than a one-stop one via the IAG LHR hub any day - does IAG really want to miss out on this potential revenue to CX and others in Asia? For now, perhaps, but all forecasts are that Ireland's trade with Asia is going to boom in the next 10 years, and the opportunities are enormous.

Cheers,

C.

David_itl

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Why would IAG bother? Well, it's about bolstering EI's brand loyalty in Ireland, and continuing to keep EI relevant - premium Irish traffic would likely fly a non-stop route than a one-stop one via the IAG LHR hub any day - does IAG really want to miss out on this potential revenue to CX and others in Asia? For now, perhaps, but all forecasts are that Ireland's trade with Asia is going to boom in the next 10 years, and the opportunities are enormous.

Bear in mind the BA and CX codeshare MAN-LHR but do not codeshare the daily MAN-HKG non-stop service. Search on the BA website and we find "Sorry, there are no direct flights for this route, flights with connections are below.", IAG appear to be not overly fussed in missing out on the MAN route/premium flyers and so I hardly think they will brokering a deal for DUB-HKG that offers fewer non-stop departures than MAN.

DalRiada

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
although SIN was suggested as another good transit point particularly to Australia, I imagine that this might have not been very attractive to EI's overlord IAG who wouldn't probably prefer EI passengers traveling to Australia to transit to BA flights at LHR rather than SIN..

I'm not so sure on that. If I want to go to Australia from DUB, and the two options are DUB-LHR-SIN-Australia or DUB-DXB-Australia, I'll be taking option number two unless it is much more expensive. If the choice is DUB-SIN-Australia or DUB-DXB-Australia, then there is a far higher probability that I will book with an IAG carrier for at least some of the journey.

HTCone

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Only problem for premium pax is that J class on the EK 777s is woeful, as is BA J. EI beats both. Not the EK 380s though, that’s magic. QR and CX are regarded as being top notch in premium cabins, as are most SE Asia legacy carriers in fairness.

No way would I pay to fly in BA J or on the EK 777, if I got that middle seat I’d be furious.

JAmie2k9

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 pm

28 April 1958 (60 years ago today) was the first ever Aer Lingus transatlantic flight to JFK.

EI321

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Is the white A330 sitting beside the Aer Lingus hangar in Dublin going to Aer Lingus? The fleet is getting so big that I'm beginning to loose track!

alancostello

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm

EI321 wrote:
Is the white A330 sitting beside the Aer Lingus hangar in Dublin going to Aer Lingus? The fleet is getting so big that I'm beginning to loose track!

Pretty sure that's the ex-QR frame mentioned at the top of the page, it's destined for Air Italy, was painted in DUB and rejected by QR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos